A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 03/26/2004 02:39 AM CST
>> I want to thank those who have helped Pep be the ranger he is today and the Ranger he will be tomorrow.

Thanks, Pep. Its honestly things like that that keep me going. Seriously.

And now, being the board ghost that I am, chancing only seldomly to materialize and collaborate within these boards, yet haunting the ranger posts ritualistically (addictively), I will now make use of all the posts I have foregone for the past seven or so years (yup, I'm old).

<A tri-folded program is demurely placed in your hand as you enter the grove. You pay little attention to it, considering you've received one every time you've ever stopped by. Inside it, though, the messaging seems very conciliatory, and you sense some hopeful soul has invited you to sit and offer your attention.>:

"Disclaimer..."
"Hey there. Apparently, I've got an internal chest bleeder(read: bleeding heart), and if I continue foraging for ebony limbs(read: do nothing), I'm going to have a vitality death. Please, grant me your empathy. I'm too detached from Elanthia to remain incognito."

<Hastily scribbled below is a P.S.>:
"oh, the Disclaimer. the length of this is like a Krinahd speech after he gets his twelveth wind (it only started as a thank you to pep - I really honestly didn't intend it to be exhaustive, but, I guess neither does our aforementioned Resident Ranger Reasoning Reformer)."

<A legal, cultured, and carefully written P.P.S. follows>:
The party hereby presenting this monologue wish it to be known that no offense is intended, but merely hoped to, through the previous comment located in section two, underheading "P.S.", engage the audience with the use of a highly recognized name. Aside from the intentions of the responsible party, the content of said comment is limited to, only, an even (50/50) combination of banter and respect.

<You quickly check the sun in the sky, calculating the time, and consider whether you have time to stay for this now, or maybe you should come back to absorb it at a more appropriate time. Regardless, the scribes are attentive today, so you know the speech will later be posted on the Posting Tree.>

<Grim, bear-like, yet slightly cheesy announcer voice>:

"And now, a tribute, to Railstin, the elder Elothean Ranger Guru...

<urgent whispering emanates from a shady grove of trees>

<A few coughs are heard, and then the voice returns, sounding slightly more normal (still gruff - maybe less bear-like and more medium-sized doggish)...and apologetic>:

"There's been a discrepancy as to whether, erm, Railstin, can be designated as a 'Guru'....He has agreed to replace such a distinguished title instead with 'guy.'

<the whispering continues, and the voice quickly resumes>

"Railstin also wishes it to be known that he has no intention of insulting anyone by addressing the audience at this particular spot. He has, indeed, noticed the sign <a lopsided sign, stuck between two twisting maple trees, notes that this patch of soft grass is designated, by law, as the discussion area for Tributes To our Ranger Gurus>, and hopes that any of those present will accept that <the voice is interrupted by an apparent directive from back behind the trees, accompanied with a distinct, whimsical chuckle> uhm...will accept the fact that 'he has been unexpectably bitten by the 'go out into the world and show people that you exist' bug, and has decided to enjoy this excess of motivation while it lasts...Without further ado... <the voice continues, to itself> (adue? ad you? at who?....)"

<from the mind of the player of the Guy>
So anyway, Railstin, what, or I guess, who, the hell is he? I don't know, really...he's definitely not too social, but, too bad for him, he's got something of a conscious, inasmuch as he'll always drag, teach, or hunt with anyone who asks. (pretty standard stuff from all the posts I've read of 'what it is to me to be a ranger'...) That is, if he hasn't fallen into one of his cataclysmic narcoleptic lapses.

He holds dear his nostalgic memories, constantly peering into the past when he was on par with the big guys, although he's had to accept he wasn't known well then, either. His favorite thing is to find someone from long ago that remembers him, though there aren't many...(Kudra, for one, there have been a few others...Forestjade and Hawkford are long gone, as is Leggacy...anyone remember them?) And, just to throw it out there, there are a few acquaintences he himself remembers from his olden days of yore...Arctuniol (good name, incidentally), hardly an aquaintance, if he remembers right, roamed the lands. And he took Soim down to Undershard long ago, when the two were friends.

