I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/19/2010 08:30 AM CDT
I have a Halfling Ranger level 40.

I would like suggestions on what to hunt and how I should approach stat training. I'm currently hunting in langen. For stats I want to push reflex and agi to 50 by 50th Or work it more exclusively for maybe the next 20-35 levels.

Strength : 30 Reflex : 40 +
Agility : 39 Charisma : 30
Discipline : 30 Wisdom : 30
Intelligence : 30 Stamina : 30

Shield Usage: 110 22% concentrating (9/34) Leather Armor: 132 95% learning (3/34)
Light Chain: 82 99% dabbling (1/34) Heavy Chain: 87 34% dabbling (1/34)
Light Plate: 5 35% clear (0/34) Heavy Plate: 6 02% clear (0/34)
Parry Ability: 104 93% concentrating (9/34) Multi Opponent: 144 85% perusing (2/34)
Light Edged: 131 55% clear (0/34) Medium Edged: 132 94% clear (0/34)
Heavy Edged: 69 54% clear (0/34) Twohanded Edged: 126 38% clear (0/34)
Light Blunt: 0 14% clear (0/34) Medium Blunt: 108 99% dabbling (1/34)
Heavy Blunt: 0 04% clear (0/34) Short Bow: 75 39% clear (0/34)
Long Bow: 70 16% clear (0/34) Light Crossbow: 65 00% clear (0/34)
Heavy Crossbow: 47 91% clear (0/34) Quarter Staff: 7 65% clear (0/34)
Light Thrown: 89 84% thoughtful (4/34) Heavy Thrown: 74 91% clear (0/34)
Brawling: 84 97% clear (0/34) Offhand Weapon: 101 80% learning (3/34)
Life Magic: 342 55% learning (3/34) Harness Ability: 375 55% ruminating (8/34)
Power Perceive: 470 92% intrigued (16/34) Arcana: 326 77% thoughtful (4/34)
Targeted Magic: 124 67% clear (0/34) Evasion: 146 32% dabbling (1/34)
Climbing: 333 48% clear (0/34) Perception: 405 57% clear (0/34)
Scouting: 519 56% clear (0/34) Hiding: 154 21% clear (0/34)
Lockpicking: 44 39% clear (0/34) Disarm Traps: 38 90% clear (0/34)
Stalking: 171 77% clear (0/34) Stealing: 40 94% clear (0/34)
First Aid: 649 76% clear (0/34) Foraging: 294 43% clear (0/34)
Escaping: 51 37% clear (0/34) Skinning: 138 48% clear (0/34)
Swimming: 281 97% clear (0/34) Scholarship: 270 08% clear (0/34)
Mechanical Lore: 297 64% clear (0/34) Appraisal: 311 04% clear (0/34)
Teaching: 137 95% clear (0/34) Animal Lore: 45 03% clear (0/34)
Vocals: 445 47% clear (0/34)

Any help would be appreciated. If you have a longer suggestion that would be easier to contact me directly. You can IM me on AIM at my play dot net name + DR.

I hate that google index's these boards at times. So emails and other contact info shouldn't be posted.
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/19/2010 11:30 AM CDT
Wow that's an...interesting set of ranks.

It's been a while for me, but if I remember correctly you're almost at the point where you can hit Snow Goblins and ride them to victory for quite some time. I'm noticing your non-survival defenses are starting to lag behind your weapons a bit though. Now this is mainly my way of training (so take it for what you will), but I always say keep parry and shield on par with your weapons, and that way of training has yet to steer me wrong.

Hunting wise you can probably go Snowbeasts>Snobs

If you want to stay closer to the mainland (being it doesn't appear you're working your box skills, this may be easier for you) you can also go Snowbeasts>GBLs. I did Vipers inbetween Snowbeasts and GBLs as well, but make sure you have decent shield skill. After GBLs it'll most likely be off to Caracals or Baby Gryphons for you (although you might have to milk GBLs if you want to go straight to Gryphons, you may have to snag a few more ranks in Caracals before them). Again though, get shield and parry up.

