Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/21/2010 09:34 PM CST
Ladies and Gentleman!

After discussing with my team, as well as the beautiful SGM Audacia, and taking multiple polls from y'all, we've decided that the main event hosted on 4/04 will be the 2010 Naked Ranger Race.

That's right racers! It's almost time to get buck naked and buck wild!

In the interest of being fair, as well as giving people PLENTY of time to blow holes in my rules, I'll post them now, so y'all can gripe, complain, and otherwise nitpick them for the next 2 months.

So here they are (subject to editting and change.)

Rules-

Theft:

Rangers MAY steal things from shops. NO racer may steal coin, items, skins, or anything else of value. Anyone caught doing so will be disqualified from the race.

Combat:

NO RACER may initiate combat with other racers. Slowing or stopping another racer, using NON VIOLENT means, is allowed.
Non-violent means involve Harawep's Bonds (so long as the players are not in a hunting ground), or any other spell that
does not cause harm, both physically or spiritually.

Any player found to be initiating combat/killing other racers will be shunned, shamed, disqualified, and most likely jailed.

Travel:

Rangers may travel via any means of natural travel, up to and including ranger trails, swimming rivers/lakes, climbing, or public transportation (ferries, gondola, etc.)
*NO RANGER, AT ANY TIME, MAY BYPASS NATURAL OBSTACLES BY TRACKING A WOLF, UTILIZING A MOONGATE, OR BY USING A PRIVATE BOAT.
THIS INCLUDES RENTING A BOAT FROM RIVERHAVEN TO LANGENFIRTH, OR VICE VERSA. YOU MAY NOT UTILIZE A PTM, FOR ANY PURPOSE, DURING THE RACE*

Brackets:

Brackets are set up as follows. These are, of course, subject to change based on actual participation on the day of the race.

1-20
21-40
41-60
61-80
81-100
100+

Tasks will be given at each checkpoint, and each task will vary, bracket to bracket. I promise, there won't be any screw ups with
63rd circle rangers trying to brawl a basilisk this time around. :)

That's the general guidelines. Anyone have anything to add?

No Ranger Stands Alone.

MM2/SS, USN
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/22/2010 10:19 AM CST
I think you should allow PTMs and Wolf tracking just because anyone dumb enough to use these methods during a race where speed counts should be able to shoot themselves in the foot and use the slowest method of travel possible. Also PTMs and Wolves can't bypass barriers anyway so that rule is needlessly redundant (just like saying needlessly redundant).

I don't know how you handled this last time, but could you have the GMs set up the arrest-sack mechanics to let us strip down and redress quickly? If not I'll just go get arrested anyway, but I figured I'd ask.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/22/2010 08:52 PM CST
Last time, I just had everyone show up nekkid.

As for PTMs and Wolves, I've never personally used either of these methods, but it was mentioned to me during the previous race (and a few times since) that these needed to be outlawed, so I added it to the list. I was not aware a wolf or a PTM couldnt bypass barriers

Nother thing to add to my list, i guess.

No Ranger Stands Alone.

MM2/SS, USN
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/23/2010 06:06 AM CST
>As for PTMs and Wolves, I've never personally used either of these methods, but it was mentioned to me during the previous race (and a few times since) that these needed to be outlawed, so I added it to the list.

Much like stealing, why outlaw ranger capabilities? If you have gone through the pain of raising a wolf to the point you can track it and that is something you feel you need to do in the race... Why not? And if you have the skill to make a PTM during the course of the race and use it, why not?

-pete
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/23/2010 01:39 PM CST
I re-read my post about stealing, and realized I hadn't posted what I actually intended to post. Brain working 900mph, typing fingers only working 50.

Anywho, to claify on stealing-

Players may steal items, etc from shops to use during the race. Players may not steal from other players (skins, coins, kills, etc etc)

And as for PTMs and wolves, if you take the time to set one up during the race, you're shooting yourself in the foot. If you take the time to set it up before the race, it's cheating.

So, to re-iterate: Stealing from shops OK. Stealing from players Not OK. Using wolves and PTMs: Not OK.

Clear?

No Ranger Stands Alone.

MM2/SS, USN
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/26/2010 07:53 AM CST
Still against the stealing thing, We're Rangers not Thieves, there's a guild for that.

I realize everyone disagrees because stealing is accepted by the guildmasters (another mistake IMHO) but that's a moral/RP issue not a mechanics/gameplay one
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/26/2010 09:29 AM CST
>Still against the stealing thing, We're Rangers not Thieves, there's a guild for that.

>I realize everyone disagrees because stealing is accepted by the guildmasters (another mistake IMHO) but that's a moral/RP issue not a mechanics/gameplay one

Would your opinion change if you were able to steal from creatures?
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/26/2010 09:34 AM CST
IC by and large athanasius has a problem with the idea of stealing from anyone of noble character and virtue. However, because more than one shop keeper has proven to lake both qualities, he has no problem with the fact that some rangers are rather adept at being quick handed.

OOC: I know a man who, when he was young, was among the top 3 safe crackers in the united states. 2 of them spent most of their lives in prison. He spent his in relative comfort. That comfort was a result of a decision to train and use his ability for morally acceptable reasons rather than use his ability to steal.

Having and training a skill does not make one a bad person.

Back to IC: it will be a LOT easier to RP athans take on stealing when they roll out stealing from monsters.
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/26/2010 09:52 AM CST
>Still against the stealing thing, We're Rangers not Thieves, there's a guild for that.

I disagree. Rangers are nice because they can train anything they want to and aren't pigeonholed into any one stereotype. They are a "jack of all trades".

Your statement would be tantamount to saying a ranger should only uses a stick bow and stealth for combat imo.

If a ranger is willing to train up 500 stealing, why shouldn't they be allowed to put it to use because someone feels it doesn't fit a certain stereotype?

Also: nothing says rangers have to follow any real moral code; at least nothing I ever noticed from the guild leaders, maybe missed something?
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/26/2010 01:18 PM CST
I always got the impression that Marion was a Thief who became a Ranger.

I am all for anything that promotes unorthodox play-styles for any Guild.
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/26/2010 01:42 PM CST
<<I always got the impression that Marion was a Thief who became a Ranger

Ya. I've always had that feeling too. Of course, Marion loves me, so he cant be all that bad. Ask him about me sometime.

Falker
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/26/2010 08:31 PM CST
Not really, but again that's an RP thing not a guild advancement thing.

besides, it's easier to get what you need from a critter when they're dead :)
Re: Ranger Event (4/04/10) 01/27/2010 01:28 PM CST
>besides, it's easier to get what you need from a critter when they're dead :)

Depends how good you are on taking vs. killing.

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.