What To Hunt 10/02/2008 12:58 PM CDT
Evasion 550, Parry 430, Multi 340, Reflex 80. Where to best learn defenses?
Re: What To Hunt 10/02/2008 02:24 PM CDT
Malchata or resuscitants (although I don't know if that area is neutral). You're right near the soft cap for celpeze.
Re: What To Hunt 10/02/2008 03:57 PM CDT
>>You're right near the soft cap for celpeze.

Really? Thought softcap was at or beyond 600.. hmm.

Parry 120 behind evasion and multi 210 behind kinda hurts, ouch. Celpz are still awesome at 550/490/440 for me cept I hate celpz as a Ranger.

Sky giants are fun too, they seem somewhat doable at 550 evasion. Boxes but no skinning :/
Re: What To Hunt 10/02/2008 05:45 PM CDT
Polo

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: What To Hunt 10/02/2008 11:23 PM CDT
>Really? Thought softcap was at or beyond 600

At 570 my learning slowed dramatically.
Another What To Hunt Post (TM) 06/23/2009 09:25 AM CDT
I'm wanting to move on from Haven's Goblin Shamans here pretty soon, and would like to keep working on all that good rangerly stuff like lockpicking, disarming, skinning, hiding, stalking, etc. I nipped up to Lang to look into the kelpie area, but it's unsatisfying for a variety of reasons (low box drop rate, I hate dealing with the trash mobs, etc.). I'd appreciate any advice on where to go from here, and if there's a general site that lists a good rangerly critter chart, that'd be great.

Weapon's lagging the defenses a bit, but not too bad. I'm committing Ranger Heresy and not training a bow at the moment. I expect to be shot next time I walk into the guild tent.

Circle: 12
Showing all skills that you have skill in.
Shield Usage: 46 85% clear Leather Armor: 49 43% clear
Parry Ability: 41 17% clear Multi Opponent: 48 05% learning
Light Edged: 0 12% clear Medium Edged: 7 79% clear
Heavy Edged: 40 75% learning Twohanded Edged: 27 48% clear
Medium Blunt: 7 16% clear Twohanded Blunt: 0 18% clear
Long Bow: 12 24% clear Brawling: 0 11% clear
Primary Magic: 21 83% clear Harness Ability: 20 62% clear
Power Perceive: 27 38% thoughtful Magical Devices: 11 05% concentrating
Targeted Magic: 23 74% clear Evasion: 47 99% thoughtful
Climbing: 26 32% learning Perception: 49 14% clear
Scouting: 43 25% clear Hiding: 51 67% learning
Lockpicking: 31 95% clear Disarm Traps: 35 06% clear
Stalking: 50 95% learning First Aid: 9 84% clear
Foraging: 22 12% clear Escaping: 0 99% clear
Skinning: 48 83% learning Swimming: 35 73% mind lock
Scholarship: 21 38% clear Mechanical Lore: 32 76% thoughtful
Appraisal: 27 05% very muddled Teaching: 12 02% clear
Animal Lore: 0 99% clear Strings: 1 66% clear

Re: Another What To Hunt Post (TM) 06/23/2009 09:34 AM CDT
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Bestiary_Level_List

Good list to go by when trying to figure out what to hunt next.
Re: Another What To Hunt Post (TM) 06/23/2009 09:44 AM CDT
That's a great resource, thanks! I might try Faenrae Reavers next.
Re: Another What To Hunt Post (TM) 06/23/2009 04:15 PM CDT
Reavers will work, but you might get beat up a bit.

Could also try some Zoluren areas:

wood trolls/grendel area
water sprite/lipopod area
cougar area

These might help you up those defenses before going to reavers. If you do go to reavers, watch out. Hounds swarm, and its a strong possibility that you will have 3-4 critters in the room with you. From what I can see you are still roughly 10-20 ranks off from being able to hang at the mine. Also, there are undead all over the road to Dirge, so its really not the smartest place for an underskilled combatant.

My two cents.

Anyone who has lost track of time when using a computer knows the propensity to dream, the urge to make dreams come true and the tendency to miss lunch.
~Tim Berners-Lee
Re: Another What To Hunt Post (TM) 06/24/2009 11:11 PM CDT
Grass Eels.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Another What To Hunt Post (TM) 06/24/2009 11:30 PM CDT
Yeah, I'm grinding on grass eels now. I'm gonna try to get defenses into the mid-fifties before heading down to Reavers, traps to 40 at least, TM to 30, and main weapon to 45. Hopefully that, along with my leet skillz, will help me get by.
Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 12:49 PM CDT
Well, this one is probably a little strange, in that it's two fold.

