"No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/15/2004 11:29 AM CST
As I recall, the phrase comes from a book in Kalika's library, and if my memory serves, was written by Striderr to chronicle an event that happened in the early history of DR. I remember reading it when Kerella was a novice, and I probably ought to reread it.

My question is, what does it mean to you?

What it means to me is pretty vague. I've geared-up novices, shown them how to hunt, and stood guard over complete strangers as they empty their graves. To me, it means that you have a friend, somewhere, when you are in most dire need of one, even if it's one you've never met. It also means that I am that friend. It doesn't mean that that friend will show you the easy path, but better yet, how to make your own trail.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/15/2004 11:56 AM CST
What it means to me is that every Ranger is part of a brotherhood. But that brotherhood is not blind loyalty, it is enduring faith. Betray that faith and it will leave you. Nurture it, and it will never fail you.

Marines can't lay a finger on just how seriously a DR Ranger takes Semper Fidelis.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/15/2004 01:37 PM CST
Well said.

It means I remember those who have gone before me and don't disapoint them as I travel the path too.

Sadly, many who have walked the trail before me aren't around anymore.

A dusk ogre stomps in from the down, glaring about in rage.
You are Peperic Timarson, a Gor'Tog.
You have grey eyes. You have green-grey skin.

You appear to be dead! Other than that...

You are in good shape.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/15/2004 02:49 PM CST
>>Krin>>Marines can't lay a finger on just how seriously a DR Ranger takes Semper Fidelis.

If a DR Ranger could understand Latin, that is.

~Thilan

"Expanding before fortifying makes bad bridge design."
-From Hell
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/15/2004 05:26 PM CST
<Marines can't lay a finger on just how seriously a DR Ranger takes Semper Fidelis.>

I sincerely hope you mean in an RP sense. If thats the case, then sure fine.

To me its blind loyalty.

When Slitz wasted that empath and the whole realms was after him, I was one of the first if only to get ahold of him and say "Hey Ranger, if some worthless paladin manages to track you down I got your back"

SOOG
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/15/2004 07:15 PM CST
I don't think that blind loyalty is ever good nor should ever be advised. A ranger should think for themself and use their own judgement in a situation.

To me, the motto, "No Ranger Stands Alone" is a statement that while we may be seperate and act as lone wolves, there are still those that we can relate to. Those who have walked the same path, experienced similar things and share a somewhat similiar background.

I don't believe that such a motto should ever be used to bind a ranger to helping someone if it goes against their beliefs. And I think anyone who tries to use such a motto as that kind of flimsy paper shield to help them when they've bitten off more than they can chew deserve no such respect at all.

My beliefs, are my beliefs. I help who I want depending on what I feel is right. If anyone has a problem with that, tough. I can stand on my own two feet. So should all rangers be able to.

- Saharia Junishin, Prydaen Ranger
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/15/2004 07:16 PM CST
i was there when he did it :oP

Now i remember you Soggie!

Player of Jrendel

Da Madd Webba aka Da Truth aka too Real for TV

You might as well pay attention since your behind can't afford free speech

Denial is not just a river in Egypt!"....

I'm like a pee stained mattress, don't sleep on me!
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/15/2004 08:03 PM CST
umm so its killing me...

What was the name of that empath??? Still around? Side note, I noticed Savage Sophrona...thats pretty weird.

Also, Slitz had this cool signature...the "something" Archer...??? Shadow Archer was Zovyn I think, Slitz was like the Deadly Archer or something?

BTW those were fun times, when there were actually evil people in the realms (especially Hald and the ferry gang) battling with the good guys (or atleast the guys fighting the bad guys - da Rock and co., uh cant remember any other names, I think they killed Soim once or twice ), too bad DR simply locks out evil characters.

SOOG
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/15/2004 11:33 PM CST
<<What was the name of that empath??? >>

Dellica
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/16/2004 01:51 AM CST
gawd i remember her 10 page post on everything, oh man the good ol days. I remember Kopollo and his tincan brother always in the deadfall, i remember always being asked to drag someone out of the deadfall, i remember when you could tell if someone was a asery ranger by how many climbing ranks they had, i remember the 20+ rt's on swimming, i remember snare taking me into stalkers at 20th circle and fighting on the bridge, i remember the kick the can raids with rawb, i remember when you were afraid to depart when Hald and the gang were in the area.

Oh the good ol days.

Da Madd Webba aka Da Truth aka too Real for TV

You might as well pay attention since your behind can't afford free speech

Denial is not just a river in Egypt!"....

I'm like a pee stained mattress, don't sleep on me!
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/16/2004 07:09 AM CST
>>Also, Slitz had this cool signature...the "something" Archer...???

He signed as the Young Archer, I believe. Been a while, heh.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/16/2004 01:24 PM CST
There are always those who profess blind loyalty.

What can you say? Some people prefer to hold onto some things no matter where they are going. There are certainly places where people like that will flourish.

I'd rather know someone has blind loyalty than a mixed or confused loyalty.

