Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 12:00 PM CDT
Inspired by the Paladin thread, which I found rather interesting and useful, I'll ask Rangers the same thing:

What are your top five and bottom five Ranger spells and - if you're willing - why?

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 12:24 PM CDT
My Top 5:
- Instinct - Evasion buff is awesome.
- HOL - Dual loading.
- Branch Break - I like BB
- Athleticism - Useful for getting places my athleticism can't quite handle. Will likely fall out of top 5 once I don't need it anymore.
- Memory of Nature - Nice utility. For the times you want to hang out in town but don't want to start mooing right away. Can also use it to cast nature spells in places you otherwise might not be able to.

Would add most of the other combat buffs to a list of spells I like.

My Bottom 5:
- Awaken Forest - the one-hour time limitation, the requirement for high-nature rooms, the weakness of the spawn, the inability to control the spawn (i.e., can't tell it to attack/hang back, it attacks other PCs at random), and teaches virtually nothing. It's garbage and I've only ever cast it to see how it worked.
- Forestwalker's Boon - Like innocence but doesn't affect as many creatures, including some that it might should.

The rest of my bottom 5 could be any list of TM spells but that's mostly because I don't use them due to DR 1.0 training imbalances.

- Art
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 02:08 PM CDT
Top 5:
Instinct- Eveasion buff, very important
Claws of the cougar- melee weapon buff. combine brawling with weapon. awesome.
Curse of the wilds- opponent debuff, combine with cotc and you have a good combo.
Wisdom of the pack- wisdom buff, this helps a LOT with targeting spells and debilitation.
Skein of shadows- armor buff, combine this with cotw and cotc and you have a very nice combo.

Bottom 5:
Forestwalker boon-this will be on everyone's list
Awaken forest- this will be on everyone's list
Memory of Nature- currently pretty useless and hard to cast, this might change soon.
Carrion call- don't really need this many Targeted spells as a magic tert guild. Would rather have it replaced.
Devitalize- same as carrion call.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 02:26 PM CDT
I will preface this by saying that mana regeneration in it's current form is very punitive for Rangers and that means (for me at least) that I don't use magic in combat very often. It sounds like the changes rolled out in Test will ameliorate this issue, so I'm very optimistic that I'll find more utility in some of our debuff spells (particularly COTW).

Bottom:
EY - Unless critters start using magic in a way that is harmful to me, this spell has no use for me outside of training Warding. Maybe the barrier rewrite will give this a boost, but it's lack of utility lies mostly in the dearth of critters using offensive magic that I need to be concerned about.

AF - This is hands-down the most useless of any spell. It is too restrictive, it's effects are impotent, and it has a ridiculous cool-down. I don't know how this spell compares to QE, but maybe it should be more comparable in strength and restrictiveness? I would be in favor of this becoming a ritual or esoteric spell if that is what needs to happen to give it some teeth (or claws, heh).

FWB - Calm spells in general are not very useful in our combat system, but this one is especially unhelpful given its restrictions.

Devo - Stat and skill debuffs on critters are not very useful. Unless this changes, this spell will remain impotent.

WOTP - I might see the Discipline boost being useful if I really need the extra Stealth boost, but I cannot think of a situation where I would ever need a Tactics boost. Maybe this spell could have some special group functionality instead?

GRIZ - A metaspell that removes the knock-back would make me cast this much more often! Knock-back effects aren't helpful in general.

EC/CAC/DEVI - Our TM spells are all rather lackluster and the damage templates overlap. We don't really need that many TM spells to begin with. I only ever use STAMP, but that is because it is multi-shot and allows me to train TM on critters that are above my abilities.

Top:

Athleticism - I cast this spell the most, for training purposes. After 500 ranks or so you really don't need it (with a full bonus) to get around (I don't know of any useful areas that are travel-restricted beyond the undergondola climb). Despite that, it is an important spell.

HOL - love the LO boost. Skinning boosts are pretty lackluster given how ridiculous it is to learn Skinning these days.

MON - I'm putting this here because of the upcoming changes. Right now it isn't super useful, but I still use it because bonus management is a PITA.

EM - I really don't like the auto-hide effect and the RT it incurs. Stealth boosts are always helpful though!

SKS - I only put this here because I use it for training. Armor buffs aren't very helpful given the current state of the Armor skillset, but the stealth hindrance reduction is good.

STAMP - As stated above, I love this spell because I can train TM on critters I can't normally hit. I'm sure this will go away when multi-shots are re-evaluated though.

Thanks,
GENT
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 02:55 PM CDT
Top 5:

-Instinct/SotT: Great defensive spells for attacks and stealth.
-StW/CotC: Great offensive spells. The fact that we can't buff HT sucks, and not being able to replace CotC if it's still active is annoying, though.
-BB: I like the stun/sleep combo, quick access in the spellbook and low slot cost compared to other debils. Wish it would lose the wilderness check, though.
-HoL: Solid spell in itself, even better that it enables dual-loading.
-Stampede: Solid TM teacher and the only TM spell that stands out among the handful that we have.

