Ranger Race 07/22/2009 09:45 PM CDT
It's this weekend! General reminder there. I believe Rantjur recruited plenty of help and I recruited enough help to have fun with you .. I mean, help you have fun along the way, so get naked and come out for a nice winter run! :-)

Rumor has it ... Daewok heard about the hubbub and is coming to watch the finish.

SGM Audacia

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Ranger Race 07/23/2009 06:07 AM CDT
Those of ya not knowing...he's the repairer of the unrepairable.

I think.

Then again, with a name like Da-wok, he might be a damned Thai food chef. Who knows?

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 05:24 AM CDT
What are the rules?

I'm sure somewhere back there the rules got spelled out but I missed them. Does anyone mind restating them?

--There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.--George Carlin
--'Must you fall asleep when I am talking?'..'No, its purely voluntary'..Churchill
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 09:46 AM CDT
Absolutely!

First rule: Be Naked. This does NOT include removing gweths or any other item that might cost you money to remove.

Second rule: *NO ONE* is allowed to run trails. Since some of the racers will not be able to, no one is allowed. If you need to get somewhere, walk!

Third rule: ABSOLUTELY NO SWIMMING RIVERS. Again, since some players can't do it, no players are allowed to do it. (((The exception to this is IF your player is sent to Rossman's Landing, you may swim the Jantspyre to get there. But ONLY to rossman's landing. You may NOT bypass the barge to lang by running to/through rossman's.)))

Fourth Rule: No Moongates. No tracking your companion. No Rope Bridge from Haven to Theren. You WILL take the ferry, you WILL take the barge.

Thats the basics. Without opening the game and copying my rules script, that's all I can remmeber.

There are other rules, minor ones, but nothing major.

The race starts at 3PM sharp, in front of Graev's Gate, at Corik's Wall. I do hope to see all of you there!

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 11:57 AM CDT
Did I miss where we discussed these rules?

I mean seriously, they boil down to: You are a ranger, but you can not use any survival skills to get anywhere. If these were the rules for the first race, I'm all of a sudden not so sad I missed it.

I'm with you on the no moongates, but crying out loud swimming, climbing and scouting are what Rangers do better than anyone else, why wouldn't we race with out skills?

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 12:26 PM CDT
Those were the rules, to my knowledge, of the last race.

Now, the reason I have it set this way is because some of the rangers can't run all the trails yet, or swim the Faldesu, or the Jantspyre.

And while yes, we're broken up into brackets, the players at the lower end of the bracket won't be able to keep up with the players at the upper end.

For example, take the Faldesu River. The actual quoted requirement (Caiman Swim not withstanding) is some 115 ranks to be able to swim it. Now, for ease of numbers, we'll say 100 ranks. At 20th circle, did you have 100+ swimming? Well, maybe you did, cuz you train like crazy, but the average ranger does not.

The second bracket of players is the 20-40th bracket. So Youngun Ranger Whosiwatsit, Circle 20, comes up to the faldesu and can't swim it, so he has to wait on the ferry. But he just misses the ferry by a half second, and has to wait the seven minutes it takes to get there, the 2 minutes on shore, and the seven minutes it takes to get back, thereby losing some 16 minutes of time. But circle 39th ranger Joe Smuckatelli (who's in the same bracket!) jumps right into the river, swims across in about a minute, and is half done with any requirements he has in riverhaven before the other players in his bracket even reach riverhaven.

Now, the rules are subject to change once players begin arriving at the start point. If there is an overwhelming majority of 'bigger' rangers, then yes, trails and such will be allowed. But as it stands right now, no, they are not. Those rules were based on participation by mostly younger players, but as I check my IMs and email etc, it seems most of the younger players aren't going to be there.

I do intend for the upper bracket of players (40th+) to be allowed swimming etc. But you'll notice in my post, I said those were the generic ground rules.

Show up at 3PM today, and you'll get the full overview of the rules.