As for Sylviir, he tries not be blind but does not always make the best choices either. He does try to remain true to himself though which is even more important to him than a 'rangers path'.

Sylviir is a ranger out of his own personal fit to what the guild offers and what he likes, not because of all the things a guild leader has said to him about a rangers path. However, some of those things do mesh with how Sylviir is and some do not.

sylviir

Kunstrukshun
Cignichur
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/29/2004 06:00 PM CST
Well...

To me I've always thought of rangers often being a solitary profession. However, whether in groups, pairs or alone, we are all part of a whole. This whole might be defined as nature or the nature of us. Thus a ranger alone stands knowing they are part of something bigger. Alone also feels like something apart from physically alone. The ranger profession in the realms has often been a trying one. It takes a certain mental steel to continue down this path.

Personally, I spend alot of time by myself in the realms. However, I know I share a bond with other rangers. Or at least I know I used to. I don't know the currents of many rangers these days, but I know there are those I can still count on.

Not so much a tagline as a cry for help.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/29/2004 07:04 PM CST
We're all spread farther apart, but the bond is there.

I remember some pieces of advice you gave me, Telemann, YEARS ago, while hunting in the Gash. I pass them on whenever I can, and they have served me well.

~Dulcinia

"Just when you think things can't possibly get any worse, you come to find out that yes, yes they can." --me
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/29/2004 08:28 PM CST
>>I remember some pieces of advice you gave me, Telemann, * Editors note - Insert "MANY" here * YEARS ago, while hunting in the Gash. I pass them on whenever I can, and they have served me well.

Oh and back on topic, hehe, uhmm guess I ain't got nothing on topic to say. So I guess I'm gonna run now (literally).

Rej
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 11/29/2004 08:42 PM CST
Just wait till I find you, furball.

~Dulcinia

"Just when you think things can't possibly get any worse, you come to find out that yes, yes they can." --me
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/27/2005 09:51 PM CST
NO Ranger Stands alone. Meaning that no ranger, anywhere, has to stand by himself. As long as I draw breath, no ranger will ever fight the good fight alone.

OOC From the beginning of my stint on the boards, that has always been my signature, and always will be. Rantjur lives his life by those 4 words. No Ranger Stands Alone.

You tap a leather cuff embroidered with the words "No Ranger stands alone." that you are wearing.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/28/2005 06:13 AM CST
<<NO Ranger Stands alone. Meaning that no ranger, anywhere, has to stand by himself. As long as I draw breath, no ranger will ever fight the good fight alone.>>

ditto except for the word "good"...if its a fight its a fight :)
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/28/2005 10:50 PM CST
Never leave a man behind.

No Ranger Stands Alone.

As far as I am concerned, no matter how much I may hate you, no matter how often we may exchange 'pleasantries', you can bet I am coming after you if you die.

Pfanston, Enstine and I are the 'Ilithi Drag Squad'. We don't leave our friends dead.

And our friends are our breathren.

No Ranger Stands Alone.

You tap a leather cuff embroidered with the words "No Ranger stands alone." that you are wearing.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/29/2005 02:23 AM CST
It means alot more than just dragging a dead Rangah or helping out in a fight...good bad or otherwise.

For me,I remember when I was but a young Tenderfoot and how MANY other Rangahs helped with equipment,training,etc. And so far that still seems to be the case with most Rangahs.

To me thats the basis of the phrase,of all the guilds I've tried to play (all but Trader and Teef) the Rangahs were always the ones who were willing to give a younger Rangah things to help them out,or take them hunting,etc.

While it also includes standing at ones side in battle,and dragging their corpse to a Cleric,it encompasses much more IMHO.

Izzit
Master Tanner In Training
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/29/2005 12:11 PM CST
I've never gotten into the whole no ranger stands alone thing. As it happens, I walk alone.

If I see another ranger, sure, I'm a bit friendlier to them than to others that are not. Its understandable, other rangers have been through the same trials, the same training, the same difficulties. We share common experiences, and so of course there is a closeness that is gained from that shared experience.

That said, if I see another person go down, I help. If I am told of someone needing aid, I help. But if I dont see, or if I'm not asked to help, then I don't. I have other things I'm doing. Long journeys require special circumstances or friends or both, for me to be willing to help. Am I more willing to help another ranger then someone of another guild? Absolutly not. I'll help anyone if they need it.

Mole

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN!
After the stampede the artist Three Solid Frogs got to his feet, retrieved his brush from his nostril, pulled his easel out of a tree, and tried to think placid thoughts.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/29/2005 12:43 PM CST
>>>I walk alone.

Down the Boulevard of Broken Dreams?

~Dulcinia

All we need is love and beer.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/29/2005 12:59 PM CST
Doh!

Stand, I meant Stand alone! Stupid songs in my head.