Bottom 5:

-Awaken Forest: I don't have the spell and don't plan on picking it up. From what I've heard the spawn is near useless, and the timer for recasting is extremely long.
-Forestwalker's Boon: Another spell I don't plan to pick up. I don't see any reason I would want to calm a critter, and it seems that it is narrow in what it will even calm. I'd honestly rather have this be a spawn booster, or a new spell that increases spawn.
-Harawep's Bonds: Too many slots, immobilize allows the target to still do some actions (prepping/casting spells), and the re-trigger on escape has rarely worked for me. Another spell I wouldn't pick up if I didn't need it for Swarm.
-SkS: I'll start with I can only cast this ~50 mana so I may not be getting the full effect yet, and I may be spoiled by Dampen on my Thief, but it just doesn't seem very effective at dropping stealth hinderance with a mixed suit of armor on. I like that it buffs armor ranks, but we all know that doesn't mean a whole lot right now.
-EC/Devi/CaC: They're all single target. CaC stands out a little bit from the other two since it does fire damage and targets wounded areas, but it also loses damage because of it. The other two just seem like clones to me with different physical damage.
-Compost: This is a sixth one, but it's pretty much a useless spell that's just a quicker version of DUMP JUNK. It's only saving grace is it's the only way to train Utility early on, or without making yourself invisible.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 03:24 PM CDT
<< immobilize allows the target to still do some actions (prepping/casting spells),

This is untrue, at least in pve. Im pretty sure it functions exactly like a stun except without the balance hit and chance to lose a prepped spell.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 03:44 PM CDT
>>This is untrue, at least in pve. Im pretty sure it functions exactly like a stun except without the balance hit and chance to lose a prepped spell.

My statements weren't based purely on PvE. When it is cast on another PC it does not stop them from using magic. I know this from first-hand experience.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 04:07 PM CDT
>>>>This is untrue, at least in pve. Im pretty sure it functions exactly like a stun except without the balance hit and chance to lose a prepped spell.

>>My statements weren't based purely on PvE. When it is cast on another PC it does not stop them from using magic. I know this from first-hand experience.

I think Harawep doesn't immobilize, but web, which does allow people to prep/cast.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 04:25 PM CDT
<I think Harawep doesn't immobilize, but web, which does allow people to prep/cast.

Yeah, Immobilize doesn't allow any actions to be taken. Web is different, and I believe with a high enough level of success on web it will stop the preparing of spells. At least it used to.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 04:48 PM CDT
>>Yeah, Immobilize doesn't allow any actions to be taken. Web is different,

Mistakenly assumed they were the same effect.

>>and I believe with a high enough level of success on web it will stop the preparing of spells. At least it used to.

You can prep and cast, but can not target. That still allows disablers/buffs/other useful spells to be cast.

I still think that is a weak disabler in general and especially for a 4 slot spell. BB has the same stat contest, more potent effects, and costs half the slots.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 04:57 PM CDT
I would lobby for it having the auto topple effect, while always auto grabbing a second time on a successful cast.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 09:21 PM CDT

Top 6 (Most of our spells that are good combo well so top 5 is really a bit more)
Instinct - Evasion boost
SKS/EM - Allows me to train all armors + shield while keeping my stealth hinderance min.
HOL - Dual Load though second other opinions on Skinning
COTC - Melee boost
SWARM - Strictly for training debil there is nothing better

Bottom 5
Awaken Forest - Teaches nothing after casting, restrictiveness on casting it, recast timer, etc etc.
Boon - See others for same issues
Compost - This only great for low lvl training. I've yet to use this for anything other than when someone has left junk in a room.
All the TM spells but Stamp
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 11:53 PM CDT
<<Mistakenly assumed they were the same effect.

I didn't even know web was a separate effect either. I think that spell is the only one with that effect?

<<I still think that is a weak disabler in general and especially for a 4 slot spell. BB has the same stat contest, more potent effects, and costs half the slots.

The good news here is that multi-slot debilitation spells are getting a slot discount in the upcoming magic changes going by the changes so far on the test server.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 03/31/2016 11:55 PM CDT
Shadow Web used to web, too. RIP Shadow Web.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/01/2016 08:40 PM CDT
Top 5 in no particular order:

1) HOL--dual load is awesome and +locks is only slightly behind it
2) Skein of Shadows--love this spell and +armor for all my armor helps me hunt up
3) Claws of the Cougar--+weapons/brawling is pretty sweet
4) CS/BES---lumping these two together as they are my primary trainers of utility/augmentation/warding and the +agility/strength/stamina respectively are A+
5) Stampede--pretty much my go to Target spell, plus multi-strike is nice

Bottom 5:
1) Awaken Forest---mostly because it could be so awesome but for so many reasons it's not
2) Forest Walkers Boon--why does this spell even exist?
3) Essence of Yew---not sure if this spell even really help much. I honestly just grab a lay ward scroll when I need something.
4) Harawep's Bonds--I remember using this on my Prime Ranger a ton pre 3.0 but now I rarely use it at all in Plat because for 4 spell slots it seems pretty watered down
5) Memory of Nature--I use this spell a ton but the duration seems off (maybe this could be our ritual spell?)