Based on his years, he's figured that he ought to be higher circle than any ranger not of the original inhabitant races of Zoluren that settled not too many years back. However, he recognizes the chance to keep that gap wide is long since gone. So, supposes that perhaps he'll keep the necros from usurping him.

Confession time...
Anyways, he gets pretty lonely, and has found a way to keep himself going on a base level by training in a mediocre fashion...he feels kind of lost in the world. And deep down, he knows the thing that would jump start him would be a sincere band of rangers with distinctive, realistic personalities to come across his path, calling forth for people of the same nature to join their band to go conquer...anything! Or, he could go find some himself! Sadly, he's a bit too down on himself to go do that...but the rare times when such company dawns on him are the best times he's ever had.

Example time...
Lately, when he's found such a sincere group, he's gone on missions. In particular, going out on 'quests,' trying to solve those riddles interspersed through out the realms (ones completed include that extensive one under The Crossing...ones attempted include a supposed arranging-puzzle in the germish-din (sp?)manor south of leth...and ones purported, include a supposed puzzle in Theren he's heard rumors of). The thing is, invasions don't seem to cut it; he hasn't recognized the order admist the chaos, and although he doesn't have too high a sense of self, he just doesn't really ever feel like joining a clan, army, etc...although he recognizes how it could enhance his time.

There are many he respects, Pep especially, because that guy, well first of all, had him realize he needed to explain himself (even if only for himself). Also, he reveres Pep as having among the strongest of personalities.

Another vocal member, Krinahd, a disciplined publisher of precise notes, has an insurmountable amount of motivation. Although Railstin has never met him, his published notes posted around this grove give a good indication of a strong, developed personality. As Spirit said, regardless of whether he wants to, he has respects the extensiveness of Krinahd's Elanthian knowledge.

<stops to ponder a bit, obviously collecting his thoughts> (and from the mouth of Railstin)

"Alright, now that I know what I'm doing up here, which is, to say..I'm kinda figuring out where I stand and establishing myself officially among all of you, especially among those that are active and frequently publishing speeches yourselves. Those close to me don't need to be mentioned, because they know it, and I would become boring to the majority if I spouted out my respect for someone unlargely known in these groves..."

<nodding to himself, he continues...you can tell he realizes he's put himself in a strange situation, but at the same time, you can also tell that he has faith in your respect and sympathy, for which appears to be the reason he continues>

You know what? I'll leave these mentions to another time...they can be done another time. Basically, what I want to say is, I'm tired of going on the adrenaline-inducing delusion that I am a 'stalker of the forest,' needing no one, and totally self sufficient. There's not much you can do with yourself that way...other than kill leucros. I need action, adventure, companionship, it appears...and if the society of Elotheans looks down on that, or if the society of rangers finds that too humbling, then so be it. Someone out there knows what I'm talking about. And you know what? I don't know how many of you are lost in this void of foraging everyday, having monotone conversations of how close you are to leveling, comparing circles...lets come together...develop yourself. Show me your personality...we need more individuality, and it would enliven me to see our guild become so full of personal, individual traits.

<the mind of the player of the 'guy' standing among you>
So that's it. I can't role-play the Ranger of Solitude anymore...I'm not that person anyway, and it was just to comfort me to the point of telling myself I'm a ranger badass that can scout better than anyone. I'm now wearing my heart on my sleeve, and Railstin will become more threshed out; envigorated, because of it. You should accompany me if you feel the same way; we can build off of eachother. Remember when that poll was posted, asking if you played your character based on yourself? It seemed to me like that idea had a bad connotation at first; you are being less inventive if you base it on your own everyday, go to school/work self, I thought. However, think about the possibilities and even just minor peculiarities you can add by playing what you know. I'm not saying try this with a fully developed character - don't. But those that are halfway developed, give it a chance. Seek me out and roleplay with me. We'll grow ourselves by interacting with eachother. Perhaps, by developing a character through your own personality (distinct, not vague or basic!), one can even hit a metaphorical level in Elanthia. As you roleplay a division of yourself, you actively examine what is inside you personally. Have you ever noticed that a long-pondered personal thought, when described in conversation, you gain a personal sense of ownership and closeness with the idea? Thus, it can become a measure for which you define yourself. The thought, imagination, and, then, interaction with your personally developed character enhances your self knowledge.