Oh, and climbing? I didn't mention climbing in my post, nor did I mention the Undergondola area. You see, that's already been taken care of. EVERYONE from circle 1-150, will be able to climb the undergondola. If you don't believe me, run the race and find out how.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 12:49 PM CDT
> players at the lower end of the bracket won't be able to keep up with the players at the upper end
> more stuff about ranger x not being able to do action y

I'm sorry I just don't understand this mentality. Shouldn't the better trained/prepared survivalist beat the less trained/prepared survivalist? A race is a competition. The best competitor should win. To me a ranger competition should be all about deciding who the best survivalist (swimmer, climber, train runner, skinner, hunter, tracker, thinker) is. The rules as you currently have them are just plain ridiculous.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 12:50 PM CDT
Honestly, without relying on survival skills, it's more of a bard race than a ranger one.
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 12:51 PM CDT
And lest this turn into something about Han's skills, I really don't have much of a horse in this race. RL has decided no DR for me this afternoon.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 12:52 PM CDT
>>Honestly, without relying on survival skills, it's more of a bard race than a ranger one.

That cuts me deep, sir. It's true, but it cuts me deep.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 12:56 PM CDT
So I should penalize a player just because he's not as high a circle as someone else.

Makes great sense to me Hanryu. Really.

Anyway, the rules will/can change based on participation. If I have alot of high level players, and not alot of low level players, then they'll be adjusted. The full-on rules remain to be seen, based on participation.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 12:58 PM CDT
There are circle brackets, so the lower circles will not use trails or swimming, while the higher brackets will. Prizes in all categories, and they are nifty :-)

Don't forget to visit the finish line where a special guest will be coming.

SGM Audacia

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 01:01 PM CDT
I have to agree w/Hanryu that it doesn't really make sense to penalize Rangers in a "Ranger Race" by preventing them from swimming or climbing or using trails simply because another Ranger cannot. Unless there is only 1 "winner" overall. But if there is, it's pretty much a Ranger-themed Commoner run. We've all worked to get our skills to where they are.

Newer Rangers won't be able to keep up with older Rangers, but that's to be expected. Kind of like we wouldn't expect a 20th circle Barbarian to go hunting with a 100th circle Dragon-dancing one.

Isn't that the point of a bracket spread?

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Ranger Race 07/26/2009 01:12 PM CDT
>So I should penalize a player just because he's not as high a circle as someone else.

Has nothing to do with circle, and everything to do with skill. The point of a competition is to determine who is the most skilled at a given task (or set of tasks). What the posted rules do is penalize those players that have trained their characters hard.

> Isn't that the point of a bracket spread?

Exactly.

~Hunter Hanryu
Ranger Race 07/26/2009 06:54 PM CDT
First and foremost, thank EVERYONE for coming.

The winner in the 'big ranger' bracket was Gahlron, with Rejik in close pursuit.

Gahlron won a hunter's longbow.

A haphazard path forged through a map of Kermoria's wilderness is depicted by a dotted line wandering along the riser. The slightly warped map clearly depicts in minute detail the major landmarks and terrain of the provinces, from Ilithi to Therengia.

Rejik won a set of Firecat leathers.

Sleek supple leather, hardened and dyed in shades of forest-like greens and greys, has been crafted into protective armor. Designed to mold to the body allowing comfort and ease of movement in and out of battle, woven steelsilk mesh has been employed to strengthen the leather along the vulnerable areas of the arms, legs and torso. Carefully tooled across the chestpiece, a map of Elanthia depicts a wildly meandering path across the five provinces.

There were no racers in the 20-40th category, so the prizes for that bracket were given away to Morkim and...Dunno, Tolle gave it out.

Morkim was in the 40-60th category, and fought quite well against a basilisk and a warcat, retrieving both of his required items despite only being 42nd circle. (A warcat collar and a basilisk fang.) in light of this, we gave him a longbow.

In the 0-20 bracket, our young rangerette Rubalestica was the only participant, and though she died twice during the race, she stuck it out, achieving victory.

