arrow loss prevention 05/12/2009 01:02 PM CDT

Since making decent arrows is such a headache. Could we please get a beseech/skill/ability where any arrow of the Ranger's lodged in a critter(or person) or on the ground when used would return to the hand of the Ranger.
There would have to be a short timer on this of say 5 minutes or so. Or at least a homing sort of ability to locate the critter in the area which the arrow is lodged in or locate the arrow in general.

Celitha
Re: arrow loss prevention 05/12/2009 01:50 PM CDT
This used to be my primary use for tracking critters.

Assuming we can ever get near-instant tracking back (ala hunt) for short ranges, it would be great to be able to track to a critter that has one of my arrows lodged.

Before the changes to track, I'd track the critter with every shot to make sure I could chase it down when it ran.

I don't think there could possibly be a more IC use for tracking than finding a critter you just shot before it bleeds out and dies. Ironically the changes to make track use the RTS style movement made it least useful where it should have been most useful.

-pete
Re: arrow loss prevention 05/12/2009 03:58 PM CDT
There are a lot of ways we could get around this. A spell that makes magical arrows for us to load that just disappear or explode when lodged or whatever. A spell that imbues your arrows with, say vines, so that when you shoot the vines anchor the creature to the ground so it can't leave until the arrow falls out (or is tended). Making awaken forest worth using by having it last much longer, draw all aggro towards it, and survive a lot longer when swarmed.

Just a few off the top of my head, but there are a lot of things that we can do to help with losing so many damn arrows while hunting that also would be good for the guild for other reasons as well.
Re: arrow loss prevention 05/12/2009 07:27 PM CDT
>A spell that makes magical arrows for us to load that just disappear or explode when lodged or whatever.

::hears "Arrows that explode when lodged" Yes please very much... this would be a GREAT spell

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your counrty, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: arrow loss prevention 05/14/2009 11:33 PM CDT
I suggest...change the 'hunt' so when it shows the critters with the numbers it would say for example:

To the north:
1) A forest geni(with lodged arrow)
Re: arrow loss prevention 05/15/2009 06:26 AM CDT
>I suggest...change the 'hunt' so when it shows the critters with the numbers it would say for example:

That would be very nice.

OTOH, so far I've just trained Barn to the point I can just hunt with a bow at melee and use buffs to avoid or mitigate the hits.

Hard to lose arrows when the critter can't just leave the room.

I'm hoping the changes to high-end damage will hit around the same time I progress into crazy damage scaling land.

-pete
Re: arrow loss prevention 05/15/2009 06:50 AM CDT
It takes a LOT of stealth to be able to snipe at melee. You are spending a long long time in an area sniping at missle and pole and losing arrows the whole time before you're sniping from melee range.

Or, for some reason, you are firing out in the open and working 1 skill moderately well when you could be working 3 (vitally important, i might add) skills with no risk of an open roll.
Re: arrow loss prevention 05/15/2009 10:24 AM CDT
>It takes a LOT of stealth to be able to snipe at melee. You are spending a long long time in an area sniping at missle and pole and losing arrows the whole time before you're sniping from melee range.

>Or, for some reason, you are firing out in the open and working 1 skill moderately well when you could be working 3 (vitally important, i might add) skills with no risk of an open roll.

I'm sniping at melee without problems at level for my primary weapon. Since I came back from my hiatus from DR, I've been training stealths at melee with ambush combined with poach to start and then snipe when I got it.

My biggest problem hunting is that I ML my stealths before I ML all my weapons and defenses. It's only when I get down to the last one or two weapons I am training that I don't have to worry about that.

With my hunting style I also handle 3-4 critters at melee at my primary weapon level. MO is my highest weapon skill by far, so I am pretty much always in the middle of a group of critters if the area spawn cooperates.

-pete