Everyone came to this game because they liked fantasy, and because they believed in their own good sense of imagination. Granted, when you understand the realms to the point of knowing numbers and percentages not even yet released, you loses that sense of discovery. You look forward to small expansions maybe years in the future because you feel you understand and have experienced almost everything already available.

So try this...
Have you ever been enthralled with new movie releases(or whatever media you choose...video games, music...), constantly checking release dates, and reveling in the anticipation of something not here? Did you realize down the road that the anticipation isn't worth it sometimes? To me, after awhile, it becomes like standing in line for the movie three months before it opens. And once it becomes too much, you break out of it yourself...and maybe you start to watch some older movies. What's amazing, is those films often have more of a punch, are more enlivening, than experiencing what's current. Suddenly, you forget you are even in line, and you enjoy what you thought you knew, but didn't. Sure, finding out new things that are coming is exciting...but that excitement is curbed by the eventual suffocating sense of anticipation. You'll forget you're in line when you realize what you have before you.

Even a newspaper - economically profitable by only keeping up-to-date - is fascinating as a 1-year old issue.

So what about circling? Why develop a thorough personality if I'm happy with my constant training while monitoring my scripts? Remember, those that do not invest, do not reap the rewards. I imagine a world where, apon entering our guild, we are dumbstruck by how each conversation is new, and original...each acted comment is contributory. Where we are not belittled, knowing that regardless of what race, sect, or items we are wearing, our base uniformity keeps anyone from bothering to LOOK and READ the currently most identifying aspect of our characters-our race and items. The ACTUAL most-important aspect of us, our personality, can easily be remembered and readdressed for years by those experiencing it, if we use it. And, when a person's characterization is noted, recognition of their race, sects, and items will follow.

Notice the 'circlular' path that chasing a level puts you in...you level in order to train better, but you train better in order to level. The snake feeds itself, but nothing else. Let's be the guild that intimidates the circle-chasers and mechanics-discussers of other guilds...We should still be these things as well-this is a valuable and irreplaceable aspect of us, too. But, none should be a tester only, or a leveler, only. Have the well-known-names in Elanthia become mostly Rangers. Those that started late will not be known for high circles; the way is through character development.

Its shameful that our text-based world was divided and separated (Platinum) so that people can find and experience honest roleplay without searching for it.

Seriously, I started in ...<"hmm a few years, plus about three on hiatus, its now 2004, and Apri-no May still,"...the counting continues for a bit too long, making you restless>. Seven and a half years, has Railstin been in existance...in fact I've never rerolled, or played another character (cept for that one day when I came back this past fall and was waiting for Railstin back...haha, the little guy's name was News, and I'd hear a pun at every city gate I arrived at. ("There's bad news..."That's News to me!"..."Where's Huey Lewis??!") Oh well that was fun, but needless to say, I don't know much about the other guilds, well, I know quite a lot, but not anything like the messaging they get, although, this anomaly keeps me interested, for example...

Remember, way back, when you'd talk to the NPCs, think you were role playing so well, and just went out the west gate to explore this territory that was so new, so exciting, and even meeting someone out in field goblins became a story of finding a lone ranger in the wilds, hacking down the foes that you cannot even touch...there was so much to explore, and mechanics mumbo-jumbo meant nothing...

well, I like to think that I still harbor some of that sweet ignorance of youth by not trying to play other characters...Also its a pride thing...I'm Railstin (second) oldest Elothean ranger, and going to stick...yeah, I've got some of that eliticism in me, and I'm embarrassed to point it out, but I might as well...I'm such an apparition in dr and the boards anyway (although I've read every post since september and those logged months before then...I know some stuff ;)). And I'm in the forties for circle, so I recognize, despite that common, constant drive to be competitive, my aspirations are a pipe dream (though I do still break down and indulge them).

