Scouting Out of Combat at Low Levels 07/17/2015 09:07 AM CDT
Hi! I currently have 53 scouting/81 perception, and really can't seem to get moving outside of combat. I can run the easiest trails with no problem, but they've never taught a thing (well, 1/34). I've done the whole "HUNT" with forest wardens, which can get things moving, except then my bonus is shot, and I can't even see some of the most simplistic searchable paths. Any suggestions for other methods outside of HUNT in combat? It seems like I'm either missing something, or there's a HUGE issue with learning this at low levels.
Re: Scouting Out of Combat at Low Levels 07/17/2015 09:29 AM CDT
Not currently playing a Ranger, so take this with a grain of salt... but if you're barely learning from a trail then you need to find a harder one according to the past few times this has come up. You mentioned that you can't see other trails that you have tried. Are you a f2p account? You might have to leave the Zoluren area to find one for your skill.

This list might help you find one:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ranger_trail_system

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Scouting Out of Combat at Low Levels 07/17/2015 09:55 AM CDT
Run the trail from Crossing to the south side of the Faldesu and then back. I started with about the same ranks you have and it was still locking me the last I ran it at 250+ Scouting. It did take awhile to lock at that level though.
Re: Scouting Out of Combat at Low Levels 07/18/2015 05:56 AM CDT
Do you mean this room?

[Northeast Wilds, Birder Lane]
One of the gates of the Crossing lies before you to the northwest, and a steady stream of adventurers flows by. You notice a high proportion of wizards, grey-bearded and fierce-eyed, leaning on staves or muttering to themselves or their familiars. A small lizard barely escapes death underfoot, and you pay more attention to where you tread, lest you inadvertently do in some Mage's favorite pet.

I can't see the trail, if so. I even had another ranger cast a strong WS and SOTT to boost my scouting and still didn't see it.
Re: Scouting Out of Combat at Low Levels 07/19/2015 07:08 PM CDT
You should be really close to running that trail. Was your bonus by chance shot when you tried to see the trail?

You can also HUNT outside of combat to learn it.
I'm not really sure where these skill cutoffs are, but at really low levels you can learn from HUNT without anyone nearby.
At somewhat higher skill levels you will only learn when you see NPCs within range.
At much higher levels you will only be able to learn it when within range of certain NPCs, like forest wardens and magical feat trainers (that I know of, probably others, too)

You have a few options.
If you hang out in the north end of the Crossing ranger guild yard, you can hunt and the journeyman in the south end of the yard will allow you to learn it for a while (not sure how many ranks) You can learn from a normal HUNT every.. 75 seconds, I think?

When I say you can learn from a normal HUNT, there are two ways to use it. After you do the initial HUNT you'll get a numeric list of people and NPCs in range. You can then HUNT # to hunt to one of the targets. Both of those actions teach scouting and perception.

I can't remember if the journeyman if HUNTable to or not. Not everything is. From the north end of the yard you could also HUNT, HUNT # to the journeyman every so often.
Go to the north end of the yard, listen to a class, collect some piles, HUNT, HUNT #, go back north and listen to the class some more.

HUNTing teaches more perception than it does scouting, while trails are the opposite. Once you are skilled enough to take trails and don't have a burden or wounds then that will be a more efficient way to train scouting.
Personally, I just use HUNT to train it, in and out of combat. I also have burden issues and keep a few pet bleeders so trails aren't as attractive to me, but that is personal preference.

You mentioned losing your bonus hunting the forest warden. The way I do it is to sit at the ranger guild or another ranger friendly area doing whatever I'm doing and occasionally I'll get up and hunt the forest warden down, then run back.