New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/06/2009 07:42 PM CDT
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! To all interested Rangers, ruffians, and other scrappy-looking folk! The next Naked Ranger Race will be held on the 19th of September, 2009. The time is not yet confirmed, though it's looking like early afternoon/evening time frame.

In order to relive some of the stresses of the last race, the rules will be posted now. These are not set in stone, and please, feel free to throw ideas out there so I can address them, change/modify the rules, or add things as necessary.

Basic rules:

Players will be divided into brackets based on circle. Tentatively, the brackets will be 1-20, 21-40, 41-60, 61-80, 81-100, and 101+

Each player will have requirements based on their circle, and hopefully, there won't be a 'woops' this time where a 42nd ranger is trying to hunt a basilisk.

As it stands right now, anything goes, survival wise, for all brackets except the 1-20 bracket. This bracket will take all barges and ferries, will not climb the undergondola or swim rivers. I limit this bracket only because it makes a level playing field. A level 10 ranger can't run a trail (typically) but a level 19 can.

All other brackets (i.e. any player over 21rst circle) may climb the undergondola, swim any and all rivers, and run trails.

Theft: the question on stealing has arisen several times. So, I address it now. You may not steal from other racers during the race. You may NOT steal their ferry coin or anything else. However, if you choose to steal items from the local shops, you may. Mind you, you'll lose time on the race doing so, but it might help you in the long run.

Combat: You may NOT use a spell to harm another racer. You may use branch break, harawep's bonds, and any other disabling spell to slow a racer down. HOWEVER, as a stipulation, you may NOT do so in a hunting area. I will not have player 1 web player 2 while he's in combat, just to watch a critter kill player 2. Anyone caught doing so will be disqualified immediately. But feel free to trip up other racers to gain an edge.

Moongates are NOT authorized. TRACKing your wolf across rivers etc is again NOT authorized.

Now, like I said, this is the general, basic, changing-at-will rule set. Please, helpful feedback or odd questions are always welcome.

As for prizes, while leathers and bows are always a good idea, does anyone else have any suggestions?

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 01:57 AM CDT
Still think september is way too soon. The ranger race will lose a lot of it's flare and wont seem as special of an event if it happens too often. Also, GMs might not be as willing to step in and help out, or send in alterers, etc, if it seems like we are having them all the time. 1-2 times a year (real life year) should be what you limited it to. Think of it like the olymipics. It only happens once every 4 years. (Yes I know its every two years with winter and summer swapping.) Or the Super Bowl (once a year). If they happened all the time, it wouldnt be such a big event. You will also have a very hard time coming up with something new and fresh, if you do it too often. You will start having to over-lap some of the quests/puzzles and then it really will have lost it's flare.

I'm glad you've decided to champion the race and seem to enjoy setting it up (we need more people willing to do that), but take my advice and put off the next race a little longer. I would say Dec. or Jan. at the earliest.

Falker
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 02:03 AM CDT
Unfortunately, due to multiple scheduling conflicts between myself and our friendly neighborhood GMs, if we don't do it that weekend in September, it'll be February/March or later before I can host the next one.

Several of you have expressed a desire to host one soon, based on either having had fun, or missing the last one entirely.

And on a minor note, as far as the barge-riding went. You might recall my comment that we were using the barge because that's how the rules were in the last race? Well, looking back at old notes and such...the last race was held prior to Rossman's being opened. So of course we took the barge! There was no other way!

This has been corrected since, and should no longer be an issue.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 08:30 AM CDT
I like the new rules. Particularly the "web other racers" rules.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 10:14 AM CDT
I agree with Falk; the race should be something special. If you want to champion ranger events, there are other events that could be held, in my opinion. Additionally, there are 5 ranger mentors (the largest guild representation in the Society) and we could sponsor a race later in the year so the specialness of the race doesn't peter out.

~V~
___

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition."

- Henry V, William Shakespeare
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 11:33 AM CDT
If y'all would rather have something besides a race-type event, I'll be happy to do it.

I truly enjoy planning these things. I've had alot of fun so far, and I'd love to Champion anything you guys can throw at me.

Anyone have any suggestions, besides a race-type? I mean, I can get an archery contest going fairly easily, and (though its not terribly rangerly) I know alot of us enjoy jousting.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'll be more than happy to see what I can put together. throw some ideas at me, and I'll see what I can come up with.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 12:44 PM CDT
Possibly lame, but some sort of hide and seek, with clues of various sorts hiddin in rangerly types of places?

