Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/26/2004 12:59 PM CST
I moved this discussion here, as it is more appropriate and Ruklor is off on vacation (yeah we believe this computer excuse) so no need to overrun our interim.

Pep-tog is "hopefully" a very distinct personality. I do realize that sometimes it is very frustrating to talk with Pep-tog. A couple of tips.

1)If you don't understand what he said, say it outloud. It helps.
2)Imagine speaking with a young child (age-wise Pep is still very young) and is very literal. (now imagine Fengreve trying to explain the beseech to transfer to Pep)

Starting over has been very hard for me. My hat is tipped to Jalika and the guy who doesn't get favors, I forgot his Ranger's name. I feel like I have been fighting wood trolls forever.

I do appreciate Railstin, Akashera and others who do spend time in the guild. I think it would be great for a "wilderness" campfire type place where Rangers could gather to share stories and explain critter tactics...etc.

I am Pep-tog. Celebraty.
Striderr says, "You're a Viente Tog!"
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/26/2004 01:11 PM CST
Yeah, I love to develop a distinct speech pattern, such as yours, Pep.

In a role-playing game, its easy to feel in character by just using your thee's and thou's, without really having a reason for the usage...other than perhaps thinking "I'm noble"

I'm having a hard time figuring out who to be though...Elotheans, by nature, are elusive, studious, and haughty. That doesn't leave much room to stay in character, and kid around at the same time - something I enjoy doing.

As for developing a speech pattern, I might try looking through some of the classics...particularly Mark Twain, to see if I can find something satisfactory and easy to translate (for myself, as well as others).

Railstin
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/26/2004 01:23 PM CST
Och Pep, you know I like being able to help. (hugs Pep) Your a good guy. :)

~Akashera

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness; Nothing is so gentle as real strength."
De Sales

<<Virge says, "Ritamaga bee geeyabo ra hihitoganee?"
<<Virge says, "Boobibayeemeelee?"
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/26/2004 01:53 PM CST
I play a couple other characters. One thing I did, was decide how I would speak with each before creating them, but remain flexible. Like in RL, our characters would pick up speech patterns from others, especially phrases. For instance, I was born in KS, yet I have lived about 5 years in TX, I say ya'll now, something I picked up here.

I wouldn't say you would need to speak in a dialect, but figure out some sorta pattern for Railstin to speak in. Perhaps he uses a funny phrase. Perhaps he does something quirkish. For instance, when he walks in the room, perhaps he always observes the room, or nods courtesly. Or perhaps when introducing himself to a lady, he doffs his headgear, or bows graciously and kisses the back of her hand (who says a ranger has to be rough and ill-mannered...I mean besides Sylvado?).

Another option is decide your background. Pep, in Plat, was the son of a Ranger and a Bardess. So, music was important to Pep, he played music and listened to music classes even before Jent told us to build up vocals. Heck, he had some songs already to go by the time the split occurred and it was "natural" for him. For me, I have always wondered why Nimmo had to swim so much, what prompted that insane addiction? What makes Railstin tick, is I guess my major question (insert your character's name there)? I can understand a Prydaen or Rakash hatred for undead, BUT, how many of them actually hunt undead on a regular basis?

Another area you might delve into is your clothing. Do you have a story for your clothes. I even had a story built up for Pep's arzumos theme. It also links him with another of my characters. Don't underestimate, clothes making the man. Pep wears outdoorsy type clothing, Pep in Plat wore more "gentlemanly clothing", expressing his bardic ancestory. For RL example, can you picture Donald Trump in jeans and a T-shirt?

I don't see it as less RPing to play your character as an extension of yourselves. Heck, the great actors become the role they play, all you are doing is becoming your character. I also believe that RPing is something you learn, something you practice. We all make mistakes and over time I believe we most likely become our characters a bit more. Heck, sometimes it's hard to post and not speak like Pep.

There's my take on it. Oh, one last thing, you may have noticed that Pep doesn't speak the same way on the gweth as in person. Pep's struggle with speaking is to do with common and laziness, whereas thinking is done in what I consider his native tongue, so he does it a lot smoother. (of course it takes him a little while to translate your thoughts into his native tongue)

Suggestion: you could play Railstin as a quiet brooding guy, perhaps insanely shy to anyone not Eloth, unless he gets to know you. Then you can't shut him up. I know a few folks like that. Or, play something completly out of the ordinary.

I am Pep-tog. Celebraty.
Striderr says, "You're a Viente Tog!"
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/26/2004 02:04 PM CST
I'd like to add my two cents, as well. Your character can GROW. :) At one time Allegoria got deathly seasick any time she had to ride on a boat. However, piracy and ships have always been something that appealed to me, so when she recruited Maelstrom's crew, she went to an old S'Kra healer on Aesry and got her inner ear fixed, which cured the seasickness. Over the course of six years of playing, she's changed and matured, as people generally do. She's had changes of heart, changes of clothing, and changes of philosophy as well. Her accent has gotten thicker over the recent year or so, as well... a result of her living on Hara'jaal and falling back into the habits of her youth.

