Philosophy 03/25/2002 01:19 PM CST
A-
*MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/21/2004 04:37 AM CST
To start off, there are many different angles to look at a ranger. But, all rangers share one common trait, and that is what makes us unique.

Ranger is not a profession, but rather a lifestyle that each ranger defines for him or herself. The common ground we all stand on is simply our ability to survive in the wild. Whether in the desert, forests, or up in the mountains, a ranger will survive by his skills.

We can have the nobility of a paladin to protect the weak. We can have the rage of a barbarian to kill our foes. We can have the patience of an empath to deal with the naive. And we can have the stealth of a thief to spy on our enemies. We are every guild and yet, not.

A ranger is as reclusive as the wild is fierce. Yes, we can stick with others when it is necessary. But seldom will you see a ranger hunting in a group. A ranger can have the compassion to drag an injured friend out of combat... but can also have the anger to drag them back in.

The questions shouldn't be "What is a ranger?", but rather, "What isn't a ranger?"

I know that a lot of fellow ranger go through their entire lives not really knowing what a ranger is supposed to be, or supposed to do. Well, if you're asking yourself that while sitting in a tall tree cleaning some skins, you're already doing it. One of the greatest things about being a ranger; we are not bound to one path. Much like the branches of a tree, the ranger's path goes in all different directions, but are all rooted to the same place.

Ranger Larzul VonMarn of Therengia
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/21/2004 08:42 AM CST
>>Larzul>>Much like the branches of a tree, the ranger's path goes in all different directions, but are all rooted to the same place.

Wow that's a great image, right up there with "No Ranger Stands Alone."

~Thilan
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/21/2004 11:30 AM CST
very well said Larzul.

~Akashera

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness; Nothing is so gentle as real strength."
De Sales

<<Virge says, "Ritamaga bee geeyabo ra hihitoganee?"
<<Virge says, "Boobibayeemeelee?"
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/21/2004 01:32 PM CST
Well said, Larzul.

Espectially:

>>Much like the branches of a tree, the ranger's path goes in all different directions, but are all rooted to the same place.

I may well get that symbol put on my shield.

-pete
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/21/2004 04:22 PM CST
Agreed. Beautifully put.

Jalika
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/21/2004 05:58 PM CST
Well said. It should be an IG book. Paklin, make it so. Please.

I am Pep-tog.
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/21/2004 06:50 PM CST
would be great to incorporate that into the new guildhall in some way.

Quidri

"I rule the midnight air, the destroyer."
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/22/2004 05:03 AM CST
Thank you. I'm glad you all liked it. :)

Larzul

"Because, as we all know, the path that leads straight to hell is paved with lead miniatures and polyhedral dice!"
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 09:36 AM CST
You just started that philosophy class didn't you?

Hehe...kidding.

Very well said and the part about the tree works well.

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 10:09 AM CST
Actually, now that you say it, I took philosophy for two years back in college... but it's a useless class. Philosophy classes are only there to teach you how to a philosophy teacher who teaches more philosophy classes.

In either event, I would like to incorporate the tree design into something, but how do you word that for something in DR?

Larzul

"Because, as we all know, the path that leads straight to hell is paved with lead miniatures and polyhedral dice!"
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 10:12 AM CST
<<Philosophy classes are only there to teach you how to a philosophy teacher who teaches more philosophy classes.

Then you missed the point.

Sylvado

"It's not much of an adventure without risk."
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 11:15 AM CST
>Much like the branches of a tree, the ranger's path goes in all different directions, but are all rooted to the same place.

>In either event, I would like to incorporate the tree design into something, but how do you word that for something in DR?

Look cloak.

Artfully embroidered into the cloak, is an image depcting a large many branched tree that represents how, though rangers may take many different paths, they; are all rooted to the same place, keep a commonality between them; share a common bond.

Something like that perhaps.

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 01:19 PM CST
<<Then you missed the point.

I was kidding. ;)

Larzul

Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 01:56 PM CST
Very well put Larzul.

How about something like this in a guildhall?

Etched into the wall is an amazingly detailed rendering of the tree of life.
> l tree
Examining the etching closer, you see that the tree is comprised entirely of countless miniscule lines. Each line begins at the base of the tree and winds it's way up and out to form the branches, then continues along eventually taking it's own path becoming a leaf on the tree.

Scribed into the wall just below the tree are the words <insert catchy phrase here>

- Tarmerdes
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 02:12 PM CST
Very nice, Tarm! You could have your catchy phrase like "Rangers: many branches, common roots" or "Rangers never fall far from the tree" or "If your family tree has only one branch, you might be a Ranger!" or something.

