Harassment 02/04/2005 05:28 PM CST
So when does rp become harassment? Where is the line between an in character conflict and abuse of game mechanics to infringe on another players enjoyment of the game?

Let's look at an example:

Character A and Character B are involved in some type of IC romance. Now Character B and Character C are pals. Character A and Character B start having issues that are more related to OOC than IC but for those reasons the relationship ends. Now Character B and C have remained friends. They decide to join up as a team. Now Character A's PLAYER finds this much too difficult to deal with and begins a campaign . Character A and player use Characters D E and F (all belonging to player A)to attack and harass character B and C. Now both of the players of B and C have higher ranking characters that could be dusted off and brough forth to join in the mess, but decide to just ignore it and it will eventually go away. A bit like the large pink elephant standing in your living room. After weeks of continued idiocy on both sides it begins to wind down.

I guess my question is at which point did this become harassment? Or did it? Is using higher ranking characters to harass people that normally have no RP interaction together harassment at all. Or just one of those things you have to live with in DR?

Now I know that you will ask, Did they report? Yes They did. Did they ask them to stop nicely and then just ignore it. Again yes they did. Until it became so bad that Character C totally lost thier temper and things spiraled a bit out of control for a bit. Now that things are calmer this player wonders if this is harassment or just a really nice way to get around the system.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to me ramble.

Me ~ always in awe at the workings of the human mind
Re: Harassment 02/04/2005 05:31 PM CST
Char A harrassed every letter in the alphabet.
Re: Harassment 02/05/2005 08:36 AM CST
When Player A started using characters D, E, and F to take care of Character A's dispute, policy was broken. Unfortunately that happens a lot.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Harassment 02/05/2005 09:44 AM CST
I've seen more than one situation, usually romantically related or based on a strange hatred, wherein one person was being a complete stalking jerk to the other OOC. Through IMs, emails, whispers in the game, the game itself, etc.

At that point, it's not the game that's bothering someone, it's an actual person being a jerk to another actual person through any means at their disposal; which is legitimately frustrating and interferes with having the simple pleasure of playing in an imaginary world.

---Brett
Re: Harassment 02/05/2005 12:32 PM CST
Folks,

Some posts were hidden.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: Harassment 02/05/2005 01:51 PM CST
I would say that anyone involved in that entire situation has more time on their hands than common sense.

~Ternith Sjomah
___
Violence does not lead to more violence. The truth is that ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more death. However fully thought through, well executed violence never leads to more violence because afterwards, the other guys are all dead.
Re: Harassment 02/05/2005 03:52 PM CST
>>I would say that anyone involved in that entire situation has more time on their hands than common sense.

Heh... At jokes better becoming, you are.

Ecoles
"Us loners gotta stick together"
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/e/c/ecoles/ecoles.html