Longbow 07/26/2009 10:49 PM CDT
I'm looking at getting my bow altered. I have a solid design which, except for small wording changes, is set in stone.

BUT I'm having a bit of trouble as to the "READ" of the bow.

This is what she looks like:

Tap: A Hunter's Longbow with a Damascene Steel Inlay

Look: The normally rounded curves of this longbow have been inlaid with stunning Damascene Steel. The beautiful impurities in each metallic ringlet are magnified by the high polish and luster of the alloy. The water-steel's crafstmanship continues down the upper riser, and ends abruptly at the handguard, only to continue on again below the grip unabated. The swirling pattern comes to a end inches from the tips of the bow, where it blends seamlessly into the spidersilk string. The handguard is shaped and formed very carefully into the image of it's user's hand. One side of the riser is acid-etched with the emblem of the Ranger's Guild, the other side carries a small etching in a flowing caligraphy script. There appears to be something written on it.

A hunter's longbow with a Damascene Steel Inlay reads:

Any thoughts? I did have the suggestion of 'Memories are like hunting horns whose sound dies on the wind.' I do like it, but before I set it to permanency, I'd like a second opinion.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Longbow 07/26/2009 10:56 PM CDT
"If you can read this I should be spamming disengage"?
Re: Longbow 07/26/2009 11:01 PM CDT
This may not be what you want to hear, but I highly doubt you will be able to get that design as it is currently. The LOOK alone is way, way over the character limit (it's something like 250 characters while yours is at 707) and I have seen damascene steel turned down in alterations before since Elanthia doesn't have a Damascus (ignoring grandfathered alterations).

If you are absolutely sure you want to try for it, go for it, but prepare to be disappointed.

Rev. Reene

You hear your mental voice echo, Axiarra, are you still around? We had um... an incident on the third floor.

Your mind hears Vermire thinking, "The screaming, angry souls of the damned count as an "incident?""
Re: Longbow 07/26/2009 11:13 PM CDT
I've seen a couple of damascus swords (the latest one very recently), but they're few and far between. I'm not too sure it would fly today either.

Any GM comment? Not sure if one is needed but it would help.

I'm with Cael on this one- trim down the look a bit, even something simple like toning down the adjectives would go far.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Longbow 07/26/2009 11:18 PM CDT
Now that I check on it, "damascened" might fly but "damascene" might not. Calling it "watered steel" would get around that issue entirely, granted, but if you're attached to the adjective that might be one thing to consider.

Rev. Reene

You hear your mental voice echo, Axiarra, are you still around? We had um... an incident on the third floor.

Your mind hears Vermire thinking, "The screaming, angry souls of the damned count as an "incident?""
Re: Longbow 07/26/2009 11:21 PM CDT
I am not sure it would even work, to inlay a wooden longbow with steel. That aside, you can have "damascened" metal, which is "metalwork decorated with wavy patterns of inlay or etching."

But you cannot have "damascene steel", which is steel from damascus. You can have watered steel, or layered steel, but I am pretty sure that "damascene" or "damascene steel" is off limits. Even Raenilar has a "damascened iltesh" and not a "damascene steel iltesh." That "d" makes all the difference. Personally, I'd go with "watered steel," since "damascened steel" doesn't seem to mean quite the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

That is also really long, and could use some trimming.

--Player of Szrael --

Professional Healers Association Fee Calculator:

http://empathunion.appspot.com

Professional Healers Association Unofficial Crossing Healing Spot: east, north, go backdoor from Empath guild.
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 05:55 AM CDT
I hear what you're saying, for sure. I'll play around with the adjectives a bit, see what I can come up with.

I wasn't aware there was a character limit to an alteration. S'only the second one I've gotten in almost 10 years of playing DR.

I'll play around with it a bit, and see what I can come up with.

Still no help on the 'Read' to it, though?

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 08:55 AM CDT
>Still no help on the 'Read' to it, though?

A hunter's longbow reads, "Today's special: free arrows!"
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 08:57 AM CDT
"If you're reading this: Gratz on your new epix"
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 09:23 AM CDT
I call her . . .

"Vera"

She's one a tha best in tha 'verse!

Later you could attempt to trade her for a wife. . . duck
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 09:23 AM CDT
"Swift death is a mercy."

- The Moose
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 09:27 AM CDT
"I can't believe the owner of this can't read Gerenshuge"
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 10:03 AM CDT
"Made in Hibarnhvidar"
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 10:50 AM CDT
You could just not have a read on it and call it a day =]
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 12:46 PM CDT
>>A hunter's longbow reads, "Today's special: free arrows!"
Seconded heh.

-Stayn
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 03:10 PM CDT
First and foremost, thank you all for your candid replies, and I appreciate all the help you've given me.

I've shortened the LOOK on it quite a bit, much to my chagrin.

I appreciate all the good suggestions for a 'READ' on it, as well as the not-so-wonderful suggestions (such as the blatant WoW Hunter References!)

But, here's the (mostly) finished product. Still open for a bit of tweaking, but here's what it looks like.

I did take the suggestion of the 'damascene/damascened/water steel', tweaked the wording a bit. As well as the suggestion of possibly being unable to 'inlay' a bow with steel, and therefore decided to plate it. Not quite the effect I was hoping for, but I think it's still quite beautiful.

Tap: A Hunter's Longbow with water-steel plating.

Look: The normally rounded curves of this longbow have been plated with stunning water steel. The beautiful impurities in each metallic ringlet are magnified by the high polish and luster of the alloy. The swirling pattern comes to a end inches from the tips of the bow, where it blends seamlessly into the spidersilk string. Along the handguard, a flowing script has been acid-etched. There appears to be something written on it.

A hunter's longbow with water-steel plating reads: 'Memories are like hunting horns whose sound dies on the wind.'

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 04:11 PM CDT
The sentences feel a bit choppy

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 10:14 PM CDT
So after getting it altered, this is what it looks like:

You accept Darix's offer and are now holding a hunter's longbow with water-steel plating.
>look long
The normally rounded curves of this longbow have been plated with stunning water-steel, the beautiful impurities in each metallic ringlet are magnified by the high polish and luster of the alloy. The swirling pattern ends just inches from the tips of the bow, where it blends seamlessly into the nightsilk string. Along the handguard, a flowing script has been acid-etched in small lettering.
There appears to be something written on it.
>read long
A hunter's longbow reads:
"Memories are like hunting horns whose sound dies on the wind."

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 10:23 PM CDT
I'm not sure "water-steel" is correct. :x

But good job getting it altered! As long as you're happy with it. :)

Rev. Reene

Uthgaar asks, "She has a scalpel and a creamy nutlog in her hands and no one is running?"
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 10:38 PM CDT
>I'm not sure "water-steel" is correct.

What do you think they make this from then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Reserve
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 10:43 PM CDT
Silly me. :x

Rev. Reene

Uthgaar asks, "She has a scalpel and a creamy nutlog in her hands and no one is running?"
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 10:45 PM CDT
She was...hesitant, to use Damascened Steel (though she did mention it!)

Water steel is very similar to Damascene steel in it's look, though is not quite the same...but close enough for my taste.

Now, my longbow's armor plated. When can I start using it at a parry stick? Heh

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Longbow 07/27/2009 10:49 PM CDT
The term is watered steel, though. Not water-steel.

And it is AFAIK a synonym for damascened steel? So I'm not sure what the issue is there. Damascened steel is actually available in at least one IG shop, so...

Rev. Reene