Shadow Clan/Adan'f and all that jazz 01/16/2003 01:39 PM CST
Okay so I read that thing and it doesn't say much about shadowclan. Actually it doesn't say much except Rangers hunting in Adan'f or watching things and uniting. My question is this, if them priest things were formed of life magic why don't they use life magic attacks. Don't they use that danged moon magic stuff?

In any event is there anything more regarding this shadow clan stuff, and things about them elves making the Skra. Now that is wonderful. Now I can say, I brought you into this world Snake, I can take you out.

In any event, this whole thing surrounding Rangers and Elves i really like. Someone throw me a bone here so I can go nibble so more.

Arctuniol

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"
Re: Shadow Clan/Adan'f and all that jazz 01/16/2003 02:39 PM CST
>>Okay so I read that thing and it doesn't say much about shadowclan. Actually it doesn't say much except Rangers hunting in Adan'f or watching things and uniting. My question is this, if them priest things were formed of life magic why don't they use life magic attacks. Don't they use that danged moon magic stuff?

Arct, that ranger was apparently a clansmen that wrote that book. By priest I assume you mean the Dragon Priests, or as we rangers refer them, the Distorters. It's my understanding that DP use Necromancy, which if you follow the magic theory threads, you'd see that it is a mix of two manas, one being either Life(rangers) or Holy (paladins) combined with either Lunar or Elemental mana. As to why Shadow Mages use some Moon Mage spells, probably due to the designers whim, but with the changes to magic you can look at it this way: If you know how to mix life and lunar magic, you should seemingly be able to use one seperately also. Which if I'm not mistaken is what the Adan'f do. They use both Necromancy and it's derivatives(Shadow Tend(Corruption Necromancy) and Mental Blast(Lunar Magic)).

>>In any event, this whole thing surrounding Rangers and Elves i really like. Someone throw me a bone here so I can go nibble so more.

Don't just see it as a ranger and elves thing. Historically Shadow Clan is HUMAN, but I'm sure over the years the ranks have grown to include other races. And the reference to elves is probably more a historical and regional one in that elves seem to have the closest link to the manipulation of life mana, represented in abililties such as lifescuplture which is shown in the elven citadel and other things that are more rumor than fact. If you're looking for alot more information about the Clan though, I unfortunately cannot refer you to more sources due to the lack of sources to refer.

Hopefully more will begin to appear now, and perhaps Tomma or Lady Snow hint hint might know something about the clan since they're the province's head leaders for the two guilds primarily in the clan.

Kaun

P.S. With the new development to Shadow Clan, would it perhaps be possible to have one of the members of the clan meet me to fix my ring and tanning pouch to actually fit in with the plans for the Clan rather than what it already has. If more information is needed you can just look me up I'm usually under the gondola or in pards.
Re: Shadow Clan/Adan'f and all that jazz 01/16/2003 06:19 PM CST
Ok

Shadow Clan was estabilished by Alec. They were a group of human rangers and rogue paladins (or maybe they were rouge paladins you never know with them). This would put the start of SC at about 20-25 AV. This is according to Silvyrlock.

There was also a story by Cardian Allbright in an edition of the Elanthian Wandering Journal some time back called "The Black Hand Diaries", I can't find a copy but if someone else can dig it up it would be nice to post here. I had intergrated that tale into my history years ago when we had a folder for our own histories.

Sylvado

"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths."
Re: Shadow Clan/Adan'f and all that jazz 01/16/2003 07:36 PM CST
A quick reference. Here's a bit from a book full of good history regarding that period. I'm still looking for the Diary...

First from "Shard History" written by the Wanderer Silvyrlock:

............Chapter Three, Page Eight

Alec was a figure of whom little was known. Claiming to be Corik's son -- and never speaking the name of his mother -- he rallied the Elothean people, struck a new peace with the Mountain Elves, and routed the remaining Dragon Priests from Shard. He then set about rebuilding the city with an iron fist. Supported by the Elven Council and most especially Morganae -- who has been called the "true ruler" of the Elven people, if only from the shadows of her silver throne -- he managed to set much of Shard back to order before his death and the rise of his daughter, Kukalakai.

During Alec's time, he confirmed and supported a group of Humans who moved to his region, a mixture of Rangers and rogue Paladins who named themselves "Shadow Clan". Gruff and unforgiving, the clan is the only thing that keeps at bay the Black Hand and the horrors it contains.
Re: Shadow Clan/Adan'f and all that jazz 01/16/2003 08:20 PM CST
>>I had intergrated that tale into my history years ago when we had a folder for our own histories.

>>Sylvado

You know this is something I've been wandering about. What is everyone's histories? I guess I can go first and give you mine. Below is a telling of my life. If you feel inclined read it. It explains why I'm into Shadow Clan so much:

The story of my life isn't a very special one. In fact I don't think it's even worth telling at times. But, my story must be told. It must be remembered by all that love the land of Ilithi. I'll start from the beginning.

I was born Kaun Enert on the 37th day of the 8th month of Skullcleaver the Dwarven Axe in the year of the Emerald Dolphin, 334 years after the victory of Lanival the Redeemer. My father, Enshaw Enert, was a merchant by trade. My family lived in the outpost of Langenfirth, where my father bought and sold furs to the local population. We lived a peaceful life with my older brother, Enshaw Jr., and my mother, Alice. That is until the Gorbesh came.

You see, before the Gorbesh, my brother and I would play in the forest outside the outpost of Langenfirth. Sometimes even practicing the little bit of magic that my brother knew. Enshaw, you must understand, was a Moon Mage. He had joined the guild against my fathers better judgment when he was of age. I myself was not old enough to decide to join a guild yet. But, I had really wanted to be like my brother and join the Moon Mage Guild. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to follow those dreams. The Gorbesh arrived five months before my 18th birthday.

When the Gorbesh arrived, my brother joined the forces to repel them. He was a scout in the war that followed, using his ability to bend light around him to observe the leadership of the Gorbesh, and then reporting back what he had observed. The Gorbesh, unfortunately, discovered about those like my brother and set out to find and kill them. Frightened by the news that a bounty had been placed on his head, my brother return home. But, the Gorbesh didn't stop. They tracked my brother to our home. Finding him with us, they dragged us out of our home. My father pleaded to the commander.

"Sir, please do not hurt my family. We are but simple people. We do not fight against you and your people. My son was only doing as young ones do, by acting with his heart and not his mind. Please, do not kill him. I promise he will not act against you again."

The Gorbesh commander ignored my father's plea. He had my brother kill in front of our eyes. My father, having seen the death of his oldest son, lashed out at the commander. The commander quickly dodged my fathers attack, then jabbed a slender dagger through his abdomen. My father fell to the group dying. Having killed both my brother and mortally wounding my father, the Gorbesh left. The sight of my family dead or dying was too much for me to take. I ran into our home searching for a weapon to use to attack those that had killed my family. My mother, also heartsick from the sight, ran in after me.

She ran into her and my father's room and quickly pushed the bed out of the center of the room. Under the bed was a door. My mother reached into her dress to pull out a small strangely shaped key that she kept around her neck. Opening the door, I was completely surprised. Inside was a complete set of armor made of leather, an ironwood longbow, and an ironwood ring. Mother then motioned me to come to her. See began to tell me of a family secret that had been passed on from back during the times of the Dragon Priest. She began:

"Kaun, I want to tell you of one of your ancestor. His name was Narazu. He was a very skilled and powerful man. He walked in nature unnoticed as a Ranger. Having lived most of his life in this province, he traveled to Ilithi during the war with the Dragon Priest. Together he and others like him include some of the Paladin Guild stood to protect Ilithi and these lands north of Ilithi from the evil of a place called the Dark Hand. Many a battle did he fight in, and many a foe did he kill. After awhile, this group came to be known as the Shadow Clan. Pledging to protect the land from the Dark Hand and those from there."

"This armor here is his armor. This ring here, his.... It was these things that were to be passed down, to be used to continue his pledge to protect the lands. Your father did not feel it was worth the trouble, and your brother had followed his own path. So, now I am left with only one son. I want you to take and use these things to continue, Narazu's pledge. I know you may not want to do anything but seek vengeance, but I know it is time to bestow these items upon you. For you see, the Gorbesh have also come from the south of Ilithi. I do not know if they have the same ideals as the Dragon Priest, or other. But I can not go to find out myself."

"Go, seek out Guildmaster Tolle, at the Ranger Guild. Tolle will inform you with more information. Now, GO!"

And with that I gathered the equipment, and ran to find Tolle. After finding Tolle, and joining the Ranger Guild, I journeyed to the Crossing where the main Gorbesh force was located. The war was brutal and I was ill prepared. All I knew was two things, I hated the Gorbesh that had killed my father and brother, and I was to fulfill my ancestors pledge. And with that I guide my life.

I never found that commander that ordered and killed my family, but I killed many a Gorbesh looking. Now the Gorbesh are gone and I am left with my ancestors pledge. After much thought, I changed my surname to Narazu, to remind my offspring of the pledge we must uphold.

Kaun Narazu, Shadow Clan descendent
Re: Shadow Clan/Adan'f and all that jazz 01/16/2003 10:08 PM CST
I have no real history, don't remember much.

I do plan on getting into this shadow clan thing pretty heavily. I really am quite intrigued by it.

Arctuniol

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"