Ranger Calls 03/26/2016 07:55 AM CDT

What do you guys think about giving only Rangers a perk where they could call out into the wild that would give a chance to attract critters into the room? I know it's not as easy to implement as it sounds being it messes with what spawns in other rooms in the area. It's just an idea, I do feel Rangers are outdated and the current implementations for them just really aren't used enough.
Re: Ranger Calls 03/26/2016 05:44 PM CDT
Being able to call critters into the room might cause more game imbalance in that even more players would want to play rangers, which there are already plenty of, than play other professions.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=Julius+Ceasar&pg=1
Re: Ranger Calls 03/26/2016 06:02 PM CDT
Barbarians have an ability like this already when they use a Warhorn:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Warhorn

And Bards should be getting this ability again when all of their magic is brought into 3.0 land:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Call_of_the_Siren_%282.0%29

I would like to see Rangers get something like this as well, though the lore behind it kind of has me stumped. As 'Protectors of Nature', it seems backwards that they would summon critters just to slaughter them. Though many things are backwards in this realm.
Re: Ranger Calls 03/28/2016 01:51 PM CDT

>>As 'Protectors of Nature', it seems backwards that they would summon critters just to slaughter them. Though many things are backwards in this realm.

This would depend on how you look at it.

Protectors could mean a lot. Everything from killing off over population to removing "sick" or "diseased" animals or removing unnatural creatures from the lands.
Re: Ranger Calls 03/28/2016 02:25 PM CDT
>>As 'Protectors of Nature', it seems backwards that they would summon critters just to slaughter them. Though many things are backwards in this realm.<<

We hunt boar and deer and other wild animals. One can say that we keep certain animal populations in check to keep nature at a better balance. (OOC: Real life example: wild boar are not native to North America and as a result they have no natural predators to keep them in check on that continent. The boars often eat so much that they ruin the natural environment that a great deal many other creatures suffer. The same could be said for boa constrictors in Florida. By hunting these animals in these areas, we are actually preserving nature.)

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=Julius+Ceasar&pg=1
Re: Ranger Calls 07/01/2016 05:03 PM CDT
Perhaps we become more aware of them because nature begins to point out the unnatural in some critters and makes us more aware of animals that need culled.

IE: Beseech Elathia to Purify
"As the offering of your spirit seems into the ground around you experience an exhilarating link with the natural forces around you allowing you to sense the impurities and weaknesses in the environment around you. As the link solidifies you realize that, because of the link you now share with nature, weaker creatures are drawn to you to end their suffering and unnatural creatures seem to be drawn with a fierce hate, determined to end the blinding holy light of the connection with Elanthia.

My punctuation and grammar have always stunk but you get the idea.
Re: Ranger Calls 07/02/2016 01:05 AM CDT
I've always thought Rangers should have something similar to this....my thought process was more around War Horns but name them something Rangerish because it makes sense Rangers would be good at locating critters. Other than it being a beseech I like it a lot.

Gross. That's gross. You're gross.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Ranger Calls 07/02/2016 08:55 AM CDT
> And Bards should be getting this ability again when all of their magic is brought into 3.0 land:
> https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Call_of_the_Siren_%282.0%29

Is that still the case? I vaguely recall a red post a while back saying that siren may not be coming back. Something to do with it being unnecessary due to spawn changes.

That said, I think this would be a pretty cool scouting addition that mixes with the magic system.

> Spell: lifesense
> 2 slots, augmentation
> Gives you a pulsing spot effect on invisible and hiding people in the room. You can interact with them without pointing. Scouting buff, rangers only. Gives the ability to find water holes in addition to animal tracks.

> Scout area
Anyone can use this ability, but it's heavily weighted towards scouting.
Uses & trains: scouting (rangers only) + outdoorsmanship + perception to search the area for tracks of a game trail/animal tracks/whatever. It can't be refreshed, but the creator can destroy it. Creates an object in a natural room that has a numeric value equal to some formula of the above. It's heavily weighted towards scouting, so rangers do it best. This object will periodically pulse with an atmo message. If there are creatures in the room then another creature may join them at the watering hole/show up on the trail. This drains some of the power. Wounded creatures, or creatures with something lodged in them, won't run away. Instead, they'll approach the watering hole and care for their wounds. Animal tracks only spawn. Level of wilderness and time of day affects difficulty (like foraging).

Messaging could be something along the lines of,

With the spell:
* You follow the tracks from a nearby game trail to a small body of water. Carefully tailoring the environment, you make it inviting to local animal life (Great success).
* You follow the tracks from a nearby game trail to a small body of water. You leave the area as undisturbed as you found it. (Good success)
* You follow the tracks from a nearby game trail to a small body of water. Moving clumsily, you destroy some of the nearby foliage. (Moderate failure).
* You follow the tracks from a nearby game trail to a small body of water. Moving like a lumbering oaf, you contaminate the environment. (Great failure)

Without the spell:
* You locate a well-traveled game trail. (Moderate success).
* You locate a nearby game trail. (Moderate success).
* You locate a game trail, but it looks faded and poorly used. (Moderate failure).
* You fail to find the hints of a game trail, but you can't make out the finer details (Great failure).

Benefits:
* A way to train scouting that doesn't involve hunt, and a use other than trails.
* Everyone gets a way to increase spawn, rangers benefit the most, and it's limited to natural areas.
* Anyone with the non-signature spell can protect their expensive consumables that may lodge. (watering hole)