whats your thoughts 10/05/2012 05:14 PM CDT
ok so apes are starting to not teach me as well as they used to (read: I can with four of them, no spells up, and not get touched). I like a challenge, aka getting beat up. and I'm not sure where to move to. I prefer mainland hunting as i can get anywhere on the mainland in about 5-10 minutes (yay being a ranger) so... what's your thoughts?

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: whats your thoughts 10/05/2012 06:11 PM CDT
If skinning is a req (Ranger, I'm assuming yes) you may be out of luck for mainland hunting past Apes. I think you're confined to Dillos from here til 3.0.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: whats your thoughts 10/05/2012 09:19 PM CDT
You can move to hierophants in river haven but the puzzle is a pain in the ass especially if you don't have an empath inside with you. Or just bite the bullet and go to juveniles since they're a much better alternative. Though you're off the mainland since until not too recent (unless we're being fed more BS about mainland dillo level hunting actually happening) HLC have been quarantined to M'riss.
Re: whats your thoughts 10/05/2012 09:23 PM CDT
So that's where you are! Ok, I'm no expert but have you tried malchatas? I remember Falker hunting there ad nauseum. Also, those dragon priests in the spire...the upper one What are they called? Purifiers...interrupters or something like that? Sadly I can't find them on any map. But I can't find the spire on any map either. Also, are dancers easier than apes?

Hope you find something fun to hunt. Raesh is going to put more high level critters but he just posted that it won't be until after DR3 and his personal life is on hyperdrive so....

You can always come up to Rossman's and annoy my raccoon with your wolf. : D

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow
Re: whats your thoughts 10/05/2012 09:35 PM CDT
Ok, I found the maps of the black spire on elanthipedia's forhfedhar hunting guide. The priests in the spire that are upper ones are juggernauts and interssesors (ranik's map 142. I'm trying to find the guide that actually rates these. Best of luck to you and your hungry wolf.

Re: whats your thoughts 10/05/2012 10:23 PM CDT
Other than hierophants you can give resusicants or head-splitters a shot...how high did you ride apes too? 600+?

DP juggernauts are lower than apes, you'd be in assassins and they snipe so being a bow user may be rough on you. The apes bone throw did marginal damage even if they caught you unbidden with your bow loaded, can't say the same for assassins. Don't have experience with malchata but everyone bitches about their special so I skipped them. I guess try them if the other options don't work?
Re: whats your thoughts 10/06/2012 10:02 PM CDT

I saw a post where whoever posted it said he was training in interssesors up to 1250 or so. That might be good for you to hunt. As for malchatas, when I was circle 40th or so, I was the recipient of the sand swarm knocking me down and stunned while the malchata casually ate me. But I think Purnay will do just fine in there. I haven't been back there since so take what I say with salt.

Re: whats your thoughts 10/07/2012 05:39 PM CDT
Intercessors teach up to 1250+ ya, but you can't transition there right from apes. Depending on how long he worked apes to he can hit up hierophants, head-splitters, malchata (though I remember even high stats not resisting sand storm), resuscitants etc
Re: whats your thoughts 10/07/2012 10:46 PM CDT
Oh thanks for the order of critters! I'm way below Purnay in skill so I can only guess.

Re: whats your thoughts 10/09/2012 02:12 AM CDT
PUrnay, did you find at level critters to hunt? If so, what are they? I'm curious where you decided to hunt. Someday, I'm gonna be where you are and will want to know.

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow who doesn't care where we are as long as she has corn
Re: whats your thoughts 10/09/2012 04:57 PM CDT
eh I'm pretty much toughing it out in apes still, honestly they still lock all my combats, just a lot slower then they used to. i have a feeling that when 3.0 exp and 3.0 combat I won't be moving up critters. I used ranged and I'm pretty sure that A) I'm going to have to bring missile mastery way up as my combats are ahead of my circle (my sixth survival is whats slowing me down) and B) bows aren't going to be able to hit as well against critters. For example with defenses around the 600's my bow is at least 100 ranks behind. I have a feeling 3.0 is going to make me train my bow up to where my defenses are. Also I'm sure I'm going to be back training tactics and what not. also i have the min reqs on parry... I just hate to use it when a shield does the same thing and more (aka blocks melee AND missile ranged attacks, where parry only defends melee attacks) so I'm going to be bringing a whole lot of skills up once 3.0 rolls out so I won't be worried about moving up critters at that point. I figure by the time I DO have to move up critters, they'll have rolled out something on the mainland in theren like they've been hinting at. but what I want is something 600-800 range that's just like apes. I am one of those people who hates eeking out ranks to the very cap of a critter. I move to new critters once I have the min skills needed to a) kill one, and b) survive one for more then a minute :-)

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: whats your thoughts 10/09/2012 09:53 PM CDT
Yeah I move to critters as soon as I can rather than try to cap out a critter, too. But I'm concerned about your take on bows. Sheesh, my bow is like 400 ranks behind my defenses. Guess I better make more arrows and just use bows for a while. Although I haven't given up trying to make all skills I train (magic included) 500 at least, just for fun.

