Hate to do it... 09/11/2003 11:53 PM CDT
As it says, I've come to the decision that I must break one of the roleplay pieces I work with. I won't say I'm the most talented roleplayer out there and I do slip from time to time, sometimes just flat out screwing up. However, being a longbow wielding, leather wearer just ain't cuttin' it. I am dying too often to stuns because the hand or head gets hit and I get "uber-stunned." Eventhough it shows a lack of roleplay on my personal part, I'm switching to chain. At least my hands and head. No matter how much I try and how hard I work, getting killed because of a LIGHT STUN does no good when I am dead constantly and all the field experience is lost.

Two things need to happen in this case. Being that many of us would prefer to be leather wearers completely, we need the stun factor to be eased on us and/or stuns to be reworked or fixed. The roleplay gets severely affected when the leather we wear doesn't work. On top of wearing a disadvantaged armor, we have to deal with weak protection against stunning.

Time and time again getting stunned "lightly" for many seconds (And yes, I have actually counted them off) only to be stunned again immediately after the stun wears off, then be on my back and dead is taxing on the patience. Especially when in return a leucro gets severely stunned and is out of the stun before I even have a chance to finish loading my longbow (Yes literally and consistently) makes it worse. Why? Because I get hit in the hand and there is only leather there. Or I get hit in the head where there is only leather. So, the only thing I can do about it change the fact that I wear all leather and just give in to chain. Yes it will also push the hindrance on stealth, but I guess I'll have to live with it. Not to mention the fact that the leucro charge is buggy because they don't even have to be moving and will charge from pole, unlike us who have to advance prior to charging if we want.

Don't get me wrong, many things are going well, this is an old issue just like many others, but dying everytime I walk in there has made me intolerant to it so I'll adjust because I must. Hate to adapt to chain and for this reason, but leather isn't protecting from what I need it to.

Makes me curious how many Rangers are wearing leather except head and hand. Erks the RP of it to me I guess, but protection is protection.

Sorry if this isn't close enough to roleplay, I've tried to keep it within the bounds of roleplaying (wearing leather, etc etc) and all that. I do feel it is a quirk in roleplaying though. Being the Hawkman wears leather and is too stubborn previously to change, this will have to change that aspect of the leather wearing longbow wielding persona...

Hawkman

"B. R."
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 12:19 AM CDT
I've always worn full leather and still do. The only times where I might put on some chain gloves or something is when I'm working on some smaller weapons or hunting specific critters like kartais so that I can learn some other stuff on the side. My primary is both ranged and melee (4 rank discrepency). The only times I really get stunned is when I'm fighting stuff a bit over my head or when I'm getting careless with stuff around my skill range. On occasion I might get hit with a lucky shot, but stuns in general are a bit uncommon for me. Perhaps try increasing your stamina?

-Spirit
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 01:09 AM CDT
<<I'm switching to chain>>

Its took you what, 6 years to make this decision?

Stick with leather.

Be Lucky.......Tabac
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 02:34 AM CDT
Try going with chain on the hands only. Maybe get a tanned helm made up for you. That's what I did and the number of stuns went way down. There are some of us that can make pretty decent tanned helms at about the same comparision to the cowls and masks you can buy. Plus they usually weigh less too. Garg and bison both make pretty good helms, bison's the best though.

Bluefalcon
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 08:36 AM CDT
<<I'm switching to chain

Suck it up! Can't picture a ranger clinking through the trees.

Sylvado

"It's not the destinations in life that give us satisfaction, it is the journeys"
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 10:15 AM CDT
I wear chain on my hands and used to on my head till I got a croc/bison helm. Until the gods of tanning give us a better glove pattern or more appropriate skin to make them out of I don't see how you have much choice. The stats on leather gloves just suck WAAAYYYY too much.

Zephy
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 10:16 AM CDT
I'm clinkin' and a clankin' with a pouch full o'coins!

-Jag
>* A swamp troll chops at you. Severely damaging its pike staff against your medium shield but severely damaging your medium shield on its pike staff, you block with a medium shield, happening to do the right thing.
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 10:58 AM CDT
If you feel like the game will be more fun for you in chain hand- and head-gear, go for it. If it makes you feel like a dirty dirty RP-er, go back to leather. No one here is an actual "Ranger" so no one's going to be terribly offended that you have dishonored the gods of leather or anything.

