Locksmithing in 3.0 01/04/2013 06:20 PM CST
So when 3.0 finally drops it looks like i'll be needing to train locksmithing as more than a hobby. I'll have 150 ranks in it with my weapons and defenses in the 200-240 range. Any suggestions to train the skill at that level that doesn't involve visiting the islands?
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/04/2013 06:49 PM CST
Where do you hunt? And what do you hunt? I found box training not at all hard to train. I went from trolls in fens, to ogres in P5, and to bandits, and raiders. Oh yeah, somewhere in there, I hunted adan'fs for their boxes too.

There was a box hiatus from trolls in fens to ogres, and before bandits, or alongside bandits, I hunted genis.

Hope this helps--clear as mud right?

If you hunt armadillos and such, I can't help you. Hope someone else can.

Oh yeah, boxes will be easier to train in DR3 because you get disarm/lockpick combined into one skill (still called lockpicking though).

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/04/2013 07:27 PM CST
Currently hunt red leucros and la'tami. Was getting boxes from gargs but I think they top out at 150 hence the need for a new source. And the new skill is locksmithing just fyi.
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/04/2013 08:15 PM CST
I had about the same ranks as you about 3-4 months ago in lockpicking/disarm. I'm training them pretty good in the Rossman orc bandits. I've got like 30+ ranks in disarm in that time. Now you have to realize I only play about 4-5 hours a week. If you play more you'll go faster. Also remember to pick blind as I can lock my lockpicking in ~2 boxes. My disarm is higher still but I do get it to move for me at an ok rate.

Bluefalcon
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/04/2013 10:34 PM CST
You should be able to handle the Lang swampies if the red leucroes don't give you much trouble. I trained boxes there for a while. Alternately, you might consider some of the harder disarm and picking options for the garg boxes.

Good luck!

Ryeka and the brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/05/2013 01:14 AM CST
I right at 150 myself and have been hopping around between gargs, thugs in Crossing and swains. Crossing thugs and swains are working best, they drop a ton of boxes! Gargs are probably a bit too easy at 150 ranks.

I think the lower level orcs would be a good step after that, especially with bonuses and WOTP up.

GENT
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/05/2013 01:44 AM CST
Aren't Thugs and Swains in cities? And if so, do you completely tank your bonus every time you go hunting there? I'm just curious is all.

Scarith
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/05/2013 01:53 AM CST
Not really? If I try and get a full bag and backpack worth of boxes, it can take awhile, and I'll tank. If I just got for 10 or so boxes, it doesn't take that long and my bonus doesn't hurt too much.

I'm really just trying to push through these early ranks to move on to other box droppers that aren't city dwellers, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit. It's definitely not ideal.

GENT
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/05/2013 04:42 PM CST
Tried out Orc scouts up in rossman's in test. They'd work wonderfully if it wasn't for the warcats casting hypnotize the entire time. "Lay ward" and "essence of yew" didn't seem to do much of anything. Anyone know the skill/stat contest needed to stop being "chain" calmed? Before I could do anything I'd get hit with it again as the last spell wore off.
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/05/2013 04:57 PM CST
>>Before I could do anything I'd get hit with it again as the last spell wore off.

As far as I know, this is a bug in 3.0 and will be resolved eventually.

>>Anyone know the skill/stat contest needed to stop being "chain" calmed?

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Magic_3.0#Stat_vs_Stat_Spells

Mind vs Willpower IIRC.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/05/2013 06:00 PM CST
This won't really solve the problem, but would be a quick fix: I think you can respec in Test right now. You could respec to boost your magic defense against that contest and see if it helps. You'd at least be able to try out the boxes a bit easier?

GENT
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/05/2013 06:10 PM CST
I dumped some spare TDPs into disciple and the 5 point boost seemed to help. I'll probably be fine after boosting it another 5 points. The two boxes i got originally got me over 17/34 including a couple of pulses. Im looking at magical feats now to see if they'll help while earning those 5 stat points.
Re: Locksmithing in 3.0 01/05/2013 08:21 PM CST
Try and use SOTT if you can. It gives a heck of a boost. Glad you found something that will help you train those skills.

Bluefalcon