Re: whats your thoughts 10/09/2012 10:34 PM CDT
I read some of the changes I.E. the masteries were being implemented to make back training LESS of a pain in the ass, so I don't know, hold out hope you may not be in such a bad situation post 3.0.

- Buuwl
Re: whats your thoughts 10/10/2012 10:18 PM CDT
There is hope then, that DR3 will actually help me in some way.

Re: whats your thoughts 10/11/2012 08:52 AM CDT
When has any new implementation ever truly helped Rangers?

Arct
Re: whats your thoughts 10/11/2012 08:56 AM CDT
Never. Rangers are the worst guild to ever exist and every GM hates them all.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: whats your thoughts 10/11/2012 03:44 PM CDT
I posted hope, not great hope. More like very thin hope but hope none the less. I think the rangers guild should have 2 mottoes:

No ranger stands alone and

Suck it up and carry on

We always do.

Re: whats your thoughts 10/11/2012 11:17 PM CDT
Where does this No Ranger Stands Alone nonsense come from anyways?
Re: whats your thoughts 10/11/2012 11:25 PM CDT
>>Where does this No Ranger Stands Alone nonsense come from anyways?

I think Rangers were traditionally viewed as Elanthia's "special forces" so I've always chalked up the statement as a militaristic camaraderie phrase.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: whats your thoughts 10/11/2012 11:26 PM CDT
IIRC, its a motto from pre-web days. It was supposed to represent the not-so-obvious bond that many Rangers, at the time, felt towards other Rangers. Some still stay true to it.

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: whats your thoughts 10/11/2012 11:27 PM CDT
>a militaristic camaraderie phrase.

Yeah, that.

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: whats your thoughts 10/12/2012 10:17 AM CDT
There may be some record of it in some of the books/papers strewn around the lands.

I like the premise that while Rangers make every attempt at being self-sufficient you always have another Ranger out there to help you out.

I've always held it as the core value of being a Ranger. It might be old fart thing...

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
no ranger stands alone 10/12/2012 04:56 PM CDT
::rubs his temples::

reading this has giving me a headache. if you're a ranger please go to the cursings ranger guild, head up to the library in the tree. There's a book that has a story about a young ranger long ago who learned why our motto is.. No ranger stands alone.

Having said that, these days there are a few rangers out there I don't feel that way towards, ones I think give our guild a bad image. when i joined the guild there were some older rangers who really taught me how to BE a ranger. There were others who i just looked up to in awe, who I wouldn't think to approach, but when i was in need they just showed up and offered help, like it was nothing. No tips accepted, just help out another ranger when you can was all they asked of me. I try to do the same for young rangers in need of help when i see them. Heck i also remember the days when teefs and rangers had guild wars... i was REALLY young then. sometimes makes me wistful for the old days...

In my day we walked to school up hill, both ways, in the snow, barefoot, with pirates attacking non stop!

~Purnay
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/12/2012 06:57 PM CDT
And when Purnay was a little ranger arrows were tipped with stones and the book in the tree was carved into stone.

All of which is even scarier because he has been killing me in the guild for fun since I was 20th circle.

I knew it was written somewhere, I just couldn't remember where~

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/12/2012 07:15 PM CDT
>Having said that, these days there are a few rangers out there I don't feel that way towards, ones I think give our guild a bad image. when i joined the guild there were some older rangers who really taught me how to BE a ranger.

Rose tinted lenses. Every guild has 'back when I joined we were real men and the women were men and the horses were women and we ate raw glass and walked uphill both ways to the tree and loved it' etc. etc. etc.

Times change. Reading this in the rangers forum is a little less tedious than reading it in the thief forums, but only because it doesn't crop up here every 3 months.

We have a cross section of good players, snerts, worthless human beings, and awesome players/people, same as ever. I don't see weapons grade stupid out of Rangers any more often than I see it out of thieves, WM, or Necros.

Re: no ranger stands alone 10/13/2012 08:58 PM CDT
I would really hate to see No Ranger Stands Alone motto/creed scattered into the winds. There is a reason we all became rangers and I like to think some of it was a willingness to help others and those young in our guild. I know there are selfish rangers and selfless rangers and the later I hope never to lose.

Re: no ranger stands alone 10/13/2012 09:58 PM CDT
>...There is a reason we all became rangers...

Best skill set placement in the game.
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/14/2012 12:47 AM CDT
>Best skill set placement in the game.

For now.

Mwahahahahahaha.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/15/2012 03:29 PM CDT
>Best skill set placement in the game.

not a good reason to become a ranger...

~Purnay
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/15/2012 04:15 PM CDT
>not a good reason to become a ranger...

