My first what to hunt post 03/15/2017 09:08 PM CDT
So, I recently returned after a five year hiatus and have been playing around with all the changes but can not find a hunting area where I can learn everything like I could back in 2012. It seems I can either learn weapons and armor or just evasion. Also, things that never used to even touch me can kill me if I am not super careful, like resusicants or storm giants, so I am looking for some advice from others to see what they think. Here's my vitals:

Strength : 50 Reflex : 100
Agility : 100 Charisma : 40
Discipline : 70 Wisdom : 45
Intelligence : 47 Stamina : 50

Evasion: 804
Skinning: 720
Stealth: 778
Shield Usage: 450
Light Armor: 682
Chain Armor: 536
Defending: 718
Parry Ability:644
Small Edged: 552
Bow: 665
Melee Mastery: 404
Missile Mastery: 531

Thanks in advance.
Re: My first what to hunt post 03/16/2017 04:05 AM CDT
Heya,

I'm nowhere near a combat expert, but it looks like you might need to backtrain shield until it is on par with your other armors and defensive akills. While backtraining shield, you could work on brig and plate as well as your lowbie weapons. I think black goblins or stompers near Boar Clan could work or the juvenile/young armadillos on M'riss...

When you are using your bow skills, are you reducing parry to 0 and increasing shield to max?? I'm assuming you are also using all available defensive buffs-sks, instinct, sott, CS (for balance and position), and MAF/LW when appropriate? At the same time debuffing the heck outta your old at level critters (storm bulls,etc) with devolve, cotw, HB or deadfall, and weave?

Also, you could try switching to being a metal (chain) armor primary Ranger or the lowest hindrance shield you can find. Training strength and discipline should positively impact your shield usage.

-Kivi, proud to have shield as my primary armor.
Re: My first what to hunt post 03/16/2017 02:31 PM CDT
Stormbulls should be pretty easy (maybe to easy to really move evasion) but should train anything sub 800 fairly well based on my experience. If you find something straight awesome, lemme know cause I'm right there with you. Black apes are ok and black goblins are nice but the boars don't teach me a thing anymore and just clog up the place.

~Hunter Hanryu
"Even adjusting the pace for Simu-Soon timescales, there is no way Mech Lore is still trainable in 2014 imo" - Apu(2013)
Re: My first what to hunt post 03/16/2017 04:54 PM CDT

With only 30 more evasion than you, i've been in young wyvern around, but have higher stats and parry/shield. I love Hib/Boar as a ranger hang out, and started with mountain giants, went to stompers, apes, and then splitters, then hopped to wyvern. Goblins might be a good fit in there and depending on how you do with buffs you could swap between stuff to work boxes and skins.

With your evasion so far outpacing every thing else, it'll take a while to get balanced again. I used to push my bow far ahead to circle and then found I had to work in multiple hunting zones. Easier to just make sure the secondary/tert stuff is keeping up and then move on.

Jalika
Re: My first what to hunt post 03/17/2017 01:51 AM CDT
@Jal - Do you really need wings to survive the wyvern's special drop-you-from-the-sky attack?
Re: My first what to hunt post 03/17/2017 05:57 AM CDT
Young and juvenile wyverns don't do the dropping thing, don't have to worry about that till adults. They do have stacking poison though, so bring herbs, especially ones that heal internals.
Re: My first what to hunt post 03/17/2017 12:20 PM CDT
Adult and bone wyverns have the special attach that picks you up and drops you.
A cloak helps slow your fall, wings work better. I think athletics is the skill that determines how well you use them.

Even with wings I'd get bad leg wounds that makes stealth tricky, so I moved away from wyverns after juvies.
Re: My first what to hunt post 03/17/2017 08:52 PM CDT

Ya, I haven't gone up to the adults yet, though I did pick up one of the cloaks at the last fest preemptively. I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be in this hunting ground forever, kind of like how I felt after Rossman Gryphons. I think I'll probably be ready to move on after juvies.

Jalika
Re: My first what to hunt post 03/18/2017 02:43 AM CDT
Juvie / Adult Dillos