Prev_page Previous 1
After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 04:26 AM CDT
Wanted to post and get some advice from older Rangers. Starting to cap out Young Gryphons in Shard and am wanting to prepare my next move. e.g scripts and such.. Was curious as to where other Rangers went after here. Any advice or info about your experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left"
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 09:07 AM CDT
I'm in basilisks/shadow beasts right now. Some people have told me to try Celpeze but I cannot yet handle them and the islands are a pain without your own boat (IMO).

You may also want to consider Dancers in Shard, the drawback is that they drag their dead away taking your arrows with it. There's also the older gryphons in Rossman if you can deal with the knock down/stun special attacks
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 09:08 AM CDT
>>Some people have told me to try Celpeze but I cannot yet handle them and the islands are a pain without your own boat

Aren't they also in town?

~Arwinia

http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target262.html
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 09:55 AM CDT
>Aren't they also in town?

I think the mid-level celps in the water with bloodfish are in an area that's at least neutral. However, water fighting...
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 11:20 AM CDT
I'm really desperately trying to find someplace to go after young gryphons, but it looks like celps or nothing. I tried shals but my lower melee weapons can't kill all the purifiers that keep spawning, not to mention training parry in there sucked. I tried polo this weekend and did alright, but damn that inviso thing is buggy (and man is it dead out there). Boars would be great, but the axe goblins make them un-huntable with my ranks. Hawks taught very well, until I got hit with that stupid/overpowered special attack they do. So yea, script island it is :(

Dear GM's
Please please PLEASE 1) make rider-less shals (in the pens) 2) riderless boars 3) town down the hawk special attack. Your friend , Hanryu

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 11:29 AM CDT
apes? malchata?

~Arwinia

Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 11:51 AM CDT
Seordmaors - sky giants?
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 12:49 PM CDT
Try the undead outside Shard or Therenborough.

I found sky giant's parry hard to get past, seords and that lightning makes long term hunting pretty tough, and if the hawk special attack bothered you Malchata will bother you as well.

Apes are probably your best bet, they don't break weapons as easily anymore.
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 12:54 PM CDT
Storm bulls would probably work too provided you have an ES
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 01:22 PM CDT
>>Some people have told me to try Celpeze but I cannot yet handle them and the islands are a pain without your own boat

>Aren't they also in town?

Have any rangers confirmed this? There were 6 rooms before in the south barricade that were ranger friendly when I hunted there. And I was kind of hoping after Z made it so a single room could be thief/ranger friendly that maybe it got expanded.
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 01:44 PM CDT
>apes? malchata?

If you're asking me, I couldn't damage them constantly with my lower melee weapons (only 350 halberd). And the ape bones were no picnic with I tried to train bow or parry.

>Seordmaors - sky giants?

Trying these next weekend :)

>Storm bulls would probably work too provided you have an ES

Great example of a potentially awesome critter ruined by crappy mechanics :'( I do have an ES scroll though so I might try that.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 03:00 PM CDT
<<hawk special attack bothered you Malchata will bother you as well.

Hawks are much more annoying.

Falker
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 03:09 PM CDT
<<hawk special attack bothered you Malchata will bother you as well.
>Hawks are much more annoying.

This. With ~90 effective reflex and 55 stamina I never got hit by the chata sand attacks. I hawk attack left me with 2 broken legs :(

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: After Gryphons... 09/29/2009 07:06 PM CDT
Might be tough to get through a sky giant's parry with 350 in your lower weapons.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: After Gryphons... 09/30/2009 12:23 AM CDT
>>apes? malchata?
apes and I are a stalemate. I can't hit them and they can't hit me, at least until there are 4 then they win.

Last time I was in malchatas I got taken out very quickly.

>>Seordmaors - sky giants?
Seords electrical attacks are nasty, too nasty IMO

haven't tried sky giants

>>Aren't they also in town?
I was just there and I am almost positive it's a town area. I have been told 7 rooms are Ranger friendly and I've also been told the whole celp area is neutral wilderness. I still wound up sounding like a cow when I was done.
Re: After Gryphons... 09/30/2009 02:07 AM CDT
I'm in this same group.

Over the weekend I tested out basilisks/shadow beasts. Overall the basilisks were good for everything, however shadow beasts were trouble melee-wise. Shadow beasts were no problem at all with ranged. I could dance with 4 basilisks, though I think I only ever got 2 shadow beasts on me. With 2 basilisks and 2 shadow beasts I was taking some hits mixing leather/bone, bone armor in the 150's.

360's longbow, ~325 HE, ~300 brawling, ~275 LE.
45 strength, 60 agility, 60 reflex
~425 evasion, ~360's in defenses (shield, parry, multi), 390's leather, 150's bone

Speaking to another Ranger he suggested ~400 in melee weapons for shadow beasts. I loath leaving Ilithi, though now that we can swim the Selgotha it's not as big of a deal. Getting into the swamp is a pain though.