I think the point I'm trying to make is, choose how you'd like your character to be... but don't be afraid that changes will "endanger your RP." It won't. Finding you need to change something about your character will help you stretch your imagination to create scenarios that might have happened to bring about that change.

Allegoria

Instigator of Liberation for Hara'Jaal
It's a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere.

"In college, that's a travel. In the NBA, it's a slam dunk." ~ Steve Buchantz
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/26/2004 07:20 PM CST
<<I think the point I'm trying to make is, choose how you'd like your character to be... but don't be afraid that changes will "endanger your RP." It won't. Finding you need to change something about your character will help you stretch your imagination to create scenarios that might have happened to bring about that change.>>

I think this is very wise. Who you are often is what happens to you, and how those things change you. Most interesting too, since you don't "plan" them out.

Lyravkla's player
"Acting is reacting."
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/26/2004 08:42 PM CST
>and the guy who doesn't get favors

Puddle, I think? Or something close to that.

Jalika
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/26/2004 10:05 PM CST
Puddles, I believe.

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S. Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/28/2004 04:13 PM CST
I think its pretty insane to play with no favors just for RP reasons, simple because of the RL time you've put into the character. However, I have chosen to play with only one favor (unless I go to war). This is because Najo abused the favors of the gods early in life making money off the "sacrificial gnome" business. So now he does his best not to call on Glythtide to return him anymore than is necessary. One favor is a more viable option than none in my opinion, but more power the the psycho with none.

I think people who don't go OOC in the game, RP wihtout really trying. A new person who doesn't go OOC roleplays automatically as a new adventurer, often eager for knowledge. A more experienced ranger who doesn't like messing around or talking much, roleplays as aloof and haughty, and more often than not its not a conscious decision.

Stepping it up a notch to roleplay is awesome and I wish everyone would do it, but in a game like this all it really takes to RP is to leave out the mechanics, and to avoid the OOC as much as possible. Be worred that your not your roleplaying enough is something that shouldn't ever occur, just don't go OOC and you've done a good job.

Wow, I'm in a talkative mood today.

-Najo
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/30/2004 09:50 AM CST
>I'm having a hard time figuring out who to be though...Elotheans, by nature, are elusive, studious, and haughty. That doesn't leave much room to stay in character, and kid around at the same time - something I enjoy doing.

I rp my character (elven) as being brought up in the orphanage in Crossing. So he has very few links to his past or culture though he was teased a bit about his coloring as an elf so he knows he is different for some reason. However, he can blame his etiquette or lack thereof on his non-elven upbringing and I can make him how I want him to be without most of the stigma. Also, he looks like a dark elf but never knew what they really were until people asked him if he was one. Though I'm not sure DR has 'dark elf' as a historical race.

Maybe try to rp in this type of fashion? Your character was imprisoned, trapped on an island, was a slave, was kept as a servant, something to keep him unknowing about his ancestry so he doesn't have a complete servitude to what the history books or others thinks he should be like.

Incidentally, that little urchin that sell's tomatos in Crossing is not a little kid. I knew him years ago in the orphanage and he looked like a kid then. He must be some sort of smaller race or a midget.

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/30/2004 11:11 AM CST
>>Though I'm not sure DR has 'dark elf' as a historical race.

It doesn't. The closest types which are in game would be (culturally) Mountain Elves and (physically) Sand Elves.

Information is scarce on all Elven clans, but I'm in the process of compiling what is known and hinted at. Perhaps something there might be of interest to you - http://uk.geocities.com/snurfergal/dr/elves/clans.html

-Evita-
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/30/2004 01:43 PM CST
>>Evita>>The closest types which are in game would be (culturally) Mountain Elves and (physically) Sand Elves.

I'm not all that informed about the elven races, but weren't Bone Elves rather mean and nasty, sort of like a Drow would be?

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/30/2004 02:11 PM CST
From The Elven Folk:

"Bone Elves - Mysterious and feared, Bone Elves carry much of the anguish of the Mountain Elves and have converted it into bitterness and hate. Bone Elves are necromancers and enchanters, destroying for the sake of destruction. Bone Elves despise all things pure and are followers of Huldah and Harawep. Perhaps most frightening is their ability to melt in amongst other Elves -- their only discerning feature is that they are very intolerant to alcohol and shun the light."

"Bone Elves consort with the demonic creatures of other planes, and welcome all and any Elven "undesirables" into their clan, their leader is the original nemesis of Morganae -- an Elf named Sidhlot. Morganae despises Sidhlot since he is one of the first to challenge her "right" to rule the Mountain Elves, and he despises her because she has retained that right over the years. Sidhlot teaches much of his dark magic to the clan members, using this as a shield against dissension. Traitors to the clan are put to a slow, painful death, and their soul passed over to the demonic forces that Sidhlot has bargained with."

~Lieutenant Kyrrian Sarantin, Ilithi Infantry.
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/30/2004 02:36 PM CST
<<destroying for the sake of destruction

Then they must be wolves or human.

Sylvado

"It's not much of an adventure without risk."
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/30/2004 04:48 PM CST
<<destroying for the sake of destruction

<<<Then they must be wolves or human.

Sylvado>>>

Wrong planet. Or at least wrong plane.

