Longbow 08/08/2012 03:13 PM CDT
Maybe I'm hunting the wrong thing or maybe I need to change my tactics, but I seem to be having trouble learning longbow. Right now I have 238 ranks and have been hunting geni's, but I can hunt in there for 30 to 40 minutes and get to around 13/34. I hide and poach. Judging from the range geni's teach I would think I still have a ways to go with them, but maybe I am wrong. Anyone have suggestions on what I could do differently or maybe I should change what I hunt. All of my defenses are at 250 and I have no problem training those or HE (228) with geni's.

Thanks,
Keo
Re: Longbow 08/08/2012 04:45 PM CDT
try baby gryphons? load aim stalk poach
rinse and repeat ad nauseum (sp?)

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Longbow 08/08/2012 05:02 PM CDT
>Maybe I'm hunting the wrong thing or maybe I need to change my tactics, but I seem to be having trouble learning longbow. Right now I have 238 ranks and have been hunting geni's, but I can hunt in there for 30 to 40 minutes and get to around 13/34. I hide and poach. Judging from the range geni's teach I would think I still have a ways to go with them, but maybe I am wrong. Anyone have suggestions on what I could do differently or maybe I should change what I hunt. All of my defenses are at 250 and I have no problem training those or HE (228) with geni's.

Never hunted genie so I don't know the real rank gap, but are you doing full aimed shots with poach? Are you landing huge hits or are they smaller hits? What arrows are you using, IIRC they are piercing or slice resistant. There's two approaches to working ranged people take. Machine gunning aim;fire|poach|snipe to get low hits as fast as possible or full aimed and doing as much damage as possible before killing it. I.E capped right arm shot, capped left arm shot, capped chest shot.
Re: Longbow 08/08/2012 08:04 PM CDT
<<try baby gryphons? load aim stalk poach
rinse and repeat ad nauseum (sp?>>

Baby gryphons are way above him for right now. I have over 100 more in longbow than he does and baby griffons teach me well. Geni's should still teach you. Are you taking full aim or snapshooting? The more hits you get the more you learn. (If the damage is about the same.) Can you learn snipe and dual load yet? IMO if you can use dual load/fire you'll learn at almost twice as fast. Otherwise you might try the herrangi boars on the islands or scout orcs in the Rossman's area.

Bluefalcon
Re: Longbow 08/08/2012 11:26 PM CDT

I usually load/aim/hide/poach as quickly as possible. Almost never a full aim. I also hunt with a capped STW. I can kill a geni in 3 shots doing this. I went up to Rossman's for baby gryphons and while waiting for a spot to open up I took a shot at the orc bandits. That went pretty well. Much better than the geni's. After that I killed some baby,fledgling, and young gryphons. They were amazing, but they knocked me around pretty good if they got a shot in.

Keo
Re: Longbow 08/09/2012 12:14 AM CDT
Dual load is your friend. I swear I learn LB faster when I use dual load. Otherwise it's what Purnay said.

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow
Re: Longbow 08/09/2012 02:22 PM CDT
Geni should still be teaching fairly well at that level. Black leucros will teach into the 250s IIRC. Try webbing / immobilizing them first, and def. use dual load. Ranged learning is maximized with higher damage per shot, so find the sequence that kills with the fewest shots. Always stalk before you fire from hiding - few extra seconds of aim will make a big difference in damage.

Also check your arrow type - find some that have higher stats like Basilisk head or the like.

- Kart
Re: Longbow 08/09/2012 03:02 PM CDT
Go to baby peccaries on Mriss or Lang, You will learn so much better there.