33 Agility
33 Reflex
180 Longbow
150 Leather
195 Evasion
140 Parry
145 MO
180 Hiding (Have EM)
195 Stalking (Have SOTT)

Now, Leucros are starting to slow down on my evasion training, unless I consistently dance with 2(or 3, with SOP and SOTT up.)

Would it be appropriate for me to start moving up the ladder from leucros, or should I milk the leucros for a bit more before moving on?

The other issue is that I'm looking for a creature that's huntable by myself and my IG lass, a warrior mage.

Her skills are a bit higher than mine, around the 200-220 range (I think her ME is nearly 230)...

Is there some sort of critter that both of us could hunt effectively, without me being forced to rely on spells to stay alive? I don't mind spelling up a bit, but I'd like to avoid the 'Oh, SoP dropped, I'm dead' sort of moment.

Just kinda looking for something to hunt together, if possible. If there's nothing, well, I guess I'll have to play catchup awhile then, ya?

No Ranger Stands Alone.

MM2/SS, USN
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 12:50 PM CDT
ammendment-

leucros are slowing down unless I consistently dance with 3 (or 4 with SOP and SOTT up.)

No Ranger Stands Alone.

MM2/SS, USN
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 01:04 PM CDT
Not sure how they're slowing down for you, I used them past 220 defenses generally dancing w/2(moved to 3 when I could) and killing the 3rd(or 4th) or when defenses were locked.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 01:21 PM CDT
One or two dancing barely moves evasion (though leather and MO and parry move well [parry depending on stance used.]) The third moves me...ok? But getting a fourth leucro is exceptionally difficult. Very few rooms will spawn a fourth leucro, even over the deadfall. I end up getting more vipers than leucros.

No Ranger Stands Alone.

MM2/SS, USN
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 01:25 PM CDT
He just focuses on evasion learning for when to move on vs all defenses. You can push them past 230 in defenses dancing with 4 and you really need to sit in leucros and bring your multi up. IMO use multi as a key when to move on to the next when dancing with 3 slows down move on or sit and cap out 4 because after leucrs with 145 multi 2 of anything without spells up is going to chew you up. Everyones different but after black leucros you could do rock guardians, red leucros, dryads/nyads in P5 all depends on where you want to hunt more than anything.

Go for it:
http://gamalon.mybrute.com
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 01:26 PM CDT
I disagree that multi is that important, since he tends to hunt with his wife.
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 01:36 PM CDT
>>Very few rooms will spawn a fourth leucro, even over the deadfall. I end up getting more vipers than leucros.

When I hunted over the deadfall, I would kill off vipers so that I could focus on dancing with leucros. The spawn seemed a lot better down near the geni path with the traffic going there. Pretty good mana too IIRC.

Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 02:24 PM CDT
Mana sucks down there, now, since the storm. Heh

Ya, there's rarely many people going through, anymore. And I'd be willing to bet that 25-30% of those that do pass are AFK anyway. That's neither here nor there.

No Ranger Stands Alone.

MM2/SS, USN
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 02:45 PM CDT
the one area I think you both could train would be Lang using peccs/trolls/fens since they teach in a wide range too but with your multi you'd have to becareful
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 03:48 PM CDT
I agree about Lang being your best bet. I trained a bit of multi there. Just watch out for swarms and for the shield-packing trolls. You should even be good for a fendryad or MAYBE two- but don't stick around for more than that.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 06:02 PM CDT
After leucros i moved to Aesry to hunt nipoh oshu.

There's 3 different levels of them. You can easily hunt the easier ones and you'll do ok in the medium ones.

They swarm good and train defenses like crazy. I mean, crazy.

PROS: They're the best combat teachers i've ever tried. Aesry has other creatures for skinning, boxes and escaping training at your level.

CONS: They're in a dark cave and cannot be skinned.

They are the perfect bridge from leucros to caracal. You'll miss the skinning but quickly (and safely) train everything else.
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 08:16 PM CDT
>>After leucros i moved to Aesry to hunt nipoh oshu.