She opted for the armor (same descrip, only gargs instead of firecats.)

The final longbow was given to Sunsea, who quit the race to assist rubalestica, even though she was leading for quite awhile.

Many of the racers, and some non racers, all asked me to plan another race for a few months down the line. I have no qualms with this, and if y'all want me to, I'd love to plan another.

Craftsman Daewek showed up, as planned. He is the repairer of the unrepairable. And several players had their old, and far too broken bows repaired.

All in all, thank you all again for attending, and those that did not attend, you missed out on a chance to chat with The Last, Tomma, Kalika, and Tolle.

A special thanks to Deaglan, Valynn, and Seei, for volunteering their time to give out clues and the like, instead of racing.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Ranger Race 07/28/2009 10:07 AM CDT
So overall the race was fun, however I would have liked the GM's and the player's running the events to be on the same page. The rules given at the beginning of the race and the rules that were used to judge the winners were different. So while I was sitting on my duff waiting for the barge (because we were specifically told we had to) the other ranger's ran the trails (after I had already been sitting for who knows how long) and picked up the winning spots. I see here on the boards that Audacia mentions that the higher up rangers CAN use the trails ... however that was not mentioned in game at the beginning of the race (that I saw) and I didn't happen to read the boards during it. I know there was a "you can swim now" message given, however we had to swim the Jantspre anyway to complete the tasks that were given (which I asked the issuer clarification on), so the clarification that was needed was not "you can swim", it was "you can run trails". Anyway, it was fun, however it was a pretty sour ending.

- Player of Saracus
Re: Ranger Race 07/28/2009 01:44 PM CDT
I agree about the confusion. "Everyone must take the barge" they say, then I get to Riverhaven and my task is to get an raider box from the Manor. Flailing madly, I'm gwething to see if I have to take the barge to Lang (and then how do I get to Rossman's if I can't trail?) or if I could swim the Jant. Too much time had to be devoted to clarifying the rules.

By the time I recovered from a stupid death in the Zaulfung and helped Heartsfyre get her shield back from the shrine, I was mostly competing with my brain which was telling me to just quit.
Thanks for the encouraging message, Audacia, or whoever it was.

How about next time, start in flights, based on circle?

I did enjoy the meeting at the end and I hope Morkim and Rejik appreciate that I let them live.

Thanks for convincing Daewok to come repair our broken bows. Thank you, Falk, for paying the bill for everyone's repairs.
Thanks, Tolle, for rewarding Nilerbone for finishing even thought he started long after everyone else.

And btw, Rantjur: Chanty is a perfectly good word for a sea-faring ditty. I'm sorry you saw fit to make a joke where none was needed. Remind me to kill you later.

Master Craftsman Thryntyrlz BagMaker steps out from under Caelfind's road-worn traveler's cloak.

Tvini gets a Nilerbone brain from inside her canvas sack.
Tvini pokes her Nilerbone brain.
Nilerbone sneezes!
Re: Ranger Race 07/28/2009 02:05 PM CDT
>How about next time, start in flights, based on circle?

Or just judge the results based on circle like it had always been before...

Would be fun to see a newbie making it to the finish-line first, assuming the circle-appropriate goals were estimated to take about the same time to accomplish.

All this talk of the race makes me want to one again in Plat :-D

-pete
Re: Ranger Race 07/28/2009 02:28 PM CDT
I'd like to run another one based off the Elanthian calendar year.

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Ranger Race 07/28/2009 02:28 PM CDT
I think the race was very well done, based on Rant's experience and what he had to work with. The rules at the end did get a bit jumbled as Saracus said, but things like that happen from time to time. We just gotta learn from them, and avoid it in the future. It was my first Nekkid run, so it was a bit of a learning experience for me as well. Besides, I'm sure everyone enjoyed seeing Falk in all his glory.

I think I might be more persuaded to help with the challenges and coming up with riddles for the next hunt/race, to try and base the challenges a little more on brain power rather than character skill.