Just my thought and what I prefer to use myself.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/02/2016 12:08 AM CDT
I'll preface this by saying that I came back to DR about a year ago, after taking a break from ~2008 and onwards. At that time, I played a 150th Ranger in TF (Vision) with a pretty standard Ranger build for that era - sbow/HE primary, leather/light chain, all evasion/stealth, no shield, no TM.
When I came back, I discovered DR3 had basically made Vision obsolete, and instead of doing a bunch of backtraining I started a new one from scratch. Fisher (113th) is essentially the same mold as my WM and Barb - SE/LE/LT/HT/Brawl/TM, cloth + chain + shield + stealth. I haven't touched stick bows with him because it just doesn't seem worth it in DR3 combat. Anyway,

Here are the spells I keep up 90% of the time (ie, while hunting), in no particular order:

Instinct
Earth Meld
Sense of the Tiger
Claws of the Cougar
See the Wind
Skein of Shadows
Wisdom of the Pack
Manifest Force (I know, not a Ranger spell, but I'll include it)

Ones I use for TM/Debil:
Carrion Call
Branch Break

Ones I have up sometimes while hunting:
Memory of Nature

Very rarely, BES/CS

Occasionally, Athleticism

If I used stick bows, HOL maybe for dual load.
I might use HB instead of BB in some circumstances/critters.
I might use Blend for 'oh crap' moments or other purposes.
Compost is occasionally useful for junk control.
I don't typically hunt where COTW or Devolve would be useful. Likewise with EY. Maybe in PvP.

My bottom 5 would definitely be:
- Wolf Scent
- Awaken Forest
- Forestwalker's Boon
- Eagle's Cry
- Devitalize
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/03/2016 06:30 PM CDT

Top 5
STW - because weapon bonus is good
COTC - same
COTW - effective debil
INST - like the rest, just better combat
I guess HOL for dual load, though it seems like an arbitrary requirement

Bottom 5
AF - cool down is ridiculous
yew - i don't often find myself needing magic ward
forest walkers - i just use stealth if i need to not be attacked
grizz - don't even have this one
CAC - because i forgot this existed until i looked at the spell list.

Jalika
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/04/2016 05:43 AM CDT
This is hard to quantify. Most of our spells are niche spells. Where i would use one for one situation and not for another.

An example would be during invasions. I would have WOTP (wisdom of the pack) in the top 5. I would not go into an invasion without it. The boost to my tactics raises it from 500 to close to 600, and its a huge boost during invasions for anyone facing the critter I'm facing. The second would be DEVOLVE (Its the only debil spell we have that we can safely cast in town during invasion without being arrested). And since it knocks down the top two stats of the critter you affect, when you add this to the tactics boost its huge and works really good.

Another situation is magic casters. Like adan'f (dancers and shadow mages). I would have EY in the top of this list paired with lay ward (EY works against debil spells and Lay Ward vs damage spells). Its the perfect defense vs these things. There are others like heirophants, plague wraiths, goblin shaman, sky giants, etc., that fall into the same category. But till you get to hunt those most folks wont see a use for them.

And last but not least is COTW and GRIZ. These are best if your charisma and wisdom are high. And they are fantastic vs cursed critters like adan'f, elpalzi, fenrae reaver types, etc. and corporeal undead. In fact COTW is better on Adan'f than HB is. And HB works pretty good on them. With a prep of 20 using GRIZ, I can keep heirophants on their back for the duration. 2nd best debil spell around.

Traing TM or debil my go to spells would be CAC and SWARM - Not sure why folks don't like CAC. First you make the critter bleed with an arrow or melee weapon, then you cast cac till it dies and it most certainly will. Just don't cast this on an undamaged critter because if you do your wasting your time. Swarm is probably the best debil training spell there is and if you add the fact if you cast it you can hide on just about anything, even in full chain or brig armor.

Top 5:
SOTT - love the reflexes.
INSTINCT - Love that evasion booster.
COTC - Great boost to melee weapons.
HOL - Disarm bonus, dual load, skinning boost and help when you prep leather.
SKS - Just love this for chain and brig armors.

Bottom 5:
FWB - Forestwalkers Boon - useless affects so few critters not worth getting.
MON - Memory of nature - Right now it lasts for such a short time its not worth getting. If I am in town for a short time I'm not going to lose my bonus so badly I don't recover just fine.
Where it kills you is doing forging or something that takes you to craft hall for a few hours. Maybe the new version will last long enough to make it more useful.
Compost - Only thing this is good for is early training in Utility, and it cleans a room quicker than our beseech and the fact its 0 slots means you need it. I cast it a lot.
AF - In fact if you want to mine or lumberjack in a critter infested area having awaken forest is really nice even if your TM is not high enough to make your forest spawn lethal.
The fact it has such a long timer to use it again it only helps if you stay in one spot and wait for the timer on the materials to come back so you can continue to lumberjack or mine.
Add in the fact that TM is a struggle to learn at higher levels for rangers means a lot of us old timers don't have enough TM to get much from it.
BLEND - If I did not need it to train and to get SKS, I suspect i would not bother with blend. I'm better off with Earth Meld casts rather than BLEND.

Ranger Pfanston and his Soggy pup.
So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 06:43 AM CDT
So that was some useful (if not entirely unexpected) feedback. So let's talk about some of these spells everyone doesn't like.

