Prev_page Previous 1
Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 07:28 PM CDT
PLEASE.

I'M BEGGING YOU.

Soandso calmly exclaims, "HelP!!!"

Having someone constantly use the same emote, over and over, is grating and borderline OOC in my opinion. It constantly breaks immersion for me, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

This is making me want to headbutt my keyboard whenever I take my characters into populous areas. I guess I could write a sub to strip them out but they can be useful when people use them as they're meant to be used -- to indicate a deviation from their character's normal tone.

-- Player of Szrael --

P.S. y7tfgvr iifvgrtb bn vn b
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 08:20 PM CDT
I should set mine to matter-of-factly.

Because using exaggerated emotes like /softly, /quietly or /darkly every time you say something make you a badass + pinnacle of arrpeer

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "At least I have not had another Guildleader complain about you in a while."
>
Kssarh says, "Which is rather disappointing. You have a reputation to uphold."
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 08:54 PM CDT
I've been threatening to use matter-of-factly since it came out...
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 09:06 PM CDT
<<I've been threatening to use matter-of-factly since it came out...

As a matter of fact, I have been as well.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 09:10 PM CDT
>I've been threatening to use matter-of-factly since it came out...

>
Mozzik matter-of-factly asks you, "Can I borrow a burin?"

"All too often... in the internet forums of today, self-important armchair warriors swagger and strut, safely removed from the possibility of having to defend their positions with anything more substantial than misspelled prose and tortured grammar."
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 09:19 PM CDT
We can do Matter-of-Factly week the same time we do Grand Master Moon Mage week.

It'll be great.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 09:20 PM CDT

Alright, I'm in.

When are we doing this?

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "At least I have not had another Guildleader complain about you in a while."
>
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 09:22 PM CDT
<<When are we doing this?

How do us non grand master moon mages play?

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 09:27 PM CDT
I suppose you'll have to settle for showing proper deference to us Grand Master Moon Mages.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 09:48 PM CDT
<<How do us non grand master moon mages play?

By using the Evasion Novice title of course.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/13/2009 11:23 PM CDT
>>When are we doing this?

We do it the moment someone gets brave enough to throw Kssarh out the window.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 05:16 PM CDT
>>Having someone constantly use the same emote, over and over, is grating and borderline OOC in my opinion. It constantly breaks immersion for me, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Go out into the real world and sitting by yourself watch people. Watch them over a few days if you can. I bet you will see that many of them are emoting the same things over and over. It really is IC.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 05:17 PM CDT
A few of them? Sure.

Most of them? No.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 05:33 PM CDT
It really depends on what they're saying. Like someone speaking softly and doing it in all caps with an ! at the end wouldn't really be right.

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 05:36 PM CDT
You playfully exclaim, "SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I'M BLEEDING TO DEATH!"

Rev. Reene

You hear your mental voice echo, Axiarra, are you still around? We had um... an incident on the third floor.

Your mind hears Vermire thinking, "The screaming, angry souls of the damned count as an "incident?""
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 05:44 PM CDT
<<You playfully exclaim, "SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I'M BLEEDING TO DEATH!"

The appropriate response would be to wait:

* Caelumia was just slain before your eyes!
* Caelumia was just struck down!

>'Oh, I thought you were just playing...

Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 05:44 PM CDT
Playfully is one of the ones that gets horrible quickly... no disagreement here.

Only a few, like quietly, really seem to be good for every day use.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 05:45 PM CDT
>>You playfully exclaim, "SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I'M BLEEDING TO DEATH!"

That would work if they weren't serious. They probably were though

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 05:51 PM CDT
Quietly is one of my least favorite ones to see done as a default. That and matter-of-factly.

However, that's just a personal peeve, and not one that RUINS MY PLAY EXPERIENCE! SO JARRING!!
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 06:24 PM CDT
I am going to add a few kudos in here as it relates to the default emotes. Yesterday Fran was down at the Gorbesh Fort, hanging about, when a small invasion of empaths from Crossing looking to escape the crowded town showed up. One was doing the playfully emote thing causing me to want to do something absolutely horrid to a small stuffed creature, or maybe even kick a hamster. I had Fran hightail it to some place as far away as she could relatively quickly.

Craxor however stayed and talked with the new empath, getting an idea of who she was and what she had come to Ilithi to find. After talking with this empath for a bit of time, Craxor was able to get her to stop with the playfully emote, RPing all the way. So Kudos to Craxor, and Kudos to Yamms, the young empath who was open to RPing understanding she needed to change her ways.

If you are one who must have a default emote, make sure it is something which would actually make sense, giving your character a voice, and not the persona of a crazed cheerleader, less of course being a crazed cheerleader is what you want to be, and in that case, I hope your medication kicks in fast.

