Thievery 04/17/2017 12:18 PM CDT

Any tips for starting to train this? I returned a few months back and have gotten a lot of help from the ranger mentors (thank you, guys) I have got most of the changes and stuff figured out. Didn't really train this before but I don't want to keep ignoring a survival skill. Any advice on what where and how often I should steal to learn this would be appreciated.

Thievery: 28
Stealth: 293
Appraisal: 308

Agility : 40
Discipline : 43
Reflex : 41

Drizett D'Urdain
Re: Thievery 04/17/2017 12:47 PM CDT
My honest, sincere, advice, as a thief?

Don't.

If you're not forced to, just ignore the skill. It doesn't do anything and it's a hassle to keep up with. Thieves get access to Mark, which can help identify valid targets.

If you must train the skill, download one of the progressive stealing scripts and either use it, or see how it charted out the exp vs. weight/cost/size values and steal the appropriate items. Lich is supposed to have a script that's quite good.

If you have to do it by hand, you're just going to have to do a lot of trial and error according to what rooms are wilderness friendly or neutral for you (a lot are set very strangely to accommodate Rangers).

Stealing works off calculations that weight in cost, weight, size, in that order (I think). So stealing a 1 copper rock will always be easier than stealing a 1 copper boulder.

Stealing is on a 1 hour timer per shop, from your last theft. Each steal attempt per shop makes it a bit harder until the timer runs out. If you're willing to simply get caught each time you train, you wan waltz in, steal an item that teaches decently until you get caught, then move to the next shop.

When you have more stealth than thievery, hiding will give a small bonus to steal.
Re: Thievery 04/17/2017 02:07 PM CDT

My honest advice as a ranger, do it if you have fun doing it (this is a game, right?). Thievery is my highest skill, eeking out perception by 3 ranks.

I've never used the progressive stealing lists, and have written my own. Happy to share my setup if you like and are a genie user (Aim - SpiffDR). I agree doing it by hand would be mind numbing. I wouldn't worry too much about urban settings while training since you'll be getting in and out relatively quickly. Use MON if you have it. While you are testing out which items are best expect you may end up dropping some bonus. If you aren't stealing in a certain area, turn yourself in there so your warrant costs can drop. (right now I'm stealing in Hib/Shard, so I made sure to have no warrants in Theren/Muspari/Qi/Zoluren).

This list is obsolete since the changes, but gives you a good sense of progression. Make sure you use all shops in the area. Check out arthe, wolf, tiger. Buy a membership to the Raven VIP room which adds a shop. If you're premie, don't forget those.
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Stealing_list

App value and weight calculate difficulty. Weight can add difficulty very quickly, so I tend to go for the lighter more expensive items. This gives the benefit of higher valued items to pawn. Pawning at low levels will basically suck, since pawned items give diminishing returns and you'll be competing with others at low levels of thievery to pawn items.

Since you can't mark, pay attention to the difficulty of the item when you steal. While its a range, I tend to steal things that teach "Acceptably". Boost your agility (CS). Wear agility/discipline stat boosting rings. Don't wear armor, of course. As your your stealth is higher, hide. (I hide anyways, since its trains okay). I assume it works off effective ranks so cast EM. Alchemist, bathhouse, cleric shop, general store, kaerna, florist are great starter places. Look for anything that has cheap items.

I have a genie window dedicated to stealing. It echos into there with a time stamp when I start stealing in each town, so I know when the hour long "heat" timer is up and I can steal again. I have it echo in when an item becomes trivial to learn, so I don't miss it and can update my script. I have it echo in when I get caught so I can begin to notice if I'm always getting caught on a certain item and adjust appropriately. Every couple weeks I'll evaluate and see if I want to up the quantity of items I steal at a shop, test it out, and pull back of necessary. I usually only steal 1 or 2 of something, and only more if there isn't a harder item to steal from in that shop.

With over 1000 ranks I can lock thievery in under 15 minutes. Maybe less if I pushed it, but I try and avoid arrests. This is 3 towns (hib, horse, shard) and one long scouting trails (hib to shard). Its infinitely better than it was before. Does it compete with combat where you can train multiple skills in less time? Of course not. And just like I'm never going to want to train forging, lots of folks aren't going to enjoy training thievery, but if you want to it is certainly viable and moves quickly as a survival prime.

Jalika
Re: Thievery 04/17/2017 02:41 PM CDT
BTW, my post was such a down sell because I knew Jalika's player would come along with the upsell. I hate the skill and the training, she loves 'em. Figured both sides and all.
Re: Thievery 04/17/2017 03:19 PM CDT

Its like a reflex. I can't help myself.

Jalika
Re: Thievery 04/19/2017 03:10 PM CDT
@BadG Doesn't thievery ranks help protect against how much is stolen from you while perception is checked to see if you can catch them or not?

@Jal I love hearing about your accomplishments! When you say Shard, does that include SCC, Survival Shop, and Fayrins?

-K
Re: Thievery 04/19/2017 05:33 PM CDT
>Doesn't thievery ranks help protect against how much is stolen from you while perception is checked to see if you can catch them or not?

Does it matter?

No, really. When/why would you be walking around with more than a couple gold? Close your gem pouch and tie it off, and you're set.

Anyone engaging in player stealing at this point is just fishing for consent to attack you anyway.
Re: Thievery 04/19/2017 06:01 PM CDT
>Doesn't thievery ranks help protect against how much is stolen from you while perception is checked to see if you can catch them or not?

This is old information and no longer true. Perception is now the skill that governs protection from theft.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Thievery_skill#Defending_against_stealing

- Navesi
Re: Thievery 04/20/2017 12:49 AM CDT
@Navesi Thanks! I haven't tried stealing since 2002...

-Kivian
Re: Thievery 04/20/2017 11:03 PM CDT

>When you say Shard, does that include SCC, Survival Shop, and Fayrins?

It doesn't at the moment, as I lock before I finish with all the shops in Shard itself. It does include the stuff out the south gate however.

>Anyone engaging in player stealing at this point is just fishing for consent to attack you anyway.

While I know there are people who do that, the blanket statement is false.

Jalika
Re: Thievery 04/21/2017 03:41 PM CDT
>Anyone engaging in player stealing at this point is just fishing for consent to attack you anyway.

I caught someone stealing from me the other day and we had a good RP interaction because of it. And nobody got attacked.

- Navesi
Re: Thievery 04/21/2017 03:58 PM CDT

> I caught someone stealing from me the other day and we had a good RP interaction because of it. And nobody got attacked.

Wow. That's amazing. I don't really know what to say to that. It's as if you just told me you saw a drunk Raesh climing moongates in the empath's guild.