You need to take the apostrophe out of its though. <hides>

Alle

Instigator of Liberation for Hara'Jaal
It's a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere.

"In college, that's a travel. In the NBA, it's a slam dunk." ~ Steve Buchantz
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 02:57 PM CST
Krin posted his altered thigh bag in ramblings and he has a mantra as the read verb, so that's one way to incorporate it.

You could do something like "a <whatever> embossed/engraved/stitched with a mighty oak tree," have a look along the lines of "A mighty oak tree reaches out into the air, it's branches outstretched towards the sun. Below the thick trunk roots delve like Dwarven miners deep into the earth, seeking out the nutrients essential for life. You notice a crouching mountain lion carved into the trunk of the tree." And then your motto as the read.

I've got a book of stuff like this. Dangit, I've been playing this game for eight years, I WANT AN ALTERATION!!!

~Crybaby Thilan
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 03:59 PM CST
>Much like the branches of a tree, the ranger's path goes in all different directions, but are all rooted to the same place.

>In either event, I would like to incorporate the tree design into something, but how do you word that for something in DR?

I'll take this one:

a weather-stained traveling cloak

Woven into the fabric is the shadowy image of a large branching tree. Embroidered among its limbs are the words:

<<Like the branches of a tree,
the path of the Ranger
In many and all directions goes;
But all and many
Rooted strong
To the same and solid place.
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 07:24 PM CST
Slight side note, I love the carvings at the top of the geni tree. First time I saw it felt quite proud.

Jalika
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 08:52 PM CST
>Slight side note, I love the carvings at the top of the geni tree. First time I saw it felt quite proud.

i've always wondered if there is a story somewhere about how that got there... who carved it? or whatnot. for some reason my line of ranges has always had a fascination with "hmmm, i wonder whats at the top of that?" ::chuckle::

which would account for part of the reason of my second ranger walking... peering up at the greater fist thinking "hmmm, i wonder whats up there?"

speaking of the greater fist... anyone seen tim lately? or know what became of em? been quite a long time since ive seen em wanderin around the realms...

Quidri

"I rule the midnight air, the destroyer."
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 02/23/2004 09:08 PM CST
I heard a couple years ago that good ol' Timothy moved to Leth Deriel, but I never saw him there (of course, I really don't spend time there).

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S. Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: *MY* Ranger Philosophy 04/04/2004 12:39 AM CST
In spirit with your metaphor, I'm an acorn, and there's few places I'd rather be.

--Mrrar Aibyouka
Ranger Philosophy... 06/12/2004 12:38 AM CDT
what a joke. (Did I post that out loud?)
Re: Ranger Philosophy... 06/12/2004 02:26 AM CDT
<<(Did I post that out loud?)

Technically... no... since posts are read, not heard. Now, if you read it outloud to yourself, then yes, but only you would hear it or those in your immediate area.

And no, Ranger Philosophy isn't a joke, especially to those who know what it is.

Larzul VonMarn

"That's the most foul and cruel-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!" - Tim the Enchanter
Re: Ranger Philosophy... 06/12/2004 06:23 AM CDT
If a Ranger tells a joke to a tree and no one laughs.. is it still funny?

If you've ever stood under an oak and were sure that acorn was meant for you, raise your hands. Two points if there wasn't a squirrel above. One point if there wasn't an owl. Seven points if there wasn't a snake (hey, ya can't be too sure.) Twelve points if you'll admit to knowing what I'm talking about.

If it was the wind, just blush and move on.

~Kyrrian
Re: Ranger Philosophy... 07/08/2004 05:56 PM CDT
I see what you're saying, it's better to be an acorn than a nut aye? Or is it better to be a Ranger than an acorn? Maybe if you're a Ranger you're a nut, but that goes without saying. So what are you if you're a Paladin? I'd assume a pecan, but I'm not really that sure, they never let me get close enough to taste.
Re: Ranger Philosophy... 07/13/2004 08:07 PM CDT
<<So what are you if you're a Paladin? I'd assume a pecan, but I'm not really that sure, they never let me get close enough to taste.

I think paladins are pistachios, with the hard shell and whatnot. Maybe walnuts.
Re: Ranger Philosophy... 07/14/2004 06:06 AM CDT
Pistachios huh? I can see that, but the real answer will come when we manage to hold one down long enough to crack it open and have a taste. Might I recomend Lady Snow....mmmm Paladin goodness....
Re: Ranger Philosophy... 07/15/2004 10:53 PM CDT
<<Pistachios huh? I can see that, but the real answer will come when we manage to hold one down long enough to crack it open and have a taste. Might I recomend Lady Snow....mmmm Paladin goodness....

