Punish verb request 07/06/2010 03:12 PM CDT
I posted this a month ago in another folder and got no response so I'll try here.

When you punish someone 'You thrash XXX soundly.' Problem is no one else can see it. If you're RPing a non violent conflict around multiple people that verb is a bit pointless. I'd really like for it to message the entire room when you PUNISH someone. 'Yazegi thrashes Markios soundly.'

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Punish verb request 07/08/2010 09:08 PM CDT
If that were the case, it would most probably result in a violent conflict. If you slap or kick someone, even if it doesn't do damage or leave a red mark even, you are still inciting a combative situation in the opinion of most players.

-Armifer says consequences are how we honor evil roleplaying.
-Abasha says, "Personally, I love supporting evil characters, but not if they can't take their lumps too.
-Quarel says, "Not me I hit you because I like to hit."
Re: Punish verb request 07/08/2010 09:29 PM CDT
That's the general idea. The verb is already in place. I find it odd no one else can see you *thrashing someone soundly*, but everyone can notice you pinch someone. You thrash someone, they react, everyone else goes 'What is he yelling about? I didn't see anything.'

Re: Punish verb request 07/08/2010 10:29 PM CDT
I wouldn't mess with Yazegi Celitha. He was one of the first empaths (maybe the first) to kill someone.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Punish verb request 07/08/2010 10:51 PM CDT
Not the first by a long shot. I was the first to kill someone and received shock for it and live to heal again (according to a gm). I've heard of other empaths killing people with magical devices in the past when that didn't cause empathic shock.

Right now there is a barb RPing as my minion. What good is having a minion if you can't smack them around in front of people? BOP seems to gentle, SLAP would be better if you could specify backhand, and also as an empath I try to stray from slap, kick, and punch because sometimes I forget to avoid brawling maneuvers when RPing. PUNISH being like a spanking is more demeaning making it superior!

Re: Punish verb request 07/08/2010 11:09 PM CDT
I remember a few years back Gromnir killed someone with a ballista. His shock was pretty brutal.
Re: Punish verb request 07/08/2010 11:16 PM CDT
>I was the first to kill someone and received shock for it and live to heal again (according to a gm).

I remember playing an empath at the time and helping take some of your shock. It was pretty insane.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Punish verb request 07/09/2010 01:06 AM CDT
Thank you again for your help! That was some crazy shock, but all the people, the conversations, and the friendships created made the whole thing a fine experience overall.

Re: Punish verb request 07/09/2010 09:47 AM CDT
>That was some crazy shock, but all the people, the conversations, and the friendships created made the whole thing a fine experience overall.

Sorry I know I'm derailing your thread here. I still talk to some people that I started hanging out with during that whole affair. I think I had as much fun during that whole closing of ranks around you as I've had at anything else in DR. I hated to see you hit that hard with shock but it was a lot of fun and brought about a lot of good stuff.

Re: Punish verb request 07/09/2010 12:26 PM CDT
Well you have a point there, no offense but from experience, mechanically, Empaths do not make very effective minion/servant/slave controlling bosses. Outside of the shifting messaging which is of course very neat, you could perhaps threaten to shift him in some way, play that he has to accept it or something? Even Empath thump is really peaceful.

You could always use the action, smile and frown verbs to visible do degrading and harmful things to said minion.

I am very much in favor of making many rp things a matter of flags and demeanor, tend, lean,tweak, bop, touch person with item like feather, etc, perhaps there could be a flag or something to show messaging such as thump test, or punish, to the room, if both parties agree OOCly?

-Abasha says, "Personally, I love supporting evil characters, but not if they can't take their lumps too.
Re: Punish verb request 07/09/2010 01:00 PM CDT
There is THUMP WARN which messages the room. THUMP TEST only shows you if you're able to thump said person.

Re: Punish verb request 07/09/2010 02:16 PM CDT
"There is THUMP WARN which messages the room. THUMP TEST only shows you if you're able to thump said person."

Not to derail but this needs to go.

If you're gonna thump someone, man up and do it. No testing.

It should message the area with success or fail. Nothing else.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Punish verb request 07/09/2010 02:40 PM CDT
I don't entirely disagree with Serc, but I don't think the thump check should always alert the other player.

I would rather see some kind of contest that allows you to assess both the skill and thumpability of another character in general, a (charisma + perception + combat skill nubmer) vs. (intelligence + discipline + combat skill number) match up or something like that.

1. If you win the contest hugely, you get a certain message of the other character's skill level, and they do not notice you assessing them.
2. If you win the contest mildly, you get a certain message, but the other person notices you, and you notice them notice.
3. If you fail the contest mildly, you get an uncertain message, the other person notices you, and you notice them notice.
4. If you fail hugely, you get a missleading message, and a misleading message about whether the other person noticed, or no clue at all.

It seems reasonable to get an appraisal of another player, like you can with AI monsters, via some kind of skill contest. It seems more interesting if the object of the appraisal also has to pass a contest to notice you.

If something like that were ever possible, I think it would also be usefull if the person initiating the appraisal could force it to be "blatent", insuring that the other person noticed you checking them out.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Punish verb request 07/09/2010 02:48 PM CDT
I don't care about thump test. I like thump warn as you can let someone know they're getting on your last nerve. I hardly ever use thump though. Its more fun to tackle the person and make them beg to be let up. I just want a GM to answer my original post! Thrashing someone soundly should be a lot more obvious than a pinch which everyone can see.

Re: Punish verb request 07/09/2010 09:29 PM CDT
Does the punish verb message the individual you direct it to, now? Also uh to thump warn do you have to be able to thump the other person, or does it show, that you are threatening to in any case even if you suggest you might to a 150th circle person as someone 20th?