How to hunt flex mobs 12/07/2018 04:04 PM CST
Hi I'm easing into DR again and was reading a discussion of how to hunt flex mobs in the Discussions folder. Two of the answers were from those who played necro or WM and I am curious how would a ranger fight flex mobs.

Frankly, I am discovering I have poorly trained myself and I would like to train myself a bit better. Since I am about 120 circle, learning is slow and so I figure I have plenty of time to remake myself.

When I was playing regularly, I kept out of invasions because I was upset at how poorly I could help during invasions.

So I'm trying to set up some goals to work for that doesn't involve crafting which totatlly stresses me out. :/

I really look up to rangers like Phanston, Asterid , Jalika, and Hanryu (as examples) and would love to know how they and anyone else likes to train.

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/07/2018 04:18 PM CST

Welcome back Zin! I would think you would need to show your relevant skills so one of the higher rangers than I can give advice.

Bluefalcon.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/07/2018 09:03 PM CST
Welcome back!

I currently am using flex-mobs to train shield for my plat-side trader, and she usually holds her own. You might want to do a quick appraisal on the critter you're facing to see how well it would teach. While that isn't fool-proof, it will give you some idea what your odds are against the critter in question.

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/08/2018 04:24 PM CST
>I am curious how would a ranger fight flex mobs.
>When I was playing regularly, I kept out of invasions because I was upset at how poorly I could help during invasions.

For flex and invasions I run this spell list
Hanryuinvasion:
Hanryucombat:
var Spells WOTPLWSKSEMEYCOTCOATHSTWINSTSOTTMAF
goto start

And stick to pole weapon for melee (scythe) while chucking off-hand light or heavy thrown during advance times. Keep DF and HB cycling to lock down tougher mobs. If it gets really hard I find that COTW can give me the edge.

At level I clown-suit, train 4 melee, 4 ranged, debil, and TM. All about them TDPs!
http://elanthiprofiles.com/character/ZJ0

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/08/2018 06:44 PM CST
Hey glad to be back, and heyo Blue and Hanryu and thanks for your posts.

I really was kinda looking for general ideas and curious how folks deal with invasions. I wasn't wanting specific training ideas for me personally. (Besides I hate to follow directions : D)

Hanryu, thanks for your post--interesting all the spells you use! And I do guess it is easier using a combat script. Scythe? Didn't know there was one in game...which kind of weapon is that?

Anyway, please continue to post how you fight during invasions and flex mobs. I know everyone has different styles and helps and it would be good to see what they are (kinda like the polls you used to do, Hanryu?)

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky (btw anyone if companion aging mechs are on?)
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/08/2018 09:06 PM CST
>interesting all the spells you use!

I think the ranger buff suite is one of the better ones. I just wish we had more abilities that were driven off of non-tert skills.

>And I do guess it is easier using a combat script.

For sure. I find it impossible to keep track of everything that needs doing without a script.

>Scythe? Didn't know there was one in game...which kind of weapon is that?

It's a halberd type (more slice than puncture). It teaches Polearms Skill.
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Weapon:Loimic_scythe_enameled_with_reaper_spiders_across_the_upper_curve_of_the_blade

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/11/2018 09:53 PM CST
I'm interested in understanding why debil is part of this calculation, this is what's really screwing me up here. Is there a debil based spell that kills? if not, i'm not sure i understand why flex mechs would take that into account beyond the simple fact that you can't learn debil outside of combat.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/11/2018 11:25 PM CST

I agree. It feels a lot like tactics. You still have to hit the creature with your killing moves for it to have any effect. In the case of something like duskruin or the corn maze, it's actually a hindrance due the the additional time and mana you have to plug into debilitation to successfully win the stat contest to successfully hit it with your now less effective weapons and spells.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/12/2018 11:48 AM CST
I agree about debil. It's additionally compounded by the fact that most of debil's power comes from your stats, and not your skill in debil.

Especially once you can cap the debil spell. At that point additional debil ranks are making the flex mobs harder, but they aren't actually helping you at all.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/12/2018 02:58 PM CST
Debilitation, and debuffs provided by tactics, are powerful offensive tools. That’s why Debilitation is taken into account when calculating a character’s offensive power.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/12/2018 03:51 PM CST

> Debilitation, and debuffs provided by tactics, are powerful offensive tools. That’s why Debilitation is taken into account when calculating a character’s offensive power.

How much does debilitation skill weigh into that powerful offensive tool (vs stats), and doesn't this mean that the best way to play is to intentionally tank your debilitation skill? Since flex mobs are really only used in times and places you need to quickly kill them, spending twice the time to reduce them to a level you can kill seems counter-intuitive.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/12/2018 04:54 PM CST
>intentionally tank your debilitation skill

Flex only cares about your highest offensive skill and highest defensive skill. If you have any weapon, or TM, higher than it... It doesn’t affect the calculation at all, which I suspect would be the case for most Rangers being weapon secondary and magic tertiary.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/12/2018 05:23 PM CST
>Debilitation, and debuffs provided by tactics, are powerful offensive tools. That’s why Debilitation is taken into account when calculating a character’s offensive power.

Right, but debilitation doesn't actually rely on the skill - it's a stat contest. AFAIK, the only thing the debilitation skill provides is the ability to add more mana to the spell. But it only takes a couple hundred ranks to cap the spells. Beyond that, we're just talking about casting faster. The debilitation skill is a terrible measure of offensive prowess - it's more akin to the primary magic or attunement skills.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/12/2018 09:33 PM CST
Oooo such interesting posts. Keep em coming and I find it really hard to manage combat and magic when I'm up against above level critters and sometimes at level. When it gets tough I usually hide. So I want to change that. Very interesting reading.

