Lack of RP at RP event? 02/19/2007 07:38 PM CST
The Silver and White ball, held last night, was a fairly major dissappointment. I was expecting the GM based characters to do more than stand around and occasionally acknowledge one another. The lack of actual interesting discourse from them left those around grasping at straws in an attempt to roleplay the situation. It honestly felt like a few GM's wrote up some food items, and decided to open up the area for the night, without considering what they would actually do there.

There, I've been critical and gotten it off my shoulders.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/19/2007 07:49 PM CST
>It honestly felt like a few GM's wrote up some food items, and decided to open up the area for the night, without considering what they would actually do there.

Maybe they did? Sometimes the players need to provide SOME substance.

Though if the party was as disrupted as everyone seems to imply, maybe they never got around to stuff.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/19/2007 08:44 PM CST
Ok...someone correct me if I am absolutely mistaken. Shortly after the keep opened and the princess began circling around was there not an announcement that everyone should move to the throne room or something so Vorclaf could make some sort of speech or something? I was guilty of following the prince around only because I was waiting for something interesting to happen. Considering this is the first time I've seen the Prince ever my impression of him was not a good one. He seemed challenged, he got lost in his own keep trying to find the fountain. All he could say half the night was, "My wife likes the fountain." "Maybe I should put a bench next to the fountain" "Isn't the fountain pretty?"

I think had there been more RPing from the so called "hosts" of this party it would have been alot more fun. In short, I doubt I'd attend another one of these get togethers. From what I see it was basically a "Look, we're going to hold this ball, we'll tell the guests they HAVE to wear silver and white. The traders will gather items, and they'll get rich. Then all we have to do is log in the GMNPC's and kick back." I saw a few reasonable questions directed at the Prince several times, not once, unless it was one of his cronies, did he respond to any of the "less well known" players. That's just my 2 cents on the whole thing. It was boring, lame, made even lamer by several of the people there who felt the need to be completely obscene. If there had been better security half of the people acting up should have been removed upon the first or second offense which would allow for better roleplaying and decent crowd control.
River

>flee e

You wonder if your envelope is the home of an evil spirit.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/19/2007 09:36 PM CST
Greetings,

I am sorry you had a poor experience and hope that you will try another event of this sort, as one bad apple shouldn't spoil them all for you. The announcement to move to the throne room unfortunately came from a player and with the confusion, it took us a bit of time to catch up to it and direct folks back out into the crowd. The people doing the security were also the ones that were trying to RP with at one point 250 people. We had a remarkable group of GM's trying to handle the totally unexpected numbers of players with all the incidents going on and trying very hard through massive scroll, multiple rooms, and the overwhelming whispers that all GMNPC's receive, to provide some entertainment for the evening.

Please remember as well, as often as the GM's are called Gods...they get sick, their cars break, they lose connections, they lag and sometimes can't read or type as fast as the next God. I'm very proud to have such a great team around me to work with even through all that sort of thing.

Adera

Life is the journey, not the destination.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/20/2007 01:13 AM CST
I'd like to say that I had a good time. I enjoyed doing something different other then hunting when I had to shop for myself and the hubby. Being a girl, part of the fun about the ball was the "Outfit", kinda like the oscars...no one really cares about the awards they just want to see what everyone is wearing. I kept trying to LOOK at everyone to see what they had on but there was alot of scroll..whew.

I also got a good laugh at Meannes solo scooby dooing around the dance floor. :) I felt a little bad for the GMs as there was ALOT of people there and trying to make sure everything ran smoothly I'm sure was a bit of a headache. I would like to thank them none the less for thier time. I think when the "Sedition and you" post was made people began to anticipate something bad might happen and got a little excited over it and was probably the only reason they even attended.

I'd also like to thank the GMs for the gifts as well, the wristlets and boutinerres were lovely.

-Entyycement
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/20/2007 01:16 AM CST
I'd like to say that I had a good time. I enjoyed doing something different other then hunting when I had to shop for myself and the hubby. Being a girl, part of the fun about the ball was the "Outfit", kinda like the oscars...no one really cares about the awards they just want to see what everyone is wearing. I kept trying to LOOK at everyone to see what they had on but there was alot of scroll..whew.

