Addressing a different topic found within a Dead Thread 07/11/2002 10:09 AM CDT
<<<...beseech the wind to preserve. Minimum align is not 25 it is 30,>>>-Charlize

Spoken with such authority. Has it occured to you that with some rangers the minimum might be 25 and with others it might be 30?

I KNOW "my" minimum is 25 because I did some tests while teaching a horse for 2 hours. For me, there was no difference in preservation time between a 25 beseech and a 40 beseech. I even used a control piece of meat that was unpreserved to see if any changes happened in unpreserved meats.

Now if it's 30 for you, you should be asking "why am I seeing a difference?" rather than unilaterally declaring "25 is not the number." Or have you forgotten that spells "grow with us?" Why cannot a beseech do the same? But there could be other factors, too.

If it's one thing I've learned in this game...if you speak as an absolute authority with hard numbers (like 30 vs 25) for all players, you're gonna get smacked down and embarrased at some point. That's why car manufacturers print "Your mileage may vary." I can only say that mine was 25 for that day under those circumstances...it could be that in a more urban area or if my attunement with nature isn't pristine, I have to pump in more spirit points. Heck, anyone check time of day and year? Probably not.

Yesterday, someone asked me IG, point-blank, how many ranks it took to remove a bloodworm. I tried to work out an answer that was truly correct, but in an RP setting...because I suspect ALL of the following are contributing factors for ranger sucess...mech, skinning, first aid, bonus, animal lore AND (possibly) an IG puzzle/secret.

But that person wanted a 'hard' first aid number and was getting increasing irate that I couldn't give one. My first aid skill was irrelevant to the answer, because these critters, for the most part, are 'beneath' me (especially if I'm right about the puzzle). That person stormed off before I could mention any of my research in the area. Their loss for not sitting still and RPing it out.

Hard number 'absolutes' are the BANE of RPing. I'd fully expect GMs to routinely throw in curve balls. For instance, as far as charisma and animal lore, have you cross-referenced your assertions by race? I haven't, I don't think anyone has stepped forward with that type of data, either. So who can say with absolute certainty that those wolf "reqs" do not vary by player race (animalistic races receiving a bonus or penalty)...or maybe more animal lore compensates for low charisma and visa versa? The best things in cases like that is to label the 'reqs' as approximate guidelines and move on...

Anyway, I'm not writing this to tick you off...just to wise you up that all is not as it appears when you quote a hard number anymore. And my guess is that as GMs start to fully employ formulas with multiple skill/race/guild factors, it's going to get damn near impossible to understand why some people can create something at a given rank...and others can't.

But it will make for some interesting RP, so skoal! (Swedish equivalent of Have Fun!)

Shendorian
("Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."--A. Lincoln)
Re: Addressing a different topic found within a Dead Thread 07/11/2002 12:33 PM CDT
>>Spoken with such authority. Has it occured to you that with some rangers the minimum might be 25 and with others it might be 30?

Before i posted my numbers I had a few other people try it at 25, one of them was Fengreve, I should hope at his level he has what it requires to get a minimum alignment of 25, but if people ARE in fact getting it at 25, maybe there are other factors, such as how deep in the wilderness my friends were when they tried it. But i know i asked a few people, and myself, and anytime I've ever used it in the wilderness I had to use 30. Your post won't tick me off, I wanted people to look into these things, I even said If you think I'm wrong I might be, but the numbers in her handbook aren't anymore correct, there are "hard" numbers posted in there as minimums that won't work for everyone and will cause people to fail. And this wasn't my biggest issue with the site anyways, this whole thing started as an RP issue, and if you read her stories, she copied one from an OOC movie subplot, which I dont consider to be the role model for RP, and her log of Kalika where she was clearly asked not to speak about the whole situation being posted in the handbook for everyone to see, which I said from an RP standpoint showed a betrayal of the very leader who appointed her.

I knew I might be wrong when I posted it, I even said that somewhere in the middle, but I also know her numbers weren't right for everyone, and it'd be nice to see them adjusted or an explanation, that it could be between 25 and 30, or that you could need between 15 and 18 charisma to get a wolf.

Anyways if you want to continue a discussion beseeches or companions we should probably move it. I'm not gonna get ticked off by anyone telling me they get different results with beseeches and companions, I just won't like seeing them on your website if your claiming yourself to be a guildleader for all the new rangers (who might get different resultes than you) as for the RPing a guildleader situation I think I heard that's over.

-Charlize
Re: Addressing a different topic found within a Dead Thread 07/11/2002 12:37 PM CDT
25 is the magic number for me as well.

Dulcinia
Re: Addressing a different topic found within a Dead Thread 07/11/2002 12:40 PM CDT
25 works for me to.

Arctuniol
Re: Addressing a different topic found within a Dead Thread 07/11/2002 12:51 PM CDT
Shendorian, this still isn;t the right place for this. Take it ovver to "Spells and Beseeches", it has nothing to do with roleplaying.

Either that or ... do we still have a "Ranger Web Pages" folder?

~~~Krin
Re: Addressing a different topic found within a Dead Thread 07/11/2002 12:58 PM CDT
<<Either that or ... do we still have a "Ranger Web Pages" folder?

You wouldn't think to doubt a statement that I made, would you?

Sylvado
Re: Addressing a different topic found within a Dead Thread 07/11/2002 01:01 PM CDT
>>Sylvado>>You wouldn't think to doubt a statement that I made, would you?

Oops, heh. Not doubted, just must have missed it while reading in a hurry.

~~~Krin
Re: Addressing a different topic found within a Dead Thread 07/17/2002 06:23 AM CDT
Interesting post but I just want to look at one piece of it.

>so skoal! (Swedish equivalent of Have Fun!)

Really? So that snuff/chewing tobbacco <sp? named Skoal is probably why its that name. Not that I chew...just interesting.

Sylviir

I tried it once and it gave me a buzz but got me queasy too.