Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 12:32 PM CDT
"Sharing rooms does not work out well for a variety of reasons."

Actually I think it works far better now than it ever did before. I just usually don't take the time to ask hunters, because frankly so many here on the boards seem to think actually asking a hunter a question is always some snoop checking to see if they are AFK. So unless I know the person(and often even then), I don't bother to ask.

But when it works right, it works great. First of all I can get teaching experience in combat. Second the generation tends to increase, meaning my AOE has some real purpose. And I still tend to get 'almost' as much defense training- but thats okay because I can always lock defenses, but getting teaching while hunting is a very nice bonus. And certainly is more fun. I have shared a room several times a week recently and its always worked well....well except for those that PFE fades that I don't notice....

Anyway, not that there aren't challenges to sharing a room, but certainly doable, and I personally enjoy socializing while hunting sometimes.

"I refuse to believe people actually die in gryphons"

I probably resurrect at least 2-3 a week. Probably in most cases severly overhunting but it happens.
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 12:57 PM CDT
Group hunting works ok if you're playing manually or with really simple scripts. It tends to interfere with more complex scripts, which is what many people seem to take issue with.

There are still issues though. When a creature bleeds out, you need to assess to figure out who killed it. Little things like that. Also you can't teach TM in combat. Combatbrief can be useful to help eliminate the scroll.

If you aren't in a high gen area like gryphons though, group hunting means less killing. No one wants that.
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 01:12 PM CDT
>I refuse to believe people actually die in gryphons
I made someone die in gryphons once. I also recall you making someone die in gryphons. So obviously people do actually die in gryphons.
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 01:18 PM CDT
>I made someone die in gryphons once. I also recall you making someone die in gryphons. So obviously people do actually die in gryphons.

I made 2 people die in gryphons so nyah.
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 01:27 PM CDT
ok, I refuse to believe people die in gryphons to actual gryphons ok?

~Arwinia

http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target262.html
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 03:13 PM CDT
<<Sharing rooms does not work out well for a variety of reasons.

If you are an AOE caster, perhaps not... However, I was back training in leucros a few days ago, with 2 AFKers in the room, and I didnt have a problem killing their stuff, and keeping my weapons locked, with a constant supply of critters. I never once felt the need to be social either. :-D

Falker
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 03:25 PM CDT
<<It tends to interfere with more complex scripts, which is what many people seem to take issue with.

Being from TF, and knowing your scripting ability, I never thought I'd hear this from you. If it interferes with a "complex" script, then I'd argue that the script isnt complex enough.

I even know of many cases where a person was scripting two characters hunting in the same room both with very complex scripts. Shalade and his moonie comes to mind as well as Xalanthus and an empath in bristle peccs for a long time.

So, I wouldnt say this is a problem in group hunting. Not directed at you, but I think the real problem with group hunting is that people have been hunting alone for so long, they really dont know HOW to do it, so they think it isnt possible.

People that say it can only be done by hand either dont use Genie, or dont know how to write complex scripts or are too lazy to do it. Anything that can be done by hand can be scripted.

Falker
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 03:58 PM CDT
The real problem with group hunting is that it's downsides usually outweigh the upsides unless you're in a very high spawn area, in which case the "new" engagement cap of 4 makes it somewhat viable, but again - only in very high spawn areas.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 04:00 PM CDT
I think what he was saying is that it can be done, but unless your script is already set up for it, it can screw up your script and cause problems.

Group hunting happens so rarely that almost no one is going to have their uber-doom-hunting-script already set up for it.

Hunting with a mule Empath is an entirely different situation and shouldn't really come into this discussion. Scripting group hunting, when you're controlling both characters, is orders of magnitude easier than scripting it with some random guy whose actions are going to be unpredictable.

-- Player of Szrael --

Professional Healers Association Fee Calcs: http://empathunion.com (G3 script and web calc links in the sidebar.)

PHA Crossing Healing spot: east, north, go backdoor from Empath guild. (Try gwething if no one is there!)
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 04:10 PM CDT
Not to mention it entirely eliminates the possibility of certain guilds utilizing their disablers.
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 04:21 PM CDT
<<but unless your script is already set up for it, it can screw up your script and cause problems.

Well, if this was the case, lots of people's scripts would snag if you suddenly went in and started hunting in their room, right? I've invited myself to hunt in unresponsive people's room before, and for some reason, my hunting never seemed to be a problem for their script, no matter what I did. They do make good spawn generators though.

I wonder if it's mech abuse to use an AFK scripter as a source of creature generation. Hrm...

Falker
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 04:40 PM CDT
>>Hunting with a mule Empath is an entirely different situation and shouldn't really come into this discussion.

Never said it was a mule Empath. Its actually Zaeylor. At least when I was still hunting around Crossing.

- Sword of Faith Korsik Rippentropp, Most Noble Paladine

Crusader against the Innocent
Defender of All That is Wrong

Trinean says, "He's tougher than Dametri."
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 04:57 PM CDT
>>Well, if this was the case, lots of people's scripts would snag

I can say that it would cause problems for my script, but you wouldn't be able to tell just by watching what I was doing.

>> Never said it was a mule Empath. Its actually Zaeylor. At least when I was still hunting around Crossing.

I was mainly referring to Falkonis's example of Xalanthus and his mule Empath.

-- Player of Szrael --

Professional Healers Association Fee Calcs: http://empathunion.com (G3 script and web calc links in the sidebar.)

PHA Crossing Healing spot: east, north, go backdoor from Empath guild. (Try gwething if no one is there!)
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 05:32 PM CDT
>Well, if this was the case, lots of people's scripts would snag if you suddenly went in and started hunting in their room, right?

Not necessarily. Mine for example would just go right on killing and skinning and looting my own kills, until there are no more critters, and then leave the room to find more.

It might snag a little if we killed something at the same time and it tried to loot/skin your kill, with the annoying mechanics associated with that. Fairly confident it'd just keep right on plugging away though, since there are catches for extraneous rt.

Multiple people dancing with critters would work for my rangers script.. not clerics though, since he'd keep killing all the critters above the 3rd (assuming multi is locked, it's above 4th if it's not).
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 05:35 PM CDT
>>I was mainly referring to Falkonis's example of Xalanthus and his mule Empath.

Oh, nevermind then. <3

- Sword of Faith Korsik Rippentropp, Most Noble Paladine

Crusader against the Innocent
Defender of All That is Wrong

Trinean says, "He's tougher than Dametri."
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 05:52 PM CDT
>I think what he was saying is that it can be done, but unless your script is already set up for it, it can screw up your script and cause problems.

Yes, this. Like, if you killed based on monstercount. Which most people do since assessing takes a command and count creatures takes RT.
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 08:25 PM CDT
It's actually purty easy to write hunt'n scripts that don't get bothered by other people hunt'n in the room. this is what happens when you're wife only likes to socialize when killing stuff

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 08:40 PM CDT
>It's actually purty easy to write hunt'n scripts that don't get bothered by other people hunt'n in the room. this is what happens when you're wife only likes to socialize when killing stuff

My main point is, some of the most effective techniques only work if you're alone. So in general, a good script won't work nicely if you aren't alone, unless it was explicitly written for that purpose.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page