Tanning page 05/03/2004 02:33 AM CDT
OK, been busy the last few days between packing, family get-togethers and playing around in the DR2 Beta Test. But I put the testing server to good use (having a nice handy dandy crystal shard that would let me pop all around creation is a blast!).

The tanning page has been updated. I have sampled every critter in Elanthia that yields a skin which can be used for tanning, except polo's, I'll get to them later, they're just annoying to hunt. So the skin values chart at the bottom is MUCH more complete than it was previously. The last column on the right "Top Value" is still relatively empty, but that is thanks to the random nature of arranging, to find a truly reliable "top value" I have to gather 150-200 trophy skins to be sure I have as accurate a number as I can reasonable expect to get. The "Value" column is simply the value of a capped "skillfully peeled" skin which is the same for everyone and relatively easy to nail down.

Which brings me to a sad note, it's actually kinda disheartening to discover that the only critter left in DR that can be skinned and yield something I can tan which I don't get a skillful peel every time without arranging it is polo's. <weeps> People think arranging is "da bomb", that's because they are NOT a Ranger and don't realize how the current skinning calcs mean we NEED it at higher circles just to learn. <sigh>

Oh, and another note for those who might be interested. Can't afford hele arrows? Don't bother. Arrows made from sabre-tooth warcats are actually fairly decent ... only slightly less puncture/impact and more slice than a broad-barbed. I was fairly impressed with their performance. We'll see how they perform after the review of bow/xbow's and their ammo, though.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Tanning page 05/03/2004 09:10 PM CDT
>>Arrows made from sabre-tooth warcats are actually fairly decent ... only slightly less puncture/impact and more slice than a broad-barbed.

Far, FAR too much effort and skill for the result...and because of that, no one makes em. Comparing those to the good hele'las is like comparing broad-barbed to Crossing barbed arrows.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

That's why it's called a shortcut; if it was easy it would just be "The Way"
Re: Tanning page 05/03/2004 10:39 PM CDT
Krin meant to add that the URL is http://krinahd.lucerella.com/Tanning.html.

>>Krin>>(having a nice handy dandy crystal shard that would let me pop all around creation is a blast!)

Man, those were awesome! Cheated and got my tattoo that way. I think those of you in TF should request that those be a permanent addition to your version of the game.

Sgt. Thilan Farnmor
Intel Division, Northern Watch of Therengia
Re: Tanning page 05/04/2004 02:01 AM CDT
Heh, is a Platinum perk. Jumpy Jewelry. Thats one thing that almost certainly never going to get ported to other realms in any permanant way. It is a blast though, enjoy it while you can.

Mole

AIM ~ Jasperjohn DR

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Help. Help. If anyone reads this I am being held prisoner by an evil Eunuch. Help.
Re: Tanning page 05/04/2004 02:29 AM CDT
>>Teeklin>>Far, FAR too much effort and skill for the result

Only for those who expect far far too much from their equipment instead of from their skill. But why work for it when you can just buy it, eh? <rolls eyes> And you call me a cheater. Pffft.

>>Teeklin>>Comparing those to the good hele'las

One more time for the reading impaired. I said for those who can't afford hele's, the sabre-toothed warcat arrows were a nice substitute.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Tanning page 05/04/2004 02:51 AM CDT
>>One more time for the reading impaired. I said for those who can't afford hele's,

Yeah, if you can't afford the hele'las, where are you gonna get the money to special order inferior warcat tooth arrows? And if you can make warcat arrows, you can make hele'las just as good as them, only with more room to grow.

>>Only for those who expect far far too much from their equipment instead of from their skill.

I use the best equipment I can afford...I could just as easily use storebought weapons, armor, and ammo and get a suckier result...but why penalize myself? What better do I have to spend my money on but getting better at what I do most?

Fact is, there's a reason no one sells Boar, Els, Angis, and Warcat arrows...because they just don't match up, and this is a top of the line market. No one will put the effort in to make those and sell them for less than people sell the hele'las for, and no one will buy inferior products for those prices.