Personally, I play in leather body armor and light plate gauntlets and helm. I wore them because I thought they fit my guy and because I liked the idea of training another armor. Since wearing them, I've noticed my stuns are very reduced (positive) but learning stealth skills is like pulling teeth (negative). It all comes down to what is the most fun for you, whether that's all heavy plate or running around butt-naked. Huzzah!

Arcelebor
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 11:42 AM CDT
Hawkman,

I started using chain hand gear ages ago and have never regretted it. I barely have a third of the ranks of LC that I do of leather, but it seems to be enough most of the time. Ask around, get a nice set of forged gloves, and if you're really concerned about the RP aspect.. well when my RL husband was in Iraq every bit of metal they had was blacked. I sort of imagine mine as being blackened chain over leather which accounts for lack of noise and sparklies. :)

Allegoria

Instigator of Liberation for Hara'Jaal

"...perfumed, on a light mount."

"A woman."

"A herald."

"It's a silk-swaddled messnger boy"
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 11:45 AM CDT
What about increasing stamina and/or discipline? Don't one or both of those reduce the chance and/or time of a stun?

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Hate to do it... 09/12/2003 03:12 PM CDT
I switched to a 5-armor setup but quickly ditched the HP/LP head/neck gear, the hinderance wasn't worth it. But I have stuck with my LC/HC hand/leg gear, and have suffered far fewer stuns in the process.

If Jent wants me to wear all leather then he can get me an anti-stun like the Paladins have. They wear plate, for crying out loud, what do THEY need it for? <mutter>

I do carry leather gloves and greaves with me for when I am going on a full-out sniping run though. That way I ditch the metal penalties to stealth but don't leave my hands/legs totally unarmored ... that was really starting to get dangerous when you get caught at pole and a leucro charges. Seems like they instantly target unarmored areas, just like they automatically go for tended wounds.

Whis is ridiculous, IMHO ... head and hands should be a VERY difficult target, they are far too easy to hit in DR. For reasons of both realism AND playability. And that doesn't even go into the mental image of a high-jumping leucro going for the head of a 7-foot-plus tall Kaldaran when a standard charge is usually aimed at center mass or even the legs.

I would gladly accept a penalty to using a longbow while wearing any sort of hand armor other than leather if, in exchange, they made it very unlikely the hands would get hit. Well, that and they assess to see just how badly leather protection for hands, head, and legs (greaves ... I need greaves as long as a coat protects better than full leathers, which also makes no sense) STINK.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
Re: Hate to do it... 09/14/2003 06:38 PM CDT
I share your sense of frustration.

One more death today in leucs from a "barely stunned" hit to hands, and then too imbalanced to retreat when I shook it off. I'd be slightly happier with either the easy stuns or the difficult retreat, but together, they're deadly. And I've worked stamina to my second highest stat with discipline the thrid. I was working all leather today after a long time mixed LC/Leather. The trade off is simply not worth it. Especially since I can learn stealth with little penalty (relative to senseless and time expensive death).

Back to the LC accessories while I wait and hope for a GM to get this more balanced. I can live with the current situaiton fine....but "Jent says train leather" is not for me.

Balthea
Re: Hate to do it... 09/14/2003 10:01 PM CDT
We "should" be getting an ability to make our leather better "soon" from what I hear.
In other words... we MIGHT get something to help, but it'll take bloody forever.

Xelten Tyrsin
Jent says, "You should train leather."

Falk's Book of Champions
http://www.legends-end.com/Tourney/LE-DR-FBC.htm
Re: Hate to do it... 09/15/2003 10:41 AM CDT
<<We "should" be getting an ability to make our leather better "soon" from what I hear.

Should leather ever protect as well as chain? If not then what attributes should be improved so that the top tanners have something to look forward to? We have an open ended system but hinderance is gone very early since it approaches zero as you improve and you can't keep getting better after that and protection approaches chain and plate and if you can make leather as good as chain and plate why even have chain and plate?

Sylvado

"It's better to burnout than fade away"
Re: Hate to do it... 09/15/2003 02:57 PM CDT
>>Sylvado

Actually I was referring to the RUMOR of a POTENTIAL (have to keep emphasizing the fact that I don't think it'll happen in the near future) beseech/spell that makes our leather become wood or something like that for a short amount of time.

Xelten Tyrsin
Jent says, "You should train leather."

