Trailhop script 04/22/2004 12:07 AM CDT
Krin, I downloaded the update to your scouting script and noticed the 'inv hands'command is new, but I can't seem to make the script work now because it tells me that I can only type ahead 2 commands, and for some reason I can't open the script to remove that command. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Seck

"War must be...but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.."
Re: Trailhop script 04/22/2004 01:27 AM CDT
Hrm. Well, the last update was just a quick release, really, to get all the new trails (except for the one in GoS, I haven't eyeballed it myself yet) included. It really REALLY needs a total revamp.

Expect a bunch of updates "soon" as unfortunately the hospital we are at has decided to cancel all travelers so we won't be getting a renewal like we hoped, which is going to make going to SimuCon this year a challenge. We'd have to either take 3-4 weeks off, or try to negotiate a week off only one week into a new contract with a hospital she's never been to before <wince>. Bear in mind, this job doesn't come with paid vacation ... no contract, no paycheck.

Also means we'll be without a connection for a while and even when we get settled in we'll be on dialup til we can get DSL turned on (again). I'll likely be spending a lot of that offline time working on site updates (thank goodness for laptops), including an all-new version of the trailhopping script that will hopefully take care of a few issues. Sorry, but one issue that would be WAY too cumbersome to get around is making the script usable at all skill levels. It's intended for people who can run all the trails. I have to hard-wire in the route it takes, trying to readjust the route on the fly to account for trails it can't run due to skill would make the script so monstrous and cumbersome it would likely be impossible to debug.

Especially for people who use the Wizard, the script engine is just too crippled to have a lot of variety, you wouldn't believe the workarounds I came up with for that, but it made scripts much longer than they had to be just to do what should have been simple tasks.

I will, however, try to remember to include one exception to that rule and make it so the script will bypass the longest trail currently known, Rossman/fens, if the user doesn't have the skill. At least that should keep it usable by the vast majority of people who would need it.

<ponders>

Perhaps it might even be feasible to include an option to simply hop the same trail set back and forth between two points, I'll add that to the list too. Stay tuned.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Trailhop script 04/22/2004 02:04 AM CDT
Where might i be able to download the script?

~~ Wrynkler
Re: Trailhop script 04/22/2004 06:26 AM CDT
http://www.lucerella.com/krinahd/TrailNotes.html

He's got a nice site with a good amount of Ranger info on it,but thats the specific page where the script is.

Izzit
Master Tanner in Training

You hand Wyla a baby wolf.

Wyla looks at you and says, "I'm sorry Izzit, I only work on weapons, armor and shields." She hands the wolf back.

Re: Trailhop script 04/22/2004 12:35 PM CDT
Well, I certainly understand travel issues. I'm a nurse myself, although we stay in one place (kind of hard to drag the husband and 4 kids around the country).

Since I'm really script-impaired, do you have any ideas why I wouldn't be able to open the script to edit it like I can with other scripts that I have? I was thinking that I could just take out the command to "inv hands" which I think would solve my problem. I'm not premie, and I'm wondering if DR just isn't letting me type ahead 3 commands.

Anyway, thanks for the great script and webpage!

-Seck

"War must be...but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.."
Re: Trailhop script 04/22/2004 12:36 PM CDT
>>Izzit>>He's got a nice site with a good amount of Ranger info on it,but thats the specific page where the script is.

Thank you for the nice compliment even though the site still isn't up to my own expectations, too many dead pages that need finishing. Hence why I haven't submitted it for the Play.Net links page yet. <sigh>

On that note, ignore everything I said yesterday about our contract. This hospital is getting stupid about saving their budget, not only are they laying people off, but all the travelers just got a call telling them their contracts have been cancelled ... tomorrow is her last day. <flail>

So I am going to be relatively invisible for a week, maybe two, depending on how this goes. The company is bound to pay for the apartment until the end of the original contract, so at least on the bright side we can stay here until the new contract is decided and don't have to pay the daily rate. And making it to the Con will be easier, a lot more likely a hospital will approve a week off when it's not a week after the contract starts.

Dang it, I gotta start packing and have no idea where we're going yet.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Trailhop script 04/22/2004 12:48 PM CDT
>>do you have any ideas why I wouldn't be able to open the script to edit it like I can with other scripts that I have?

That's wierd, there shouldn't be a problem. However, the Wizard is antiquated in how it does things, if you saved the script while the Wizard was open and then tried to edit it, it might have a problem in finding it. If nothing else, just do the same thing I did to create/edit it myself ... open Notepad and then open the script as if it were a TXT file.

>>I was thinking that I could just take out the command to "inv hands" which I think would solve my problem. I'm not premie, and I'm wondering if DR just isn't letting me type ahead 3 commands.

Um, I wouldn't. The script SHOULD function properly as long as you are in the proper room for a trailmarker if you did that. But the whole purpose of sending that command is to make sure some sort of default messaging comes through that the script can trap to know something went wrong because it saw "You are holding" before it saw any other messaging it was expecting. Removing that command could cause it to hang.

Or not function altogether if it's in the worst spot in the script, where that command was needed because there were more MATCHes than the Wizard allows in a single batch (32). Thank God for Genie, all the ease of the Wizard with 10 times the power. Simu really needs to look at sponsoring them as an official FE. I feel like I am lobotomizing myself when tweaking my scripts down so they will work with the Wizard. :-D Though for the most part they would work as-is with eScape, just a few commands even eScape wouldn't recognize (like Genie's IF...THEN statement or an ACTION, how Genie sets up triggers within a script).

BTW, Premies only get 2 type-aheads, as a non-Premie the messaging comes in about only being able to type ahead one line, but I know what you meant. I'm Premium myself, so I tend to utilize the full power of that, my scripts would be even more cumbersome without it. When I revamp the script from scratch I will look at changing how it takes care of business so I can make it more friendly to users who aren't Premium without having to jump through too many hoops to do it.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Trailhop script 04/22/2004 12:52 PM CDT
Got it. Thanks!

-Seck

Re: Trailhop script 04/23/2004 04:01 AM CDT
<<BTW, Premies only get 2 type-aheads, as a non-Premie the messaging comes in about only being able to type ahead one line, but I know what you meant. I'm Premium myself, so I tend to utilize the full power of that, my scripts would be even more cumbersome without it. When I revamp the script from scratch I will look at changing how it takes care of business so I can make it more friendly to users who aren't Premium without having to jump through too many hoops to do it.

I learned long ago when writing scripts, that in order to get around this you have to make a few simple adjustments

Startup:
put command
match startup ...wait
match startup You may only type
match Continue whatever
Matchwait

These 2 lines have gotten my scripts through some of the worst lag. I still use them in Genie, in spite of autoreconnect and the triggers which you help me set up that automatically reenter the last command. Thanks again for the help btw.

Mole

AIM ~ Jasperjohn DR

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Help. Help. If anyone reads this I am being held prisoner by an evil Eunuch. Help.
Re: Trailhop script 04/23/2004 09:04 AM CDT
>match startup You may only type

Replace with:

match startup Sorry, you may only

Aeg
Re: Trailhop script 04/23/2004 12:18 PM CDT
Maybe make two different scripts. One for the wizard and one for escape. I usually put a remark at the beginning of my scripts indicating that it works with escape only. However, I only have a few that don't work with the wizard as I like to get them to work with both because I use both.

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Trailhop script 04/23/2004 02:41 PM CDT
>>Maybe make two different scripts. One for the wizard and one for escape.

That's a given, if I wanted to make an eScape/Genie version.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."