Training Help 05/10/2015 04:54 PM CDT

Reply Reply Delete Delete
Hello all,

I decided to activate my account for a bit and could use some help training a few skills and could use some help picking spells.

How can I go about effectively training augmentation (215), athletics (383), and scouting (407)? What spells should I get? So far I have the following:

In the chapter entitled "Animal Abilities", you have notes on the Wolf Scent [ws], See the Wind [stw], Instinct [inst], Grizzly Claws [griz], and Sense of the Tiger [sott] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Wilderness Survival", you have notes on the Earth Meld [em], Blend, Skein of Shadows [sks], and Athleticism spells.

In the chapter entitled "Nature Manipulation", you have notes on the Compost, Branch Break [bb], and Eagle's Cry [ec] spells.

You do not know any magic feats.

You have 31 spell slots available.

Thanks,
Player of Pathyn
Re: Training Help 05/10/2015 07:52 PM CDT

> How can I go about effectively training augmentation (215)

Use discern on your augmentation spells and see how much mana you can put into them. Cast them at that, and I'd recommend using cambridth. A straight cast will drain you quickly. Prepping at min, charging up a camb in small amounts, and then casting will train you well. If you have the skill, try using prep symbiosis after you prepare the spell at minimum. This will let you make it arbitrary more difficult, and thus training better with far less mana. Try this with athleticism.

> athletics (383)

Probably not the best method, but climb practice is what I use. Find something that would teach you, and climb practice <thing>
Re: Training Help 05/11/2015 09:07 PM CDT
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.
Re: Training Help 05/12/2015 05:38 PM CDT
I believe I was able to start climbing under the gondola around those ranks, as long as my bonus was strong.
At the time I had to cast spider climb as high as I could and use a climbing rope, but it trained very well then and for the next several hundred ranks.

Since buffs changed in 3.0, I'm not sure if you'd need more or less to climb them successfully now.

For scouting, HUNTing in combat is a good way to keep a little bit on your mind.
When I first enter a hunting area the first thing I do is HUNT, both to learn a bit scouting/perception and to get an idea where everyone is, then HUNT # to hunt down a creature, then I wander to the room I want to actually hunt in. While in the hunting ground you can learn from HUNT every...75 seconds, I think? Somewhere around there. When I get ready to leave I do the HUNT, HUNT # thing again to hunt down a random create, then leave. HUNT and HUNT # both teach every 75 seconds or so, so getting both in teach more, but moving around with HUNT # isn't too practical in combat.

Trails also teach a lot better than they used to, but you have to find a trail that matches your skill. I believe the difficulty listed here pretty much still applies:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ranger_trail_system

Pretty much, if you run a trail and it doesn't teach very much, try a tougher one.

Also, there are a few NPCs that you can HUNT down that teach to high levels of skill.
Every time I pass through Crossing I run in front of the bank, and HUNT, HUNT # down Hengwild, the forest warden. If I pass through Riverhaven I HUNT down Dupre a few paces south of the north gate.
Magical feat trainers also teach from HUNTing to a high level of skill. If Dupre is being elusive in Riverhaven you might see Egg...something within range, or if you spend a lot of time around Boar Clan there is a magical feat trainer wandering around town there.
Re: Training Help 05/12/2015 06:38 PM CDT
Welcome back! You need some magic feats too. Most useful for me is dedicated cambrinth use, raw channeling and deep attunement. There are a whole bunch more of them but you should decide if they are for you. In any case, find the feats teacher in each major town and study him to find out how to interact with him.

Zinaca and her still a baby wolf, Lucky
Re: Training Help 05/12/2015 07:12 PM CDT
OH Wow!!!
Welcome back!!

I'd pick up some spells in the Analogous Patterns book, Ease, MAF, and GAF is what I have now. In animal abilities I'd also pick up WOTP. How's your targeted magic? If it needs help I'd pick up Eagles Cry and Stampede to start, as well as branch break, swarm, and haraweaps bonds, I'd also pick up Skein of Shadows to help my utility magic. I also have the feats of Cautious Casting, Injured Casting, Efficient Harnessing and Dedicated Cambrinth Use.

You can now swim the Segolthia, and there's an island in the middle of the river that teaches athletics well to at least 436. (What I have now.) You do know about practice climb <object>? If not I'd suggest looking that up in game.

Your scouting is a bit above mine, but there's a trail from river south of Riverhaven to lagenfirth, then to Rossman's and back. That still teaches me well. Might try that.

Bluefalcon
Re: Training Help 05/12/2015 07:22 PM CDT
>I'd pick up some spells in the Analogous Patterns book, Ease, MAF, and GAF is what I have now.

I don't recommend learning anything in the AP spellbook permanently, because most of the time you're better off using something from your own spellbook or a feat. Especially given how slot-starved magic terts are.

