background 01/01/2007 12:07 AM CST
Just curious on how some of you came about picking the name for your character. I picked mine back in 1996 when I was 16 and was reading LOTR for the first time and then stubled across this game on AOL. So hence the relationship Gimlias shares with LOTR. What about you guys?

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.geocities.com/drboxes

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan" ~From skinning debate
Re: background 01/01/2007 02:59 AM CST
Mage Xelten Tyrsin, Arcane Warrior of Ilithi

The name and method of RPing a Ranger are completely original.

- Xelten
Re: background 01/01/2007 09:57 AM CST
I adapted mine from a book I read which had nothing to do with a fantasy world.

Range Master Dragamar, Recluse of Aesry Sulaenis'a
Brother Urio, Follower of Urrem'tier
Cadet Ltorilu, Up and Coming Paladin
Re: background 01/01/2007 11:45 AM CST
All of the names I have used in DR have come from similar Dungeons & Dragons characters I have played in the past, about half were original and half were randomly pulled from reference books. I haven't played D&D in years though, I don't have the time for it. I almost got back into it when I went back to college though, one of my instructors was the guy who originally made the game and brought the notion of varying-sided dice into RPGs.
Re: background 01/01/2007 02:08 PM CST
Toad the Wet Sprocket CD, and the original spelling was taken so I changed the E to an I.

I never did see Dulcinea IG though. Ever. But I did freak out the first time I saw Sky.

~Dulcinia

Kadru exclaims, "Nimmi has crazy eyes!"

Haha. Dulci thinks men can reach maturity... --Rayje

I dunno just seems like every woman just hisses when your name is mentioned... --Anonymous
Re: background 01/01/2007 04:10 PM CST
I took a bunch of S'Kra words and strung them together.

>Just curious on how some of you came about picking the name for your character [...] What about you guys?

~ Mehathi Malk'Irhhnth

La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid ...
Proud supporter of the Southern Tenant Farmer's Union
The Anti-Sue. Your character is the very antithesis of a Mary-Sue. Why are you even taking this test?

Re: background 01/01/2007 06:35 PM CST
You are Mortician Asterid Majereux, Grand Master Ranger of The Locksmith Union, an Elf.

Asterix was a folk hero of Gaul. Since you weren't allowed to use a name from IRL, even if it was from a story, I changed the X to a D. Last name is altered last name of Raistlin and Caramon, based on their conversation about the constellation with the name similar to their last name, frenched up a little. (yea I took four years of french in high school, but despite living only about 3 hours from Canada, have never even made it out of the country.)

Asterid Majereux

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: background 01/01/2007 06:55 PM CST
>>Asterix was a folk hero of Gaul.

By "folk hero of Gaul" he means French comic book character. ;P

For my characters, first character was an Elf named Legolaas. I'll let you guess where that came from. After walking him in shame, I went the "type randomly on the keyboard and make a name from that" route, which is how I got Zahash. It's also how I got my Paladin Anthetir's name. Thilan's full name, Thilan Farnmor, is actually a Gamgweth phrase and means "Brown thicket." It's because his mother was a Wind Elf, so they followed Wind Elf naming conventions when naming him but used the Gamgweth language of his Human father.

~Thilan
Re: background 01/01/2007 07:07 PM CST
>>Thilan's full name, Thilan Farnmor, is actually a Gamgweth phrase and means "Brown thicket." It's because his mother was a Wind Elf, so they followed Wind Elf naming conventions when naming him but used the Gamgweth language of his Human father.

So his Heart Name is "Brown"?

Not making fun, just curious.

- Xelten
Re: background 01/01/2007 07:29 PM CST
My first character was an elf named Niccolo Machiavelli. He died very fast in cougars. So I made another but the CM was broke so I had to try to remember the order of questions. I didn't get the order right either.

Calissa's player
Re: background 01/01/2007 07:42 PM CST
>>So his Heart Name is "Brown"?

No, his heart name is something else...as of right now only his mom and pop know it.