Francelia (the lost empath)

Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 07:14 PM CDT
I second this title. ^--

The only one I don't have a problem with is...loudly...because the only person I see loudly over and over from is Caraamon and I think it fits his character.

However, softly, quietly, playfully, too common from an Empath front. And can get annoying. Have seen them exclaiming stuff softly..? Yea...made my teeth grate. I have OOCed a few of them, but honestly...x.x;; they don't really care.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 07:20 PM CDT
<<Have seen them exclaiming stuff softly..? Yea...made my teeth grate

I have a couple friends in the real life that are always soft or quiet. One has damage to his voicebox and everything comes out a kind of muted half-whisper half growl, even when he's yelling at video games. The other's voice just doesn't seem to get any louder than quiet, no matter what she does. Its hard to take her seriously when she's angry unless you know her. ;)

So yeah, I don't feel that exclaiming things softly is so jarring.

Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 08:29 PM CDT
Guess I wouldn't mind it so much if EVERY Empath didn't want to be the cute Empath that can't speak above a whisper. It's just overdone. =| Very overdone.

And yes I used to have a friend who couldn't speak above a whisper, too. Few years ago =\ actually, I forgot about her XD x.x;
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 08:34 PM CDT
I know at least one empath who could just set theirs to rudely... :P
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 09:36 PM CDT
>>I have a couple friends in the real life that are always soft or quiet. One has damage to his voicebox and everything comes out a kind of muted half-whisper half growl, even when he's yelling at video games. The other's voice just doesn't seem to get any louder than quiet, no matter what she does. Its hard to take her seriously when she's angry unless you know her. ;)

Yeah. I know a girl who is quiet no matter what. She was being chased by a dog and was "yelling" for help in her quiet voice.

Also know a dude that always seems to be yelling no matter what. You could be standing right in front of him and he'll boom his voice out and his laugh is horribly loud, annoyingly even.

The latter RL dude annoys me because he's obnoxious with his seemingly not knowing a proper volume level.

And I know some matter of factly type people. Just as annoying IRL as they are in DR I'll bet.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 09:51 PM CDT
Interesting. I don't know a single person that has 1 vocal range. Every human I know in real life goes through a wide range of emotions in front of me. They talk, smile, laugh, yell, scream, etc. Hmmm, must be hawaii. Or maybe hanging around me causes people to go through wide ranges of emotions.

I'm trying really hard... nope, still can't think of a single person. Now my mind is rotating through all my nerd friends... nope, still nothing. Now back to Cali, mmm, D&D friends... nope. Warhammer 40k friends...Wait, this guy jeff sounded like a girl but he used to giggle and he would go from high-pitch to low when he got excited or mad, looks like he doesn't count. My roomate from Cali? Soft-spoken all the time... check. Oh wait, no he yelled very loudly at me when I set all the fire alarms(they were all linked, the living room would set his bedroom off) off in the house.

I fail. :( I want some broken vocal cord friends too.

[01:45] You matter-of-factly say, "I can't wait til I can wear the grand master moon mage title."
[01:45] Crounchmeyer darkly says, "My foraging is as bad as my pocket foraging."
[01:46] You matter-of-factly ask, "Pocket foraging?"
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 09:55 PM CDT
>>Interesting. I don't know a single person that has 1 vocal range. Every human I know in real life goes through a wide range of emotions in front of me. They talk, smile, laugh, yell, scream, etc. Hmmm, must be hawaii. Or maybe hanging around me causes people to go through wide ranges of emotions.

You should have been in my 10th grade social studies class. My teacher was Mr. Monotone. Fell asleep every day.

-Armifer
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 10:05 PM CDT
Every other time I run into someone who uses /quietly or /softly every time they speak, I ask them repeatedly to speak up because I can't hear them.

It occasionally works.

Rev. Reene

You hear your mental voice echo, Axiarra, are you still around? We had um... an incident on the third floor.

Your mind hears Vermire thinking, "The screaming, angry souls of the damned count as an "incident?""
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/26/2009 10:53 PM CDT
You've clearly never known someone with Asperger's.

I've known at least two people who speak entirely in monotone's because of that - One so severely I once saw a teacher mistake his speaking for someone messing with the good ol' Mac Text to Speech.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/27/2009 12:54 AM CDT
>>I know at least one empath who could just set theirs to rudely... :P

Why didn't I think of this sooner? :(

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/27/2009 05:29 AM CDT
Oh hey, I met you earlier. Personally I think you convey it well enough to not need a default emote ;)

[21:34] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "You are never too young for liquor."
[21:34] Your mind hears Kalnean thinking, "You don't have any kids, do you."
[21:35] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "I hope not."
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/27/2009 08:30 AM CDT
>Interesting. I don't know a single person that has 1 vocal range.