Arct
Re: Longbow 08/09/2012 04:04 PM CDT
You can overhunt with your longbow by 100+ ranks assuming you have basilisk arrows (and that's without buffs) and still kill very effectively. Try baby gryphons (hide and retreat a lot).
Re: Longbow 08/10/2012 08:55 AM CDT

You shouldn't have to overhunt to learn longbow unless your ranks are severely skewed in which case you should align them. You can progress and learn every applicable skill off one mob unless you're doing boxes.
Re: Longbow 08/10/2012 05:26 PM CDT
baby gryphons weren't out when I was 250-300, but i hunted the young gryphons in shard at 300 level... yeah got my arse kicked but learned a lot. I will say this, my personal preference is to lock up all my defenses before I even start training my bow. I try to keep my defenses ahead of my offense. I also always keep sot sott and maf up when hunting.

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Longbow 08/10/2012 05:34 PM CDT
What is maf?

Pathyn
Re: Longbow 08/10/2012 06:27 PM CDT
>>What is maf?

Manifest Force.

As long as you're not continually pummeled, it does an amazing job at removing all those errant light hits you face.

I know I love using it when trying to train parry, just to shake off all the minor hits and keep away the scuffs.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Longbow 08/10/2012 07:31 PM CDT
<<What is maf?>>

Pathyn,
I think its on a scroll that can be dropped by NPC's I'm not in game right now buy I got a scroll of some sort in my backpack that's sorta like a soooped up SOT. I'm waiting for my next spell slot so I can memorize it and not have it as a one time use. Might ask around to see if there's one for sale.

Bluefalcon
Re: Longbow 08/10/2012 09:42 PM CDT
Path, I'm not in game at the moment and won't be until I cool off (my hands are dripping all over the keyboard). But I have a couple of MAF scrolls I would give you if you find me.

Re: Longbow 08/11/2012 05:15 AM CDT
>>You shouldn't have to overhunt to learn longbow unless your ranks are severely skewed in which case you should align them. You can progress and learn every applicable skill off one mob unless you're doing boxes.

You don't have to overhunt to learn longbow. I was pointing out that you can overhunt a lot to learn longbow not only well, but insanely well.
Re: Longbow 08/11/2012 12:50 PM CDT
Dual load really is a help. You'll need HoL up but should work great. 230s offensively is a good range for baby gryphons, but you'll want your defenses closer to 250-300s.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Longbow 08/13/2012 02:07 PM CDT
Thanks Zinaca. Where can I find ya?

Pathyn
Re: Longbow 08/14/2012 09:08 AM CDT
>You don't have to overhunt to learn longbow. I was pointing out that you can overhunt a lot to learn longbow not only well, but insanely well.

Cool, you can also sit in a class all day and learn longbow.
Re: Longbow 08/14/2012 11:20 PM CDT

Sure thing Path! I'm down Shard way. But only in and out right now due to heat. My computer really needs to learn how to cool off.

Re: Longbow 08/14/2012 11:22 PM CDT

<<Cool, you can also sit in a class all day and learn longbow.>>

Are you an empath or a ranger? We don't sit, much. Dern lazy youngers!

Re: Longbow 08/15/2012 12:03 AM CDT
Thanks for sending the scroll in my direction! Now I need to figure out how much skill I need to learn the spell. I thought that the arcana cj I had would help me out, but no dice. :(

Pathyn
Re: Longbow 08/21/2012 05:12 PM CDT

Path, you might want to try a scholarship cj and try the scroll again. I think scrolls are based on scholarship rather than, or along with arcana.

I was reading in another folder that all scrolls we have now, will be junk once the 3.0 magic comes in "soon". So if you can't use the scroll now, don't worry. Once the dreaded Everything comes to pass, you will likely have all the stats necessary to learn MAF. "They" said Everything is being released in a month with an r in it. I think most think September or October. I am thinking any "r" month next year or next decade.

Re: Longbow 08/21/2012 05:30 PM CDT
Ha! Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try.

Pathyn
Re: Longbow 08/21/2012 05:56 PM CDT

As far as I know, all scroll reading/studying is now based on Arcana instead of Scholarship. So I'd suggest if you're going the CJ route, opt for Arcana.
Re: Longbow 08/21/2012 08:15 PM CDT
Scroll reading is based on arcana.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance