Symbiosis stuff 09/13/2019 02:04 PM CDT
Heyo every one, I'm back and re-learning a bunch of stuff. But I'm at my wits end about symbiosis. I have read a lot of material but none ranger-specific--so here are my questions.

When do you use symbiosis?

Why would I want to prep a combination spell out of 2 of our ranger spell? Besides researching symbiosis cast, harness and prepare, how do I use this?

Regarding our spells and tert skill...is it even possible for us to make combo spells and when do we get the ability?

I just don't understand...do I symbiosis prep, harness and cast and THEN prep our spells? With my "excellent" magic skill that could take a half a day! Hello senseless death. : D

Any help would be appreciated.

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky (15th)
Re: Symbiosis stuff 09/13/2019 07:39 PM CDT
> When do you use symbiosis?

Before casting the spell. For example:

>prep bless 60

You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Bless spell. Casting rationality aside, you prepare to yoke unseen mana streams to fuel your sorcery.

You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.

>prep symb
You recall the exact details of the Harvest symbiosis, preparing to integrate it with the next spell you cast.

>cast
You gesture.
Familiar streams of magic blend with the weave of your Bless spell, and you sense an increase in your skinning ability.
A pure golden glow enwreathes your body.

> Why would I want to prep a combination spell out of 2 of our ranger spell? Besides researching symbiosis cast, harness and prepare, how do I use this?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You would want to use a symbiosis to increase the difficulty of a spell in order to extend its teaching range, or because you want the bonus that it gives (skinning in the above example).

>I just don't understand...do I symbiosis prep, harness and cast and THEN prep our spells? With my "excellent" magic skill that could take a half a day! Hello senseless death. : D

You don't harness or cast a symbiosis on its own. You prep a spell, prep a symbiosis, then cast the spell, which automatically incorporates the symbiosis.
Re: Symbiosis stuff 09/13/2019 07:58 PM CDT
<<> Why would I want to prep a combination spell out of 2 of our ranger spell?

I answered more in detail in your other thread, but I'll add that symbiosis doesn't combine two of your spells together. It adds an additional buff specific to the symbiosis you research to any Augmentation/Utility/Warding spell that you cast with a symbiosis.
Re: Symbiosis stuff 09/13/2019 08:55 PM CDT
Thank you both for answering...ok, I use the symbiosis to get a buff or make the spell harder to extend learning from it?

And when you say I prep a spell and prep a symbiosis, do I have to also prep a symbiosis harness and cast one too? How do I know which symbiosis I should use? I ask because I notice I can research symbiosis cast, harness and prep. If I research all three, does that mean then that to use symbiosis after that, I can just prep symbiosis like you said?

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky standing with her hand above her eyes watching the curtain of fog lift just a little bit.
Re: Symbiosis stuff 09/13/2019 09:07 PM CDT
<<do I have to also prep a symbiosis harness and cast one too?

No. It's just a modifier to the base spell you are casting. If you type "prepare symbiosis" any time before you type "cast" then that spell will be augmented by your currently researched symbiosis. It's just that one additional line that needs to be entered. You're not combining spells at all, but just adding one additional effect to whatever spell you are casting.

<<How do I know which symbiosis I should use?

You can see the full list of symbiosis options, which feats they need to be able to research them, and which buffs they add to spells here:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Magical_research#Options

For the ones you have, they all came from the Symbiotic Research feat and provide the following buffs:
SYMBIOSIS CAST - Primary Magic skill Boost
SYMBIOSIS HARNESS - Attunement skill Boost
SYMBIOSIS ACTIVATE - Arcana skill Boost

<<If I research all three

You can only have one symbiosis researched at a time. If you research a second one while already having one researched then it will just replace the one you had researched. There's nothing stopping you from researching it again each time you want to switch from one to another, but you can only have one type of symbiosis active at a time.
Re: Symbiosis stuff 09/14/2019 09:56 PM CDT
LCAMP2 thank you for being so specific and helpful. Wish the material I read were as specific and understandable. Someday we will have the ability to reach through the internet to give hugs...so for now...this will have to do.

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky who both gives you a big bear hug and Lucky gave you some sloppy wolf kisses. I have a towel in game if you need it so feel free to seek me out. :P