- Saracus
Re: After Gryphons... 09/30/2009 09:47 AM CDT
>360's longbow, ~325 HE, ~300 brawling, ~275 LE.
>45 strength, 60 agility, 60 reflex
>~425 evasion, ~360's in defenses (shield, parry, multi), 390's leather, 150's bone

Those are good numbers for brislte-back peccaries. They should teach to about 430 in weapons though it slows pretty good after 410. Defenses seemed to really slow down there around 475.

With 60/60 and guessing at least 300 multi you shouldn't have a problem dancing with 4, which is really when defense learning kicks in. And you can train weapons from 250-400 pretty easy.

The trouble I'm having is finding something in the 500-mid 600 range that won't pwnt me with some special attack and still teach the lower weapons in the 300's I'm bringing up. That pretty much means celps but bonus and lack of EM with water fighting is well..yea.

I've heard kresh celps are all neutral, the town is all negative and only the depart/altar spot is positive. Going to head there in a day or so to test this out again for everyone.

Arrow A
Re: After Gryphons... 09/30/2009 11:27 AM CDT
>The trouble I'm having is finding something in the 500-mid 600 range that won't pwnt me with some special attack and still teach the lower weapons in the 300's I'm bringing up.

That last requirement is the toughie. Dance with apes, trail to gryphons? Hah.

I agree with the bristle (or gryphons?) for the other guy. Cleric was able to lock multi with ease till about 369 with 3, soon as I hit 370 became super slow and switched to 4 peccaries.

With 425 evasion though, probably going to have to start with 4 right off the bat. Always the biggest problem I have as a ranger is how well evasion keeps way ahead.
Re: After Gryphons... 10/05/2009 12:20 AM CDT
>>Those are good numbers for brislte-back peccaries. They should teach to about 430 in weapons though it slows pretty good after 410. Defenses seemed to really slow down there around 475.

I tried these out today and I'm a bit confused. They seemed to teach much much slower than gryhons. I have defenses in the ~370's range, excluding evasion which is in the 430's, and dancing with 4 took forever to lock even parry. Evasion barley moved. My HE did alright (in the 330's), but gryphons still seem to teach defenses much better. Maybe I've just been spoiled with gryphons ...

- Saracus
Re: After Gryphons... 10/05/2009 08:21 AM CDT
I couldn't get 4 weapons (350 to 380) to move past 5/34 after about 15 minutes of hunting bristle peccs. Takes about 20 minutes to go +11 with those same weapons in y./f. gryphons. It's the constant stream of gryphons that does the trick I think. Oh if only every critter spawned half as well as gryphons.

Please up the spawn in polos please.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: After Gryphons... 10/05/2009 09:33 AM CDT
Tested Kresh for Celps. Locks everything well from 300-600, even does evasion over 600. Wouldn't try them unless you have at least 350 multi and 400+ defenses, maybe 350 shield.

The skinny on the area. All of the town is Negative. All of the Celp area is Neutral. The tower in the gardens is Neutral. The only positive room is the stones in the garden aka depart/altar room. Fairly O.K. mana in the altar room if you sit there to recharge the bonus during down time from the neutral celps rooms plus get EM up since you can't cast it in celps.

I can't find much to climb in the area and the swimming is fairly bunk. Both Kresh and Ratha celps are fairly crap areas for Rangers but the critters are a great stepping stone.

WTB: Celps on riss instead of kresh, kthx.

Arrow A
Re: After Gryphons... 10/05/2009 09:42 AM CDT
Gryphons will teach easily to 450 - 500

~Arwinia

Re: After Gryphons... 10/05/2009 07:22 PM CDT
Which gryphons? The ones between Shard and Raven's Point don't. I'm not even up to 450 yet and the training is painfully slow.
Re: After Gryphons... 10/05/2009 09:46 PM CDT
The gryphons hunting area near Rossman's will teach from around 250-650 ranks if you hunt from fledgling to elders.

GENT
Re: After Gryphons... 10/06/2009 07:02 AM CDT
>The gryphons hunting area near Rossman's will teach from around 250-650 ranks if you hunt from fledgling to elders.

I hunted fledglings with under 200 in offense and low 200's in defenses just fine as long as I kept buffs up.

Granted not everyone can cap or nearly cap buffs when they have combats at or around 200...

-pete
Re: After Gryphons... 10/06/2009 08:13 AM CDT
Could someone give a rundown on the whole gryphon subject?

What types of gryphons are there and where can each be found? What's the "rough" skill progression?

I heard there is a very small (3 rooms) section of the hunting area in Rossman's where only the smaller gryphons spawn. How hard is it to find one of the rooms available to hunt in?

Thanks...
Re: After Gryphons... 10/06/2009 08:24 AM CDT
>>How hard is it to find one of the rooms available to hunt in?

