Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/25/2008 04:41 PM CDT
SO yeah, I cut off my tongue. Used to be that it would give you a nice bleed to practice on. Now I'm just missing my tongue. I tried to heal it on my own with herbs, but... no go. Thanks to Hanryu for directing me to the Empaths guild. Now, however, i'm wondering about the feasability of rping a mute Ranger. Could be interesting. Apparantly using the ACT option gives me a Roundtime of 30 seconds. Haven't tried others yet. Any other possible ways around this?

~(someday)Pirate Pleasance~
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/25/2008 05:53 PM CDT
Rangers have a very limited set of sign language. I don't know that there's a comprehensive list of them, but check them out using the 'sign' verb.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/25/2008 07:32 PM CDT
>>Now, however, i'm wondering about the feasability of rping a mute Ranger. Could be interesting. Apparantly using the ACT option gives me a Roundtime of 30 seconds. Haven't tried others yet. Any other possible ways around this?

RP being mute, and don't cut out the tongue.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/25/2008 07:42 PM CDT
When Mozz took his year of silence it took a little work but I had a stylus and a book he'd jote notes in to show to people. I believe companion slates can support this a little better now.

-- The Omen Speaker

Caelumia whispers to Amelilu, "OOC: that would be awesome. I'd get cael a sorcery brand on her butt or something."
Amelilu whispers to Caelumia, "OOC: HAHA."
Amelilu whispers to Caelumia, "OOC: PROPERTY OF EALUIK."
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/25/2008 08:25 PM CDT
You only get roundtime for act when you have no tongue.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/25/2008 09:40 PM CDT
Yup, head up to Langen and see the folks in the shed or lean-to, forget just right now. I think slates are still 5 gold but not sure. Use of the slates have helped 3 folks I know of in their muted or mutilated state. Just can't write very long messages. Oh yeah and they come in different colors but for some odd reason I didn't know this so I BUY SLATE and I always got a pink one! And I hate pink! And then I saw someone with a black slate and so got different colors...anyone want 6 or so pink slates from my vault?
So a warning, specify color. Unless of course you want pink.

Zinaca
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/25/2008 10:34 PM CDT
Bar yourself in an inn room or house and experiment with the million emote verbs we have in DR. If you like, I believe there's even a mirror in the Healerie for you to practice with. Nobody ever goes down there anymore.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/25/2008 10:40 PM CDT
Be aware if you play a mute, and worried about being 100% consistant there are a surprisingly number of actions that you wouldn't think about that involve saying something.

Lockpicking (for example) use to have you mutter a curse when you broke a pick, though not sure it still does.

Many spell preps use verbal messages, I know part of what let me do it with Mozz was when we got the new preps even if I had to use that terrible one about licking your finger ::shudders:: I hated it before, and hate it more now but it was the only non verbal one I had access too.

-- The Omen Speaker

Caelumia whispers to Amelilu, "OOC: that would be awesome. I'd get cael a sorcery brand on her butt or something."
Amelilu whispers to Caelumia, "OOC: HAHA."
Amelilu whispers to Caelumia, "OOC: PROPERTY OF EALUIK."
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 10:23 AM CDT
I just put this together from my sign script:

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Ranger_Sign

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Ranger_Sign_Script

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
55/7/5 - 30 days
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 11:54 AM CDT
I wasn't originally even considering RPing a mute, but the incident made me think of it. Ya know, roll with the circumstances of what your character would do if x happens. I actually logged out to ponder the situation. Do I want to take a stab at it? Would my character go to an Empath to fix the problem? Would she figure 'c'est la vie'?(though not in french because it doesn't exist). Even going to Hanryu about the problem opened up a few funny moments. My character isn't really all that social, so the lack of speech doesn't effect her too much.

Two questions though:
1. Why the RT on ACT when you have no tongue?
2. What kind of wound is it? I healed of the external one, so I'm assuming it's some sort of internal wound or scarring, or both.

Of course going to the Empath guild to get it fixed opens up a few funny moments. And frustrating ones. A lot of the time the Empaths are too busy woolgathering to hear someone ask for healing, much less see someone flailing thier arms about and gesturing to the missing tongue.

It would be sort of neat to have a verb for sticking out the stub of my tongue. Disgusting, but neat.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 12:26 PM CDT
>I just put this together from my sign script:

Nice, thanks.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 12:27 PM CDT
>Why the RT on ACT when you have no tongue?

Because what normally happens is this:

>say Ouch my tongue!
But you have no tongue!
>act Ouch my tongue!
(Lameplayer Ouch my tongue!)

Basically, people use it to circumvent their inability to speak.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 12:32 PM CDT
Oh... so a few bad apples screwed it for the rest of us. Brilliant. About to flip a coin on the whole getting it healed thing. If I decide I want to RP it, I can always cut it off again.

Choices choices.

Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 12:47 PM CDT
You could always roleplay a mute that has a tongue.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 12:57 PM CDT
This is true. Though it would be way too easy to give into the temptation of just saying something. I don't know as I have the discipline to stick with it. A lack of tongue would take that out of my hands. Not too mention I'd have to think of a REASON that she's mute. She has no reason, well, apart from the lack of tongue. And it would be sort of cool to be a tongueless/mute pirate. Still undecided.

Odd Fact: Heinz Catsup leaving the bottle travels at 25 miles PER YEAR
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 02:08 PM CDT
HAH! Can't circle because I can't ASK. That solves that one.

Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 04:22 PM CDT
One other thing to note when going the cut your tongue out by accident route is that as soon as an empath heals that head wound your tongue is healed. Since its so small a wound, and you aren't able to communicate well, that might accidentally happen sooner than you would think.

-Evran

"Constitutions are meant to protect minorities -- not to take rights away from people." - Bruce Bastian
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 04:27 PM CDT
In that case, feel free to employ the OOC verb. We tend to only proactively ask about bleeders unless we're already familiar with your act, so if you ask for a heal and don't speak up about wanting to keep things you're not going to get a very warm reception if you then throw a fit about it (that said, we also tend to pause up front so you have a chance to type in a response).

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 04:27 PM CDT
Should be easy enough to get it back though.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 10/26/2008 04:33 PM CDT
actually, my missing tongue wasn't a bleeding wound, unless I'm misunderstanding you. Don't know about the OOC verb while having a missing tongue. Can't even whisper, so I wasn't thinking that way. It's all good though. Just had to get the attention of an empath that wasn't surrounded by a billion other things to do.

Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 11/15/2008 12:17 AM CST
Wasn't there a player named Mute back in the day that didn't speak at all?

-Vorp
Re: Rping a mute/Thanks to Hanryu 11/15/2008 07:52 AM CST
The name rings a bell. At any rate, I got my tongue healed. Don't think being a mute, accidentally or purposefully, is in the cards for my character as of this time. Maybe sometime in the future when she doesn't need so much training. And if she does go mute, it won't be because her tongue was cut out (well, by her own hand that is). The RT on seemingly unrelated actions drives me crazy.

Odd Fact: To "testify" was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles.

Warning found on a box of Hair Coloring: "Do not use as an ice cream topping."