1 & 2) Awaken Forest and Forestwalker's Boon

It comes as no surprise that these two were on everyone's list as bottom spells. Forestwalker's Boon I think we can all agree is extremely niche and, frankly, useless. The goal of letting you move through wilderness unmolested is very niche (even if flavorful) and generally better accomplished by stealth or just pressing those number keys faster. I don't think there's much to salvage from the spell except maybe the name/flavor and even that I'm dubious on. If you'd like to defend the continued existence of this spell speak now or forever hold your peace.

Awaken Forest is a different story. I think there's a lot of cool potential there (Even if I'm dubious about how much of a pet class Rangers should be, or at least a pet class in this particular way). So I'd like to dig further - what specifically about this spell do you all hate (aside from the cool down). Is there a version of it you can picture that you'd like better? Is there a version you'd like better that isn't a reskinned version of Quicken the Earth?

3 & 4) Carrion Call and Devitalize
5) Eagle's Cry

I am shocked* to discover that Rangers feel they have too many redundant TM spells. Eagle's Cry and Devitalize are particularly egregious (separated only by their messaging and impact vs puncture for half their damage). So let's break it down.

EC vs DEVI - One of these spells should remain more or less as it is (The standard single strike TM spell every magic using guild has access too). But Rangers have absolutely no need for either of them and even if I was willing to allow a change to a different element to make them feel slightly more different the messaging is already extremely cold based so I'd really just be writing a new spell which wouldn't solve anything. My inclination is to leave EC more or less alone and focus on making DEVI more unique. One option would be to push it towards a Heavy TM or Armor Piercing template (Since those are new toys 3.2 is bringing us) though I'm not sure how fitting it is for a tert magic guild to have either of them. We haven't decided how wide spread those types of spells will be. (Compare DFA which, IIRC, doesn't really exist outside of the Magic Primary guilds). Another option would be to give DEVI a secondary effect - I'm leaning towards fatigue drain.

Carrion Call - This is actually a fairly unique TM spell (not just for Rangers) and I kind of like the mechanic. Does it get no love because the damage it gives up for the special targetting is too much? Or because Stampede is totally drinking it's milkshake (See below).

While we're at it - why is Stampede so popular in comparison? Just because it's multi-strike? Or because it's multi-strike which always hits the chest (Which is something I feel should have never been allowed and am disinclined to let stand)?

*I am not at all shocked.

A couple of other points that I feel just avoided making the list that I'd like a little more feedback on.

Compost - I'm certain this would have made the cut if it wasn't 0 slot. Does anyone want to defend it's current incarnation? If I was to burn it down and make something new - would anyone be upset at it's loss?
Earth Meld - How do people feel about the auto hide? Would this be more popular as a simple stealth buff (With maybe a second effect/skill/something vs a one time effect)
Grizzly Claws - How about the engagement knockback? I got a lot of similar feedback from the Warrior Mages that they don't like engagement knockbacks combined with knockdowns since they have to chase what they're trying to knock over to kill it. However, in theory, this seems more reasonable for a Ranger who's more likely to be packing a ranged weapon.

(Also a shout out to CotC, HOL and Instinct being easily the top three spells, with Skein of Shadows right behind. At least I get credit for writing one SKS right? And an honorable mention to Memory of Nature for being the most divisive.)

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 09:18 AM CDT

Foresterwalker's Boon - completely agree here.

Awaken Forest - Could it be made so we can't auto face/target our own? The fact if I'm hunting in a high spawn area I tend to use it for collecting boxes. If I auto face with face next and hit attack it despawns. As well, it teaches nothing (Yes I am aware you learn a tiny bit when casting it) but all other "pet" type spells teach something. At one point we were told it uses TM and I even believe in test it taught TM prior to being re-released.

Interesting idea with this one. Could the power of the spawn be tied to our bonus vs another skill? Would give more reason to keep a good bonus.

TM spells - Stampede at least in the testing I've done seems to give more bang for the buck as a whole. Granted, when I first started messing with it, it seemed like it didn't do much because the messaging would say it "bounced" off etc but really it still dealt vital damage.

CAC - While I have this spell the 20 or so times I've used it even putting 40-50 mana it in the damaged seemed lacking. So at least IMO the damage it gives up is an issue.

Devi - Fatigue drain would be interesting depending on how well it worked. Most things I use TM against I alternate attacking/casting so fatigue drain isn't going to do much good in PVE as it will die in less than 15 seconds.

Compost - I say burn it down. We have dump junk/beseech if we need to get rid of stuff that bad.

Earth Meld - Personally, the auto hide is just fun to mess with people. Chances are in combat if you get hit that hard to need the auto hide. Its searching you out anyway. Is it currently, taking away from the buff itself? If so, I would say make it a simple stealth buff.

Grizzly Claws - rarely use it though the way I train I don't care for the knockback for that reason.
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 09:23 AM CDT
Awaken Forest:
Issues with awaken forest: timer, inability to control the spawn, and lack of teaching. I’ll focus on the latter two. I will say I’d like the timer a bit better if it was tied to the ranger but allowed your spawn to follow you from room to room.