~Thilan
Re: background 01/01/2007 07:44 PM CST
<<Last name is altered last name of Raistlin and Caramon, based on their conversation about the constellation with the name similar to their last name>>

Actually, they commented on the spice called Majoram being close to thier last name. Later there was a constellation named Majere after Raistlin became a god in an alternate timeline.

Ideas that make me smile:
"We set a pit trap with the bag of holding."
Re: background 01/01/2007 08:05 PM CST
<<<Actually, they commented on the spice called Majoram being close to thier last name. Later there was a constellation named Majere after Raistlin became a god in an alternate timeline.>>>

Yep, you're right. Gah, I cant even remember how my name came about.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: background 01/02/2007 07:33 AM CST
<<Yep, you're right. Gah, I cant even remember how my name came about.>>

That's okay, neither can I. Maybe it was similiar to my own, maybe I got it from a book, I just don't remember. Oh wait... I kinda do.

Norella was my first character ever. Which was a mix of my own first name Elinore. I think I wanted to give Norella a sister, and I rolled up Lucerella. I think I just kept the 'ella' as a link... don't remember where I got the first half of the name.

Ideas that make me smile:
"We set a pit trap with the bag of holding."
Re: background 01/02/2007 08:54 AM CST
Arctuniol was just kind of a made up set of letters at one point, that I used in different avenues of computer life.

Arctuniol

In an open world who needs Windows or Gates.
Re: background 01/02/2007 09:54 AM CST
Gahlron Dragon'Claws

Trying to find a variation of Galen that wasn't taken. Because every variation of Connor I could think of was.

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
~Mors ante dedecum
Nihil ante coffeum~
Re: background 01/02/2007 01:12 PM CST
Arctuniol, a long time ago you sold me a set of articulated armor. At the time I thought the name was related because of the similarity. I also didn't realize I could buy the armor in a store. Ah, the noob days...
Re: background 01/02/2007 01:28 PM CST
I doubt I sold you anything, since I never sell anything to anyone, I generally give it away. Although I have been known to convince yo yo newbies to do some really stupid things on occasion.

Arctuniol

Re: background 01/02/2007 02:58 PM CST
Picked a consonant then a vowel, consonant, vowel, etc.
Came out with - Vanara

~the player of a halfling, an elf and a human

"I have seen better conflicts from my 4 year old son and a stuffed animal that can't respond."- Arctuniol

"There is no absolute truth in the world for every group of people."
Re: background 01/02/2007 06:44 PM CST
>I doubt I sold you anything, since I never sell anything to anyone, I generally give it away. Although I have been known to convince yo yo newbies to do some really stupid things on occasion.

I'm like 99.99% sure it was you. I just checked to see if I still had the log but no luck. This would have been back around the AOL days. I remember it clearly because I thought articulater armor sounded cool, although I had no idea what it meant.
Re: background 01/02/2007 09:18 PM CST
COuld have been, I played rather drunk most of the time, something about getting drunk, and killing idiot newbies. Ahh it made my life fun.

Arctuniol

Re: background 01/03/2007 07:45 AM CST
For me it was really my utter hate of the names of some people "reaperscythe" or stuff I doubt I could even say "halamanjued" or something along those lines.

"What could be the most easiest name to remember and spell? What name could I pick so that I dont have a handfull of people asking me how to say it? Strong simple, and to the point?"

Here I am, Alexii.

You wonder if the grimy bar of soap is the home of an evil spirit.
Re: background 01/03/2007 01:21 PM CST
<<Arctuniol was just kind of a made up set of letters at one point, that I used in different avenues of computer life.

Actually, Ryan is a huge pokimon fan, and named himself after the ice-bird thing.

Falker
Re: background 01/03/2007 06:21 PM CST
You are Warrior Silvanne, Archer of Elanthia, an Elven Ranger.

Used to play a ranger in my AD&D days. Named her a variation of sylvan--seemed fitting for a backwoods huntress. Correct pronunciation is Sil-von, not Sil-van (which is how most people have said it back to me).