I got a good laugh at Meannes solo scooby dooing around the dance floor. :) I felt a little bad for the GMs as there was ALOT of people there and trying to make sure everything ran smoothly I'm sure was a bit of a headache. I would like to thank them none the less for thier time. I think when the "Sedition and you" post was made people began to anticipate something bad might happen and got a little excited over it and was probably the only reason they even attended.

I'd also like to thank the GMs for the gifts as well, the wristlets and boutinerres were lovely.

-Entyycement

Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/20/2007 01:47 PM CST
I was pleased to see the Khalo make an appearance, she's a sweetheart.

~Arwinia

You are Shrimpstar, a Prydaen Bard.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted clear colored eyes. Your amber mane is short and thick, and is worn tousled. You have grey fur and a slender tail.
You look tired.

You are wearing nothing special.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/21/2007 06:57 PM CST
I enjoyed myself, even if I did end up in the dungeon.

I am --- Navak
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/21/2007 09:10 PM CST
I just wanted to address this:

>>>The announcement to move to the throne room unfortunately came from a player ...

I'm fairly sure I went in there after Gyfford directed us to. Granted he's from Therengia, but he IS a Baron. I figured he'd know if something was about to happen.

I will say that the Prince kinda reminded me of some videos I've seen lately of Britney and Anna Nicole. He seemed kinda loopy.

~Dulcinia

SEND[Solomon] Change your forums signature please?

[Jenealle] "The wedding was very emotional. Even the cake was in tiers."
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/26/2007 10:59 AM CST
Adera,

Overall it was a fun night. I understand the enormous headache that running something like that can be.

A few things come to mind that might help future events of the same type go more smoothly.

1) Employ PC ushers.

During the S&W, the Therengian contingent was left standing in the foyer wondering where they were supposed to be. In general, it was difficult to figure out what was supposed to be going on and it was unclear who to even ask about that.

Having some PCs walking around with an "Usher" title who have been briefed on the night's programme of events would solve that problem.

At the S&W, for example, one PC could have stood just inside the Keep to smile and welcome visitors with something like: "Welcome to Ulf'hara keep. Drinks are in the dining room and dancing is in the ballrom. Please mingle and enjoy yourselves!"

That would have let guests know what to expect and how to approach the evening. Some wandering ushers could have answered other questions.

PC court officials can be tapped to brief in and organize the ushers for the night. Give the courtiers the programme, tell them what you expect, and let them make the arrangements. Hold them accountable (with praise or otherwise) for the results.

2. Have a programme and publish it.

Even if it's as simple as this..

1) Guests will arive at gathering place.
2) Guests mingle and enjoy themselves!

That lets people know how they should set their expectations. A little more structure could even be a good thing. For example:

1) 7pm est. - Guests arrive.
2) 7:15 - Formal welcome in the Throne Room.
3) 7:30-8 - Mingling and dancing.
4) 8:15-8:30- Formal toasts.
. more stuff here.
5) 10pm - Guests return to throne room for closing ceremony and formal thanks.

Most formal events I've been to IRL have had some programme of that sort available. It allows guests to relax and enjoy themselves without worrying about what is going to happen next and where they should be.

3) Have a no-tolerance disciplinary policy.

There is a balance of interests to be struck between allowing people to RP the way they want to and having an event run smoothly. At the S&W, you guys very much erred on the side of tolerance. For the next one, I think you have some leeway to go the other way.

A reasonable and IC approach might be something like this:

If a character is causing a disruption by not behaving appropriately for a formal event, that character is asked ICly to leave. If they don't comply or they leave and come back, they are arrested and shown to the dungeon for the duration of the event.

Some people may complain, but I think that nobody could reasonably argue that a policy of that nature is unfair or inappropriate.

Just some thoughts for next time. It was fun for me in a harried sort of way, and I'd go to another one.

Mazrian
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/26/2007 11:06 AM CST
Very nice post Mazrian.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/26/2007 12:30 PM CST
Greetings,

Thank you, Mazrian, the PC usher idea definitely has merit. Just need to chase down the head of the union....

Adera

Life is the journey, not the destination.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/26/2007 11:00 PM CST
Mazrian,

You said a lot of what I've been trying to put into words since this event. Thanks! It was a well thought out post with some really good suggestions.