I had to change opticians once because the optometrist they had there spoke in such a robotic monotone that nothing of what he said registered with me. Now that could be a work habit, as some people deliberately select a speech pattern for their work persona, but it still happens.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/27/2009 05:55 PM CDT
>Hmmm, must be hawaii.

I laugh every time I see one of your posts go this route. I know a person in Hilo who does the quiet thing (can get pissed and rage, but oh so quietly; it's bizarre).
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/27/2009 06:44 PM CDT
The thing, to me, is that emotes should indicate a deviation from a character's normal way of speaking.

So they talk darkly all the time? Then they should use the normal verb and only use the darkly thing to indicate when they are taking darkly for them .

Volumes are a little less heinous, but still pretty bad.

--Player of Szrael --

Professional Healers Association Fee Calculator:

http://empathunion.appspot.com

Professional Healers Association Unofficial Crossing Healing Spot: east, north, go backdoor from Empath guild.
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/27/2009 06:46 PM CDT
A tip to the people using default emotes to convey a normal way of talking:

Use them the first few times you say something in a conversation. Then you can stop using it; it becomes implied after that and most people will mentally fill it in for you where appropriate.

This principle applies to things like black clothing as well. No, not every item you own has to have the "shadowy black" adjective to get the point across.

Rev. Reene

Uthgaar asks, "She has a scalpel and a creamy nutlog in her hands and no one is running?"
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/27/2009 10:03 PM CDT
>Hmmm, must be hawaii.

>>I laugh every time I see one of your posts go this route. I know a person in Hilo who does the quiet thing (can get pissed and rage, but oh so quietly; it's bizarre).

Huzzah! Precisely my goal. I usually deviate this way on purpose especially when it really has little effect/point/purpose to the post.

Him (1:16:32 AM): You should use his old avatar
Him (1:16:38 AM): They will flip out
Me (1:16:42 AM): what is it?
Me (1:16:50 AM): i totally will
Him (1:16:50 AM): it was a horse face
Me (1:16:53 AM): hahahahahhaa
Him (1:17:29 AM): yeah
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/28/2009 02:05 AM CDT
Cael is pretty nice to characters that don't act like yours.

I personally just find it unrealistic to be talking /darkly all the time, or at the very least trying too hard. It doesn't really cause me to do much more than snicker privately at the person. I understand that people like to fantasize about what I actually think or do about things though.

Just remember kiddos, SAY emotes, the ACT verb and liberal use of 'tis do not a good roleplayer make.

Rev. Reene

Uthgaar asks, "She has a scalpel and a creamy nutlog in her hands and no one is running?"
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 07/28/2009 04:53 AM CDT
<<Cael is pretty nice to characters that don't act like yours.>>

I can vouch for this.

<<Emote stuff>>

I agree with what was said above: Default emotes are unecessary at best, annoying at worst. I wouldn't miss them.

[21:34] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "You are never too young for liquor."
[21:34] Your mind hears Kalnean thinking, "You don't have any kids, do you."
[21:35] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "I hope not."
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 08/27/2009 08:54 PM CDT
>>Interesting. I don't know a single person that has 1 vocal range. Every human I know in real life goes through a wide range of emotions in front of me. They talk, smile, laugh, yell, scream, etc. Hmmm, must be hawaii. Or maybe hanging around me causes people to go through wide ranges of emotions.

>>I'm trying really hard... nope, still can't think of a single person. Now my mind is rotating through all my nerd friends... nope, still nothing. Now back to Cali, mmm, D&D friends... nope. Warhammer 40k friends...Wait, this guy jeff sounded like a girl but he used to giggle and he would go from high-pitch to low when he got excited or mad, looks like he doesn't count. My roomate from Cali?...etc
>>I fail.

You sure did. Ben Stine is the first person who pops into my head. So in 5 seconds i thought of someone who has a constant Emote in RL i guess. Fran Drescer's banshee wail voice. I am sure if i put more effort into this i could think of more folks that we BOTH know.

>>I have a couple friends in the real life that are always soft or quiet. One has damage to his voicebox and everything comes out a kind of muted half-whisper half growl, even when he's yelling at video games.

IMO, Talking about some guy who sat next to your sister in third grade who spoke loudly doesn't really validate anyones point. I could list my D&D friends and their mannerisms, but would you care one bit about what Travis sounds like since you have never met him? You would have no way of confirming what i am saying. Thats kinda like saying I know 53,847 people who talk funny, so I am right, now prove me wrong.

-Player of Aiidann
Re: Please, Please do Away with the Default Emote 08/27/2009 09:18 PM CDT
Fun Fact:

My roommate got stepped on by Ben Stine at an art gallery (or maybe she stepped on him, I'll check in the morning). He in fact, does talk like that all the time.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Prev_page Previous 1