Ranger Bonus 03/06/2013 10:06 PM CST
Hello Everyone, I have not played DR in many many years. I was looking for some clearing up on what EXACTLY the ranger bonus is and what it does. How bad does it effect your ranks etc.. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Re: Ranger Bonus 03/06/2013 11:20 PM CST
I would recommend checking out Elanthipedia.org. It should be able to answer nearly all your general game questions! That said, here is the low-down:

The Ranger Bonus is a passive skill bonus/penalty for all your survival skills (except Evasion). The maximum bonus and penalty are the same. It travels with you, so no matter where you are, the bonus/penalty is in effect. Your bonus drifts. The environmental setting of the room you are in will influence where your bonus goes (up or down). Wild areas are good, urban areas are bad. The more wild/urban an area is, the faster your bonus will regenerate/decay.

You can get a sense of the wilderness settings of the room you're in with the PACE verb (details in the article below).
You can get a sense of your current bonus by hiding and HOWLing (details in the article below).

There is a new spell, Memory of Nature, which will help preserve your bonus, regardless of the environmental setting of the area you are in. It is fairly difficult to cast, but is worth using if you plan to spend any significant amount of time in an urban area.

Here is a link for the article on the Ranger Bonus: http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Ranger_Bonus
Here is the announcement that was made when the new bonus system was released: http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Ranger_Bonus_2.0_-_6/17/2010_-_00:56:44

Hope that helps,
GENT
Re: Ranger Bonus 03/06/2013 11:24 PM CST
A ranger bonus is a bonus or penalty that affects all your survival skills with the exception of evasion (and stealing I believe). There are two parts to the bonus. One is a pool which is basically filled up or depleted based on how much time you spend in urban areas vs wilderness areas. If the pool being at the half way mark is your base ranks. Anything above the halfway mark would result in a bonus and anything below is a penalty. There is a cap to how good and how bad it can be. Also, doing rangerly things like foraging, running trails, skinning, etc, while in the wilderness will help increase your bonus pool.

The second part of our bonus is a simpler variable. It is based on the wilderness level of the room. A full wilderness room will result in a small boost to skills and lower the cost of casting spells. While more urban areas will start to result in a small penalty to skills and can even prevent some spells from being cast at all.

Falker
Re: Ranger Bonus 03/07/2013 12:26 PM CST
This is the first time I have heard the part about doing rangerly things increasing your bonus pool. When I want to rebuild my bonus I tend to go out in the wilderness and do rangerly things either way, that's cool if it helps me recover quicker. Is this documented anywhere? Not that I doubt you, I just hadn't heard it before.

The easiest way I've been able understand the ranger bonus is to compare it to temperature. Hot is a good bonus/wilderness, cold is a bad bonus/urban. If you are in a heavy wilderness (hot) room your bonus (temperature) will rise until it reaches the same level as the room. The hotter the room you are in compared to your own temperature, the faster your temperature will increase until it matches.
Same with an urban area, the colder (more urban) the area the faster your temperature will drop until it matches.

Your bonus is constantly drifting one way or the other, working its way to match whatever the level of wildness of the room you are in is, until it matches that of the room.

That is how I understand it at least.
Re: Ranger Bonus 03/07/2013 02:11 PM CST
<<This is the first time I have heard the part about doing rangerly things increasing your bonus pool. When I want to rebuild my bonus I tend to go out in the wilderness and do rangerly things either way, that's cool if it helps me recover quicker. Is this documented anywhere? Not that I doubt you, I just hadn't heard it before.

I dont know if its been documented as far as Elanthipedia or anything, and given the awesome search function for these forums, I'm not sure how well/easy it would be to find it, but I'm pretty sure a few GMs (Jent is the main one that comes to mind) that have discussed our bonus, have always mentioned doing rangerly things to help recover faster.

Falker
Re: Ranger Bonus 03/07/2013 02:13 PM CST
One other thing about the bonus, that I just remembered, the lower your circle, the faster you both lose and gain your bonus back. The higher the circle, the slower. I've never personally verified this, but I know I've heard it a few times through the years.

Falker
Re: Ranger Bonus 03/07/2013 02:23 PM CST
>>This is the first time I have heard the part about doing rangerly things increasing your bonus pool.

I'm not sure it's been confirmed. Given the lack of granularity in bonus messaging it would be really hard to test.

The only way I could think to test it would be to sit in a urban room and constantly howl until you exactly hit the worst message, and then stay their for maybe exactly 1 hour to make sure you are tanked (or what we would define as tanked)

Then go to a room that someone identified using discern as an uber-wild room. Time how long it takes to get exactly back to the highest message.

Repeat this test, except collect rocks while waiting or bonus to return.

Do it 500 times to satisfy the data nuts on these boards that it's not confirmation bias or some other arbitrary item.

Post results.

Or... Sithix could just confirm.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Ranger Bonus 03/07/2013 02:25 PM CST
>>Do it 500 times to satisfy the data nuts on these boards that it's not confirmation bias or some other arbitrary item.

Only applies to things that make use of the RNG. Of course you knew this but couldn't miss a chance to show your disdain for statistics.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Ranger Bonus 03/07/2013 02:50 PM CST
>>to show your disdain for statistics.

I don't disdain them, I just think that there are times when the data is "close enough" that they are very necessary, but there are other times when I look at the data and go, "Okay, that's good enough for me to make a judgement".

I think my threshold for "good enough" is just a lot lower than others.

As for this experiment, there could be some factors could benefit from a large data samples: day/night, repetition of one skill vs. multiple skills, circle, etc.

Again, for me, if someone did it 1-time each way and the time was +/- 10% I'd probably, say "good enough".

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Ranger Bonus 03/07/2013 04:37 PM CST
"I don't disdain statistics, but here's why I think they're not needed."

OK.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh