Help with longbow hunting 04/04/2013 02:42 AM CDT
Hello,

I pop in and out of DragonRealms every so often so I might miss some updates but can someone help me with bow hunting. Essentially, whenever I pull a bow out I get beat up but with a sword, I can handle the same critters just fine.

Here are some of my stats:
Parry 118
Evasion 135
Defending 124
Leather armor 129

Small Edged 120
Bow 112

Now my evasion is 17 ranks higher than my parry so I thought it would be more effective. However, when I have my bow out, 1 croc will be able to get a good shot on me and stun me. With my scimitar out, I'll be able to dance with 3 crocs no problem. Is this just a feature of bow hunting? Is it a lot more difficult to defend yourself when using a bow?

Someone suggested shield but would that fix my problems? I would have to backtrain it if so. Just double checking. Thanks,

-Tir
Re: Help with longbow hunting 04/04/2013 03:04 AM CDT
Relying on only one defense(evasion, shield, parry) only leads to dying unless your extremely underhunting. You can't parry while using a bow so you'll need to consider using an arm worn shield. If you really really don't want to backtrain shield then you could try hiding and poaching. This will require you to focus on keeping your critters from retreating and leaving though.

Bottom line is you'll either need to backtrain shield or practice range management to use a bow(or any ranged weapons).

Don't forget the stacking attack penalty for retreating either.
Re: Help with longbow hunting 04/04/2013 11:53 PM CDT
Backtrain shield. Not training a shield is a terrible idea, especially if you want to train bows.
Re: Help with longbow hunting 04/06/2013 10:17 PM CDT
I was in this position about 10 years ago. Train shield, you will never regret it. A shield will be your best friend as you move to newer hunting grounds. I find I can rely on a shield for protection quite a bit more than parry. While backtraining shield, make sure to also train one or five other melee weapons. You also won't regret that. Since us Ranger's have a 2nd Armor requirement, shield is a good fit. Though right now I also train every armor. No such thing as training too little!

- Saracus