I don't know this Lady Snow... but I'm laughing anyway :)

Thanks.
Re: Ranger Philosophy... 07/16/2004 10:58 PM CDT
You don't know Lady Snow?! Why she's the Paladin guild leader in Shard, nice Elven hussy with black hair and the kind of plate mail you'd like to nibble on for a week. I'd always wanted to see her and Tomma have a nice wrestling match in a pit of taffleberry pudding, I'd offer me assistance as a towel lad for team Ranga if it ever happens, Tomma, Snow, taffleberry pudding and a spoon...yum yum

-Ariwin
-Any jackass can fall off a barstool, a real man rides it to the ground.
Personal Philosophy 08/27/2004 04:31 AM CDT
I wrote something a month back after seeing your posts here. This.... essay was never meant to define solely Elanthian Rangers as a Guild, but my conception of Rangers as a whole.

===

The most plain characteristic of the Ranger is his affinity to nature. This comes difficult to tackle. What isn't natural? In truth, there is no such thing as unnatural: everything was made, and even the so-called supernatural is bound by that which Is. Thus, it is indeed possible to have a Ranger that has an affinity to the environs within a high-tech metropolis.

It is therefore inaccurate to say that a Ranger has an affinity to nature. Rather, a Ranger typically has an affinity for some particular milieu. They have an extremely strong understanding of a particular area, a knowledge of it that goes beyond even an exceptional inhabitant. The placement of every stone and leaf is in their awareness; pass by a changed scene and they'll notice. Consider Batman: his milieu is Gotham City. Most superheroes have some aspects of the Ranger; you'll see them move rapidly towards a known location when they need to escape or draw pursuit, for instance, because they know their turf perfectly.

So is this affinity knowledge? No. Affinity is different from knowledge. Rather, I have pointed out a different Ranger characteristic: intimate knowledge of battleground. While most capable persons are able to hold their own on foreign soil redoubtably, it is a foolish defender who fails to know as many potential fields of battle as is possible. And most easy is the homeground, because you are there more often than not.

A Ranger's affinity derives from his knowledge. The more intimate you are with an environment, the more affection and enjoyment can be derived from it. Therein lies affinity. Then again, there the circle closes, because you would be unlikely to choose your home there to develop the knowledge in the first place, had you not that affinity. In truth, this is a chicken-and-egg debate: it does not matter which came first, only that both are there.

So, two characteristics of a Ranger: he possesses intimate knowledge of his chosen homeground; he has an affinity for that homeground.

Next is a characteristic I mentioned in passing a few paragraphs up: defender. A Ranger is charged with a simple mission: defend the homeground to your last breath. For the Dunedain, this was the Shire; for the kirath, this was Silvanost. But there is the question of why.

Why defend this homeground? It is a question any defender should ask, and for a Ranger, this question is more blatant in its necessity for answering. There are many reasons for this defense, and it varies with the individual. Most true Rangers have the question answered. Sometimes it has to do with their affinity.

Another characteristic is that a Ranger is reclusive. There is something about invisibility, about being in shadows unseen, that appeals to them. Well, I step over my bounds; it is simply that a Ranger prefers not to take upon himself any crucial and overt responsibility that they do not deem essential. How did Aragorn appear first in Lord of the Rings? As a tall man, cloaked and cowled in the corner of the inn.

So the question, again, is presented: why? Rangers are knowledgeable, intimate defenders. Why are they reclusive? There are multiple reasons for this, and they explain other facets of the Ranger archetype as well. The first is a Great Hurt. Pain causes them to withdraw from society, yet something draws them back, but only morally (a poor word choice..). It ends up that the Ranger is not truly connected to society, but rather hovers on its edge or steps into the fringe at best. The second is Purity. The Ranger always recognizes a failure within mankind to become great doers of good. Thus in a sense their withdrawal also serves as a shield; the taint will not spread to them. Connected to this is the third reason, Trial. Their habit is to place themselves past the edge of complacency into a state where they cannot afford to become completely carefree. In the company of many, the herd mentality pervades; there is no danger unless the entire group is endangered, and you can always flee to the group to use it as a shield. The Ranger refuses to do such; they wish to be competent and capable actors without reliance on others. And the last reason is a curious feature that I am not certain truly is a Ranger characteristic, but seems to pervade in all Rangers. And that is Introspection. Rangers have a propensity for thought. Now, perhaps this is a result of their reclusiveness, or it may be the reason; that varies. But society is not found on the lonely mountaintop, nor in the solitude of that cave from whence the waterfall flows. But the Ranger can often be found there.

Going through these reasons again, we see that they are also characteristics. All Rangers I know have suffered some form of pain that caused them to withdraw. But within this characteristic is another: Rangers are survivors. The pain they carry may have burned them. It may have caused them to step as close to death as any can. But a Ranger made can be marked by his will to step away from death, too. Perhaps even back into the social fold, for a time.

Such a purity as the one a Ranger seeks is scarce to be found in the busy bustle of life in the 21st century. This is why modern-day Rangers typically will prefer an excursion into some wildland when they can. Greenery, ocean, snow and mountain... these are purities that a Ranger can love. Soul, too, they can love, but it is much harder, ever harder. It is thus that a Ranger will love their world.

Perhaps it is a daredevil aspect, but more accurately it is a desire to battle rightly. Rangers love the wild for yet another reason than its beauties; the wild, if you spend enough time in it, will rise to challenge your right to remain. How will you eat, it asks, can you secure yourself nourishments? Can you be sure the water is safe to drink? What if a fierce animal appears, selecting you as nourishment; are you capable of surviving? It is little different in an urban jungle, of course, but the questions are harder to state, though much the same. Within the wild, however, lies the reminder of one's primal nature, and this primal aspect finds a belonging in the wilderness.

It is more than simple pursuit of excellence that keeps a Ranger on his toes. More than that, the Ranger is a defender, as stated above, and so must keep watch, being certain that enemies from abroad have little chance of harming their homeground. For the best defense is offense, a pre-emptive removal of threat before it strikes. But that is not to say that the Ranger eliminates all who might harm his homeground; the Ranger has suffered hurt, aye, but he rarely holds that grudge close. It is from cool reasoning that he makes his move, with discipline, not blind fury. Because of this, the Ranger must eternally stand guard over his homeground, perhaps making patrols where his intimate knowledge of the land ascertains that all is aright and no intruders have passed through.

Panic is one thing you never see in a Ranger. To panic is to die, when dangers beset you. Rather, serenity and stoicalness is a facet that can be learned simply by imitating the Ranger's manner. All at once, a Ranger is capable of being in all places his senses stretch to, and completely within himself. His affinity and intimate knowledge have tied him close to the land. Rangers are far less likely to act foolishly; those that have are typically torn apart by the merciless nature of their homeground. When they see themselves progressing poorly, they know the manner of assessing and correcting themselves. Perhaps it is the quiet that they are so used to: a Ranger will regard events in a cool and collected manner, unwilling to react unless necessity dictates immediacy, taking the time to understand the situation before selecting their course of action. Thus, they have taken onto themselves the nature of tranquility.

That in total, is the base foundation for a Ranger.

Affinity for and Intimate Knowledge of their homeground. A strong desire to Defend it. Reclusive, because they have suffered some Pain, seek some Purity, constantly keep themselves Sharpened and Vigilant, and possess Tranquility.

The individual takes this mold and shapes it to his or her own soul, pathing out their nature by themselves (because of the Recluse characteristic) and becoming complete individuals despite the fact that they are Ranger.

===

Leonnatus, Human Ranger
Re: Personal Philosophy 08/27/2004 09:28 AM CDT
Wow. I can't say that you hit it "right on the head" when it comes to describing my character, but you sure do come damn close.

Good essay. It was pleasurable reading. It makes me feel that though I am alone, there are others like me- so maybe I'm not really so alone after all.

I'm going to talk to Olwydd about placing this on his website, if you (and him) are willing? Credit will be given, of course. I think many people who do not read the boards would find this enlightening.

--Quelgash.
"Do not go where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail." -Emerson
Re: Personal Philosophy 08/27/2004 09:37 AM CDT
Very well said. Thank you.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Personal Philosophy 08/27/2004 11:50 AM CDT
I knew I should have taken the blue pill....

~ Striderr Slayn ~ Ranger

~ My Therapist told me I needed a New Sig line.
Re: Personal Philosophy 08/27/2004 02:20 PM CDT
<< I knew I should have taken the blue pill....

I took the green one. Tastes like sour apple... mmm.
Re: Personal Philosophy 08/28/2004 02:25 PM CDT
Olwydd's welcome to put it on his site. I don't mind it going around, but I'd like to know where it is and get attributation for it.

Good to know other people liked it, too.
Re: Personal Philosophy 09/02/2004 12:10 PM CDT
Wow...bravo!

That was well written.

I don't know how Sylviir fits into that picture though...maybe I'll think more about his character.

Anyway, well done.

sylviir

Tagline.zip

(Trying to save space)
Re: Personal Philosophy 09/12/2004 06:22 PM CDT
Very well written, it was a pleasure to read.

Kryllok and others

A seedy looking individual carrying a large sack walks in. He mutters something about "do unto others" before going east down the passage. Your sword has begun to glow very brightly!