Depends entirely on what you want out of the game. It's a bloody great reason to become a ranger.

Re: no ranger stands alone 10/15/2012 06:10 PM CDT

Why's that? If they do 3.0 right it'll be an even better reason once ranks actually matter.
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/16/2012 05:54 PM CDT

you shouldn't become a ranger because oh hey they learn stealths and evasion faster, and can keel people and have awesome ranged skeelz etc etc...

you should become a ranger because you have a love for the wilderness, because you want to explore, you want the comrade-re... be a ranger for the sake of being a ranger... not because oh hey in this game they're one of the best stealth classes... I honestly don't care if this makes me a geek/nerd (we all are, we play a text based game) but seriously becoming a ranger because of the "best skill set in the current form of the game" takes away from what it means to BE a ranger.

Rangers - we're masters of the wilds, scouts, animal friends, bow masters, hunters...

~Purnay
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/16/2012 09:31 PM CDT

Hell has frozen over...I agree with Purnay! I just don't understand those who play for the numbers and by the numbers only. Guess that's why I don't play WoW.

And oooo I got promoted to a geek-me who can't script a hello script.

Re: no ranger stands alone 10/16/2012 09:46 PM CDT
> I just don't understand those who play for the numbers and by the numbers only. Guess that's why I don't play WoW.

Well, that's fine. Takes all types. But the pure RP person isn't any better or worse than the guy who keeps using 'larp' as though it's funny. Best to bear that in mind, neither of you can apparently understand each other, but both derive a lot of enjoyment from the game.

And again...neither is better.

Though honestly the idea of sitting around all day doing nothing but talking over tea is anti-fun to me.

Re: no ranger stands alone 10/16/2012 09:55 PM CDT
i don't know if you've ever been arround me in game... but i'm generally not a talk about tea kinda person... I try to train hard so i can kick ass, admittedly I've had my ass kick by the arkarms enough. but i enjoy gett'n into the battle against them. I believe shooting people in the face is the epitome of good RP. but at the same time, someone who bought a char and runs arround killing people just because they can is dumb, someone who runs arround killing people with a good goal or objective that makes it so that many can be involved or NOT involved as they want, with a good story behind it is worth while. i'm pretty sure i rambled this entire post and have no idea if it makes any sense

also Zin the world will not end until I agree with rantjur on something

~Purnay
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/17/2012 11:46 AM CDT
I think personally I joined the Rangers mainly because of books I read and thought the idea of a Ranger/Druid type character would be cool. not to mention Elf one would be cooler. Then I realized that our guild is like a rudderless ship. We haven't had a rudder in a long time. I think we have cool skills, I dislike becoming more cookie cutter and similar to other guilds and I believe it takes away our identity. As far as no ranger standing alone, personally we all stand alone, and more solitary than most I would suspect but doesn't mean we have to shun each other. Too much is put on being the baddest of the bad top dog at killing other characters. I prefer to drink and wench, more fun.

Just my take for the day

Arctuniol
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/17/2012 12:40 PM CDT
>Then I realized that our guild is like a rudderless ship. We haven't had a rudder in a long time.

Ya. Rangers totally suck. You should reroll. All of you.

I get tired of almost every ranger post being self pity parties.

Re: no ranger stands alone 10/17/2012 12:41 PM CDT
>you shouldn't become a ranger because oh hey they learn stealths and evasion faster, and can keel people and have awesome ranged skeelz etc etc...

>you should become a ranger because you have a love for the wilderness, because you want to explore, you want the comrade-re... be a ranger for the sake of being a ranger... not because oh hey in this game they're one of the best stealth classes... I honestly don't care if this makes me a geek/nerd (we all are, we play a text based game) but seriously becoming a ranger because of the "best skill set in the current form of the game" takes away from what it means to BE a ranger.

>Rangers - we're masters of the wilds, scouts, animal friends, bow masters, hunters...

>~Purnay
>"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."

As the player behind the Ranger I chose Ranger because of the skillset placement and abilities. My enjoyment or lack of enjoyment as a player for the Wilderness has no bearing or choice of what character I want to create in Dragonrealms. Sure, being a Ranger my character has a fondness for the wild and will do some exploring, but that's part of his RP which is separate from why I the player created him.
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/18/2012 12:32 AM CDT
>>you should become a ranger because you have a love for the wilderness, because you want to explore, you want the comrade-re... be a ranger for the sake of being a ranger... not because oh hey in this game they're one of the best stealth classes... I honestly don't care if this makes me a geek/nerd (we all are, we play a text based game) but seriously becoming a ranger because of the "best skill set in the current form of the game" takes away from what it means to BE a ranger.

Or because they have the best skillset in the game.
Re: no ranger stands alone 10/18/2012 07:06 PM CDT
LOL, just shows you what a diverse group we are. Ask 3 rangers the same question and you end up with 5 opinions.

Bluefalcon