Scouting 03/08/2013 10:58 AM CST
I am at about rank 150, and noticed that scouting trails outside the crossing is REALLY slow going. Is there a better way to train this?
Re: Scouting 03/08/2013 12:51 PM CST
Use a longer trail. Trails were "fixed" not long ago so that the longer the trail the better you learn from it. If you can run the South Haven Ferry to Lang trail then use that one. Otherwise try the Crossing to South Haven Ferry or the South Haven Ferry to Knife Clan.

Re: Scouting 03/08/2013 01:52 PM CST
Any direct link where I can find these trails?
Re: Scouting 03/08/2013 02:17 PM CST
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/RTS

GENT
Re: Scouting 05/05/2013 10:02 AM CDT
Is there a timer for scouting exp when running trails? My ranger just got enough to start seeing the trailmarkers and i cant seem to get past 1/34. I only have 38 scouting and about 55 perception. Was running the trails back to back, back and forth and i see better exp gains from HUNT and TRACK. TBH, i wasnt even expecting to be able to see the trailmarkers without wolf scent up, since e-pedia listed easiest trails at about 55 scouting skill.
Re: Scouting 05/05/2013 10:53 AM CDT
Sorry for double posting, but i think its just extremely slow to start...after about 20 minutes of non stop trails i've managed to make it up to about 7/34. Is this normal?
Re: Scouting 05/05/2013 11:29 AM CDT
For the easiest trails, yeah. You are much better off learning Scouting in combat using HUNT, until you can run the longer trails.

GENT
Re: Scouting 05/05/2013 11:41 AM CDT
Bummer. And here i was so excited to finally not have to worry about juggling HUNT in my combat script anymore. Any ideas on which tier of trails ends up becoming efficient for training with? I'm using the Beginner/Easy/Intermediate/Advanced/Very Advanced/Expert tiers on elanthipedia as my point of reference.
Re: Scouting 05/05/2013 02:36 PM CDT
I just checked my old RTS order and locked scouting in about 20 mins. Z2->T3->Z19->T2->repeat, I believe those are all easy trails. I've been out of the loop on any training method changes, however when i tested that trail order, i seem to recall running different trails trains better then running the same trail back and forth, no idea if that still holds true or not. If the elanthipedia difficulties are accurate once you can start running those trails, you should be able to lock scouting significantly faster than i can.

Hope that helps,

Quidri
Re: Scouting 05/05/2013 04:14 PM CDT
>...And here i was so excited to finally not have to worry about juggling HUNT in my combat script anymore.

You'll never grow out of HUNT.
Re: Scouting 05/05/2013 07:03 PM CDT
Keep using HUNT for a bit longer, it trains crazy well at your level, and will keep your Perception up as well. You need both to run trails.

Once you have 60-80 ranks, you'll be able to run a good number of trails in the Crossing area, at which point you can try and train exclusively off those, if that is your goal. Otherwise, you should ALWAYS use HUNT in combat -- every 76 seconds will grant exp -- as you will be spending a great deal of time hunting, and running trails will limit the amount of training you can get done.

If you really want to use trails, just slog through the first 60-80 ranks and you should be able to use them to train. I know the most difficult trails train quite well, even at 600+ ranks. It's much more doable now after the exp tweaks.

Hope that helps,
GENT