Stick to the best stuff people, it makes a difference. (Only not during the war, that's a good way to hate yourself later on)

Re: Tanning page 05/04/2004 04:20 AM CDT
>>Teeklin>>Yeah, if you can't afford the hele'las, where are you gonna get the money to special order inferior warcat tooth arrows

Because if they're not in that much demand they will likely go cheap. Or, since you seem to be such a philanthropist I am sure you will make them for free for anyone who asks, right?

>>Teeklin>>Fact is, there's a reason no one sells Boar, Els, Angis, and Warcat arrows

Yep, but not the reason you give. Except boar, they DO stink. Elsralael, slightly better than storebought if used with high quality wood and reasonable performance. Angiswaerd, not sure haven't felt the need to wreck my bonus and go find out. Warcat, already stated their relative performance and find it acceptable.

Just because you have this complex where you must have the best or nothing, don't assume the rest of us are so similarly handicapped, eh?

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Tanning page 05/04/2004 04:32 AM CDT
>>Because if they're not in that much demand they will likely go cheap.

Wrong. In order for someone to get those arrows, they would have to special order them from a fletcher who would have to go and kill them, pound them, and fletch the arrows. Whereas all the fletchers are doing that all the way out in Hara. It would cost quite a bit more, even though they are inferior.

>>Yep, but not the reason you give.

Yes the reason I give. Materials are just like woods, Special K. You got 100 ranks, you can make some 100/600 hele'las if you have the mech. You got 600 ranks and you use Elsralael teeth, you'll be making 600/400 arrows.

There is absolutely no benefit to making or using warcat arrowheads unless you can't pound hele'la teeth...and if you don't have the mech for hele'la teeth, you'll be hard-pressed to pound the warcats anyway...there really isn't near as big a difference in pounding difficulty as there is in end result.

And for the record, Elsralels make arrows that appraise like the old "capped" hele'las with mod slice...but compare less, and are identical to warcat. Angis is just under those and boar is awful.

>> Or, since you seem to be such a philanthropist I am sure you will make them for free for anyone who asks, right?

Wouldn't waste my time with those crap arrowheads.

>>Just because you have this complex where you must have the best or nothing, don't assume the rest of us are so similarly handicapped, eh?

It's not a complex, it's the market. You can buy a mod slice 18 stone scimitar for 5 plat, or you can buy a lower end mod slice 26 stone scimitar for 5 plat...why would you chose the lesser scimitar? And if they lowered the price to a point where people would buy the lesser scimitar, it wouldn't even be worth it to make them. It's the same with armor, and it's the same with fletched goods.

Re: Tanning page 05/06/2004 05:55 PM CDT
Krin.

There was a blank I could help fill on one of those charts. Reinforced Leathers take 10 pieces. For apping here are the ones I have on in TF. They aren't the best I have made, but they are the ones I have on. I rejected all tanned hides worth less then 900 kronars, to make them. Thanks for sites like yours, that help out the peeps, just learning these systems. Any idea how light the perfects will be?

The gargoyle-hide leathers are leather armor.

The leathers look like they offer protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that some superior gargoyle-hide leathers appear to impose high maneuvering hindrance and offers:
high protection and moderate damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and moderate damage absorption for slice attacks.
high protection and moderate damage absorption for impact attacks.
low protection and moderate damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and moderate damage absorption for cold attacks.
moderate protection and moderate damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only maneuvering in some superior gargoyle-hide leathers you would be unhindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently unhindered.

You are certain that the gargoyle-hide leathers are very strong, and are in pristine condition.

The gargoyle-hide leathers are fairly soft.
You are confident that the gargoyle-hide leathers weighs about 335 stones.
You are certain that the gargoyle-hide leathers are worth exactly 865 lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Vandmore's voice on Gretrieg's Account

Gretrieg & Krew,

Gretrieg, Yachy, Xentago, Armas, Brij/Wuden, Vandmore and the White Raven