Asterid
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/31/2004 07:21 AM CST
Evita, nice gathering of all the Elven info. If I can think of any more items I'll let you know. Where are the Snow Elf locket/Wind Elf necklace from? It might be helpful to include on the site where the items are from (if you can remember). And are you sure the throne/crown items are from Bone Elves? I thought they were from the Celestials, but that was the only symbol I couldn't figure out.

~Thilan
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 03/31/2004 02:49 PM CST
>>Where are the Snow Elf locket/Wind Elf necklace from?
Locket's from Semtrach, the painter/locket maker I believe. The necklace was from the merchant Nyghil. I'll stick that info in right now, while I think of it..

>>And are you sure the throne/crown items are from Bone Elves? I thought they were from the Celestials, but that was the only symbol I couldn't figure out.

That was just a guess - I was wondering the same thing. My reasoning was that the Celestial Elves are a non-cohesive clan at best, and that the Bone Elves fit the throne/power mold a little better. And since the Bone Elves aren't a secret or attempting to be, I wouldn't see a reason why they would not be represented. Then again it was the Celestials who ruled for the Elves during the Seven Star Empire.. But anyway, I'd be happy to hear other's thoughts.

-Evita-
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 04/01/2004 06:46 AM CST
<<But anyway, I'd be happy to hear other's thoughts.>>

So would I, however, this folder is for Roleplaying a Ranger. Elves have our own folder elsewhere. (unless this gets around to talking about how we roleplay our elven rangers)
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 04/02/2004 08:37 AM CST
>Then they must be wolves or human.

>Sylvado

Haha...Ahh sylvado...Sometimes I don't know when you will post something but you do...its just sylvado.

Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 04/02/2004 08:38 AM CST
Evita...maybe its my browser, my eyes, my age, or many other things. I like the colors but its hard to read the elven titles at the top.

Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 04/07/2004 07:34 PM CDT
>I think its pretty insane to play with no favors just for RP reasons...but more power the the psycho with none.

Actually, I enjoy playing a truly eccentric character and really don't mind terribly going back to novice... gives me an insight into what newbies go through and what tweaks have been added for us bottom feeders. There is also an aspect to the game about playing for keeps with only one character... no encounter can ever be taken for granted, and narrow escapes make for truly exciting play.

The rationale I developed for Puddle Stoneskipper (about 5 or 6 years ago now) is this:
He's originally from an obscure halfling village beyond the edges of Elanthia, and wandered into the realms looking for some kind of training to take back to his village, which is constantly under attack. The villagers are barely holding their own because they have few skills to fend for themselves. He can't go back to his village with loyalties to a foreign god.

In the event of an untimely death (5 or 6 now) a namesake shows up to continue the training (and hopefully gets a few items passed on by Sezzes, the paladin who got me in the game to begin with). I asked Rawb to make a 'Puddle Run' once, thinking he died, but Puddle managed to survive that encounter (Thanks, Rawb, for showing up with a good empath).

He always comes back as a ranger, although I did play a halfling barb once for a short while--his primary weapon was a sling. I must be a ranger at heart because I'm not really interested in having Puddle be anything else.

Those who ask about his name are told that his mother gave it to him for always coming in with muddy feet. Puddle is trying to impress his mother by getting a bit of culture by learning a 'moosical' instrument. He sometimes likes to play duets on the barges with other musicians (who hopefully don't let on that he's really a terrible musician).

Someday Puddle is going to make his long way back home as a fully trained Ranger, and take his place in the Circle of Elders.
IRL I've come to dread that day, because he's been so much fun to play.

I've made it to 35th or 36th circle, and may have the little hobbit (he doesn't really like 'halfling'... he insists that he's not half of anything) make the long journey home when he reaches 40th circle.

The first time he made Ranger at 30th was a truly monumental occasion, spiced with an interesting conversation with another true eccentric...um, the ranger with the frozen tuna (Pamelli?). She urged Puddle to go get some favors, and he thought about it, but finally decided to push on to 40. When he reaches 40 someday, who knows, maybe he will just push on to 50?

As my main hobby, this game has been a great counter-point to the real-life challenges I face. I truly appreciate all the rangers and others out there who have hunted and played and helped the novice Puddle along. He's always willing to give smoking lessons (he's a master of all 19 basic figures and desperately looking to learn the new images), and enjoys hunting a little above his level with older players (except for a certain dwarf).

Never feel bad when you see Puddle walk the starry road... he gets to do it all over again!

And thank you too, Sezzes, the palindrome palladin, for years of cheerful patience...and of course my good wife, who puts up with me when I 'have to go feed the raccoon'.

Puddle Stoneskipper

>death is not an option
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 04/08/2004 07:22 AM CDT
<<um, the ranger with the frozen tuna (Pamelli?).>>

Elysane
Re: Roleplaying (moved from Tribute to the Gurus) 04/08/2004 01:16 PM CDT
>>I've made it to 35th or 36th circle, and may have the little hobbit (he doesn't really like 'halfling'... he insists that he's not half of anything)

Taffei calls Krin a "twiceling" so he just calls her a footstool. <smirk> Drives her nuts.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."