Poaching with spears 10/18/2020 07:33 AM CDT
Okay, so I know I've been posting lots of suggestions lately, but I figure if I throw enough darts at the dart board, maybe one will hit.

I think that the poach verb should be extended for rangers to allow them to poach with thrown weapons. Think spear hunting. This is something that would be very flavorful to the ranger class and it makes sense for it to be a ranger ability given their propensity to hunt from the shadows. It would also be nice if it could train scouting.
Re: Poaching with spears 10/19/2020 12:21 AM CDT
Does poaching even exist anymore as a bonus under 3.0? For some reason I was under the impression that both the ambush and poach commands were essentially folded into standard attacks from hiding, but when I went to look for a reference, I couldn't find it.

- Saragos
Re: Poaching with spears 10/19/2020 09:44 AM CDT
Poach does exist as a verb: I used it a few times while training a baby ranger.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Poaching with spears 10/19/2020 04:07 PM CDT
> Poach does exist as a verb: I used it a few times while training a baby ranger.

I know it does. But I was under the impression that the poach verb was mechanically the same thing as using FIRE when you're stealthed. This exists in other places as well - you don't need to use the AMBUSH verb, though AFAIK it's still live, and ATTACK verb still exists as well.

A friend found a link to a comment by Kodius that's not direct confirmation, but implies that poaching and ambushing are the same thing mechanically: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Stealth_Fix_-_12/15/2012_-_13:53

- Saragos
Re: Poaching with spears 10/19/2020 09:37 PM CDT
>A friend found a link to a comment by Kodius that's not direct confirmation, but implies that poaching and ambushing are the same thing mechanically:

You and I read that post very differently.

Also game text doesn't backup your supposition:

ambush
You leap out of hiding and ambush a freckled forager goblin, catching it off guard.
< Driving in like the overwhelming force of a hurricane, you jab a steel sabre at a freckled forager goblin. A freckled forager goblin attempts to dodge, avoiding only some of the blow.
The sabre lands a solid hit to the goblin's left leg.
[You're bruised, adeptly balanced and in good position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

jab
You leap out of hiding and ambush a freckled forager goblin, catching it by surprise.
< With the precision and elegance of a plunging goshawk, you jab a steel sabre at a freckled forager goblin. A freckled forager goblin attempts to evade, only slightly avoiding the blow.
The sabre lands a hard hit to the goblin's neck.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

poach
You slip quietly from your hiding place, convinced that you successfully poached your target.
Your attempt is slightly hindered by your target shield.
< Moving with the precision of a mongoose, you poach a crossbow bolt at a hostile forager goblin. A hostile forager goblin attempts to dodge, moving directly into the blow.
The bolt lands a spine-rattling strike that lightly bruises the goblin's side with an attack which fails to pierce the skin, lightly stunning it.
The crossbow bolt lodges itself shallowly into the forager goblin!
[You're solidly balanced and in good position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

fire
You come out of hiding.
Your attempt is slightly hindered by your target shield.
< Driving in with an overwhelming assault, you fire a crossbow bolt at a hostile forager goblin. A hostile forager goblin fails to dodge, failing miserably.
The bolt lands an annihilating strike (Urrem'tier would be proud!) that stabs the fleshy portion of the right arm.
The crossbow bolt lodges itself shallowly into the forager goblin!
A hostile forager goblin collapses to the ground, shuddering and moaning until it ceases all movement.
[You're solidly balanced]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Poaching with spears 10/20/2020 08:19 AM CDT
Based on my testing `poach` gives a mechanical benefit over `fire`. In terms of damage (assuming you pass the stealth check) it goes

poach >> snipe > fire

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Poaching with spears 10/20/2020 03:28 PM CDT
I definitely trust Hanryu's methodology, so I'll take that to mean poach is better.

Regarding the proposal, it definitely sounds interesting, then. Depending on how big the bonus is, it may need to be weight-limited, as there are some serious business HT weapons, and I could see this becoming the "right answer" for Rangers, which it probably shouldn't be.

- Saragos
Re: Poaching with spears 10/21/2020 10:03 AM CDT
I do trust Hanryu's data. However with SNIPE you have a chance to stay hidden for those that use stealth to train bow. Depending on your stealth and bow skills it might mean that it doesn't make a difference for training. For me it's worth it to stay hidden while loading a bow for the second shot.

Just a thought so you're aware of that. Whereas POACH in my limited experience always pulls you from hiding. If I'm wrong let me know.

Bluefalcon