Thanks for doing this stuff, it's good of you. Makes the game a lot more fun for everyone, even those of us who don't directly participate.

http://www.heromachine.com
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 02:45 PM CDT
The lirsa Picnic. (Normally a mentor run event.) Which noramlly included a scavanger hunt, a tanning and skinning competition, an archery event, and then a story telling competition. Any of the events could be broken down into singular events.

I once hosted the FGG (Falkonis's Gladiator Games) years ago, which was a type of tournament. Of course with the way combat currently is, it is hard to do any kind of sparing without being unfair to someone (unless you limit it by guild). In which case, you could do a ranger sparring event.

Falker
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 03:19 PM CDT
Love the "Gathering of the Clans" bit. If you are going to something like that, perhaps you can get some of the Guild Leaders to come and share ranger history with us? The times we tried to have Ranger History Night, something usually broke (usually the guild leader).

Also, other events you might like to try...swimming races, climbing races...who can compost the most items (my top is 205 items), and perhaps geography contests--like post a description of a place and we have to say where that is--just a few ideas off the top of my head. But if you have jousting...make it ranger jousting! Said it before and I say it again, we rangers should be allowed to joust in leathers, using arrows instead of lances and be allowed to jump off our horse! Ok I know it's a fantasy, but really someday I would love to joust under those rules.

There's no reason we can't have another combat night either and limit it to rangers so we have a chance of winning.

Oh and Falker...it's Lirisa! not lirsa...just had to correct that...Zinaca is born in her month and is kinda fussy about that.

Zinaca
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 04:46 PM CDT
We've discussed jousting, but haven't come to a decision yet.

As far as a Gladiator Games type thing, Falk, if you wanna host something like that, you'n me'll sit down and iron out the details sometime.

As for guildleaders...:whistles: I say no more.

And yes, it was designed to be more or less the Lirisa picnic. Things are all written in mud right now, but keep all the ideas coming! We'd love to hear it!

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/07/2009 05:27 PM CDT
I have to agree with falker about being too soon

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/09/2009 04:06 AM CDT
<<Oh and Falker...it's Lirisa! not lirsa...just had to correct that...Zinaca is born in her month and is kinda fussy about that.

I was out the door to a weekend wedding (Arctuniol [Ryan] got married for those that knew him) and didnt have time to proof-read. So of course it is Lirisa! Thanks for the catch though. :-P

Falker
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/09/2009 09:54 AM CDT
Tell that old fart Congrats!

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/09/2009 01:14 PM CDT
Yes, tell him congrats. I haven't spoken to him in years, but I still remember meeting him at VegasCon. Great guy.

-Spirit
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/09/2009 02:04 PM CDT
Please tell him to get in touch with me. I have been trying to get in touch with him since he left the realms, but can't seem to get him.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/09/2009 04:22 PM CDT
<<Please tell him to get in touch with me. I have been trying to get in touch with him since he left the realms, but can't seem to get him.

Probably because he changed his number, when he changed phones. I'll let him.

Falker
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/11/2009 07:39 PM CDT
Tell the old grump congrats too from Zinaca and Lucky. Sorry to hear he left the realms though.

And hey, it's ok, Falker, I understand...but I had to correct it anyway...my fingers just wouldn't do otherwise.

Can't wait for the next get together to happen!

Zinaca
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/14/2009 08:07 PM CDT
>>><<Please tell him to get in touch with me. I have been trying to get in touch with him since he left the realms, but can't seem to get him.

Probably because he changed his number, when he changed phones. I'll let him.<<<

Well, that explains the phone. Did he change his email too? And thanks for relaying the message. Sorry, I didn't thank you sooner, I took the family to Atlantic City for a few days.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/15/2009 06:36 PM CDT
Pretty sure he's had the same email as forever.

Falker
Re: New Race Date, Time, Rules, and Suggestions 08/16/2009 12:47 PM CDT
Re the old man, tell him congrats.

Re the race or picnic: this looks like a blast. So is it a go for Oct 4? and Sept 19 is off?

--There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.--George Carlin
--'Must you fall asleep when I am talking?'..'No, its purely voluntary'..Churchill