Really enjoyed seeing everyone get together. I was hoping for a little bigger turn out, but that isnt always possible with time schedules and what not.

The time and effort the GMs put in was nice. I dont know any other guild that has put on nekkid races, or picnics like our guild over the years. It is certainly something that sets our guild apart.

So I want to thank everyone involved, and a special thanks to Audacia for pulling everything together for us and enslaving other GMs to help. What was that you said? It's good to be the Hiring GM? Lol. Any how, I had a great time. Especially with the alterer! (Let me know if he ever comes back. There is one more thing to get done and I'll probably have everything I ever wanted <cackles madly>)

Falker
Nekid Ranger Race 07/31/2009 06:28 PM CDT
I was very excited about being able to join in this race until the dates changed. The dates were changed to a time when I was to be on holiday. I am glad that everyone had such a great time. I would be more than happy to join in the next one.
Though I was unable to attend, I wish to thank all involved for putting this together, we so need more ranger events.

Legendary Ranger Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Naked Ranger Race (New Date!) 03/05/2010 03:10 PM CST
It came to my attention yesterday that I had scheduled the race on the Fourth of April. Shame on me; This is in fact Easter Sunday.

that being said, the race has been moved to Sunday, March 28th at 3PM eastern time.

“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother..."
~William Shakespeare
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Naked Ranger Race (New Date!) 03/06/2010 12:58 AM CST
Glad to hear it as my entire family will be descending upon Seattle that weekend and taking in the glory that is the tulip fields in Skagit county. With luck they will have the hot air ballons, I find them just sooo much fun.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Naked Ranger Race 03/17/2010 02:37 PM CDT
Ok folks, this year's race is rapidly approaching!

The race is to be held at 3PM Eastern Time on March 28th (10 days from now.)

The race begins, contrary to what the calendar says, at the Shard Ranger Guild. Yes yes, i know the calendar says Corik's Wall. God-willing a benevolent GM or SGM will read this and fix it. :)

Rumor has it, there's to be altered bows, armor, backpacks, shields....and the grapevine even whispered the possibility of the appearance of an alterer.

So pack all your things away into your vault (weapons, armor, clothes etc), and bring yourself down, buck nekkid. Feel free to leave on wedding rings, gweths etc, things that have 0 effect on your character...just don't bring anything else. Come let it all hang out, and prove to the world that Rangers can best anyone else, even with no pants!

“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother..."
~William Shakespeare
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Naked Ranger Race 03/17/2010 04:15 PM CDT
<<even with no pants!>>

Be careful, people will think you've got a necromancer convention going.

Tishra says, "We had a tie, get over it."

The hammer lands an overwhelming strike that knocks the larynx clear back to the vertebrae (So much for last words!).
* Tishra is slain before your eyes!
Re: Naked Ranger Race 03/17/2010 05:04 PM CDT
I'm not sure how that references anything? I'm confused.

~William Shakespeare
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Naked Ranger Race 03/17/2010 05:21 PM CDT
Dark Master of Souls Saphael

Page 2 of his thread in People You Love to Hate on SC

Tishra says, "We had a tie, get over it."

The hammer lands an overwhelming strike that knocks the larynx clear back to the vertebrae (So much for last words!).
* Tishra is slain before your eyes!
Re: Naked Ranger Race 03/17/2010 07:34 PM CDT
I don't read SC.

~William Shakespeare
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Naked Ranger Race 03/18/2010 08:44 PM CDT
I might actually be able to make this one, but with the super slow internet. At least it might be fun to participate again!

Can't wait to get arrested and store all my things.

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Naked Ranger Race 03/21/2010 11:13 AM CDT
I do hope trails will be allowed this time? and swimming, and climbing?

