Constructive Suggestions 01/07/2016 12:51 PM CST
Most players are unhappy with Ranger Scouting and, more importantly, the time it takes to run a trail. However, instead of posting this in the complaint folder with a negative tone, I'd rather post it here with a positive one.

The main issue with ranger trails is that they aren't any faster than just running a regular travel script with the genie automapper. I completely understand that re-writing code is a ton of work.

Please, help me understand. Why can't we just leave all the existing code for trails in place and just reduce all the timers so they complete faster? Why isn't that an option? I genuinely am curious. It seems like such an easy fix. What am I missing?

I would make several other suggestions for companions and beseeches. Instead of gutting the systems and undertaking a massive project, can't we just quickly and easily remove the part of the code where the companion runs away or dies? Just take that part out. That would at least give Rangers some immediate relief until a long term robust system gets put in place.

Thanks in advance and hopefully this thread stays positive, helpful and constructive.

-Nate
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/07/2016 06:33 PM CST
Just a note to reference back on two other threads I had going back in November (I think?) but I had a lot of people post suggestions for things and then another thread post complaints for current things.

While right now I've only made public two of the Ranger projects I'm working on, there are quite a few that are topping my list. The problem of Scouting is one of them. I'm not ready to make public any plans for how to handle it yet -- primarily because I haven't solidified the direction I'm taking. Once I get closer to that stuff, I've said that I'll be quite transparent on everything.

That said, I'm happy to read along in this thread to see what sort of stuff you guys have on this particular topic. Everything from what would be ideal to what would be simply.. acceptable.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/09/2016 09:39 AM CST
It's exciting to hear that you have projects and ideas lined up. I'd love to hear more when the time comes.

Personally, I always try to tackle the smaller projects first and knock those out before getting knee-deep in a massive system re-write. With that in mind, any suggestions I make for guild improvement come from a "low hanging fruit" mindset, such as reducing the timers on trails and making companions more permanent.

Another question I thought of was what ever happened to Tracking? When I first started playing a Ranger way back when, we had Tracking as a guild skill instead of Scouting. I could track <person> and stick to them like glue. It was hard to shake a Ranger who had a good track on you. What happened to that? Why was that taken away? It was such a fun and useful ability that I also thought made a lot of sense from a guild prospective. Would that be an easy thing to give back to Rangers since the code for the Tracking system is already written somewhere and proven to work? What are your thoughts on that?

-Nate
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/09/2016 10:12 AM CST

Tracking wasn't taken away. You can still track a person, or creature. The skill itself was renamed scouting so it could have broader influences.

You used to be able to track someone, log out, and when you come back track them across the world or bypass natural barrier skill checks in just a couple seconds. This was rewritten years ago. More recently (but still a while ago) it became scouting.

Scouting influences tracking, the ranger trail system, the various scout commands (scout area, awareness, tracks). It can be trained with the HUNT command now as well.

Jalika
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/14/2016 10:07 PM CST
I'll throw in a couple of ideas.

1. Scouting - with higher skill, roundtimes for movement are decreased through rough terrain (swimming, climbing, the ropes at rossman, etc) but skillgain remains the same.

2. Companions - possibly ditch existing ones and let us tame animal type critters to fight for us based on outdoorsmanship

I'm not sure if these are the best ideas I would primarily just like to see myself be able to actually use scouting for something.
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/15/2016 12:54 PM CST
I never understood why the wolf companions were/are not designed to fight alongside us. I mean, we hunt bloodwolves, dire wolves, etc, and yet we capture a wolf and can't train it to fight for us?
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/15/2016 01:35 PM CST
Joke's on you, they're all chihuahua wolves.

But really, if I can come up with a good way to handle companions, there's a lot of things I'd like to make reality for them.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/15/2016 03:07 PM CST
>>But really, if I can come up with a good way to handle companions, there's a lot of things I'd like to make reality for them.

Whatever happened to Ricinus's pet core that was suppose to replace companions?
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/15/2016 03:19 PM CST
>Joke's on you, they're all chihuahua wolves.

Perfectly plausible. And I bet a Ranger could train them to nip at the heels of foes and make them trip!
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/15/2016 07:41 PM CST
<<Joke's on you, they're all chihuahua wolves.>>

<<Perfectly plausible. And I bet a Ranger could train them to nip at the heels of foes and make them trip!>>

LOl That reminds me of a post of raccoons in plate armor with 2 handed sword fighting war mammoths. I'll have to see if I can find that and repost it.

Bluefalcon
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/16/2016 05:46 PM CST
>>Whatever happened to Ricinus's pet core that was suppose to replace companions?

I believe he's been pulled to other projects and is juggling a new baby with a RL job and DR at the moment, but that's my best guess. I'm not sure about that particular project but I'd be disinclined to wait for it if I pick up companions, personally. I'd rather write something I know could be pulled into a pet core like that, which the current companions don't seem to be ideal for.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/16/2016 10:11 PM CST
Thanks for the reply.
Re: Constructive Suggestions 01/18/2016 07:47 PM CST
what form companions take, i hope charisma plays a role in strength/abilities. i currently find very little use for it and dislike that it's a health pool against certain spells.