Very

The young area is 4 rooms and will take you to 450 - 500 ranks easily, they also pay amazingly well and teach skinning. To sum it up: if you get a room you'll never want to leave, not for any reason except you may spend hours waiting for another.

~Arwinia

Re: After Gryphons... 10/06/2009 02:41 PM CDT
>>I hunted fledglings with under 200 in offense and low 200's in defenses just fine as long as I kept buffs up.

Yeah I wasn't too sure on the low end since I didn't even begin hunting them until a few months ago, with all the stats and skills of a 2+ year old 150th Bard.

GENT
Re: After Gryphons... 10/06/2009 02:47 PM CDT
>>What types of gryphons are there and where can each be found? What's the "rough" skill progression?

I am speaking from my experiences in TF - so I really don't have anything to say about the gen, availability of rooms, etc.

There are a number of different spawn areas within the gryphon's hunting grounds. The areas are fairly small (about three rooms each) except for the highest two tiers.

baby/fledgling (~250-350)
fledgling/young (~350-450)
young/mature (~400-550)
mature/adult (~500-650)
mature/adult/elder*

The elders are pretty rough and were a challenge for me with 550+ defenses, offenses and capped enchantes. They might teach higher than 650, still not sure.

*Not sure if the elders can bleed into the other mature/adult area or not.

That is about all I can comment on that is relevant to Prime.

GENT
Re: After Gryphons... 10/06/2009 03:02 PM CDT
I'll check out youngs again next time I hunt there.

Last I checked they were only a step or two above what I can hunt, so the low-end on those is probably much lower too.

Note that I define what I can hunt by mobs that I can kill and don't beat me up too badly with SOP, near max SOTT, max EM, max STW, max HOL, and "brilliant" level MAF cast and hunting from stealth. Mobs I merely "train" on is anything I can dance in MO with and/or snap-cast HB on.

YMMV

-pete
Re: After Gryphons... 10/06/2009 09:23 PM CDT
>Last I checked they were only a step or two above what I can hunt, so the low-end on those is probably much lower too.

Young gryphons were rated as difficult/whatever is above difficult on appraisal at 204 in 2HE. They died easy enough, but got in a few good hits. I heavily used stealth as a tactic, since having two fledglings and a young resulted in escalating hits, where three fledglings is easily doable for me.

I'd say they are huntable with mid-200's in defenses with buffs, closer to 300 without. Probably around 215-220 offense will be a good range, since I was getting a lot of low-damage hits. I learn better on fledglings for sure.

-pete
Re: After Gryphons... 10/06/2009 10:05 PM CDT
<<if you get a room you'll never want to leave, not for any reason except you may spend hours waiting for another.

Or, people could learn to share a room. You'll actually find that the swarm is normally even better, and you can typically kill more, faster (even with two people killing them). Of course if you are trying to just dance all day this might not work as well, but sharing a room is an option many people must not really get.

Falker
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 05:00 AM CDT
I have slightly high stats for fledgeling/baby gryphons I'd imagine, but am able to kill them with 150ish HT, 175ish LT, and 230 longbow, but not 130s LE or QS.

Can kill youngs with the 230 as well.

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 06:38 AM CDT
>I have slightly high stats for fledgeling/baby gryphons I'd imagine, but am able to kill them with 150ish HT, 175ish LT, and 230 longbow, but not 130s LE or QS.

I haven't tried in a while, but 140ish in HE and LE were unable to hit the babies.

190ish in ME can kill the babies easily, fledglings from stealth.

I need to give them a try with TM again, too bad the mana sucks everywhere in the fledgling/baby section.

34 agl / 34 str / 34 disc if that matters.

-pete
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 08:48 AM CDT
>>Or, people could learn to share a room. You'll actually find that the swarm is normally even better, and you can typically kill more, faster (even with two people killing them). Of course if you are trying to just dance all day this might not work as well, but sharing a room is an option many people must not really get.

Or not like, I don't hunt to socialize and I'd prefer not having to worry about another person

~Arwinia

Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 09:37 AM CDT
Sharing rooms does not work out well for a variety of reasons.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 09:51 AM CDT
It works out great if you're a paladin sharing a room with an empath.

- Sword of Faith Korsik Rippentropp, Most Noble Paladine

Crusader against the Innocent
Defender of All That is Wrong

Trinean says, "He's tougher than Dametri."
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 09:51 AM CDT
i smell mech abuse

~Arwinia

Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 11:02 AM CDT
lol what I'm just talking about getting beat up and having an empath heal you over and over so said empath locks empathy and you don't die.

That's not mech abuse, that's training. :)

Do you know how hard it is to find a room that has both good holy and good life mana?

- Sword of Faith Korsik Rippentropp, Most Noble Paladine

Crusader against the Innocent
Defender of All That is Wrong

Trinean says, "He's tougher than Dametri."
Re: After Gryphons... 10/07/2009 11:03 AM CDT
I refuse to believe people actually die in gryphons

~Arwinia

Prev_page Previous 1