<Railstin digs deep into his pocket and pulls out a wounded pidgeon, which flutters about lackidaisically. He offers it to the audience whispering an audible "Dragtima" under his breath.>

If you wish to speak to me privately about anything, I can be reached through him.
<Railstin pets his bird with a little too much force, causing its head to bob down, and prompty back up with each stroke.>

Ok, I'm done...now perhaps I myself have a personality among you...be it in Elanthia, or not. Frankly, I'm unsure of what I just really accomplished (if anything, anything at all...;), but I know I'm finished. It'll behoove you to wear your heart on your sleeve, it seems like it did for me, and I hope I might have inspired someone...I'd like to see what others have to say. Anyhow, I just realized, this monologue should have been posted in ranger ramblings, so I'm sorry for the error. And sorry about the continuity errors in the last few paragraphs...they were written out of order (but the post was begun and finished in a span of 8 hrs. I needed some breaks in between, as I'm sure you did, if you read all of this.)

Railstin

<You place your program in the pile. No one else is around anymore...either they absorbed the speech, or left before it was done. You figure you might just have to decide for yourself what you think about it.>
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 03/26/2004 10:44 AM CST
>>the length of this is like a Krinahd speech after he gets his twelveth wind

Mine are nothing compared to Dellica's. :-P Consider yourself lucky.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 03/26/2004 10:59 AM CST
<<Mine are nothing compared to Dellica's. :-P Consider yourself lucky.

Dellica even out did Hawkman.

Sylvado

"It's not much of an adventure without risk."
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 03/26/2004 11:43 AM CST
>>Mine are nothing compared to Dellica's. :-P Consider yourself lucky.

Does her content make up for her long-windedness?

Railstin
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 03/26/2004 11:59 AM CST
Ahhh! My eyes, my eyes!

Qreyq

Come to the Packhouse!
http://packhouse.home.comcast.net----
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 03/26/2004 12:49 PM CST
<ponders Role-playing in a Role-playing game>

As you know, Pep-tog is "hopefully" a pretty distinct personality. I realize that sometimes talking with him can be a bit frustrating. I am moving this discussion to the Roleplaying folder.

I am Pep-tog. Celebraty.
Striderr says, "You're a Viente Tog!"
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 04/11/2004 02:18 AM CDT
<<Dellica even out did Hawkman.

Sylvado>>

1. I was around before Dellica was even a glint in the Dragon's eye.
2. I was overloading the boards back when I was paying by the hour to write 5-post long novels.
3. I'll admit that I was wrong once or twice. (about the shoes? I was wrong about the shoes.)
4. I'm a Ranger.
5. I also talk as long-winded as I post.
6. I'm a Ranger. ;-)
7. Seven is a lucky number.
8. I enjoyed banter with many generations of Rangers.
9. I can remember when Trev held the first ever meeting and all the cool stuff he told us about then.
10. Wow, now we are on yet another swell Ranger Guru, we are in the 3rd Ranger Age I guess.
11. Good luck Paklin, because hopefully by now you realize what Jent sucker--I mean gave you to do.
12. Paklin will do fine as long as he remembers Rangers are always right, if you think about it a certain way.
13. Why am I writing by the numbers?
14. Lucky number 7 times 2 is 14.
15. Thanks for the new beseeches and the new spell. Haven't tried any of them, but I'm sure we'll see how they do.
16. I sleep more than Dellica, so there.
17. I think I ought to mention that twice since I'm gone so much, see 16.
18. Paklin's got his work cut out for him, but Paklin, you'll do fine. Just remember, a box of vivarin and a 6 pack of red bull will keep you up for days. If you hallucinate, cool, put them in-game.
19. I can kill stuff, Dellica can't. (from what I hear, that includes posts too.) lol.
20. Trev, Jent, Paklin, and many others who have passed thru the Ranger guild, well done. Things are going great so far.
21. Paklin, after you are doing pretty good and have gotten settled in, drop xing NE Gate on Striderr, the one he said he defended almost alone during the gorbesh war. hehe.
22. I'm like a bad penny, I always show up. Hopefully you won't get gone anytime soon Paklin, good luck here.
23. Being a teacher is hard, someone else come do it for me so I can play DR.
24. I'm glad there are so many other old people around or coming back. I was starting to wonder who the heck all these people were.
25. No matter how many times I am gone for a while, when I come back, there are always new things in the guild. Well done Ranger Team. Glad to have you here.
26. Thanks for getting foraging unbroken.
27. Thanks for making Tracking into scouting and making it work cooler.
28. No matter how many lines I can come up with, I can always come up with one more even if its not about our Ranger gurus and the fine job they are doing.
29. I think finally one more line will do for now. Oh, I was just kidding, I was never wrong, I'm a Ranger. Sheesh.
30. Ranger Gurus, thanks much. Rangers and all you other Rangers. "Be Rangerly."