GM's... you might consider talking to Daerlynn or Chabelle, in game. We have a series of macros that we use in the Theren Theatre which accomplish what Mazrian suggested.

I think we have it down to where it only takes one or two people to work the lobby, so it doesn't require a lot of 'people power'. The macros are said in a particular order after several new people come into the lobby, or periodically if there are people milling about.

The Ushers/Lobby personnel direct people to the seating area, toward the drinks (thank goodness there is one place in Theren that is NOT dry!), and tells those in the lobby when the performance is about to begin so they can move to their seats.

They answer any questions that arise, and in addition to offering helpful information, make audience members feel welcomed into the Theatre from the moment they arrive. I personally believe it makes coming into the theatre a more comfortable and pleasurable experience.

I'm sure Daerlynn or Chabelle would be more than happy to discuss it in detail, and to share the pros and cons they've discovered.

Respectfully,

Chanteuse Nilme Iondu'il,
Therengian Bardess of the Langenfirth guild
Member, Theren Theatre Players
Member, Order of the Crystal Wolf
Member, Support Team, Northern Watch, Royal Infantry of Therengia
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/27/2007 06:22 AM CST

Excellent ideas, Mazrian. And all things considered, you did an excellent job of keeping the entourage together and getting us around when there appeared to us to have no order or idea of what was going on.

~Wyndz

_________
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 02/27/2007 02:46 PM CST
<<thank goodness there is one place in Theren that is NOT dry!>>

We really need to do something about that.

Madigan
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 03/14/2007 08:32 AM CDT
re: Julian's post

There used to be a sort of secret society of GM-monitored/supervised/guided/etc. roleplayers that were supported in staging roleplaying events around the game.

If that still exists, they might be an excellent resource to draw from for this.

If it no longer exists, recreating it from among the PIRP and mentor ranks might be a good idea.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 03/14/2007 12:08 PM CDT
That plays favorites to a certain cast of players.

Arctuniol

In an open world who needs Windows or Gates.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 03/14/2007 01:23 PM CDT
>>If it no longer exists, recreating it from among the PIRP and mentor ranks might be a good idea. <<

It doesn't matter where they come from. :) In fact, I'd rather the Events GMs give the management assignment to a court appointee (who they can hold accountable) and let the appointee worry about organizing ushers who can get the job done.

The only criteria should be ability to get the job done.

M.
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 03/15/2007 09:03 AM CDT
>Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I have to say.. I've always loved this saying and boy, does it apply.. or what?

~ Leissl and $0.02
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 03/16/2007 01:55 PM CDT
(This response to another post in the thread was pulled due to some other offending posts. I've removed quotes and reposted, hopefully that's alright. I thought the group I refer to was pretty cool and is definitely worth ramping up again if it isn't active right now.)

Ahhhh, true enough I suppose. I forget sometimes how much things seem to have changed over the last few years when I've wandered away for a while again like this.

I can't really recall how exactly the old group was set up and run. My recollection is that it was started from within the mentor society, but ended up vaguely seperate from that (even though the majority of the members were also mentors) and they started inviting non-mentors in on a case by case basis. They came up with their own stories, but had to get GM approval before implementation and got some small amount of GM support in prop building.

If you think back to a few years ago, a fair number of smallish events that mostly focused on interaction as opposed to invasions of creatures could have been produced by this group.

For example, there was a intelligence-challenged gor'tog that was distributing extremely deadly herbs masqueraded as 'medicinal herb' on behalf of an evil smuggler. My character was heavily involved in manipulating the gor'tog under the pretense of befriending him so that he could (a) get large amounts of the deadly herb for himself and/or (b) confront the smuggler and kill him for the reward (after acquiring his source and supply, of course). It was a great little event that took place over a few weeks.

There were a number of neat little RP events like this that they did that added to the atmosphere of the game world. Meanne will probably remember another event related to witches and a sacrifice that they were working on that, after some bumpy road, ended up leading to the Forest of Night.

I think the goal of the secret group was to give a group of confirmed roleplayer types the limited GM support and guidance they would need to pull of atmosphere building roleplay events. Like in the case of the deadly herbs scenario, the only GM-created prop I recall appearing was the medicinal herbs (still have some of these).
Re: Lack of RP at RP event? 03/17/2007 12:23 PM CDT
>That plays favorites to a certain cast of players.

Amen, brother.