Back After a Long Sleep - Magic Question 06/06/2017 07:27 PM CDT
Hello All,

I just woke after a very long sleep, roughly four years, and need help with magic.

I understand the spell slots, and the new spells - but I don't understand the Spell Feats. Are they worth getting? I've got about 9 spell slots left, and learned a bunch of the spells already then realized there was some new messaging within the "Spells" command that I hadn't recognized before. So I did some research - now I am confused and bewildered.

Are there any Spell Feats really worth getting?

Also, if I got a spell I didn't like or is worthless - can one "unlearn" the spell?

-Rhicter
Re: Back After a Long Sleep - Magic Question 06/06/2017 08:32 PM CDT
>I understand the spell slots, and the new spells - but I don't understand the Spell Feats. Are they worth getting?

Some are definitely worth it.

Efficient harnessing makes your spells cost 10% less mana per cast so that's always a good thing - especially if you're in a poor life mana location.

Rangers have two cyclic spells in Bear Strength and Cheetah Swiftness. If you know these two spells, raw channeling is a good choice. Knowledge of raw channeling allows BES and CS (cyclic spells) to power directly from your mana pool. You won't have to harness any extra mana. Just cast the cyclic spell and do your thing. As long as you have mana in your mana pool your cyclics will stay up. Without knowledge of raw channeling you'd need to constantly harness mana to power the spell or use charged cambrinth. Efficient channeling magical feat makes cyclic pulses 10% cheaper so your cyclic spells cost less mana over time.

If you're interested in using non-life runestones or casting any non-life mana spells you'll want to pick up sorcerous patterns, magical theorist and improved memory magical feats so you can invoke 2 spell scrolls and mitigate some sorcerous backlash.

I personally like the cautious casting and cautious harnessing feats because I HATE nerve damage and sometimes I prep a spell and want a little extra time to cast it before I forget the spell i'm prepping. I don't know if I'd recommend these 2 feats for a Ranger necessarily.

Mastery feats allow you to cast a spell with less skill than you'd need otherwise and allow you to put more mana into your casts. I don't find that very useful myself as gaining more skill accomplishes the same thing, just a little later.

Deep attunement used to be pretty popular but mana regen was tweaked so it's an extremely minor bonus to your mana regen now.

Faster targetting/prepping only shaves 1 or 2 seconds off and normal latency usually makes this completely unnoticeable (unless you live in St. Louis I guess).

The remaining feats are kind of up to your personal taste and habits.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Magical_feats

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonrealms/comments/3dcn02/what_magic_feats_are_worth_it_and_which_are_bunk/

>Also, if I got a spell I didn't like or is worthless - can one "unlearn" the spell?

Yes, you can periodically (1 spell a rl month) forget any non-quest spell (Rangers don't have any quest spells so you're safe) in Throne City. Details below.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Spell_Library#Spell_Erasing

You didn't ask if you can forget magical feats you don't like but you can unlearn them as well from the magical feat trainers; inexpensively (a couple gold) and as often as you like without any limitations. This means you're free to experiment with all the magical feats to your heart's content.
Re: Back After a Long Sleep - Magic Question 06/06/2017 11:06 PM CDT
Most if it's been covered, just pointing out that you'll have a lot of spare slots as a ranger if you skip our terrible spell choices making feats a good investment. I get both efficiency feats, dedicated cambrinth and cyclic channeling against the hope that ever give us a really great cyclic to run.

Every ranger should take Improved memory sorcery or no, at the worst it's a straight upgrade in slots allowing you to store a 2 or three slot ranger spell for one slot, but most of the time it's helping you get amazing spells from the empath spell tree and goodies from the analogous patterns book.

If you overhunt or pvp injured casting is a solid investment for when you really need that spell to cast.