my ranger is kinda messed up 09/18/2010 04:14 PM CDT
I haven't really played him much since '98 or so. He was my first DR PC. I come back every know and then for a few months and I'd like to start playing him again. Currently he is 31st circle but I guess requirements have changed because I don't have enough skinning for 27th anymore.

Anyway:

Parry Ability: 104 01% clear
Multi Opponent: 72 78% clear
Heavy Edged: 125 03% clear
Long Bow: 79 13.24% clear
Long Bow: 79 13.24% clear
Evasion: 131 60.71% clear
Skinning: 113 12.60% clear

so the biggest thing is my Mutli. I always hunted via hiding and shooting or one on one. So I may need to bring that up.

Oh yeah:

Strength : 25 Reflex : 23
Agility : 23 Charisma : 14
Discipline : 17 Wisdom : 21
Intelligence : 20 Stamina : 17

Concentration : 98 Max : 98

Favors : 3
TDPs : 51
Encumbrance : Light Burden

I don't hunt with an encumbrance.
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 09/18/2010 04:20 PM CDT
Yes, a lot of reqs have changed- Including the Ranger ones. Use Hunt: That will work your stealths well.

You may want to use snowbeasts or blood wolves for stealth, and for multi and skinning. Get a hold of a well-balanced blade to help with parrying too. There are a number of good weaponsmiths who can fit a weapon to your strengths.

Consider raising stamina; I've been given to understand that fatigue will be more important in combat than it has been.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 09/18/2010 11:28 PM CDT
I'd honestly say go ahead and spend the time to backtrain a little and get shield up would just need to get it to 30-40 and you could go sit in sand sprites VERY easy to get it up to 90-100 range as well multi would go up while getting shield up. I can hook you up with a armworn buckler if you need one. For main stuff could use silver leucros as long as you are careful. Hit me up at my play.net addie if you need.
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 09/19/2010 12:32 PM CDT
>so the biggest thing is my Mutli.

Personally, you're character's biggest problem is lack of shield. Fix that and you'll probably have plenty of MO and Skinning.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 09/19/2010 02:50 PM CDT
Congrats for taking up your first "broken" character and working to fix him. My character I play is my first one, warts, bad training in the past and all. Follow the wise words of those who posted and when you use a circle calculator, make sure you use NEW ranger setting for Zairius's and just ranger for Olwydds--he already fixed the new reqs into his. Also, when using the calculators, on both, change arcana to magical devices and life magic to primary magic or else they won't calc. right. In case you forgot--good webs sites:

Elanthipedia.com Zairius.com and Olwydd.org

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky who howls a welcome back!
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 09/21/2010 05:13 PM CDT
Thanks all for the replies. Working shield now then on to sand sprites for multi + Shield until they reach the rest of my skills.

Figured I'd work up medium edge as well. It's hanging out in the 30's right now.
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 09/21/2010 07:57 PM CDT
I don't think you'll ever regret training shield.

Also, with all the combat and fatigue changes coming, it is probably a good thing to at least get ME to where it wouldn't be hard to switch to it as your primary weapon.

I've been keeping ME not too far behind 2HE/LB in case things go all pear-shaped. Never hurts to have options.

-pete
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 09/29/2010 04:08 PM CDT
50 Shield ranks down, 50 more to go. At least my MO is moving along with it now that I am in Sand Sprites. Soon I'll be hunting at level.
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 12/09/2010 09:20 AM CST
I've been playing a lot on my Necro and Moon Mage. But the Ranger is coming along just fine. He's even managed to circle once, and will soon circle again. I've accomplished that with a lot of foraging while I wait for shield skill to clear out. (Evasion and skinning were my highest survival skills, Foraging is now clearly ahead of everything) But I'm to the point where I'll need to start to move evasion and skinning again. Currently I am in bloodwolves, which teach longbow, and skinning. I can hunt snowbeast as well, but they don't teach evasion. Is there a critter that will teach shield and evasion at these levels? (I assume silver leucros, but would rather not make the trip.)

Defense
Evasion 133
Parry 104
Shield 90
Multi 90
hiding 112

Offense
Heavy Edge 126
Long bow 88
Medium Edged 75
Skinning 120

If not I'll stick out Bloodwolves and snowbeast until shield is in the 110ish.
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 12/09/2010 09:39 AM CST
With buffs, crocs maybe?
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 12/09/2010 12:25 PM CST
Vines and creepers really teach both really well for a relatively long time. At least they used to as I haven't been in that area for a long time. Go with a friend though.

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 12/09/2010 12:37 PM CST
Might want to try grave worms.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 12/13/2010 07:23 AM CST
<<With buffs, crocs maybe?>>

Crocs turned out to be perfect. I can lock skinning and keep evasion and shield moving, as well as longbow, ME, HE, hiding. Defensively I'm okay with two of them on me, three of them is a little iffy, so I just drop back and start picking them off from hiding with the bow.

Moved to Thorne city so I can also train swimming. (Marsh doesn't teach.) Down side is it doesn't seem to bonus friendly. Upside is I can stop in river Caiman for 15 minutes or so and just lock out shield.
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 12/13/2010 07:56 AM CST
Not sure what your swimming is but if it's 120 or over you can swim the Faldesu which right next to crocs. And even if you can't make it all the way across, you can train in the few rooms if you're careful.

The march itself is slightly familiar I believe the pacing message gives so it's not full wilderness and neither is the Faldesu.
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 12/13/2010 07:41 PM CST
Be careful if you stay in crocs too long. There are blood worms that love to suck you dry. The thing is, with very low first aid, you can't even LOOK for wounds. So just to be sure, after you get out of crocs, have an empath check you for damage ok? And you will notice if the blood worms have attached to you because you feel tired and your vitality starts dropping.

Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 12/13/2010 08:27 PM CST
As long as you wear armor covering all possible places to get a bleeder, you won't get a blood worm on you. GM Dart made that update a while back.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Green_blood_worm
Re: my ranger is kinda messed up 12/14/2010 12:47 PM CST
Oh thanks for the update then. Too bad, though, as I kind of liked the danger. But then I'm strange that way. Guess if I want first aid training in crocs I could go naked. ::ponders::