Brigandine & Rangers 10/24/2015 12:23 AM CDT
Heya folks,

Just wondering if any rangers have decided to take advantage of our armor secondary benefits and chose Brigandine as their primary body armor. If so, what is your setup? Your experience with brig? Total weight? Stealth hindrance with/without SKS? We can start a group, The Brangerdines! (We could work on the name..)

For the chain primaries reading this, can you convince me to go to the "Light" side?

-Kivi, experiment!
Re: Brigandine & Rangers 10/24/2015 05:35 AM CDT
Primary reason for survival primes to use lighter armor:

Hiding. Evasion.

Primary reasons not to:

...TDPs?

Anyway, a less silly response: I would recommend a multi armor (light, chain, brig) set up for all times. When you want to train stealth, simply remove the brig (and chain if needed). For me, I prefer a brig glove, chain helmet, light armor remainder, set up. And if you're not going to be training stealth in the suit, you might as well slap some plate armor greaves in there too at this point. Then throw on a damage ablation ability, and you can tank with the best of them (yes, I'm aware DR doesn't have tanks, but you know what I mean).

But I'm lazy and hate swapping armor. A lot of people say that doing light or chain full body except legs, and simply swapping your legs, is the ideal way to do it. If you're going to do that they you can rotate in plate armor as well and get all 4.

I don't, ever, recommend a full body brig set up; the hindrance vs. protection when compared to chain (or even light) is a losing battle. Brig is in a crap place, where chain, and even light armor, are basically equal in protection, lost a little absorption, but have dramatically lower hindrance.
Re: Brigandine & Rangers 10/24/2015 08:25 AM CDT
Pretty much what Badgopher said. Your evasion is going to take a big hit in full Brig, and while SKS decreases Brig stealth hinderance the most, I'm not sure if it will lower it enough to compete with Light or Chain armor. Hinderance (stealth and maneuvering) play a huge role in success or failure, and Brig has a lot of both. I would recommend a set of heavy chain if you are looking for maximum protection while still being able to survive and hide. The protection will be near Brig but hinderance should be lower in both categories.
Re: Brigandine & Rangers 10/24/2015 09:06 AM CDT

I use a multi-armor setup. Keeping light armor as the bulk of it.

All of your armor:

an azure-scale targe with a reinforced design
some lumium heavy plate gauntlets crafted from tempered plates
a lumium scale balaclava
some nightmare black leathers

And I have a lumium ring balaclava I swap out when I get locked up.

In main set up - But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat (6/14) hindered and your stealth is fairly (5/14) hindered.

With sks - But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat (6/14) hindered and your stealth is lightly (4/14) hindered.

On a related note, does anyone at all ever use the Petrify beseech?

Jalika
Re: Brigandine & Rangers 10/25/2015 12:58 AM CDT
4 armor advanced set up, high skill:

a damite mail balaclava with a reinforced design (chain)
a padded heavy titanese shirt with fitted seams (cloth/light)
a crusty bark-hid targe with fitted seams (moderate protection while worn)
some damite heavy plate gauntlets with a reinforced design (plate)
some plate greaves (old forge brig)

Without SKS: But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat hindered and your stealth is fairly hindered.

With SKS: But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat hindered and your stealth is lightly hindered.

With SKS, No plate gauntlets: But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is insignificantly hindered.

Titanese shirt without petrify:

You feel certain that a padded heavy titanese shirt with fitted seams appears to impose high maneuvering hindrance and light stealth hindrance, offering:
very high protection and very good damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very high protection and high damage absorption for slice attacks.
great protection and very good damage absorption for impact attacks.
very good protection and fair damage absorption for fire attacks.
good protection and moderate damage absorption for cold attacks.
good protection and fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

Titanese shirt with petrify:
(hindrance goes up to moderate if still wearing plate gauntlets)
(hindrance goes down to lightly if plate gauntlets removed)

You feel certain that a padded heavy titanese shirt with fitted seams appears to impose high maneuvering hindrance and light stealth hindrance, offering:
very high protection and very high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very high protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
great protection and very high damage absorption for impact attacks.
very good protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
good protection and very good damage absorption for cold attacks.
good protection and good damage absorption for electrical attacks.
Re: Brigandine & Rangers 10/25/2015 02:07 PM CDT
@DRFREAK3 that is a good setup! Titanese, damite, and bark-hid might be past my price point. Plate really negatively impacts stealth. Also, good to know that Petrify works on cloth now. I tried Petrify with old perfect azure-scaled leathers (reinforced pattern) using 150 align, went from good absorption to very high absorption. Petrify lasted around 7 minutes while spirit regeneration took 15 minutes to get back to full.

@Jalika Does the lumium chain balaclava get you below lightly stealth hindrance with SKS? What if you tried scale gloves and the chain balaclava?

Thanks for the input!

-Kivi
Re: Brigandine & Rangers 10/25/2015 06:02 PM CDT
All of your armor:

some scale gloves
a ring helm
a light plate mask
some nightmare black leathers
a small shield

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat (6/14) hindered and your stealth is insignificantly (3/14) hindered.

The metal is lumium, the shield is diamondhide. Armor tert. Should work well. Even if you can't afford the diamond hide, you can get a lumium sipar with the same hindrance. The name of the game is giving up protection for hindrance.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Brigandine & Rangers 10/25/2015 11:40 PM CDT

Aye, that set up I use for the 4 armors is the most protecting with the heaviest armors.

If you change them to the most protecting lumium version you can get it down to light hinder and insig stealth with an SKS.

That is what I did to start out with until I got the skill to use the more protective armors with slight overall hinder increase.

I prefer the more hindering stuff now even though it might be unusual for a ranger. Nothing can really hurt me except in the titanese regions, so the PETRIFY is handy if you are in a pinch. I think I can pull off a 270 alignment and it will last around 10 roisaen or so. But that is just an estimate, I haven't timed it.