Alteration Suggestions! 11/29/2009 05:37 PM CST
Hi,

So I wanted to get my friend a nifty gift for his birthday. I figured I'd spend some of my LTB points and get him an alteration, but he plays a warrior mage and a gnome and don't know much about them.

I have some of the verby fighting pants or fighting shirt I could alter. He uses a lot of random weapons, so if there is one worth altering I could do that too or buy one of the really nicely apping fest ones.

He isn't into the whole dark and evil, but does enjoy ice spells. I realize this is all crazy vague, but help would be great. Something gnomish oriented would be great. If there are some special questions I should ask, let me know, I'm not big on lore, but always trying to learn more.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Alteration Suggestions! 11/29/2009 09:51 PM CST
Standard list of questions when designing an alteration for someone:

Favorite color?
Favorite metal?
Favorite gemstone?
Favorite fabric/textile?

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Khurek thinking, "Perhaps some of you should realize something is wrong with your argument when even the province's premier heretic is preaching against you."
Re: Alteration Suggestions! 11/29/2009 10:32 PM CST
So I put my sleuthing skills to work! They aren't very good, but I blame it on him being a guy and not knowing good answer. That and he is a bit new, wanted to do something nice to entire him to keep playing.

Favorite color?

He said he isn't sure what sort of mage he wants to focus as. He thinks he wants to be more of an earth mage or ice mage. So earth tones? Though brown doesn't sound all the fun in my opinion. Maybe some nice grays. Black is far too cliche to be the center piece of the outfit. Of course ice mage opens up all sorts of blues.

Favorite metal?

If we stick with earth mage, then perhaps maybe bronze or copper? I guess I'm sort of answering for him, since his answer was "whatever" I guess I'm open to ideas

Favorite gemstone?

I have no clue. Most of my characters themed were rather simple and common, so maybe someone who knows a lot more about gnomes and warrior mages could provide some advice?

Favorite fabric/textile?

I know he doesn't really want to be covered in bulky robes or something like that. The reason I thought of the verby shirt/pants. I have some of the rarer materials like icesilk and stuff, but I have to plead ignorance about what would be appropriate.

I hope this helps you help me. Thankfully he seems fairly clueless about my questions. Just thinking I'm trying to help him flush out his character, which I'd like to do also.
Re: Alteration Suggestions! 11/29/2009 10:41 PM CST
I think I need to learn how to write proper sentences. That or review what I write before posting. Sorry for the sentences that don't sound right. How embarassing
Re: Alteration Suggestions! 11/29/2009 11:13 PM CST
Look at using some meraud aspects in alterations, or whatever diety he follows.

Colors can vary, not bad ideas so far. Red and Black are the two most popular warmage colors that i've seen (when i pay attention)

Here's some of my own alterations, if they help any. I'm an Electric mage with a dual following of Meraud and Damaris.

>You tap a stormy grey silk cloak stitched with elemental symbols surrounding a mountain scene that you are wearing.

>Two piercing green eyes stare out from the shadows of a cave above an outcropping, and the dim outline of a large feline can be barely seen. At first glance, a silver-streaked blue-black furred wolf can be seen sunning himself on the outcropping, though a closer look reveals the wolf clearly watching the panther, tendrils of electricity dancing through its eyes in preparation for coming battle.

>You have a tattoo of a dark wolf and ebony panther circling one another, nose to tail, on his upper arm. Sinuous bolts of lightning spiral down his bicep, ending at a serpent swallowing its tail on your wrist.

>tap boot
You tap some nightsilk swift-winged boots swirled with stormy black pearl whirlwinds that you are wearing.

>Lustrous nightsilk threads ripple fluidly across these boots in a swirling whirlwind scene. Stormy black pearls are beaded haphazardly atop the threads as if caught in the tangled fury. Tiny bolts of jagged black lightning tear through the whirlwinds while a finely stitched swift flies toward safety. A pair of softly fluttering swift wings arch gracefully away from the boots.

(the boots I bought, and were actually altered by a good friend)

This ring was a gift

>>tap silver ring
You tap an Elven silver ring inlaid with bolts of damaryn pearls that you are wearing.

>Faint blue striations shimmer within the depths of the pale grey gems that form jagged lines of electricity streaking wildly across the polished surface of the thick band. A small inscription is engraved along the inside of the masculine ring.

Hope these help you come up with some ideas.

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: Alteration Suggestions! 11/30/2009 01:40 PM CST
Since your friend enjoys an icy theme to his magic, you might try using white and blue in an alteration. Would a container embroidered with flames made of ice work?

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy