Rangers in and out of town 01/25/2007 03:06 PM CST
Howdy,

Can anyone shed any light for me on the affects of being inside a city/town setting on a ranger? Are there actual negative effects, like slowly growing penalties that stay with them even after they leave the city? Or do they basically have a bonus outside the city and not at all inside the city and that's that?

Is there any technical game-mechanics type reason (not going into the RP side of things right now) that a ranger character would want to avoid lingering inside a city? If so, is there a time limit where they're okay and not receiving whatever the negatives are?

Thanks for all advice!
Re: Rangers in and out of town 01/25/2007 03:21 PM CST
If you spend too much time in a city then your bonus will go from positive to negative. This will continue to affect you even after you leave the city. It takes quite awhile to regain it as well (if it is completely tanked). I'm not sure on the amount of time, but I seem to remember it taking on the order of hours not minutes.

Range Master Dragamar, Recluse of Aesry Sulaenis'a
Brother Urio, Follower of Urrem'tier
Cadet Ltorilu, Up and Coming Paladin
Re: Rangers in and out of town 01/25/2007 03:24 PM CST
if you stay in town for an extended time, you end up not being able to find the trails for scouting <and i have 125 scouting, and you can start finding them at about 50, so thats at least a 75 rank penalty, maybe more <because higher folks will probably effected as well.

It also effects whether you can use the beseeches as well.

Schvartz in TF

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Rangers in and out of town 01/25/2007 03:35 PM CST
Okay, so the negative bonus hit is real after all and pretty drastic.

Can you share any estimates on what an 'extended time' might be before you really start tanking your bonus into the negative?

i.e. Do you literally have to hurry in and out of cities as fast as possible, or would it be okay to loiter around for 30 minutes or an hour if you feel like it with no noticeable damage done?

Lastly, is there a way to check your bonus? Like 'smirk self' for thieves works or something similar?
Re: Rangers in and out of town 01/25/2007 03:41 PM CST
The only way to check your bonus is to hide and howl. It will only tell you if your bonus is tanked or not tanked though. You will sound like a wolf if it is not tanked or a cow if it is. IIRC (been awhile since I loitered in town), you won't go into negative for 30 minutes to an hour, but you may notice a reduction in bonus. Especially for things like hiding, scouting and skinning

Re: Rangers in and out of town 01/25/2007 04:08 PM CST
Rangers used to tank their bonus to learn skinning as it made it near impossible to successfully skin a shipyard rat with a really bad bonus.

Anyone know if there is a lower limit on how bad we get? I can't remember if we ever heard a yes or a no.

Calissa's player
Re: Rangers in and out of town 01/25/2007 04:10 PM CST
I notice my bonus state when foraging, too. I use the foraging list of items by difficulty, and keep going down the list until I can forage something successfully. I have noticed that the longer I've been in town, the farther down the list I have to go. It also works the other way around, when I can't find items, I can tell how much my bonus may be tanked. I'm sure roundtimes change, too, but I haven't really sat down and recorded numbers. I'm pretty sure I could come up with an accurate "bonus state", just by testing which things I can forage and how long the roundtimes are.

Either that, or I don't know what I'm talking about, I seem to learn something new every week at least, and I've been at this since '99, off and on...
Re: Rangers in and out of town 01/25/2007 05:22 PM CST
What about those wolf, raccoon, and horse pins? Don't those check bonus to a degree?
Re: Rangers in and out of town 01/25/2007 06:34 PM CST
<<What about those wolf, raccoon, and horse pins? Don't those check bonus to a degree?

Yes they do. Of the three ways I know to test your bonus I'm pretty sure they all just give you a yes or no.

Hide and howl
Lirisa statue
Companion pin