Falk's Book of Champions
http://www.legends-end.com/Tourney/LE-DR-FBC.htm
Re: Hate to do it... 09/15/2003 10:10 PM CDT
There are two ways you can do this Hawkman. Be yourself, or be everyone else.

Whenever you are faced with a decision to RP or not, if you chose to continue the RP of your true nature, you have become what few here can ever be, yourself. Regardless of how major, or minute the choice is, being yourself matters more then taking the easy ideas that most would follow. I have worn Blackened Mail Gloves since before you could even learn multi armor that way. I consider myself one with the blade, I am the blade, the steel extends farther then the blade, the pain that extends from the devastation that is my will runs deeper then the desire to even breathe. Those gloves brings the steel even closer to my depths, and for that they stay.

Or, you can take what I call the *Solomon way*, which means the *I give up way*. When faced with constant still true to this day complaints from numerous people about how the gweth is nearly always ooc, his response, "Times change". Translation, I give up.

Now, what are you going to do, warrior. Its time for you to hear your two favorite words be told to you, and you will listen.

B.R.

Signed,
The shield crafter
Harome, until our next encounter
Re: Hate to do it... 09/16/2003 02:02 AM CDT
Dunno, personally while I've trained other armors to ardent levels, its more out of a desire to be at least somewhat knowledgable about all skills then to use them as primary armors. Yes I take the occasional stun from crappy leather accesory protection, but I've developed a few strategies to avoid dying when this happens. First off, don't let your other defenses fall too far behind, when you are off balance or stunned, yer evasion ain't gonna do much good, and if yer parry/shield is way behind yer evasion ya prolly gonna be toast. I've gone from a 60+ gap parry to evasion to less then 40 and I've noticed a huge difference in the amount of survival time I have following a stun. Usually leaving me time to retreat/blend/hide etc. Obviously this doesn't really apply if you are getting stunned using a bow. Best thing I've found to date for that is go get yaself a moonmage to enchant a ring for ya. 20p but more then worthwhile for the safetynet it provides. Go ask Kiluminati to make one fer ya, and tell him I sent ya (maybe I'll get a discount on my next one lol). Anyhow armor is entirely a personal choice, but I've never seen myself as wearing anything but leather on a regular basis.

Rej

"There are only two kinds of archers - snipers and targets"
Re: Hate to do it... 09/16/2003 02:16 PM CDT
Very nicely put, Harome. A philosophy I can definitely agree with.

I dedicated myself as an archer long before there were tools such as sniping. I even dedicated myself to stealth. In this case, the dedication paid off ... skill with a bow and stealth has its rewards now. There are still too few reasons to have terrain skills such as swimming, climbing and scouting. Not enough areas that people truly want to reach but stand in awe at the natural barriers which only a master of crossing them can overcome.

But I stand by what drives my character and as a player I hope that someday that diligence will be rewarded too.

As for armor, yes, I switched to chain for hands and legs but the majority of my armor is leather and always will be. When sniping I switch to all leather unless the quarry is so relatively easy that metal will suffice. Hopefully someday the GM's will look at why a leather-wearer would NEED metal on hands, legs and head (I refuse the head armor though) and do something about it. My hope is still that the first step will be examining why it is so easy to hit a hand or leg in the first place, second step would be to reassess why they would so easily yield a stun when hit.

But until then I will stay true to my character as much as I can.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
Re: Hate to do it... 09/16/2003 03:19 PM CDT
Well, let's see...

I am an Elven Ranger who has, until now, been bathed in a sea of leather armour. It's nice for skulking around, but sucks when a blunt object connects in "just that way" to suddenly make your chest concave.

I am changing to light chain to see if it is any better. Do I feel I am not RPing a ranger? Not in the least. IN fact, perhaps more so than if I stayed with leather despite my "better judgement". My character likes to hide and sneak and all that other stuff that Kalika tells us we have to like. But, more importantly, he likes to live. Now, I have not died in a VERY long time and have nowhere near the amount of deaths on my roster as some (I've had this character for YEARS - 5 deaths) and I don't really want to add to that number - especially since the Clerics haven't found their goblet or whatever that Sorrow stole... at least, I think that's the story.

Point of fact is this: No one can tell you how to RP your character for the simple fact that it is your character. Sure, there are certain rules and guidelines that affect us all, but that in no way inhibits you from playing your character the way you want.

Point: My Elven Ranger is, as I said, changing to chain armour. However, taking into consideration that stealth is still a factor he is getting the metal dyed black. Will that help ability wise? Probably not, but RP wise I think it's right on the money.

