+Shield spell? 12/15/2018 12:38 PM CST
Hey Grejuva (or Magic GM),

As an armor secondary guild, will Rangers get a shield buffing spell? Barbarians and traders who are also armor secondary guild benefit from shield boosting skills.

Need help with spell fluff ideas?

Spell name: Armadillo Intuition

short name: ArI

Spell Type: Augementation

Spell prerequisites: 6 spells within Animal Abilities and Skein of Shadows.

Spell Effect: +20% to Shields when using a non-metal shield or in a wilderness positive room at Max spell prep. Otherwise just a 15% bonus to Shields when using a metal shield or in a non-wilderness room.

On non-metal shield use or wilderness room Cast:
You crouch behind your <shield item> gaining the reknowned intuition of an Armadillo. You move your shield as effortlessly as an Armadillo adjusts it's thick hide.

On metal-shield use or non-wilderness room Cast:
You feel as competent as the great armadillo in it's own skin when maneuvering your <shield item>.

Spell description:
When guild leaders are often asked about one of their most challenging hunts, they unanimously answer in a wistful sigh the famed armadillo. They describe in detail the armadillo's near inpenetrable defensive capabilities. This spell is more effective with shields made from natural items or when casted in a wild environment.

-Kivi, shield advocate
Re: +Shield spell? 12/18/2018 06:10 PM CST
Dislike the preference for non-metal shields. Most high-end (i.e., auction) shields I've run into are metal and I'd rather not build in a weakness when it isn't necessary to justify some overly powerful component of a spell.

[18:14] Chatter[Raesh] >perc nature
[18:15] Chatter[Raesh] You sense you should just howl.
Re: +Shield spell? 12/18/2018 10:35 PM CST
Heh, sorry I am a product of the Treveri-era where any ranger spell or ability needed some negative cost to justify development.

I meant to state that if the spell was cast in a wilderness room, a 20% buff is applied whether you had a metal or non-metal shield. With MON you should always be in a wilderness room.

Maybe the spell could have give +Defending too, say on a successful shield block. We don't have a buff for that as a combat guild. Make the spell 3 slots and have a minimum Utility skill requirement.

-Kivi
Re: +Shield spell? 12/19/2018 11:13 AM CST
While I would like a shield buff, I'm going to bang the, "Please stop making all our abilities based on a tert-set" drum yet again. I'm a huge fan of ranger magic, but it's time some cool stuff happened with our Beseeches and Scouting skill instead of PM and prep.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: +Shield spell? 12/19/2018 10:22 PM CST
<<Hanryu's post

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. I only mention spells as the current optics suggest spell creation/tweaks are the only form of Ranger Dev are spells: OATH, Awaken Forest, Deadfall (entry level change), Plague of Scavengers, and SK.

I'm not mad at the current Dev situation as I feel any Ranger Dev is good Dev. However, I will state I liked OATH; no real use for AF as I find BES or CS better held mana options; Deadfall is good for new fresh rangers; PLS same feelings as AF; SK have yet to form a solid opinion as I think it only benefits dual-loading with a Nisha shortbow and firing out in the open as the duration is too short. Now if SK allowed ammo to pierce one critter and hit another critter OR allow an additional arrow(s) to be loaded (say +1 arrow at 100th circle, +1 arrow at 150th, +1 arrow at 200) that is a different story and would make SK worth it.

-Kivi, two coppers
Re: +Shield spell? 12/20/2018 07:16 AM CST
Beseech the Oak to Protect? Or if you're not in a forested area, Stone?

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy