Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 09:48 AM CDT
www.geocities.com/forestwraiths/index.htm

Very rough site start. I have alot of work and am working on alot of changes like images and especialy my scouting page. A few other pages under construction, but as an overall not a bad site. Opinions? requests?

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
Mark Twain
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 01:43 PM CDT
You forgot to mention our, you know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills.

S/N: LinkRJH2
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 01:49 PM CDT
>>You forgot to mention our, you know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills.>>

LOL nunchucks and hacking I know very little if nothing about. I'm actualy just learning html as a result of finaly unserstanding wizard triggers and scripting. Learning those two things made me actualy want to play with other kinds of code. Think Im going to give c++ a try seems fairly simple from what I've read. I fionaly got a telnet so I may play around with something It's fun stuff. I beleive there's a link in there somewhere about fletching and bows, but I'm still in the process of compiling information so wood caps and stuff like that are in the distant future.

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
Mark Twain
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 02:04 PM CDT
HTML and scripting aren't even in the same realm as C++ or any other programming language. Not to say you shouldn't try it, coding is wonderful! Just, be ready to toss aside preconceptions, if you have any.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 02:11 PM CDT
>>HTML and scripting aren't even in the same realm as C++ or any other programming language. Not to say you shouldn't try it, coding is wonderful! Just, be ready to toss aside preconceptions, if you have any.>>

I don't at all. I've read some of the material online and got a few books from the library. I'm not saying it's easy, but I'm saying it looks "that" hard either. Personaly, this is a hobby. I didn't used to know what a PC or mac was before I started playing DR. Now I have one of each, pc for somethings and mac for mostly my art. I work as a paramedic so it's all a hobby and something that relaxes me after dealing with either sick or dead people for 24 hour shifts a time. I'm looking forward to learning codeing in more detail. Right now Im green and my html is choppy but hey I got a site out and to me that's a big step in a process of learning. Again any imput or suggestions on this site is great if ya think it's horrible then great, but tell me what "YOU" think should be corrected. All critism is great. I don't offend easy and I'm pretyt open minded.

Mark Twain
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 02:16 PM CDT
Might want to look at C# or Java (Blech) since you can apply them both directly to web pages.

ASP.net as well.

It's regretful that the most common type of person in this world is someone small, in a big chair.
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 02:26 PM CDT
>>Might want to look at C# or Java (Blech) since you can apply them both directly to web pages.>>
I have had absolutly no luck at all with java. For some reason geocities gives me an error when I try to use any type of javascipting. Says I have exceeded the allocated files. Geocities is evil. I hate free hosting. I used to use yahoo sitebuilder, but I wanted to learn html instead of having an editor do it for me. I loved the fact I had my own domain, but I can't really afford another bill right now so free is what I got. I used a basic javascript graphic on my site and they went crazy and locked me down for like an hour. Anyway, if I had my own domain then yeah maybe but with all the advanced codeing out here now I dunno what I wanta learn. LOL just having fun right now. I'd like toget better though and maybe do some of this stuff in my spare time. I work 24 hours at a time then I'm off for 48 hours. When I'm at work Im normaly up and down all night because of sick calls so that 48 hours Im here Im pretty much live wired the whole time.

ASP.net as well.

Mark Twain
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 02:48 PM CDT
<<I have had absolutly no luck at all with java. For some reason geocities gives me an error when I try to use any type of javascipting.>>

Java and JavaScript aren't the same thing. It's confusing as heck, but there it is. JavaScript is a webpage scripting language based vaguely off of Java, but Java is used to write applications, not scripts.

<<I work 24 hours at a time then I'm off for 48 hours. When I'm at work Im normaly up and down all night because of sick calls so that 48 hours Im here Im pretty much live wired the whole time.>>

Ow.

Also, I agree with the suggestion about C# and Java. In fact, I might go so far as to suggest just Java first. It's not the best language, but it is a very good introductory/learning tool.

If you're looking into programming specifically for your website, ASP.net would be something to look into. However, free hosting probably won't let you use any sort of dynamic HTML/active server technology, which is what ASP.net is mostly designed for. PHP is pretty well-supported by low-cost hosting services, and it's free, so it might be a better choice for you than ASP.net. Harder to use, though. I like ColdFusion, myself.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 03:04 PM CDT
>>JavaScript is a webpage scripting language based vaguely off of Java, but Java is used to write applications, not scripts.>>
LOL, that explains why it didn't work. The more I learn the less I know but thats okay this is interesting stuff.

>>I work 24 hours at a time then I'm off for 48 hours. When I'm at work Im normaly up and down all night because of sick calls so that 48 hours Im here Im pretty much live wired the whole time.>>
>>Ow.>>

Nah its really not bad. I do sleep at the base sometimes all night and never get anything. Honestly, at 5 in the morning when you get paged out or a simple assist to put someone back in bed and arrive to find a family member pumping on someones chest well the adrenalin after the call is over is crazy. It's a rewarding job, but the pay sucks. If I was in it for the money I wouldn't be doing it.

>>Also, I agree with the suggestion about C# and Java. In fact, I might go so far as to suggest just Java first. It's not the best language, but it is a very good introductory/learning tool.>>

I'll learn that. For right now I'm looking to learn basicaly from a to z and the way to start something is at the begining. I can just build on my knowledge from there on out.

>>If you're looking into programming specifically for your website, ASP.net would be something to look into. However, free hosting probably won't let you use any sort of dynamic HTML/active server technology, which is what ASP.net is mostly designed for. PHP is pretty well-supported by low-cost hosting services, and it's free, so it might be a better choice for you than ASP.net. Harder to use, though. I like ColdFusion, myself.>>

Im looking into the website, but what it's leading me too is other things. Maybe I'm flaky because I honesly like it all and want to learn it all. I tried building my own guestbook. I have the code right but free hosting doesn't allow it. I'll check out coldfusion and ASP.net. Thanks JARAAD for the imput, most helpful.

Mark Twain
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/16/2005 03:08 PM CDT
I learned Java before C++.

Java is basically a stripped down C++. The latter has some confusing points, and Java is fairly straight forwards. Java would be a great introduction to Structured programming. Rar :)

It's regretful that the most common type of person in this world is someone small, in a big chair.
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/17/2005 12:13 AM CDT
Java's great for leaning OO principles and general programming stuff. C... notsomuch. Too much low-level stuff you have to deal with, like pointers, ugh.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/17/2005 12:48 AM CDT
Concur with Vision

Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/17/2005 12:50 AM CDT
<<Java's great for leaning OO principles and general programming stuff. C... notsomuch. Too much low-level stuff you have to deal with, like pointers, ugh.>>

Hey! I <3 pointers. Don't be hating on pointers.

Java is certainly a much better introduction to both object-oriented and well-structured programming, though. And once you learn Java it's sometimes hard to get into C, it feels somewhat like taking a step backwards; might be better to go straight from Java to C++ and skip C entirely. (The difference is... C++ is object-oriented, while C is not) But I went from Java to C and haven't looked back yet.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/17/2005 12:52 AM CDT
<<But I went from Java to C and haven't looked back yet.

That's mostly because your C professors would be rather upset if you turned in an assignment in C++.

Re: Forest Wraiths of Elanthia 09/17/2005 12:54 AM CDT
<<That's mostly because your C professors would be rather upset if you turned in an assignment in C++.>>

I haven't actually had a class that required C in about two years. :P I have since had several classes that required programming for specific applications in whatever language you feel like, and I chose C for them all.

Though I'm taking a class this semester in operating systems, using a barebones operating system simulator called OSP, which requires coding in C.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al