Another point: I have a cleric (name withheld) that is Gorbesh. Not Kaldar, but Gorbesh. Now, although she is a cleric, she has warrior blood and tends to lose her temper a tad too much (a LOT of time spent at the altar afterwards) and she has a deep memory... if someone were to wrong her, she WILL remember that person and, should there come a time when they need help she may be less than sympathetic (MORE time at the altar).

Is this the best way to play a cleric? Maybe not, but it makes her unique? and individual. The worst thing one can do as far as RP goes is play a "cookiecutter" character... one just like anyone else...

Anyway, them?s ny 2 bits. Feel free to agree or disagree as you see fit.

~The only good Swamp Troll is one that makes you breakfast in the morning. Other than that, it's a dead Swamp Troll~

~ Kaeson Avient'iel - bemused, confused, abused - Ranger at large ~
Re: Hate to do it...But I'll continue this rant 09/17/2003 02:02 AM CDT
I can't agree more with the comment of:

Point of fact is this: No one can tell you how to RP your character for the simple fact that it is your character. Sure, there are certain rules and guidelines that affect us all, but that in no way inhibits you from playing your character the way you want.

I'm not going to go on some rant about how your character "should be an extension of yourself" and how "you have to follow the rules of the race/guild" because that's just damned boring. To me atleast. We have enough structure with gaining ranks and certain amount of ranks equaling a circle or an ability we gain. I don't want to have to worry about lossing a bonus for wandering around town for a while or being un-Rangerly for doing something that I think fits my character at the time. For some, play yer character that way. THAT'S WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! But for me... I want to enjoy what I'm doin...
Re: Hate to do it...But I'll continue this rant 09/17/2003 09:16 AM CDT
That was my point, exactly. By rules, I meant the obvious: keep OOC talk to a whisper and such...

~The only good Swamp Troll is one that makes you breakfast in the morning. Other than that, it's a dead Swamp Troll~

Re: Hate to do it...But I'll continue this rant 09/17/2003 04:30 PM CDT
Chain gives you a rash... stick with leather.

Tusca

You say you'll change the constitution,
Well, you know,
We all want to change your head.
You tell me its the institution,
Well, you know,
You better free your mind instead.
Re: Hate to do it...But I'll continue this rant 09/17/2003 04:46 PM CDT
Heh...

Y'know... I thought aobut this and was struck by the proverbia "D'oh!"

I have come to a point in my training where I need armour to circle... starting a new amrour now will result in a LONG time before I can circle... so maybe I will get a metal helm to train whilst still keeping leather... it's my face that gets the brunt of attacks anyway...

Re: Hate to do it...But I'll continue this rant 09/18/2003 07:55 AM CDT
I love my chain gloves, and I'm not learning leather any slower by wearing them (or dying as often from hits to the hands). I started wearing them to hunt at level at around 90 ranks of LC.

~Dulcinia

You struggle with your small crack but that doesn't seem to do anything.
Re: Hate to do it...But I'll continue this rant 09/18/2003 08:30 AM CDT
I might get gloves... but not the hauberk....

Re: Hate to do it... 09/19/2003 03:18 PM CDT
>Should leather ever protect as well as chain?

In DR? That depends on the GM consensus.

Irl, leather can protect better in some circumstances. Boiled leather can protect like a lightweight plate. Chain by itself is not good at defending against puncture weapons. It is also easier to fix leather in the field bringing it back to its full protection (depending on the fix location).

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Hate to do it... 09/19/2003 03:30 PM CDT
<<fix leather in the field

We can only hope.

Sylvado

"It's better to burnout than fade away"
Re: Hate to do it... 09/23/2003 11:17 PM CDT
I wear leather armor on the body and head, Light plate gauntlets on the hand. Don't die often, been wearin' light plate for a long time now and gonna stick with it regardless of 'penalties' I might get nailed with. <shrug>

~Akashera

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness; Nothing is so gentle as real strength."
De Sales
Re: Hate to do it... 12/13/2003 01:30 PM CST
I've been wearing light chain guantlets for about a year and a half. I've also been trying to learn parry more consistently and have noticed quite a positive difference with that preventing stun deaths.

Oh yeah and I always hunt with my IG wife/RL girlfriend, thats the best tool to keeping you safe after a stun!

Nasrid