As it stands, the spawn will attack anything that is not the caster; this includes critters, PCs, and other PC minions. Some mechanic to give basic commands/directions to the spawn would increase its functionality. To be able to tell it things like ‘do nothing’, ‘be aggressive’ or ‘defend me/that person’ would be cool start.

The other big issue with the spell is that it doesn’t teach much of anything. It’s my understanding that the spawn’s ability is based at least in part off the caster’s targeted magic skill, but the cast itself only teaches a small amount of utility and then nothing thereafter. If the spell taught in some way beyond the initial cast that’d be awesome. That said having it teach TM as it fights would edge it much closer to a re-skinned version of QTE. Perhaps the restrictions on it (i.e., limited rooms, long timer) would be enough to make it feasible for a Ranger to have a similar but more restrictive/weaker spell.

Perhaps the theme of the spell could be more of an “Oh crud I need help” kind of thing and have the mob be able to taunt/defend for a short period of time/in select situations.

EC/Devi:
AOE cyclical TM? That’s not too much to ask for, right? Maybe just a cyclical TM.

Compost:
I haven’t cast this spell in years, so having something that has a purpose would be nifty.

EM:
99% of the time this spell is primarily used as a stealth boost. Dropping the 1% of the time the auto-hide feature is useful for a boost on the rest is a no-brainer in my mind.

Grizzly Claws:
The knockback is useful when you’re trying to get away or hunt with a ranged weapon. That said, things are free to hop up/advance you instantly and stealth is better for running away/ranged hunting. Making Griz an AOE knockdown/stun would be preferable to a knockdown/knockback. That does provide some overlap with BB though, which might not be preferable. If not a stun perhaps it could disorient the mobs in some way/give them a timer so they’re not back in your face in 5 seconds.

SKS:
Would be cool if SKS also covered shields. Arm-worn shields are standard-issue equipment for Rangers nowadays and we are armor secondary after all.

-Articus
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 09:56 AM CDT
>>I don't think there's much to salvage from the spell except maybe the name/flavor and even that I'm dubious on.

Similar to how [fir?] familiars can drag warrior mages out of combat when they're in danger, would be amusing if Forestwalker's Boon would let Rangers get some emergency exit in nature-based areas.

Immobilized Ranger = Tree branch breaks to block a strike against the Ranger and push attacker back to missile.
Stunned Ranger = Big old bear drags the Ranger out of the room.
Webbed Ranger = Hawk flies down, tears away at the web/net/etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 09:58 AM CDT
>>Issues with awaken forest: timer, inability to control the spawn, and lack of teaching. I’ll focus on the latter two. I will say I’d like the timer a bit better if it was tied to the ranger but allowed your spawn to follow you from room to room.

TBH I wouldn't lose sleep if Awaken Forest worked similar to Quicken Earth (and Guardian Spirits, I suppose).

Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 11:14 AM CDT
>>Forestwalker's Boon

Anything you do will make this spell better. I already gave my suggestion earlier to make it a spawn booster. I think that would be fairly thematic for Rangers, and something I would find much more useful.

>>Awaken Forest... Is there a version of it you can picture that you'd like better? Is there a version you'd like better that isn't a reskinned version of Quicken the Earth?

Losing the recast timer would be the biggest thing to help this spell. I don't like the despawn if you accidently attack it, but without the timer it wouldn't be that big of a deal anymore.

>> My inclination is to leave EC more or less alone and focus on making DEVI more unique. One option would be to push it towards a Heavy TM or Armor Piercing template

Yes, please. If not then...

>>Another option would be to give DEVI a secondary effect - I'm leaning towards fatigue drain.

Would be something I would pick up also.

>>CaC

For me it's the loss of power that really makes this spell less attractive than others. I like it's niche, but if I'm really going to put mana into trying to kill something quicker then I feel I'd be better off using a disabler to make my weapon damage higher, or using EC for full vit damage, rather than try to get the kill by destroying a body part at the cost of vit damage. Boost it up to full damage and it would be something I would use other than a preq for other spells.

>>Stampede

I don't use TM for many other reasons than to train the skill, so it trains better than it's single target counterparts and kills faster to boot.

>>Compost - I'm certain this would have made the cut if it wasn't 0 slot. Does anyone want to defend it's current incarnation? If I was to burn it down and make something new - would anyone be upset at it's loss?

As long as the new incarnation is an early access Utility spell, then I would have no complaints.

>>Earth Meld - How do people feel about the auto hide? Would this be more popular as a simple stealth buff (With maybe a second effect/skill/something vs a one time effect)

I personally really like the hide-on-cast effect myself. There's not an effect/skill that I can think of that I would rather replace it.

>>Grizzly Claws - How about the engagement knockback? I got a lot of similar feedback from the Warrior Mages that they don't like engagement knockbacks combined with knockdowns since they have to chase what they're trying to knock over to kill it. However, in theory, this seems more reasonable for a Ranger who's more likely to be packing a ranged weapon.

I tend to agree that knock-back isn't a desired effect most of the time, but I could see uses for it also. My ideal would be the same suggestion you got from WMs, and have a meta-spell to turn it on/off. Otherwise my vote is leave it as it is.
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 11:33 AM CDT

Devi - I like the idea of a secondary effect on this.