Mole

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN!
After the stampede the artist Three Solid Frogs got to his feet, retrieved his brush from his nostril, pulled his easel out of a tree, and tried to think placid thoughts.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/29/2005 02:40 PM CST
yeah, you know when you stand alone
you prefer to be by yourself

Sylvado

"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for everyone takes a salutory pleasure in proving their falseness."
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/29/2005 09:48 PM CST
No Ranger Stands Alone? Is that how it goes? I thought it was No Ranger Drinks Alone...I like both of them though.

-Ariwin
-Any jackass can fall off a barstool, a real man rides it to the ground.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 01/31/2005 09:30 AM CST
Only you, Ariwin, me mate!

Show everyone your tatoo!

Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 02/02/2005 08:41 AM CST
Seems folks forget the second part of the Phrase

"No Ranger stands alone.. if they are buying..

Seei

"May your pack be light and your heart be full "
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 02/02/2005 05:29 PM CST
No Ranger stands alone is a very powerful thing, and I think it should be the rangers greatest strength. However most guilds do thing things that have been sugjested. Draging people to the clerics when they fall, helping out a new member, or backing each other up. So i would wonder how does this creed really set rangers appart from other guilds. In most guilds, with the possible exclusion of the paladin guild (though even with them you could find this) you would find those willing to use their skills to help, or harm others. I would think that to really understand this creed maybe we should take a look at what the ranger is, a hunter and tracker. We go places just to explore, or maybe because we've never been there before. We hunt for food, and protect the woodlands from incursion of unnatural creatures. Also we fight to keep those creatures from seiging the cities and towns. Most of the time we do this alone, but we know that we may need to relie on others aswell, and we know that in those times of need weather it is our own need or some one else's need we can turn to other rangers and ask for help. We also know, that in that same sense, we are a family, we will squabble at times, or share in the cups together. As with any family we will have our ups and downs but if push comes to shove we will set those grevinces aside to aid a brother or sister. That to me is what "no ranger stands alone" means. Mainly, I think it means that if ever a task needs to be done that is greater then any one person we would come together as a group to complete it.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 02/05/2005 05:37 PM CST
It means we stand together, not just when its convenient or comfortable. We are family.

I wandered into Arzmous when I was a tiny Ranger who had no business there. They drug me all over till I was hopelessly lost. Who came after me? Older rangers.

It means I sit and teach, help outfit, take little ones hunting, serve as a guide, and if a Ranger goes down in some forsaken place I know I will die going into alone, I still find a way to get them out of there.

It means if something is coming after a ranger in an invasion that I have no way to hit, I still do what I can to help, not just turn tail and run. For instance, I pull out my bow and aim so that the multi is there, prepare to drag, keep my wits about me, but I don't just run and leave my fellow Ranger standing there.

We stand together. It does not mean I always blindly back someone, though. Sometimes being family means you stand up to someone and tell them the uncomfortable truth.

It means when I go down at the ends of the realms and there are no clerics and no paladins and no empaths, I look up and see a ranger with my weapon in hand dragging me to a safe room, feeding me herbs so I will have a chance to climb back to my grave after I depart, and I know they will stand guard over my grave till I can get back.

It means when I go exploring and get to where I have no business being, I run into an older Ranger who chuckles when I explain I am exploring and gets me out of there saftely, a bit of pride in his manner.

It means when I am with an older Ranger teaching me or leading me, I am not talked down to or demeaned and my need for independance and to explore are recognized and respected. It means I extend the same when I am the teacher and guide.

I see a bit of this in other guilds, but it only goes so far.

I was in a unit in the Outcast War of Rangers for one event prior I believe to the Outcasts actually revealing who and what they were. We hid, and waited, classes quietly going on. At one point we came out of hiding, wave after wave of us. It was awesome.

I extend this attitude to friends and family. I have other characters in other guilds. They do have comradery but not to this extent. The closest I have come to experiencing this feeling is in the Bard guild. But then Bards have a spell that lets them send their death cry to one another.

I guess that's not too articulate, but that's what it means to me.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 02/11/2005 12:39 PM CST
Without being too philosophical here, I believe it was once said

"Gentlemen, we shall all hang together, or surely we shall all hang seperately."

Rangers stand side by side. No one can break the bonds of comradeship between two rangers.

Brothers (and sisters.) in guild, in training, in life.

Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 02/11/2005 01:39 PM CST
<<<Rangers stand side by side. No one can break the bonds of comradeship between two rangers.>>>

Sorry, I do not consider you a brother. I think you know why. That is all I will say.

Asterid
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 03/09/2005 12:48 AM CST
Very nice way to put it Drakewarlord... and very much the way I see it too.

Tylarn
Re: "No Ranger Stands Alone" - what does it mean to you? 04/14/2005 08:14 PM CDT
This bracer has been designed well enough to stand up to years of use. A design within the bloodgems consists of a hawk gliding proud and ready above a Ranger, who is aiming his longbow into the distance. Stamped into the underside of the bracer are the words, "Hawkman of the Rangers. N.R.S.A."

Hehe...

Hawkman who?

"B. R."