Player of Silvanne, Maiamo Heruaminen Khandrishen

A protagonist must have an antagonist. Otherwise he's just a guy playing with himself.
Re: background 01/03/2007 07:40 PM CST
I was orginally Deathofu (back on aol) because i thought it sounded scary and wanted people to tremble when they heard my name. When i came back in late 98 I came up with Jrendel because it sounded like it would fit the game, but i think it was because the last critter i was hunting on aol were Grendels.

Da Madd Webba

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?

You might as well pay attention since your behind can't afford free speech

I'm like a pee stained mattress, don't sleep on me!
Re: background 01/04/2007 01:46 PM CST
Grendel is a good book.
Re: background 01/04/2007 03:09 PM CST
>Grendel is a good book.

Great book! Once wrote a paper on how the 12 chapters relate to the 12 signs of the zodiac. Got a snarky comment on the bottom of it from my teacher after she graded it. Wish I'd saved that paper...

Player of Silvanne, Maiamo Heruaminen Khandrishen

A protagonist must have an antagonist. Otherwise he's just a guy playing with himself.
Re: background 01/05/2007 08:02 AM CST
<<Actually, Ryan is a huge pokimon fan, and named himself after the ice-bird thing.>>

Falker (aka the wanna be hispanic) is not allowed to come to Superbowl this year and watch the game on my brand new 42 inch Plasma HDTV 1080i with 10,000:1 contrast, and 170 degree viewing angle, which means no bad seat in the house and perfectly set up for any more prop malfunctions with the DVR recording every moment for instant play back. He is now completely cut off to my world famous hot wings, even though he always wants the sissy la la honey bbq ones because he can't handle the real stuff.

Arctuniol

Re: background 01/05/2007 08:39 AM CST
My TV is bigger than yours. Sadly, I never even turn it on because it can't fit in the computer room. Kinda sad when I have better toys than most of the boys do. I have that silly PVR thing too. Oh well. Don't let me interfere. Carry on. Maybe I'll just go wash the car. Or better yet, sleep. Yes. Sleep. Sleep in front of my TV.

>Falker (aka the wanna be hispanic) is not allowed to come to Superbowl this year and watch the game on my brand new 42 inch Plasma HDTV 1080i with 10,000:1 contrast, and 170 degree viewing angle, which means no bad seat in the house and perfectly set up for any more prop malfunctions with the DVR recording every moment for instant play back.

~ Mehathi Malk'Irhhnth

La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid ...
Proud supporter of the Southern Tenant Farmer's Union
The Anti-Sue. Your character is the very antithesis of a Mary-Sue. Why are you even taking this test?

Re: background 01/05/2007 10:59 AM CST
Ohh I could have gone bigger, it just didn't seem the right thing to do with the size of apartment I have. Not until I buy the next house, once that is purchased, then the wonderful tv I just picked up will become the garage TV and the new TV will go into the front room. I have it all mapped out.

Arctuniol

Re: background 01/05/2007 01:08 PM CST
hot wings. mmmmm

____
Mists and Magic, Ocean Breezes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: background 01/05/2007 10:35 PM CST
Man, I can smell the testosterone in here........................................

Sis ut sanus amo a indoles , narro quispiam in Latin.
Re: background 01/08/2007 08:12 PM CST
I named my ranger in a fit of whimsy after reading an Elothean dictionary and have regretted it since. I've met at least 4 horses named Diaka. meh

---
I got Dragon Realms added to ChaCha.com as a keyword so I can guide for it. Yay me. http://tinyurl.com/yj6u48
Re: background 01/09/2007 04:57 AM CST
I did the same thing and have been kicking myself ever since. Not for the horse reason exactly, more like everyone sees the name "serephelte" and automatically thinks girl. I've cleared this up i'm not sure how many times.
Re: background 01/09/2007 08:07 AM CST
Serephelte's not a girl?

~Arwinia

Your mind hears Netherlich thinking "Actually i was asking to buy....movin up to 50Pk for Limb Disruption and 40 for Blackfire."
Re: background 06/10/2007 08:07 PM CDT
Volsa is derived from Volsung, who lent his name to the Volsungs as in Sigured the Volsung Fafnir's Bane. I think it was a computer puzzle game The Ring that I heard it in.