CAC - I don't use it, because why would I train with a spell that's only going to do damage some of the time (when the creature is already injured), when I could use something that does damage all the time.

Compost - I use it occasionally to compost crafted stuff I've dumped on the ground of when people are constantly trying to forage but can't because the room is full and its driving me crazy. Nothing some kicking and the janitor can't replace though.

EM - If I need a snap save, I'll throw up blend. The only time I ever am looking for the autohide feature is when I cast on others to try and help them, which isn't completely useless, but rare. A secondary effect may be more useful?

Grizz - Ya...I just don't care for this. If I am worried about getting wrecked when using missile weapons, i'll be doing stealth and not constantly trying to knock them back.

Cotc/hol/inst - These are great. THey are definitely the wardrobe basics of the spell tree.

SKS - I didn't use to use this until I stepped up the creature ladder, and now its part of my buffing.
MON - Shout out to this one. I use it all the time for my stealing runs.

Jalika
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 12:11 PM CDT
>Compost - I'm certain this would have made the cut if it wasn't 0 slot. Does anyone want to defend it's current incarnation? If I was to burn it down and make something new - would anyone be upset at it's loss?

If you're burning it down and making a something new could we retain Compost as a zero slot AP spell? I sorcerously cast it fairly often and I intensely dislike how so many people just write dump junk into their script loops. Being able to controllably clean a single room rather than uncontrollably wiping a zone is nice.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 12:13 PM CDT
>>CAC - I don't use it, because why would I train with a spell that's only going to do damage some of the time (when the creature is already injured), when I could use something that does damage all the time.

>tar goblin
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a goblin.
>
Your formation of a targeting pattern around a goblin has completed.
>look goblin
You see a goblin.
The goblin is in good shape.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

>cast
You lift your right hand, forming your fingers into the shape of a vulture's talons.
With the deep, hissing growl of a hungry vulture, a cascade of deep purple streams of energy come into being, forming up to swirl menacingly around the goblin, clawing and grasping at its body!
The swirling streams fully encircle a goblin's chest, suddenly clawing into a goblin's chest in multiple places. The purple energy vanishes, revealing a burning husk of cracking ribs behind, which quickly turn to ash!
A goblin collapses to the ground, shuddering and moaning until it ceases all movement.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

-Raesh

Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 12:46 PM CDT

>Raesh/CAC

So went to my usual stomping grounds (headsplitters) and realized that CAC is the only TM spell I have that doesn't work against undead, so its not going to become my goto.

That said, I went up to apes and tested the EC/STAM/Devi/CaC. CaC, devi, and ec performed similarly. Stam took a couple extra casts to take the ape down. I don't see a useful niche for it, and if I had any concerns about spellslots, I'd probably drop Stam/CaC.

Jalika
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 05:53 PM CDT
>Awaken Forest is a different story. I think there's a lot of cool potential there (Even if I'm dubious about how much of a pet class Rangers should be, or at least a pet class in this particular way). So I'd like to dig further - what specifically about this spell do you all hate (aside from the cool down). Is there a version of it you can picture that you'd like better? Is there a version you'd like better that isn't a reskinned version of Quicken the Earth?

I personally don't care for pet spells, and I couldn't think of a better version that wasn't just reskinned QE that would be worth spending slots on. I feel like we've got the "pet" thing covered with Companions.

I'm wondering if we could cannibalize Besseches and turn them into spells? That system is such a joke, I doubt many would care if they started to disappear. (Unless of course there was some development around them and what they mean in terms of our confound, so the system could be revived).

One Beseech that'd be nice to have as a spell is Petrify, which bonuses armor in a different way than SKS. Also Cradle would be helpful to have as a spell (stanches bleeding).

>My inclination is to leave EC more or less alone and focus on making DEVI more unique.

EC makes sense as an Armor-Piercing spell.
Devitalize could do fatigue or spirit damage or ignore armor completely, based on the flavor of the spell. More things that interact with Spirit are Good Things, and I feel like Rangers have a good reason to be involved.

>CAC

I like how CAC works, but in a Stampede world I just won't use it to train. I vote for not changing it, unless it's damage template was improved. Stampede wins because of the multi-shot.

>EM

Please remove the auto-hide. It isn't useful, as I can just cast Blend if I'm in trouble.

>GRIZ

PLEASE remove the knock-back and make it just plain knockdown. Also remove the nature restrictions (this could go for most/all our spells, but I doubt that'd happen).

Thanks for taking the time to hear us out!

GENT
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 05:59 PM CDT
FWIW I think AF is useful to keep as a "pet" for the purposes of stacking multi-opponent penalties on a foe, and maybe from there it could focus on debilitation of some kind instead of dealing damage? Switch it to function off of debilitation ranks and have it web, unbalance, and/or trip your opponents for you instead of do damage.

The downside is that Rangers already have some fairly potent debilitation, so I'm not sure whether there would be interest in such a pet. But that would be my suggestion for making something QE-like that isn't QE.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 07:33 PM CDT
Hmmm, I like the idea of a Debilitation-based pet. I don't see why it couldn't work.