Stats wise you seem to have a pretty good plan, as really you can't go wrong training reflex and agility at the moment, especially as a Halfling. I'm a big advocate of Discipline, especially since you seem to keep your TM up near your weapons (along with the multitude of other great things it does) so think about dropping a few points in there as well. I'm not sure how much things will change with the new possible combat system, but 30 strength and stamina served me well for a very long time.

Oh, and train a bow!
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/19/2010 11:33 AM CDT
Personally I think you're wasting time training all bows and both throwns. I dropped comp bow awhile back but that's neither here nor there. I dropped long bow, which is lower than my SB, after the exp merge was announced. Just takes too much time and I'm not going to get that many ranks from it when they all 3 get merged together. IMO your time would be better spent training just one bow and one thrown ect ect
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/19/2010 01:15 PM CDT
<<It's been a while for me, but if I remember correctly you're almost at the point where you can hit Snow Goblins and ride them to victory for quite some time. I'm noticing your non-survival defenses are starting to lag behind your weapons a bit though. Now this is mainly my way of training (so take it for what you will), but I always say keep parry and shield on par with your weapons, and that way of training has yet to steer me wrong.

The lagg in defense is cause of blood wolves they teach a bit higher weapons than defense, since i'm capping weapons in vines/creepers defense can pick back up.

But I agree with the parry/shield portion. The lower ranks seem to have a bit of jumping around.

<<Hunting wise you can probably go Snowbeasts>Snobs

Shard side gondola or leth side gondola? Meaning would I be safe in the gargoyle snowbeast area?

<<Stats wise you seem to have a pretty good plan, as really you can't go wrong training reflex and agility at the moment, especially as a Halfling. I'm a big advocate of Discipline, especially since you seem to keep your TM up near your weapons (along with the multitude of other great things it does) so think about dropping a few points in there as well. I'm not sure how much things will change with the new possible combat system, but 30 strength and stamina served me well for a very long time.

yeah the combat changes have taken me a bit off course. I am multi training for tdps. But with combinations coming up, i'm still sure that training more is better than not. I'll take it to heart on disc since I keep hearing it helps with hiding/stalking. But as teh ranks grow it'll be far easier to pump the stats up.

TY, Themoonie.
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/19/2010 01:21 PM CDT
<<Personally I think you're wasting time training all bows and both throwns. I dropped comp bow awhile back but that's neither here nor there. I dropped long bow, which is lower than my SB, after the exp merge was announced. Just takes too much time and I'm not going to get that many ranks from it when they all 3 get merged together. IMO your time would be better spent training just one bow and one thrown ect ect

hmmm I understand where you come from that. However, the reason why i multi train so much is because i have almost 0 reason to do anything out of combat now. The only "weak" survival I have that can't be trained in combat is swimming/climbing. So I set a limit to allow things to drain fully to make worthwhile to train again. I need roughly 10 or so weapons to really work right now. In the future that may drop down to less weapons. But for now if I want to stay in combat more weapons = gooder.
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/19/2010 01:49 PM CDT
Keeping in mind that your mileage may vary from mine, you may want to try the Leth-side snowies and see how they feel to you. The gargoyles, IIRC, aren't much harder- but they have annoying special attacks and a habit of charging out of combat, and are very hard on weapons.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/19/2010 02:12 PM CDT
I would go with the young brocket deer near Siksraja. They swarm constantly and will help you catch up on your ranged weapons and bring shield and parry closer to your evasion.
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/19/2010 03:32 PM CDT
Where is Siksraja?
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/19/2010 03:40 PM CDT
Snowbeasts, north side of the gondola near Leth, is one of my favorite hunting areas. You SHOULD be able to dance with 1 or two without too much damage. I think you'd do well there.

-Ranger Rhicter
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/21/2010 04:17 AM CDT
>>Where is Siksraja?

Head west from the bin in Lang and just keep following the road until you find a fence. It will be a very long road. Climb the fence to get into the deer area. The tiers of deer are divided into three sections from weakest to strongest, with an obstacle to climb to reach each tier.
Re: I'd love some advice on where to hunt and what to train. 07/21/2010 07:20 AM CDT
Sweet. Thank you.