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky who keeps growling when I hunt....saying "just grab the neck and shake you stupid wolf" He really does think I am the stupidest would out there. :/
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/12/2018 09:43 PM CST
It is true that when my trader is hunting at level, she relies heavily on a spell that shows the critter's defensive flaws- in other words, it is a debilitating spell. I also buff heavily in such a way that my shield skills get enhanced since that is my girl's best defense. I am trying to train shield up on my rangers. Haromi used to train shield a lot. I bet he would have a lot to say!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/12/2018 09:52 PM CST

> Flex only cares about your highest offensive skill and highest defensive skill.

We're probably in the wrong forum for this now, but there are many guilds out there that will have higher debilitation than other skills.

> If you have any weapon, or TM, higher than it... It doesn’t affect the calculation at all, which I suspect would be the case for most Rangers being weapon secondary and magic tertiary.

And this now makes it an arbitrary penalty for those guilds.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/13/2018 06:35 AM CST
>>We're probably in the wrong forum for this now, but there are many guilds out there that will have higher debilitation than other skills.

Cleric, WM, Necro and possibly MM (If they've trained combat regularly) for sure. More than likely Empath (see MM) and Bards.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/13/2018 10:37 AM CST
>We're probably in the wrong forum for this now, but there are many guilds out there that will have higher debilitation than other skills.

Any magic primary or secondary guild has the potential easily because the caps for Debilitation seem to be higher than other offensive skills. It just depends on how they train.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/13/2018 10:54 AM CST
I find this argument hard to agree to, when I can hit mechanical mice on one character with 56% of the skill in my highest combat (which is Debilitation, actually). Weapon Mastery pulls it up a little bit, but it’s still a significant amount of skill to make up for.

There’s a difference, I think, between hunting and slaughtering. In MT events, you need to kill them quickly (slaughter). In hunting, you want to learn a diverse set of skills and time to kill isn’t as important. I think the solution is to tweak the MT flex mobs so they die a little easier, rather than remove Debilitation from the calculation.

Javac
That one guy

Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/13/2018 11:41 AM CST

> I find this argument hard to agree to, when I can hit mechanical mice on one character with 56% of the skill in my highest combat (which is Debilitation, actually). Weapon Mastery pulls it up a little bit, but it’s still a significant amount of skill to make up for.

If what you say is true then it shouldn't matter if debilitation is in the equation or not. It's just an added penalty.

> There’s a difference, I think, between hunting and slaughtering.
> I think the solution is to tweak the MT flex mobs so they die a little easier, rather than remove Debilitation from the calculation.

Ultimately, I think that satisfies the same request, but is it really easier to tweak the majority of mobs using flex mechanics (MT events) than it is to just tweak the mechanical mice to use debilitation? This way you can keep over-flexing their defenses for training purposes without worrying about missing some mobs here and there in the MT events.
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/13/2018 12:07 PM CST
It’s not a question of ease. MT events need to be addressed anyway, since people would rather forfeit the kill tasks and do nothing for 5 minutes.

Javac
That one guy

Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/14/2018 02:40 PM CST
I would absolutely love if mobs get killed more easily. And also be diverse so people of all skills can participate (though perhaps one ranger of skills one invasion and another set later--by skills I mean overall combat readiness).

Thanks, Javac for reading and responding to our posts. As a ranger, I feel the love.

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/14/2018 04:47 PM CST
>It’s not a question of ease. MT events need to be addressed anyway, since people would rather forfeit the kill tasks and do nothing for 5 minutes.

I'm glad it's being considered. For what it's worth, I did the kill tasks because I could usually complete them in about 5 minutes. But the thing that drove me crazy was waiting for them to initially spawn on a timed task.

Of course, creature spawn is kind of a larger issue as well. Maybe it's just me but running to a hunting area and then just waiting a minute for a mob to spawn always breaks the immersion and makes the world feel kind of dead. It's always been a pet peeve of mine, and I can only hope that it can somehow be addressed. (One idea is to have the HUNT command potentially spawn a creature in an adjacent room if there are none found in the search area. Since there's an 8 second RT on the action, I feel like that wouldn't be too resource intensive.)
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/14/2018 05:29 PM CST

Not a ranger, but the topic is interesting so I'll hop in anyways.

>>Of course, creature spawn is kind of a larger issue as well. Maybe it's just me but running to a hunting area and then just waiting a minute for a mob to spawn always breaks the immersion and makes the world feel kind of dead. It's always been a pet peeve of mine, and I can only hope that it can somehow be addressed. (One idea is to have the HUNT command potentially spawn a creature in an adjacent room if there are none found in the search area. Since there's an 8 second RT on the action, I feel like that wouldn't be too resource intensive.)

100% this. During the glory days, you know, when people 'remember' seeing 2000 players online (I'll give you 800) there had to be MUCH more intense use of system resources when it came to creature spawn/movement/tracking/etc. Would it be worth the effort to look at spawn and despawn mechanics and just have some ratio of critter to room count spawned objects at any given time? For example, if there's a 25 room grid, say there's always 4-5 mobs just roaming the area, waiting for something to walk in. I feel like adding that as a feature to the HUNT very, while handy, might be something that can and likely would get used (abused) by people looking to perform nefarious acts.

-Nsar
Re: How to hunt flex mobs 12/17/2018 01:40 PM CST
>adding that as a feature to the HUNT very, while handy, might be something that can and likely would get used (abused) by people looking to perform nefarious acts

I'm curious, how would this be abused? The suggestion was to generate a mob in a hunting area only when there are none nearby in the hunting area. But people are quite clever in abuse so what didn't I think of?