We have a great set of debilitation effects already, stun, web, knockdown... what other effects could it have? Just spit-balling:

- disable/damage armor, weapons, or shield
- greatly reduce stun resistance
- cause random roundtimes
- cause target to drop items in hands
- force them to face the pet(s)
- grant a bonus to ambushing
- cause nerve damage
- prevent spell-casting for short time

I think renaming the spell would help to expand it's concept a bit. Obviously, all of these effects could be caused by Nature's most potent spirit: squirrels*. Maybe Fury of the Furries? Flurry of Furries? Furries' Fury?

GENT

*I'm only kind of joking about squirrels.
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 07:40 PM CDT

Forestwalker's Boon: not sure I would cry is this spell ceased to exist....me personally I want more critters not less so make this spell be a critter attractant and now we've got something

Awaken Forest: Besides the frequently mentioned cool down Is having no real control over who/what it engages and it doesn't teach anything. Do I want them to be/expect them to be zombies not really, but the spell just seems to have so much potential and be so bad.

Carrion Call/Devitalize: I just love the messaging from both of these....if I had it my way axe Eagle Cry and long live devitalize

Eagle's Cry: see above

Stampede: Yes, most popular because it always pounds the chest and multi-strike....when fighting flex/boss creatures it makes a huge difference

Compost: either kill the beseech or kill the spell

Earth Meld: I like the auto hide, partially because on tough critters it's the only think that gets me into hiding in the first place

Grizzly Claws: exactly what you said =knockdown defeated by knockback to engage.....but as you said I may be the only melee prime Ranger so maybe knockback is better for the masses

SKS: you get an A+++++ from me, this spell is awesome

Insert plea for a multi-strike AOE with Ranger flavor similar to Harm Horde.....maybe they aren't as cool as they sound but seems like it would be

Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 07:51 PM CDT
<<So I'd like to dig further - what specifically about this spell do you all hate (aside from the cool down). Is there a version of it you can picture that you'd like better? Is there a version you'd like better that isn't a reskinned version of Quicken the Earth?

Ranger version of shadow web. Turns the very environment against the ranger's enemies. Would message as things like vines, creepers, water weeds, or even animated water or dirt. Cyclic AoE debil.
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 07:58 PM CDT
Awaken Forest:
I think this spell would be a lot more usable if the spawn was smarter about what it is targeting, and if it wasn't treated as any other creature when you face next or attack with no target so the system picks the next target.
Right now there are only two scenarios I can think of where I've used it:
1. Mining - works perfect there. I let it deal with creatures while I mine. No chance of me targeting it or it attacking me because I'm not doing any fighting.
2. Invasions when there aren't many people around - I'll occasionally summon one here when there are a lot of invaders. Sooner or later I'll accidentally face it so it'll attack me and I'll have to get rid of it. That, or someone else will walk in and it'll eventually choose them as a target, either because they are next on the list after a kill or they accidentally target it.

I'm not sure how the other combat pets work. Could the spawn..
1. only attack things that are engaged with the person who summoned it?
2...or only attack things that aren't players?
3...or only attack things that aren't in the group of the person who summoned it?
4...or only attack PCs as a last resort, when there is nothing else to kill and it is drawn to attack something.

1 would be my favorite. 2 would be good, too. 3 & 4 would still be dangerous to work with, but an improvement over what it is now.

I could also ask to be given fine control over it like the ability to tell it to target specific things, but I figure that's going to close to the other combat pets.. and the spawn is still a wild creature, only loosely controlled by the ranger.

If I remember the 2.0 version of AF correctly, the spawn was a lot weaker, the duration a lot shorter and the cool down a lot shorter.
3.0 brought us a spawn that has the potential to hang around long enough to actually be useful, with a really long cool down to go with it.
I say the spawn has the potential to hang around, but when it decides to attack me or a friend five minutes in, forcing me to kill it, and I have to wait an hour before I can cast another, the cool down sucks.
If the spawn can be smarter about targeting and less easy to accidentally attack, I think the cool down might still be reasonable. I would have to play with it and see.

Other nice-to-have's that are probably beyond the scope of a ranger combat pet..but hey, I can wish:
1. signal spawn to.. attack <person/creature>, defend <person>, distract <person/creature>, hide, dance, squeal, facepalm, gwethsmash <target>.
2. Allow the spawn to follow the caster from room to room (would this require turning it into a cyclic spell?)

Targeted Magic:
At one point I got the idea that stampede teaches better because it is multi-strike. I have no idea if this is true or not and I haven't really cast anything else at level to test that theory.
The only other spell I cast is CAC. I do like the spell, the idea behind it and actually using it. I mostly use it during invasions and such, or backtraining with others and attacking things nobody else wants to deal with. If I remember correctly I couldn't hit things at level with it like I could stampede. It has been a while so I'm not sure. But I mostly use stampede out of habit.

Compost:
I like having a way to instantly clean a room on demand. I don't like that the spell became a method of training that encourage people to repeatedly clean a room.
I would like to maintain a way of doing this. Beseech Elanthia to compost, 10-15 seconds of messaging about bugs or vines or something covering things on the ground, and they're gone.. which can replace beseech the wind to clean?
Skaen brought up a good point, too. A lot of other guilds like to use it, too. I don't know the best way to go about preserving the ability, making an option in dump junk to do it quickly, make an AP spell that cleans up, or what.
I would like to see something replace compost though.

