Demeanor 01/06/2006 11:13 PM CST
Help please!

I want both of my characters to default to 'demeanor reserved' (not a big fan of hugs and kisses from 5 minute acquaintances). However, that blocks empathic touching as well. I've heard there's a way to basically befriend all empaths, but I haven't been able to figure out the syntax. Anyone?
Re: Demeanor 01/06/2006 11:14 PM CST
No, there isn't a way.

Just set your demeanor to neutral before asking for healing, or befriend the empath you want to heal you.

Rev. Reene, player of a few

Reene: hey you should play this with me
Zairius: last time I fell for that line
Zairius: I ended up in DR
Re: Demeanor 01/06/2006 11:25 PM CST
Okey doke... thanks. I guess we do what we must do.

One more question: can you switch demeanor while dead? I suppose I'll find out soon enough, but crazy me likes to know these things ahead of time.
Re: Demeanor 01/06/2006 11:29 PM CST
Well, no, but you don't pull away while dead (how would you?) so it's a nonissue.

I wish they'd allow touching while reserved though.

Re: Demeanor 01/07/2006 01:24 AM CST
befriend empath or avoid touch would be nice. I would personally prefer befriend empath as there are other people that go around trying to touch you.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: Demeanor 01/07/2006 01:50 AM CST
>> Well, no, but you don't pull away while dead
>> (how would you?) so it's a nonissue.

Golly, that's logical...
Re: Demeanor 01/07/2006 01:53 AM CST
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :\

Re: Demeanor 01/07/2006 08:10 AM CST
There is presently no way to befriend on basis of guild, and I don't think there ever will be. You'll just have to use Demeanor Reserved, and befriend whichever empath is healing you. Or else go back to demeanor neutral if you use an NPC.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Demeanor 01/07/2006 08:51 AM CST
Nope! That was a jab at myself, but definitely came out ambiguously. Sorry... that's what I get for posting at 3AM. Thanks!
Re: Demeanor 05/04/2006 01:33 PM CDT
There may not be a way to BEFRIEND empaths yet, but there is a way for them to apply herbs to you without a demeanor problem.

CONSENT EMPATH [CLEAR]
WARNING! This will allow any Empath to affect you with substances. This does not allow an Empath to pick up your grave items.
Demeanor, Cold v. Reserved? 12/02/2008 01:15 PM CST
Hullo,

Before I simply got fed up with having to deal with the command whenever I hung out around empaths, I was fond of the Reserved demeanor.

Now I just put up with being hugged and kissed by random people just so I can let people casually touch me...

...anyway, I'm bitter about it but that's beside the point.

My real question is: Reserved has intercepted all the character interaction I've encountered, what does Cold do above and beyond Reserved? Or does it only give a different shade of messaging?
Re: Demeanor, Cold v. Reserved? 12/06/2008 09:22 AM CST
Ran the test for ya:

Reserved:

>hug Lucerella
You try to give Lucerella a hug, but she doesn't seem amenable to your attentions.

>touch Lucerella
Lucerella avoids your touch.

>kiss Lucerella cheek
As you start to kiss Lucerella, she pulls back away from you.

Cold:

>hug Lucerella
Lucerella turns away to avoid your hug.

>touch Lucerella
Lucerella avoids your touch.

>kiss Lucerella cheek
As you start to kiss Lucerella, she pulls back away from you.

I think they all sorta seem similiar, though with a cold demeanor the pulling away or turning away is a bit more definite. I didn't go through ALL the physical character interactions though.

I do like being able to set my demeanor to a certain race, but I'd love to be able to set it for guild as well. Specifically for the Empath situation mentioned before.

Hope that helped,
~L.S.~
Re: Demeanor, Cold v. Reserved? 12/06/2008 12:34 PM CST
So is reserved just there for people who want to be cold but not be as 'mean' about it?

Also there appears to be a bug in Reserved that's occasionally keeping your class closed even after you've set it to open. I've given up on demeanor entirely for now.
Re: Demeanor, Cold v. Reserved? 12/06/2008 12:46 PM CST
>>Also there appears to be a bug in Reserved that's occasionally keeping your class closed even after you've set it to open. I've given up on demeanor entirely for now.

I hope its not a bug, I love keeping my classes closed and seeing how many people will whisper to me about the new teaching verb.

~Player of "One of the Caels."
Queen of Non-Sequitors
Re: Demeanor, Cold v. Reserved? 12/06/2008 12:52 PM CST
>>I hope its not a bug, I love keeping my classes closed and seeing how many people will whisper to me about the new teaching verb.

Well they are purposely setting it open, so that sounds like a bug to me.

Brabs
Re: Demeanor, Cold v. Reserved? 12/06/2008 03:07 PM CST
> Well they are purposely setting it open, so that sounds like a bug to me.

Not a bug. Open classes will take demeanor into account -- if the teacher is reserved or cold towards the student, the student will require an invitation. This was deliberately added because players were asking for a way to exclude specific individuals from being able to join open classes, or likewise to make it only open to friends and so on.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Demeanor, Cold v. Reserved? 12/06/2008 03:52 PM CST
"..if the teacher is reserved or cold towards the student, the student will require an invitation."

