Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/18/2008 05:22 PM CDT
Or maybe a combination of the two. I was trying to remember what all the ranger run entailed and what fun things were done in the picnic. I mean if it were possible for the players to set up without too much fuss about people cheating and what not...

I think it would be fun to start out in Lang and end up in Boar Clan guildhall and have a blast in between...we could always play kick the can during the run<g>.

Could divvy up the rangers by circle so a 5th circle ranger doesn't have to worry about competing against a ranger who's gonna skip the barge and ferry. Ban moongates and other non-ranger methods of travel. Perhaps a two part race. Fastest time and the one who acquires the most loot in the set time. Or the most number of separate unique skins. Still have to get to the finish line though. Just gotta figure out a decent time frame for the race if we plan to set a time limit.

I don't think it would be overly complicated to get a few trinkets together for prizes and arrange for food and drink in the guild down there. Hopefully I'll be allowed to stay in the guild this time.

The mind behind Calissa
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/20/2008 05:00 PM CDT
>>I mean if it were possible for the players to set up without too much fuss about people cheating and what not...

Have an observer (randomly picked from a pool of volunteers) accompany each participant.

Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/20/2008 06:00 PM CDT
I'd hope there would be quite a few folks making the run so an observer would be a bit much. I also envision the "prizes" wouldn't be anything to really cheat for. I think the fun in doing it would be worth it. I may make a run on my own just to see...

It was brought up at the mentor thing and if there are people willing to participate in a run and then after-party at Boar Clan let 'em know.

Calissa
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/23/2008 09:45 PM CDT
I love the idea of a naked ranger race with a Lirisa picnic at the end (finish line). The number of circles covered in each division will need to be small, I think to help it be fair. (No circle 1 to 20, in my opinion as that is too extreme of a skill). But of course, as the circles increase, the number of circles included could be larger. So I would propose 5 circle divisions to 30th, 10 circle divisions to 60th, 15 circle divisions for higher circles (I mean 1 group would be 1-5th circle, 6th through 10th, 61-70th and so forth.

We could have winners in each division. And to add spice, I would name each division, like wimpy for 1st to 5th circle division, swimmer for 6th to 10th (in honor of those first 20 ranks every ranger had to get to circle to 10th--remember?). For the highest division, we could name em Older than Dirt. Anyway you get the idea. Folks could propose names and we could have a vote on the ranger boards for it (Han could make one of his beloved spreadsheets for it). For prizes I would love a pin or cuff or armband that said "Winner 391 Naked Ranger Race, <division name>" with the metal on said pin or armband gold for winner, silver for second and bronze for third. And if it is decided to run the scavenger vs shortest time contest at the same time (You could only enter one contest though), have the cuff or pin say "Winner 391 Fastest Naked Ranger Race" and "Winner 391 Scavenger Naked Ranger Race". The 391 is the current year on DR, I think.

And I really think each person should have an observer with them, no mules, no friends, totally neutral. I would suggest Moon mages since they can also sense non ranger spells on a person which would be of course a no-no. If you don't have them for each person some will cheat. Take it as a given, sadly.

I think there should also be checkpoints each person has to go through. And these would need to be manned by volunteers too.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. Just talking off the top of my head of the way I think things are going to need to go. I personally would love to run in it.

As for the Lirisa picnic, the ones in the past I went to, had number of skins arranged and quality of skins arranged contests, archery contests, tall tale stories, scavenger hunt around the picnic site. I would also like to see a sharing time where we tell stories of famous and infamous rangers we remember or know/knew. Also, I could see a forage contest by circle group, a stealing contest perhaps, and a hide and seek contest (I see this as several rangers hide all over Boar Clan, no buffs, just straight skill and the contestants have to go around and find them all. Ranger who found the most hidden, wins, also by division). And the last idea for a contest is a tanning contest, ranger must skin, tan and make a suitablly easy item. But this might not be doable.

For each of these contests folks could get a pin, ring or something designating winner first second third and what contest.

This way, we are only competing for bragging rights only. I loved the Kirth Kaims especially the award of armbands with the year of the contest and type won. The armbands were edged in the color signify first second and third.

These are all my ideas. Feel free to rag on me. : )

Zinaca
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/25/2008 09:59 PM CDT
When we organized the original nekkid ranger survival run, we picked the winner based on the total value of everything they had managed to collect. The winner got the coin collected by the rest of the entrants. (Boy did I feel rich!) Everyone had a set amount of time to arrive at the end point, so it wasn't so much a race as a rally.

If you use this as the starting point, you can make the divisions continuous, with a percentage bonus applied to each level within the division. Kind of like a golfing handicap- only different :P

We were able to start out completely weaponless since we had spells that we could use for killing the first few critters. Nowadays, probably need to start with at least a knife. Theren area is a good spot to start because you can harvest weapons off a wide range of critters there and the bandits hand out useful items like bags.

Zephy
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/25/2008 10:51 PM CDT
>>We were able to start out completely weaponless since we had spells that we could use for killing the first few critters. Nowadays, probably need to start with at least a knife.

Remember, nowadays brawling is actually an awesome damage dealing weapon, granted those without skill in it would be at a handicap (but it's pretty much the easiest weapon to currently train in game, as you only need 1 critter to keep it locked.. come on). There is always stealing though =)
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/25/2008 11:22 PM CDT
Plus energy bolt.

Competition aspect aside, it seems like an interesting adventure. Normally you're never put in this situations, even with a brand new character.
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/26/2008 12:45 PM CDT
I like Zephy's idea. Let's do this. Hanryu can do the math. :-)

Master Craftsman Thryntyrlz BagMaker steps out from under Caelfind's road-worn traveler's cloak.

Tvini gets a Nilerbone brain from inside her canvas sack.
Tvini pokes her Nilerbone brain.
Nilerbone sneezes!
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/26/2008 01:05 PM CDT
Seconded. Hammie get to it!

Calissa
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/26/2008 04:20 PM CDT
<<<When we organized the original nekkid ranger survival run, we picked the winner based on the total value of everything they had managed to collect. The winner got the coin collected by the rest of the entrants.>>>

Zephy, if I remember right, there were first, second and third prize cash awards. Yes, winners etc were determined by the total amount of wealth you had earned, without any kind of aid. I remember killing a marauder and using the shirt, shield and hunting sword and then running right to gargs. Skinning them and getting the boxes seemed the best path to me, and they were one of the better paying critters back then. You got first place, I got second and I think Pathyn got third. Also, there was sort of cause somehow tied to the race, although I can't remember what it was, but I remember donating my second place prize money to some "the cause." Maybe we could do it like that again, have some sort of ranger scholarship/trust fund or something set up for newbies.

Anyhow, let me know when this might happen, and I will try to make myself available. Theres something about ranger woman, and nekkid ones are even better!

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/26/2008 11:07 PM CDT
I agree on this, let's do this. Some rangers have contact with elder players who no longer play but would love to participate in the run and/or Lirisa picnic. Perhaps we can actually move this from talking to doing eh?

Zinaca--now up to Lucky 6 : ( : ) happy again with a wolf!
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/29/2008 03:29 PM CDT
>>...and getting the boxes seemed the best path...

How did you pick them?

Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/29/2008 05:04 PM CDT
<<<>>...and getting the boxes seemed the best path...

How did you pick them?>>>>

I stole a lockpick from Ragge's.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/29/2008 05:30 PM CDT
>>I stole a lockpick from Ragge's.

I was thinking stealing everything would be the best route. <2 minutes, you have armor, weapons, things to carry items, etc. All set up and equipped with no fuss, perfect.

Then find a trader, rob them of all their plats, and you might even have the most value when you're done.

Kill any of the competition that looks like they might have more, even if you have the slightest inkling.

Be fun I think.
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/30/2008 09:16 PM CDT
ROFL Heh, would be very interesting at least. I might last an anlas until you kill me.

By the way, I thought the object of the race was to get as many skins, treasure and such, with as little as possible on you (as little armor weapons and such as you can get by with) and get to Shard first?

Anyway that's the way I would run the race--basically a scavenger hunt as naked as you can be and survive to the finish.

Zinaca--I just wanna run naked! (Though Lucky thinks I'm nuts for taking off my "fur" (clothes and armor)
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 08/30/2008 10:47 PM CDT
>>By the way, I thought the object of the race was to get as many skins, treasure and such, with as little as possible on you (as little armor weapons and such as you can get by with) and get to Shard first?

Oh, if the rules are like that, then it's fairly straightforward for me. Steal a knife, ask for a rope, and I'd be set (using brawl to kill and knife to skin). I'd still like to kill anyone with more bundles however.
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 09/01/2008 02:30 PM CDT
When I played there were puzzles and specific things you needed to aquire (3 snowbeast pelts, whatever) before you moved onto the next puzzle. Meant you needed skill as well as some knowledge of the land around you. Solve them all and get to Lang first, win. Was a blast.

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 09/02/2008 05:18 PM CDT
Why not just hang outside a bank or if there's a fest somewhere and just steal money? Who cares about traditional ranger skills, show Elanthia what rangers are really made of!

Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 09/02/2008 05:20 PM CDT
I think stealing and shoplifting kind of oversimplify the concept.
Re: Naked ranger run or the picnic... 09/04/2008 07:11 PM CDT
<<Why not just hang outside a bank or if there's a fest somewhere and just steal money? Who cares about traditional ranger skills, show Elanthia what rangers are really made of!>>

I'm not sure, but didn't the Prince make the outside of the bank a no steal, no selling zone? I know he got mad at those who say "I'm open" to let others steal from them in town.

Zinaca