Ease you shouldn't need after level 15 or 30, and certainly not at the ranks you have. MAF I would hold off on only because barriers are getting reviewed right now, and will be pushed to test in the next week. GAF is the exception, since you need it for research, and research is basically a mandatory thing after a few hundred ranks in magic.

Now, picking those up on a scroll? Normally I'd say sure without any qualification, but again, at several hundred ranks in magics, you're probably best served using your scroll slot(s) with either a cross-mana scroll for training sorcery, or an empath scroll for awesomeness.
Re: Training Help 05/12/2015 08:31 PM CDT
>> and research is basically a mandatory thing after a few hundred ranks in magic.

That hasn't been my experience at all. With my lowest non combat magic being 683 (Sorcery), I have never had to use research.

I admit, this is TF, so I am pretty much always casting, but there's very little round time in doing so, so it's not a burden.
Re: Training Help 05/12/2015 08:53 PM CDT
Research isn't necessary at all, well not up to 1200+ ranks at least. Symbiosis is however.
Re: Training Help 05/13/2015 09:58 AM CDT
>Research isn't necessary at all, well not up to 1200+ ranks at least. Symbiosis is however.

My apologies. I always lump the two together mentally.
Re: Training Help 05/13/2015 05:15 PM CDT
Thanks for all the responses! It feels good to be back. I was only going to pop in to pass off some gear to my f2p barb, but I logged onto Pathyn and got sucked back in...

These are the spells I've chosen so far:

You recall the spells you have learned from your training.

In the chapter entitled "Animal Abilities", you have notes on the Wolf Scent [ws], See the Wind [stw], Instinct [inst], Grizzly Claws [griz], Sense of the Tiger [sott], and Claws of the Cougar [cotc] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Wilderness Survival", you have notes on the Hands of Lirisa [hol], Earth Meld [em], Blend, Skein of Shadows [sks], and Athleticism spells.

In the chapter entitled "Nature Manipulation", you have notes on the Compost, Swarm, Harawep's Bonds [hb], Branch Break [bb], and Eagle's Cry [ec] spells.

You do not know any magic feats.

You have 19 spell slots available.

And my magic skills:

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Life Magic: 238 23% clear (0/34) Attunement: 226 46% clear (0/34)
Arcana: 102 18% clear (0/34) Targeted Magic: 99 75% clear (0/34)
Augmentation: 217 25% clear (0/34) Debilitation: 187 72% clear (0/34)
Utility: 168 85% clear (0/34) Warding: 164 51% clear (0/34)
Sorcery: 2 57% clear (0/34)

I was never into magic and I didn't think I would enjoy it upon returning, but our spells seem to make more sense now. I've been able to keep Augmentation going by just cycling through a couple of spells while in combat. I just need 3 ranks in Augmentation to gain the circle I'm aiming to hit before I go and back train a bunch of skills. I'll have to check out the feat trainers later. I had not realized that Rangers had access to those.

I'm very happy to see that I can actually learn Scouting now. I had trouble with it before I stopped playing. I was one of those that wasn't receiving any exp in it while using the Hunt verb and my bonus exp wasn't being applied to it properly. I'll give the trails a try this weekend. Hunt in combat has been working splendidly.

I've been using the walls around Crossings to train athletics and I want to find an alternative. I get locked fairly quick, but my bonus suffers for it. I'll definitely give the island a try.

Thanks again!

Player of Pathyn
Re: Training Help 05/14/2015 03:22 PM CDT
<<I've been using the walls around Crossings to train athletics and I want to find an alternative. I get locked fairly quick, but my bonus suffers for it.>>

Pathyn, if you go out the west gate, go trail,ne and e, you will see you are in wilderness ne from the trail and east from the trail. There you can climb the walls to your hearts content and when the walls no longer teach, just go to the deadfall room and climb TREE for practice. But if you like to swim by all means use the island. I like the island too. Just for info, I have gotten my bonus to full bonus just climbing the walls in those rooms.

Zinaca and her baby wolf, Lucky
Re: Training Help 05/14/2015 05:06 PM CDT
Does climb practice not work for Rangers?
Re: Training Help 05/14/2015 07:36 PM CDT
Thanks, Zineca! I'll give it a try next time I'm in the area.
Re: Training Help 05/15/2015 01:50 AM CDT
<<Does climb practice not work for Rangers?>>

Yes it works for us but it has to be on something that is a challenge for you. I can easily lock my climbing through practice at the branch. I usually get 4 to 6 points per climbing set...until it says you rest from climbing. Then I repeat until locked.

Zinaca and her baby wolf, Lucksy
Re: Training Help 05/26/2015 03:02 AM CDT
>>I get locked fairly quick, but my bonus suffers for it.

I'll also mention you should get the Memory of Nature spell. Since your magics are a bit low it could be hard to cast, though the spell "remembers" the wilderness and your bonus will suffer less while in town.

Welcome back!

- Player of Saracus

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elanthiprofiles - http://elanthiprofiles.com - Show off your numbers!
Outlander - http://outlanderapp.com - Mac game client.