Ugh. Could the game tell us this?

Now I'm definitely never using demeanor code again.
Re: Demeanor, Cold v. Reserved? 12/07/2008 08:12 AM CST
the only thing I really see as a drawback to this is that the game requires you to have more than neutral <i.e. friendly or warm> settings in order to be healed by the local NPC.

I see that as rather unrealistic. Even a hard-nosed criminal/aloof intellectual/wealthy snob/absentminded professor -- might still be willing to be treated by a "medical professional."
Re: Demeanor, Cold v. Reserved? 12/08/2008 10:31 AM CST
I'd like to make a personal, somewhat pointless request.

Can we get the messaging changed when someone uses the TUNE verb on a S'kra with cold demeanor? Currently it forces us to hiss. My character "can't" hiss - he lisps. This is very bad for my superhuman roleplaying abilities.

Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 11:58 AM CST
I'm trying to figure out what the cold and reserved demeanors mean in regards to various things like empaths touching you, and the various fluff emotes like hug and whatnot. Unfortunately, elanthipedia is less than helpful in this regard.

Could someone give me the run down on these? Or perhaps update elanthipedia with your knowledge? Thanks.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 12:17 PM CST
Offhand, I can tell you cold prevents empath touching and listening to a class unless they're on your befriend list.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 02:26 PM CST
Cold doesn't prevent listening to a class, that's a Set command. Both cold and reserved prevent you from being touched by an Empath and avoids other things like hugs and kisses, for a more specific run-down I'd suggest trying it out for yourself. A couple other things that change are the EAT <person> commands, instead of nibbling on someone you try to bite them.

Your mind hears Sahfra thinking, "Always the temples. We will burn your temple to the ground."
Your mind hears Zaslamel thinking, "shutup you undead wench"
Your mind hears Malfrien thinking, "hiya Zasl."
Your mind hears Zaslamel thinking, "Hiya Malf"
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 02:29 PM CST
<<Cold doesn't prevent listening to a class, that's a Set command.

Oh.. I think I remember Caelumia posting about this. It makes your classes default to closed, yes?

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 02:38 PM CST
There's the default to closed thing and there's also an avoid that prevents people from trying to teach you something, I believe it was put in place so people couldn't see if they had higher ranks than you in something by attempting to teach a class in that skill to you back when teachers had to have more ranks than students.

Your mind hears Sahfra thinking, "Always the temples. We will burn your temple to the ground."
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 02:40 PM CST
The different Empath touches (well, anyone can use them really) are from demeanor. Cold person touches so and so, his face revealing his distaste. Reserved person touches so and so reluctantly. So and so lays his hand on person's arm with a warm smile, and so on.

Someone who is regarded by a person coldly or reservedly, cannot tend that person.

I think cold and reserved prevents rubbing specific body parts, and affects how the person reacts to the attempt. (Szrael dodges so and so with an annoyed hiss, or something like that.)

There are more of them. I really, really wish these were well documented, too. And used with more frequency. The application is really spotty.

-- Player of Szrael --

"Necromancy is Bad" (GM Armifer)
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 02:48 PM CST
>> Oh.. I think I remember Caelumia posting about this. It makes your classes default to closed, yes?

Reserved and Cold both make your classes default to closed. TEACH OPEN does not override this for some reason and it is very, very annoying and it's the only reason I am not reserved all the time.

The SET command he's talking about does two things: one, it prevents you from being taught anything (which under old teaching was a way of seeing if someone had less skill than you) and it prevents people who ASSESS from seeing a relative skill level (basic, advanced, etc) of a class you are teaching.

Rev. Reene

Fenyr says to you, "You. Have. Issues."
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 02:50 PM CST
<<Cold doesn't prevent listening to a class, that's a Set command.

>> Oh.. I think I remember Caelumia posting about this. It makes your classes default to closed, yes?

Jombo, Huldahs has been around for a while. she is also a bard, its not wise to argue with her.

Demeanor cold(I think neutral maybe too) defaults class teaching to closed.
For sure, setting someone to COLD makes it so they CANNOT listen to your class. I've done it before.

Gonif,

Are you suggesting that a spell be written specifically to allow necromancers to move into an area protected by holy magic for the purpose of constructing a vulture heart candy trail for Khurek to follow?

-Totenus
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 03:23 PM CST
Oh right, AVOID not SET.

Derp.

Rev. Reene

Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 03:25 PM CST
Removed my long post, because it took too long to get research and everyone else already answered sufficiently about COLD and classes.

Demeanor neutral doesn't set your classes to closed unless you have that race specified cold. (I have Prydaens set cold).

They cannot listen to my classes or touch me Empathically unless they are on my friends list.