In all of my time in DR I've never heard of those. Shows how much I get around. Probably only been to Aesry about 4 times.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 08:39 PM CDT
you could try bloodvines in hib, watchout for thorns though

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 08:45 PM CDT
Bloodvines for a swarming critter would round out your defenses or tresses which are a insane critter with stamina and will teach you stealths nicely too. Both of those are close together and tresses teach to around 220 with 4 and you can safely dance with 3
Re: Another What To Hunt 09/30/2009 08:53 PM CDT
Bloodvines rock, blight ogres are great for when you get past 200 but the giant ones wield 2HB and can sometimes ruin your day
Re: Another What To Hunt 10/01/2009 01:53 AM CDT
I personally went from black leucro's to peccs/trolls in Lang to red leucro's. I used la'tami to backtrain melee weapons and shield while hunting red leucro's. After that it was easy to transition to gryphon's. My climbing suffered a bit while staying in Lang, though the swimming isn't too bad near the housing area ... I believe it taught in the 200-300 range though it's been a while. You can easily make a quick jump to the crossing via trails though and train climbing there. If you decide to head to Ilithi afterwards, you're home free as far as swimming/climbing training goes (still going strong at 800+).

- Saracus
Re: Another What To Hunt 10/01/2009 05:09 AM CDT
Seems like the majority of the responses are pushing me towards the shard or Hib area.

Joy. Guess it's time to see what the lass has to say about that! Heh

No Ranger Stands Alone.

MM2/SS, USN
Re: Another What To Hunt 10/01/2009 01:33 PM CDT
Lang imo is your best bet overall as you could still both hunt together and train as its a range of 130ish to 270+ in peccs/trolls/fens and as long as you watch out for swarms and more than 2 of anything getting to meleee you'd be ok.
Re: Another What To Hunt 10/01/2009 03:18 PM CDT
I hunted red leucros before peccs/trolls. They die easy.

The difference may be that a) I am in Plat so reds don't gen very well and b) my defenses are 30-60 ranks above offenses and MO is my second highest defense and only 10 behind evasion. Took forever to get 3-4 reds on me to train MO/armor.

For your defenses, give la'tami a try and try out reds with the woman. You'll learn climbing like crazy in that area too.

-pete
Re: Another What To Hunt 10/01/2009 08:07 PM CDT
I went from leucros to la'tami/ SNOW GOBLINS!!!! ahhh how I miss snow goblins... but I think Lil peccs in lang would be a good thing to hunt too.

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Another What To Hunt 10/02/2009 10:18 AM CDT
>I went from leucros to la'tami/ SNOW GOBLINS!!!! ahhh how I miss snow goblins... but I think Lil peccs in lang would be a good thing to hunt too.

If your defenses are too low, the peccs will result in you being slowly beaten to a pulp in MO, even if they do teach really well due to their special attack. La'tami are a better choice for his defenses.

Aesry may be a good option with snoblins and la'tami, now that you mention it. I just never go there unless it is to see Marion or for a special group hunt.

-pete
Re: Another What To Hunt 10/02/2009 06:30 PM CDT
What about geni? Personally i went from black leucros to Geni to carcals to gryphons
Re: Another What To Hunt 10/03/2009 11:55 AM CDT
>>If you decide to head to Ilithi afterwards, you're home free as far as swimming/climbing training goes

I'm fighting Gryphons now with combat/defense skills in the low 300s. These are the baby/fledgeling ones. I assume I work my way up to the bigger ones over time.

When would be a good time to transition to Ilithi, and what kind of things should I start out hunting down there?

Just planning ahead. :)

Thanks much!
Re: Another What To Hunt 10/03/2009 10:38 PM CDT
I hunt fledglings just fine with low-mid 200's... I can handle 3 of them at melee without a problem with buffs up. With 300ish I'd suggest giving young gryphons a try...

-pete
Re: Another What To Hunt 01/04/2010 02:53 PM CST
Just head to Genis they teach really well after Leucros. Then from there go Gryphons. Then Bristles.
Re: Another What To Hunt 01/06/2010 01:43 PM CST
Black leucros to Red leucros then Genies or Gryphons is easier
Re: Another What To Hunt 01/06/2010 05:01 PM CST
Reds will definitely make the jump from blacks to geni smoother.

ICYI here's what I did after geni. It worked well since I wanted boxes and skinning and for the most part avoid parry gods in standard melee. Creatures in all caps are for boxes; bold is skinnable; small caps are melee combat:

1 ORCS - bristlebacks (or gryphons)
2 ORCS - warklins (past beisswurms)
3 KRA’HEI - celps (ratha)
4 DANCERS/WRAITHS - apes

The overlap in this ladder is very good. No rough jumps anywhere. With mundane shield damage turned off warklins are a perfect stepping stone now. Somehow I never got around to gryphons, but I know they're very popular.