Earth Meld:
There are times I use the auto hide feature to hide other people, usually for fun, but sometimes to protect them.
I remembered a 3.0 spell slot discussion a while back where we were told EM cost an additional spell slot just for the auto hide feature. I would rather have the spell slot or an additional effect (not sure what that effect would be).

Grizzly Claws:
I think this spell would be a lot more useful without the knockback. 3.0 made bows melee-friendly. The only time I use this spell is when backtraining with younger people, knocking things down to make them easier for others to hit, or keeping Hierophants subdued while leading young clerics through on the resurrection quest.
A long time ago I can remember successfully using the spell to knock things back when I was having trouble retreating due to injuries. That was before 3.0. Since then I have tried it a few times with no success. If I'm not able to retreat or hide then I also can't hit them with the spell so it was a waste.
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 07:59 PM CDT
<<Compost - I'm certain this would have made the cut if it wasn't 0 slot. Does anyone want to defend it's current incarnation? If I was to burn it down and make something new - would anyone be upset at it's loss?

Compost's effect is quite useful since not having to wait for the janitor to show up is a nice perk. If anything should be changed it should be the wind beseech which mostly duplicates the effect, but has more restrictions on use.

The spell also makes magic training a bit easier for rangers at the start since they get two spells right from the first circle. It's a small benefit, but it does help out.
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/04/2016 08:09 PM CDT
<<Ranger version of shadow web. Turns the very environment against the ranger's enemies. Would message as things like vines, creepers, water weeds, or even animated water or dirt. Cyclic AoE debil.

Another option... have it still summon a creature on a cooldown, but the creature follows you around like SLS, but is less effective if not in an similar environment to where it was summoned. Something like slower pulse times or reduced potency. E.g. you are in a cave and summon a rock creature which starts shaking the earth and sending up ripples of dirt. You move outside of the cave to the forest or nearby river and it follows you, but is less effective at causing the earth to shake and stuff. This would work with either the damaging or debilitating type pet.
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/05/2016 02:16 AM CDT
I'm not up so much with the usefulness of the modern Ranger spell list, but my original character in DR was a Ranger, way back when it was just good 'ol Sphere of Protection. I have to say the number one thing that kept me from bringing him back is the look of the spells and their technicolor insanity and lack of thematic feel. Is there any chance we can get something more natural and more cool looking? We don't have a Druid in this game to worry about stepping on the toes of, and I think that given the obscene amount of critters that spawn and are killed every day, it is not at all far-fetched to get some actual critters to show up instead of the phantom menace.

I posted some more in-depth ideas for the Ranger spell list here during Naohhi's drive: http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Rangers/Ranger%20Ideas%20-%20Suggestions%20For%20Improvement/thread/1752411?page=2

To take some of my ideas from there:
New Spell - Animal Attack - Basic TM spell. Single attack by a smaller summoned animal. Works like Call of the Wild.

Call of the Wild - Combination of Eagle's Cry, Stampede, etc. Real animals of different types to strike at a foe. Different types based on terrain and a random roll for which type, and thus which damage type, you get. Possible pulsing damage in recurring attacks. If the spell pulses, the animal might appear in the room but not be attackable while spell is active.

Possible Metaspell that lets Call of the Wild be AoE but with fewer pulses.

New Spell - Entangle - Debilitation with different types of messaging based on terrain. Could devour Branch Break and/or Harawep's Bonds. Again, based on terrain with a random roll to determine what type of grabbing. If it devours HB, the spiders could be just one of those options. Might be nice to have a different quirk to the type of immobilization depending on the random roll of what's summoned - knockdown, stat debuff from spider poison, etc.

Carrion Call -Ranger clenches his hand, area-appropriate insects scurry up to devour. DfA - ok, technically from below.

Swarm - Messaging-wise extends from an open hand for great nature-warrior justice.

- Saragos
Re: So let's talk about those bottom spells... 04/07/2016 12:05 PM CDT
Possibly make compost give one tier bonus to nature for a room for a few minutes.

Rename Forest Walker Boon to Friend of the Forest (FoF) or something where it will give a CHARISMA boost with another small boost to something else. the reason I suggest this is because most rangers suck with TM and to a lesser degree debil. This will help with combat spells. Make it limited to nature and it will dispell if you go into the city.

Personally, my ranger is in a pretty solid spot with combat magic training. But I ALWAYS have WOTP spell up for the WISDOM boost to help my TM accuracy.
If Friends of the Forest existed (FoF), I'd always have that up too so the charisma boost would help with combat magic.

for AF, pretty much what others said...make it a smart 'friend', not a dumb one. Lower cool down, etc.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/08/2016 09:02 PM CDT
I'm one of those odd ducks that keeps buffs up all the time. I have SKS SOTT INST COTC HOL STW MAF EASE EY WOTP and Vigor (when I have the scroll for it) running.
I use EC as my TM spell and Swarm as my Debil trainer.

Beyond my hunting buffs I use Athleticism the most.

Bottom of the Barrel is

MoN, Blend, Fwb CS and BES.

CS and BES just because I'm not a big fan of cyclic buff spells like that.

Magics are mostly on par with my combats.

~Kighleigh~