"Sometimes you guys scare me."--Annwyl
"You people worry me."--GM Abasha
"Hmm..."--Z
Re: Naked Ranger Race 03/21/2010 04:53 PM CDT
Rules-

Theft:

Rangers MAY steal things from shops. NO racer may steal coin, items, skins, or anything else of value from other players. Anyone caught doing so
will be disqualified from the race.

Combat:

NO RACER may initiate combat with other racers. Slowing or stopping another racer, using NON VIOLENT means, is allowed.
Non-violent means involve Harawep's Bonds (so long as the players are not in a hunting ground), or any other spell that
does not cause harm, both physically or spiritually.

Any player found to be initiating combat/killing other racers will be shunned, shamed, disqualified, and most likely jailed.

Travel:

Rangers may travel via any means of natural travel, up to and including ranger trails, swimming rivers/lakes, climbing, or public
transportation (ferries, gondola, etc.)
*NO RANGER, AT ANY TIME, MAY BYPASS NATURAL OBSTACLES BY TRACKING A WOLF, UTILIZING A MOONGATE, OR BY USING A PRIVATE BOAT.
THIS INCLUDES RENTING A BOAT FROM RIVERHAVEN TO LANGENFIRTH, OR VICE VERSA. YOU MAY NOT UTILIZE A PTM, FOR ANY PURPOSE, DURING
THE RACE*

Brackets:

Brackets are set up as follows. These are, of course, subject to change based on actual participation on the day of the race.

1-20
21-40
41-60
61-80
81-100
100+

Tasks will be given at each checkpoint, and each task will vary, bracket to bracket. I promise, there won't be any screw ups with
63rd circle rangers trying to brawl a basilisk this time around. :)

~William Shakespeare
No Ranger Stands Alone
Naked Ranger Race 04/10/2010 10:51 PM CDT
Is it still on for 4/11 3pm EST?

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky
Naked Ranger Race TODAY! 04/11/2010 10:49 AM CDT
Thats right folks! 3PM EST today. Naked. Shard Ranger Guild.

Be there. And stuff.

Lots of cool prizes. LOTS of fun to be had. Special guests. Interaction with the lovely Ms. Tomma. And more.

The race starts precicely at 3PM. Try to be standing by in the Shard Ranger Guild around 2:30-2:45.

NO WEAPONS. NO CONTAINERS. NO ARMOR. Wedding rings and gweths are ok. Thats it.

The easiest way to go about doing all that? Get arrested.

"Never steal from someone carrying more weapons than you have lessons in evasion."

No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Naked Ranger Race TODAY! 04/11/2010 09:36 PM CDT
I have to say this event was very well played. The gifts and prizes were right on, the planning was perfect, and you had exactly the right help. Great job pulling this off Rantjur!

No ranger stands alone.
Re: Naked Ranger Race TODAY! 04/12/2010 12:29 AM CDT
I had a blast running the race and as this time it focused on skills, it was a change I liked and learned how to some things I had forgotten how. But I still remembered how to cut a herd. I can't believe Aroamer actually caught the horse, led it to Rantjur behind the waterfall, and STILL managed to beat me into Langen! (We were supposed to just cut the herd and give description of the horse we cut).

And thanks Rant for the lovely buckler and Lucky LOVES his rucksack! He realized immediately it was his and has made it uniquely his. Not gonna say what he did, but I sure won't be using it!

Thanks for all who helped and Tsarenzi, you still make a wonderful cup of tea.

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky who had a blast at the start and finish. Next year, maybe he can actually run the race with me.
Re: Naked Ranger Race TODAY! 04/12/2010 04:47 AM CDT
Glad you guys had fun.

I had a BLAST putting it together, and Tsarenzi was an absolute dream to work with. Thats not to discount the monumental efforts of Meantermel, Neubus, and of course, Audacia.

Due to an IRL conflict, Neubus couldn't be with us, so a huge thank you goes to Glizten and Tzian for filling in on little to no notice.

And of course, Audacia. You're an amazing person. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

"Never steal from someone carrying more weapons than you have lessons in evasion."

No Ranger Stands Alone