Tested with my demeanor in WARM and FRIENDLY as well; same reaction - at least for classes.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 03:53 PM CST
Daenar, I've been around a while as well and I didn't say anything about it defaulting a class closed I said, "Cold doesn't prevent listening to a class". You can always listen to any class no matter what your demeanor is, the only thing that prevents you from listening to a class is the avoid teach setting which only makes it so people can't offer to teach you a class.

I didn't say anything about having a class you are teaching being automatically set to closed. The reason I said "Cold doesn't prevent listening to a class" is because I have my demeanor set to cold and listen to classes all the time without having the teacher befriended.

Your demeanor is cold.

Click help for more information.
>befriend list
You don't have any friends!
>
Xxxxxx begins to lecture you on the proper usage of the Arcana skill.
To learn from him, you must LISTEN TO Xxxxxx.
(LISTEN HELP for more options)
>lis to xxxxxx
You begin to listen to Xxxxxx teach the Arcana skill.

Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 06:08 PM CST
>> Cold doesn't prevent listening to a class, that's a Set command.

>> Daenar, I've been around a while as well and I didn't say anything about it defaulting a class closed I said, "Cold doesn't prevent listening to a class".

I was specifically talking about TEACHERS setting a student cold. You cannot listen then. (If you are the student.) You can't really expect me(or anyone) to follow your logic of "if I set a teacher cold" because, even if they are cold, you are specifically typing LISTEN TO XXX. That would seem like your character is making a choice and bypasses demeanor. A similar example is having !JOIN and !HOLD, but you can still JOIN a group.

I hope this makes sense.

Gonif,

Are you suggesting that a spell be written specifically to allow necromancers to move into an area protected by holy magic for the purpose of constructing a vulture heart candy trail for Khurek to follow?

-Totenus
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/22/2009 09:09 PM CST
As far as I know, there is no difference between Cold and Reserved except messaging aesthetics. I assume the same is true of the other two?

The system is pretty underdeveloped.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/23/2009 12:05 AM CST
would like to see us able to set our demeanors to cold/reserved to avoid all the hugs and snuggles of random people while being able to set befriend empaths neutral. As it stands right now there is a lot of jumping from reserved to neutral to reserved and always with the occasional screw up of asking for help in the empaths guild only to pull away from the person who tries to help you. then having to whisper for them to try again, then forgetting to set it back to reserved and getting sucked into a cuddle puddle.

for the record it would also be nice to do the befriend with any guild. maybe your trader hates barbs.. who knows ( I see the potential for abuse though with befriend thief/necro cold) still at least the empaths guild!

-=<(Taeja Vakeho'leyiye)>=-

"Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts." ~ The Buddha"
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/23/2009 12:37 AM CST
I don't think there should be a befriend guild option... but I also don't think <Touch> should not be lumped in with someone stepping into your personal space for a hug or to lick your face.

It's unplayable, unrealistic, and unfun!

Also those three to what someone else said about demeanor and classes.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/23/2009 01:15 PM CST
>>I don't think there should be a befriend guild option... but I also don't think <Touch> should be lumped in with someone stepping into your personal space for a hug or to lick your face.

Seconded. I'd very much like to see TOUCH removed from demeanor control, along with the setting that makes all your classes default to closed. I wouldn't mind if they were set separately (perhaps using AVOID for touches and TEACH for the closed thing).

-- Player of Niieth
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/23/2009 02:47 PM CST
I've discovered that both COLD and RESERVED prevent NPC healers from healing you. :/

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/23/2009 05:30 PM CST
>>I've discovered that both COLD and RESERVED prevent NPC healers from healing you. :/

Yes...because it's completely natural that when you're bleeding and dying and the NPC healers are your only hope!! You'd...turn away from them when they try to heal you?

I would love to still be able to set my classes open even if my deamenor is cold/reserved....

Also I don't see a problem with demeanor stopping touching. But I would like to see a guild based deamenor option.

Befriend would take precedence over race demeanor which would take precedence over guild demeanor which would take precedence over basic deamenor.

I don't like the world [basic demeanor = reserved] and I especially don't like Prydaen [racial demeanor = cold] but I don't mind Empaths healing me unless they're Prydaen...[Guild demeanor = neutral but still cold towards any Prydaen Empath] but I especially love Billy Joe Bob the Prydaen[befriend = friend] since he's my best friend so he can hug me all he wants.
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/23/2009 05:32 PM CST
I really, really dislike the idea of a guild-based demeanor option, unless it somehow hinges on them having their profession on.

Make TOUCH an avoid again. LET TEACH OPEN OVERRIDE DEMEANOR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Rev. Reene

Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/23/2009 05:51 PM CST
>>I really, really dislike the idea of a guild-based demeanor option, unless it somehow hinges on them having their profession on.

Fair point, didn't even think about that...
Re: Demeanor/Befriend 12/27/2009 10:05 PM CST
>>I really, really dislike the idea of a guild-based demeanor option, unless it somehow hinges on them having their profession on.

Profession or a (pretend) guild title? :D

I would love something like that.

You drop some gum.

Jaedren picks up some dirt-coated gum.

Jaedren begins chewing the gum.

Jaedren suddenly fades away.

You say, "Oh gross."