Hawkman Windman
Ranger / What's a Circle?
Ranger who can count to 30.

"B. R."
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 04/11/2004 06:01 AM CDT
<<22. I'm like a bad penny, I always show up. Hopefully you won't get gone anytime soon Paklin, good luck here.

It seems you and the wife just come back for fests.

Sylvado

Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 04/11/2004 12:32 PM CDT
Always a pleasure to see the Hawk swoop through, even if only briefly.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 04/13/2004 12:42 PM CDT
>>21. Paklin, after you are doing pretty good and have gotten settled in, drop xing NE Gate on Striderr, the one he said he defended almost alone during the gorbesh war. hehe.>>

Never have I said this... and for once and for all here is Striderr's contribution to the Gorbesh war.

Woke up in the Crossing Stable.
Realized the City had fell during the night.
Headed to the Ranger guild, Sharyn was there and had a gweth.
Started telling Sharyn to have people come to the guild as a base of resistance.
Kept trying to get people organized.
Got a Vision from a GM that told me to get troops to assault the Barricade at the Leth side of the River.
Snuck to the Paladin guild to tell Rock and try to get us gathered together to go do what the vision said.
Ended up getting no one able to believe me so I snuck to the ferry and headed there myself.
Attacked some gorbesh from the rear and was kicking butt and then......

Poof game went down. I forgot what I did after that, I remember dying alot.

Be Rangerly you butthead <grins> and welcome back friend.

P.S This is the Fourth Age of Being a Ranger, there was a Ranger GM before Treveri, I forgot the name though.

~ Striderr Slayn ~ Ranger

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Still reading? What kind of a Secret Agent are you?
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 04/13/2004 01:05 PM CDT
<<Never have I said this... and for once and for all here is Striderr's contribution to the Gorbesh war.

I still remember that day. We entered the city using a passage that may have been overlooked by the staff. Cynda, Folcyn and I were trying to meet you down there but Folcyn couldn't resist a shot at a mage and got himself killed.

Sylvado

Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 04/13/2004 04:09 PM CDT
>>>Woke up in the Crossing Stable.

That part just cracked me up, for obvious reasons.

~Dulcinia

Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 04/13/2004 04:54 PM CDT
>P.S This is the Fourth Age of Being a Ranger, there was a Ranger GM before Treveri, I forgot the name though.

Snowlynx

Sgt. Qreyq
Baron's Own Militia

Come to the Packhouse!
http://packhouse.home.comcast.net----
Re: A Chance Meeting With A Quiet One. 04/13/2004 10:25 PM CDT
>>Woke up in the Crossing Stable.<<

>>That part just cracked me up, for obvious reasons.<<

Heh i thought i was the only one that caught that one. heheheh

Nimmo "Cabana Boy"

There are two ways of meeting difficulties, you alter the difficulties or you alter yourself to overcome them.

If you are not riding the wave of change, You will find yourself beneath it. So swim ranger swim.