A change of philosophy regarding the ranger trail system 10/17/2020 07:46 AM CDT
Most rangers agree that there is a lack of incentive for a ranger to use the trail system due to their slow nature in getting from A to B as well as their lack of efficiency for training purposes. I would like to propose some changes that I think will address the problem. Instead of the philosophy being "we need to find a way to make ranger trails faster than main road travel", what if instead we embrace a philosophy of "ranger trails may be slower, but it is worthwhile for rangers to use it if they have the time to spare because of the efficiency of training it provides to certain skills."

As things stand right now, there are a great many trails that do not train any ranks once you reach a certain threshold in scouting and perception. I suggest that this be changed such that all trails train some ranks in scouting and perception regardless of how many ranks you currently have, as well as the number of ranks gained to be overall higher for all trails. This should still proportioned such that the long, difficult trails train more efficiently than the shorter trails despite how much longer they are to run. This will incentivize the use of the ranger trail system to be used as a rule rather than an exception, despite the fact that the trails are actually slower than main road travel.

In addition to the initial ranks trained by running the trail, the messages that pop up as you make your journey should correspond to random "easter egg" skills that are trained while running the trail. For example, different messages could correspond to ranks gained in outdoorsmanship, stealth, tactics, and/or whatever other skills you can imagine that would make sense in the context of a ranger making their way through an arduous and difficult off-road journey. There could even be messages that train scouting and perception further than the base ranks gained by running the trail. Since these messages happen at a relatively constant rate, the longer, more difficult trails would naturally train more bonus ranks than the shorter trails, further incentivizing their use.

By the time the ranger is finished traveling the trails, they should feel that the extra time spent doing so was worth it, despite the trail being slower to travel. If the above changes are implemented, I believe this will solve the problem to enough of a degree that rangers will be incentivized to actually use the ranger trail system.